PDA

View Full Version : Australia needs some Cryptozoic lovin'

Lhome
07-04-2011, 12:53 AM
There hasn't been a Darkmoon Faire event in Australia since 2009, if memory serves me right. And I don't believe we've ever had a Spectral Safari here. In fact there's less places to get involved in organized play and even less places to purchase WoW TCG in Australia since Cryptozoic took over. I'm not saying I miss UDE - I certainly don't. I paid them enough money over the years, and they've likely paid it out after being sued by everyone from Major league baseball, to Konami, to Kareem Abdul Jabar. I have no love for UDE.

I appreciate the work Cryptozoic has done and wholeheartedly believe its a better game today, in the US and Europe especially. It feels like Australia isn't getting enough attention, however.

The last place in my area, that had regular play closed down several months ago, and there isn't a single listing on the store locator for my state, which happens to be the most populated state in the country. Indeed, there is just one store left in town that sells WoW TCG products and that's ebgames. They're overpriced (AU$6.95 per booster, while the Australian dollar is worth more than the US, we pay twice as much for boosters here?)
They also don't have a lot of TCG products in stock most times, often selling out and waiting 1-2 weeks before they get more in. And then, what they do get in, is decided by head office, and they have no system in place for customers to order specific boosters or boxes.
This forces folks like me into a position where I feel obliged to buy online and have cards shipped from the US; which, by the way is still considerably cheaper, even after paying shipping fees (usually $95-110 total for new release boxes, incl shipping)

Meanwhile, another local retail store I probably shouldn't name, that sells MTG and Pokemon TCG products, tell me it will cost $140 to order a booster box from their wholesale supplier. Ridiculous. The guy, who has somehow found himself into a retail management position - and lord knows how - tells me, he gets people calling and walking in asking if they stock WoW TCG products on a regular basis. I ask him why he doesn't stock them then. He shrugs and asks me to wait while he serves a customer. A freckled teenage girl purchases an MTG theme deck and takes a flyer for Friday night Magic. =/

I've been working on getting my ex-girlfriend into the game, with so-far limited success. I recently had better success getting her into the MMO, which thankfully, was about as easy as getting her into bed. But getting her to play the TCG with me is a work in progress.
Meanwhile another friend of mine has recently decided to quit the TCG and eBay his collection because he's dissatisfied and claims "there's nowhere to play around here anymore". I don't know what annoys me more. The fact he's quitting. Or that he won't just give me his collection for free for being such a pal.

I live in a moderate-sized city with a population of just over 60,000 people, and many more in nearby rural areas. It is 40 minutes drive from here to one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country, and the eastern-most point of the continent. However, the nearest location for organized play is listed in Brisbane QLD, which is a long drive interstate, that is unreasonable to do weekly, but something I'd only consider for pre-release events or realm championships. I love the game enough to make that trip, but feel somewhat cheated because I have to, in order to play at all.

I know, I know. I've already turned this into a rant. Wasn't my initial intention, but I hope I have at least conveyed how passionate I am about this TCG, and the MMO. What I'd really like to know, is if Cryptozoic has any plans to resuscitate the game in Australia before it runs out of breath. And when we might see some major events, such as DMF or SS taking place down under. I'll have the barbecue and beers out for you guys and gals from Crypto when/if you get here.

TLDR; some aussie guy complaining dw, oh look a bunny!

Damio
07-04-2011, 02:13 AM
you would need to get a local sotre or club to email hobby@cryptozoic.com in order to get free battleground kits which contain prize support for local communities, i believe the spectral safari's and DMF's locations are based on attendance at these events

NekoNeko
07-05-2011, 03:14 AM
Back when UDE was doing WoW TCG, us folks here in Singapore sourced our own promos (trade online, purchased, asked others for help etc) or substituted prizes with Rares, epic etc, and ran our own event. As a result, we actually managed to get new players in while minimizing the loss of existing players.

Some of us ran events in Fast food outlets (BK, Mac etc), or even worked out a win-win situation with cafes (eg: we hold events during non-peak hours, players buy stuff from them & they let us use venue) to get a location to hold and run regular events.

I personally managed to run weekly events for over 2 years at MacDonalds with turnouts of between 8 - 25 players using rares/epics from my collection as prize pool. Each player paid $X to join and went home with a card from the prize pool. The prize pool's value is equal to the total entrance fee collected. This created a good event where its a win-win for both players and TO.

Since you're saying that you feel Australia has a lack of OP, I'm sure that there could be others that feel the same too - thus there should be a demand for events. So... aside from contact CZE etc, why not take the initiative and start something on your own?

TheSlowMage
07-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Problem is DMF Australia had what 50 people? thats less than DMF Houston which I was at and it was poor attendance we had 73 and 12 dropped round one because they were minis players just wanting the loot entry and the murloc stuffy.

Roshen
07-07-2011, 07:05 PM
... And I don't believe we've ever had a Spectral Safari here...

I know there were a few Safari's hosted last year in Australia. There are a few scheduled on the Safari page for 2011's event (and to my knowledge, more coming).

If you sort the Safari page by country (as shown here (http://www.wowtcg.com/tournaments/spectral-safari/spectral-safari-july-2011?sort=asc&order=Country#tournaments)), Australia is even listed first. The alphabet is weird!

darkkiva
07-08-2011, 03:02 AM
Also for the card shop I go.
We told them we can get at least minimum people to play battleground and they did ask for the battleground kits.
Unfortunately they still haven't receive anything or even message about the kits are mailed. Players waited for more than 2 weeks and still can't get started