PDA

View Full Version : Official Food Fight FAQ

JesusChristMD
08-24-2011, 08:01 PM
So here we have the Official Food Fight FAQ! Any and all questions should come here and the first post will be edited with answers!

Hey all, my name is Tyler Hare. I'm a judge and volunteer for cryptozoic. At GenCon I was asked to demo Food Fight for people and quickly found the game to be fantastic. I was so smitten by the concept that I decided that a simple volunteer uniform was not enough to properly get into the spirit of Food Fight! So I went out and assembled a short order cook's "uniform" to get into the true spirit of tossing food at each other.

I had an absolutely amazing time demo'ing it and have been playing it a ton since I brought my copy home with me ^_^

First are some questions that came up a lot while I was demoing.

Are troops allowed to fight for any meal?

Yes. Troops come in three types : Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. Troops are not limited to fighting only for their own meal. Breakfast troops may fight for lunch, lunch for dinner, and so forth.

How many people can fight for a meal?

Any number of people can fight for a meal! Since a meal can be worth anywhere from 1 to 6 points, sometimes it is worth fighting for the most points but sometimes it is worth going for a smaller number in the hopes of winning with less people fighting over it! There is strategy in going for smaller numbers in larger games.

What/When is plating?
Plating is the phase that takes place after the meals you will be fighting over have been flipped. It's when you are picking out the troops that will be battling for the meal of your choice! You take up to 5 troops and place them face-down in front of you after giving them a quick randomization/shuffle. Then you take the meal chip representing the meal you want to battle over and place it on top. Remember, if you have "INSTANTS" that say to play them during plating/after plating this is the time!

When am I allowed to play Instants?
Instants are very self-explanatory. From the nice big Batman sound effect bubble that marks them as "INSTANT" they also will usually say when to play them. Some will say to play while plating, others that give bonus yumminess to your troops are played when you choose to play them.

Do we shuffle the main deck after each day?

Nope! You go through the entire main deck before you reshuffle everything! It makes sure cards like "Cheeky Royale" which are very good don't see play every meal. Plus you don't want to be that guy who gets 5 "Big Bad Bacons" and has to fight the dog deck two days in a row!

Q: If my Candy Warhol is getting a +4 bonus from my opponent’s current troop, but then he Frankenspud’s away that troop, do I still get the +4 bonus?
A: Yes. That bonus locks in when you play your Candy Warhol and won’t change whether cards are taken away or added.

Q: When can I play Aunt Butterface?
A: Only after you have resolved the last troop in your army and still have no scoring chips (mints). Note that if you used a Seppuku Sushi and/or Flap-Jack the Ripper, you may not end up with 5 troops in your Army. The card only demands that you plated 5 troops, not ended with 5.

Q: Can you play Vlad the Clampire during Plating? It doesn’t say that you can.
A: Yes. There are some cards that may only be played during Plating, but that doesn’t mean others can’t be played during Plating. About the only reason not to is that you can't copy it with The Invader if you play it during Plating. The Invader can only copy an Instant played during a Meal.

Again, this thread is for ANY questions on Food Fight, so fire away!

moosegrinder
10-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Playing this for the first time and I'm a bit confused as to why you chose up to 5 troops. If someone chooses 5 and you choose 3 what happens to last 2 'servings' with no opponents? Are the points automatically won by the extra troops? We couldn't find anything about it in the rules, so sorry if it's a daft question. Cheers.

Matt_Hyra
10-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Yes, if they have no troops they can't win any mints. So if you have 5 troops and they have 3 troops, you're going to auto-win the last 2 servings.

strawdonkey
10-25-2011, 01:01 AM
Cheers Matt, that's how we played it in the end but there's no mention of it anywhere in the manual! Something to add for the second edition :)

tongsun
12-08-2011, 01:40 AM
Rules of the game that you can put a little more detail it?http://www.cx-7.info/g.gif

Matt_Hyra
12-08-2011, 09:24 AM
You can find a PDF of the rules at the link below:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/70035/food-fight-rulebook

sivartalappes
06-04-2012, 01:18 PM
What if in the 9 cards drawn, they don't have enough troops to make an army of 5? Are they forced to play with a smaller army or does something else happen? In group yesturday, we decided to have a player that only had 4 troops discard an instant to get a 5th troop from the top of the main deck, because we could find no ruling in the book.

g3p3nk
06-04-2012, 01:28 PM
What if in the 9 cards drawn, they don't have enough troops to make an army of 5? Are they forced to play with a smaller army or does something else happen? In group yesturday, we decided to have a player that only had 4 troops discard an instant to get a 5th troop from the top of the main deck, because we could find no ruling in the book.

they have to continue playing.
to win a normal battle, one only needs 3 troops (4 troops with buckaroo in play).

i have never played any battle with only 2 troops in hand..
but then, if you play with drafting in place, it is nearly impossible to have less than 3 armies..
unless, of course, you are purposely not taking any troops, but then it becomes your own fault.

Matt_Hyra
06-04-2012, 09:17 PM
If you plate less than 5 troops, you just have fewer chances to win after-meal mints. Those extra instants will help you win servings better than a 4th or 5th troop anyday.

ThiefKing
10-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Question about Instants.

Can you play more than one of the same Instant (say, Medic Mustard) on the same Troop during the same Serving? Or would you have to save it for another eligible Troop later on in the Meal or use it on a different troop in the same Serving?

Matt_Hyra
10-21-2012, 12:33 AM
You can use as many as you want, of any type or duplicate, at any time. As long as there is a legal target.

mxpowar
07-18-2015, 08:51 AM
My friends and I played Food Fight for the first time last night (really fun game!) and we came into some confusion with Frankenspud. I wanted to use that card to replace my current troop with a troop from a previous serving in the same meal. And that troop also happened to have had a bunch of instants played on him during that previous serving. So the question is, do instant effects last for just the serving or the entire meal? I say the entire meal but everyone else said just the serving.

Matt_Hyra
07-18-2015, 12:36 PM
Instants just affect that serving.

Glad you like the game!

mxpowar
07-19-2015, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, Matt! I have one more question that I forgot to mention that wasn't clear in the rules. When two players are tied for scoring chips and they need the dog to settle it, how does that work? And which player draws from the dog deck first? Thanks!

Matt_Hyra
07-19-2015, 10:06 PM
High Dog card wins. That's it.
One player needs to step up and draw first. Or have a 3rd player deal 1 to each tied player.