PDA

View Full Version : PAX Prime Judge/Staff Call Now Open

Gwon
06-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Cryptozoic is now taking applications for sponsorship to 2011 PAX Prime. We are looking for judges and Champions that have tournament and administrative experience. PAX Prime will be held 26th August through 28th August, 2011 in Seattle, WA.

Washington State Convention & Trade Center
800 Convention Place
Seattle, WA 98101-2350

PAX Prime Information Page (http://www.wowtcg.com/tournaments/conventions/pax-prime-2011)

The sponsorship application window begins on 30 June, and will close on Wednesday 13 July 2011.

If you would like to apply for sponsorship, you must email volunteers@cryptozoic.com. Please put “2011 PAX Sponsorship” in the subject line.

Here is some useful information:
• There will be 2 sponsorships for this event, Hotel and/or Badge. Hotel sponsorships will be provided a shared hotel room from 25th August and leaving on 29 August 2011. The other is badge sponsorship. This is for those that have their travel and lodging covered and only need a badge. Those who do not require sponsorship for their hotel are more likely to be accepted. • You will be provided lunch _or_ a small stipend. No other costs will be covered.
• Judges are expected to wear nice, clean black slacks with black shoes. Additionally, you will be issued two Cryptozoic judge shirts if you have not already received one (from working a previous event). If you fail to meet the dress code, you will be asked to remedy the situation and if you cannot, you will not be asked to attend other shows on behalf of Cryptozoic. Non-judge staff will be expected to wear nice, clean blue jeans (with no holes, not tattered, no rips) and a Cryptozoic Event Staff shirt. If you have not received one yet, you will be given two.

Here are the requirements:

• Must have extensive experience conducting effective and efficient administrative tasks (Scorekeeping, Registration, League staff). OR Must have judge experience.
• Must be 18 years of age or older.
• Willing to work the entire event.
• Able to judge long hours. Days will be 8-10 hours.
• Able to lift heavy objects and perform other physically demanding jobs relating to tournament setup.
• Must be friendly and have a positive attitude.
• Willing and able to assist the event staff as required with additional duties, which may include registration, table clothes, floor maintenance, radio check-in/out, breaking down of event materials, packing pallets at the end of the event, etc…
• Must be able to respond to emails within 48 hours with regards to travel arrangements.

Here is what we need in your email:

Please send your sponsorship request to volunteers@cryptozoic.com, include “PAX Prime Sponsorship” in the subject line.
• Your name.
• Your CZE ID.
• Level of sponsorship you require; Partial (room), badge or volunteer. Please remember that you are more likely to be accepted if you are able to cover your lodging.
• Would you prefer to work administration, judge, or demo on the booth?
• The day you are able to depart to the event.
• Your email address.
• Your shirt size and if you have not received one yet.
• Your date of birth.
• Your complete mailing address and phone number.
• List of events you have worked for Cryptozoic.
• Emergency contact information and drug allergies.
• Any special requirements you have.
• Your CZEV# (if you are a Champion)
• Remember to include the name of event that you are requesting sponsorship for in the subject line.

What is expected?

• You will bring three days’ worth of appropriate attire.
• You will either conduct administrative duties, judge, or conduct demos on the booth (depending on staffing requirements and sponsorship requests) Friday, Saturday and Sunday. This will require long days with almost no breaks.
• You will prepare for the event thoroughly. If you are judging, you can start by reviewing all available rules, procedures and policies.

What is NOT paid for (partial list of common assumptions)?

• Food (Each person will receive either lunch or one small stipend each day).
• Taxi fares, bus fares, parking, etc.
• Additional room costs (room service, movies, laundry, etc).
• Ticket change fees (if you change your ticket, you pay all related fees).

Hotel Info:

• If you receive hotel sponsorship, you will be sharing a hotel room with at least one other person working the event.
• Spouses, friends, volunteers, players, significant others are not permitted.
• Your hotel will be paid for starting the day before the event and last until the day after the event. If you wish to stay longer or arrive earlier, you must arrange for this yourself.

Judge Testing:

• There will not be judge testing at this event.

Important Notes:

• This is not like a vacation, this is like work. It can be very rewarding and valuable, but it is hard work.
• If you are not chosen, don't take it personally. There are a limited number of sponsorships available. Again, if you would like to increase your chances of being accepted, covering your own flight and hotel will go a long way.

Please send your sponsorship request to volunteers@cryptozoic.com. The deadline to apply is Wednesday 13 July 2011 .

Judge/Volunteers who work the entire event will receive the following gifts:
3 displays of product from a recent set
2 Foil Undercity
2 Foil Squall Totem
1 Rare Loot card from a recent set
1 Uncommon Loot card from a recent set
3 Common Loot cards from a recent set
8 League Prize Sleeves
4 Archives Packs
1 AoICC Treasure Pack
Various Promos from other Cryptozoic products

jarome
06-30-2011, 02:33 PM
finally, something I have a chance of going to.

RRzero
06-30-2011, 09:05 PM
In looking this over I'm curious if travel is covered. It doesn't implicitly state it is or isn't, however it implies it through some of what I'd imagine is generic/copy & pasted text. Please let me know.

Stupnick
06-30-2011, 09:09 PM
as it is not stated, it would not be.

the only sponsorship is either hotel and badge, or badge, or none..

Damio
07-01-2011, 03:26 AM
• Level of sponsorship you require; Full, Partial (flight/travel or room), badge or volunteer. Please remember that you are more likely to be accepted if you are able to cover your travel and lodging.

• Must be able to respond to emails within 48 hours with regards to travel arrangements.

however it also says hotel and/or badge so i can see why he asked that question as the post says hotel and/or badge sponsorship available then goes on to mention travel sponsorship

Gwon
07-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Sorry for the confusion, it has been fixed to be more clear.

martinezjkind
07-06-2011, 07:12 AM
give them some slack , we all have cut and pasted and forgot to remove something

RRzero
07-06-2011, 07:23 AM
Slack fully given, the only reason I asked was because the only thing holding me back from being available to volunteer at these events is the travel funds. Aside from that, Mike knows I love'em.

Aaric
07-06-2011, 11:49 PM
This one's actually within reasonable driving distance for me (2 hrs), so hope I get to go!

jarome
07-07-2011, 12:22 AM
This one's actually within reasonable driving distance for me (2 hrs), so hope I get to go!

yeah it's about a 30-40 minute drive for me.

Blackbladeshade
07-09-2011, 04:50 PM
hmmm makes me wonder lol

Xemotep
07-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Hoping to see all my judge buddies here!!! I will be bringing chocolate, (for those of you at NACC who kept begging me to bring some of the chocolate I make)

Skinner
07-11-2011, 12:10 PM
It's coming down to the wire and I'm still not sure if I'm going to apply or not... D:

e: Okay, applied :)

Aaric
07-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Hoping to see all my judge buddies here!!! I will be bringing chocolate, (for those of you at NACC who kept begging me to bring some of the chocolate I make)
Are you coming as a player this time?

martinezjkind
08-04-2011, 07:20 PM
oh yes , where are we picking up badges this year. Last year i ended up getting PAX staff to walk me over to the Crypto area

xbennykinsx
08-05-2011, 09:48 AM
I will be there but not volunteering :( im taking a mini vacation with my girlfriend and going to enjoy the experience of PAX, but ill still wreck some faces on the card tables :) Cant wait to see you all there!

martinezjkind
08-05-2011, 03:59 PM
I learned a great lesson , if your at a tourney and your girl is also with you , make sure she has something to do beside look at you and wonder why she is sitting around for 2 + hours

Blackbladeshade
08-05-2011, 09:09 PM
I do it the smart way... I taught mine how to play so I double up on prize chances... and she doesn't great bored. Win

xbennykinsx
08-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Heh, jason my girlfriend plays cards. Shes into Pokemon big time and shes a huge gamer nerd so she will have plenty to do. hah.

Skinner
08-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Not volunteering, Ben!? Better still be ready to host that staff BBQ we talked about ;)

xbennykinsx
08-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Dude im down to BBQ at my place. I wont have the house by then it doesnt look like as im still looking but i still got my apartment! And no i wont be volunteering. My girlfriend has never been to PAX but as always wanted to go and Im going to treat the weekend as a Vacation :) But ill still be there and ready to play some WoW!!!

Skinner
08-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Right on dude, looking forward to it! I've got to get my work schedule figured out to ensure I can go (some stuff came up that might cause issue with my leaving town for 5 days), but barring anything holding me back I'll be there.

Blackbladeshade
08-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Wait... did I here BBQ.... sounds like an amazing Idea.. also might be a great time to play some cards too

GeekyRyan
08-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Sorry if this wrong place. I was looking at the CZE schedule for PAX and it says league format is 2-pack or constructed. Does that mean we either play with our own deck or we can buy 2 packs to play. Would it be a buy 2 packs each game? This is first time to play in the league, which I plan on doing often with some tournaments too. Also, with tournaments is early registration or is it just show up a couple minutes before? Thank you, I am looking forward to this.

Aaric
08-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Are staff/judge packets going out soon? It's getting close to show time.

Blackbladeshade
08-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Mike working on judge assignments now he just sent out an email 3 days ago about this. I'm sure it with be out this week

Aaric
08-14-2011, 07:29 PM
I didn't get that one, what was the jist of it? I haven't received anything since I sent my confirmation immediately after receiving the e-mail about getting hotel and badge sponsorship.

Skinner
08-15-2011, 10:11 AM
It went out to maybe a dozen of us, probably fewer, asking about filling some non-Judge rolls at the event such as demoing the new board games, administration stuff, etc.

Aaric
08-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Ok, thanks. I assume the judge packet hasn't yet gone out then. Can anyone else confirm?

Skinner
08-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I haven't seen anything else come out except that Roles e-mail.

martinezjkind
08-17-2011, 02:13 PM
I know I will be showing up about 2 hours before any events start just in case they need any help with setting up and to get any material I need . The biggest thing I want to know is where to pick up my staff badge since last year had to get led by Enforcers to try and find where Crypto was.

Aaric
08-17-2011, 03:43 PM
I just finished reading through the judge/staff packet. It says we can pick up our badges from Kyle in the TCG hall at 11am Friday, so I take it the TCG hall is seperate from the rest of PAX and doesn't require a badge to access.

martinezjkind
08-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Still have no judge packet =(

Blackbladeshade
08-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Don't feel bad I don't have mine yet either

Skinner
08-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Still have no judge packet =(

Don't feel bad I don't have mine yet either

Provided I've got both your names right, Jason, you're on the staff schedule for Booth Demo 10a-6p, and James, you're down as "PA OP" 11a-7p (which is to be interpreted as the PA: Gamers vs Evil game to my knowledge). I'm sure if you didn't get the e-mail yet Mike will get you a copy.

jarome
08-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Provided I've got both your names right, Jason, you're on the staff schedule for Booth Demo 10a-6p, and James, you're down as "PA OP" 11a-7p (which is to be interpreted as the PA: Gamers vs Evil game to my knowledge). I'm sure if you didn't get the e-mail yet Mike will get you a copy.

yeah I got the packet as well and I've already let them know on FB what they're doing as well.

Blackbladeshade
08-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Yeah I got it apperently yahoo mail thought it would be funny to hold my mail until after I posted something on here so I could look like an idiot. Go yahoo