PDA

View Full Version : Level 2 Judge test.

CaptainWesker
09-06-2011, 06:13 AM
Hey there,

I have been judging every week now for over a year, including a Realm RQ, and other events. There are no higher level judges in my area, and I would like to advance.

I mentioned this before and was told that I could get sponsered by someone else on the forum once I had a few bigger events under my belt.

So, who wants to help me get to Level 2 :)

Ferrier13
09-06-2011, 08:06 AM
The thing about leveling up as a judge is most are not going to advocate for you o advance unless they have worked an event with you which is why it mostly is done after you work a Dmf or other larger event. I know me personally I would not put my name and reputation on the line for someone I've never even met. So best of luck.

CaptainWesker
09-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Well, if CZE actually run some larger events in the UK that I can get to that would be great, but there are none coming up. All the Uk Judges and TO's I know are Lvl 1.

As for putting their reputation on the line, whats that about? Theres nothing wrong with them if I don't pass the test, and TBH anyone who thought bad about someone for that doesn't seem worth knowing.

Ferrier13
09-06-2011, 08:14 AM
As a higher level judge it is our Responsibility to say when we think someone is ready to move up to level 2, 3 etc... So we have sponsor someone for level 2. I'd we sponsor someone and they fail the test it makes us look bad.

Loz
09-06-2011, 08:15 AM
There might not be DMFs in the UK this year but there are other 'large' (relative!) events you could offer to judge at.

Realms had judge sponsorship, maybe Nats does? Otherwise the ZG Open series of events are a good place to pick up player management skills you'll struggle to get at smaller events.

CaptainWesker
09-06-2011, 08:27 AM
@ Ferrier : How does that make you look bad? And to whom do you look bad to? I dont remember seeing any lists of failed Lvl 2 judges and their sponsers :P

Also, how does meeting someone once in the middle of a hectic and busy tournament give you a better idea of their ability. Admittedly, if they sit on the floor and start crying halfway through, I probbly would't sponser them :D

skey23
09-06-2011, 08:32 AM
CZE keeps track of everybody who has tested for L2 and higher, and who referred each one of them.

If a judge is found to be referring people over and over who keep failing the tests, then that reflects poorly upon that judge.

CZE wants to ensure that the Judge Program consists of solid, knowledgeable and hard working judges at the higher levels.
So, anybody who can refer a candidate is supposed to be making sure that candidate is going to pass the test. And one of the best ways to make that assurance is to physically work with the candidate at at least 1 event, so they can be observed properly.

CaptainWesker
09-06-2011, 08:40 AM
So, if your not already a level 2 or higher, and don't know one, give up on becoming one? As your only hope is to go and judge a large event, of which not many are held in the UK, and the Judge spots will most likely go to more experienced Judges?

I can understand why level 3 and higher would be that way, it just seems a shame that the level 2 one is also that way.

Sad Times :(

skey23
09-06-2011, 11:39 AM
I did not say that attending a larger event is the ONLY way to be recommended. I said it was one of the BEST ways to become recommended.

Stupnick
09-06-2011, 11:44 AM
My first question for you is why do you want to become a level 2 judge?

The main thing people are trying to point out is that going to work larger events, above battlegrounds and the like, are needed to be able to pass the level 2.

Higher Judge levels also require you to work larger events each year.. So if you are unable to get to them as a level 1, you prolly won't get to them as a level 2.

To be honest, I know people who support and suggest people that they have quized and talked to online, however.. as has been stated they are putting themselves on the line with you. I would suggest trying to get to events near you, and throwing your hat into everything you can. As has been mentioned there are Nationals, as well as the ZG Open.

I just got to take my level 2 Judge test after GenCon Indy, I have been working the last few large events here and paying my own way, just to get the experience and knowledge that is needed. I would suggest you do the same, it helps immensly.

wonggonewrong
09-06-2011, 09:17 PM
If you wanted to test for Level 2 in the UK, you need only ask....oh, wait you did!

I'm probably the country's only residing L2+ judge atm (I'm L3) and probably in the best position to assist you.

My advice is to approach Rob on judging Nats and to apply for Rotterdam as well. I will be attending both these events and will be able to prepare you for both the written L2 test and the 'duties' of being an L2. I can do some degree of distance mentoring, but there is a limit to this.

Hope this helps

Ray

CaptainWesker
09-07-2011, 01:15 AM
I am unable to leave the country :P

Seriously.

wonggonewrong
09-07-2011, 02:40 AM
Then lets start with Nats then (unless you classify Manchester as being in a different country...). I may also be attending the Beeston event on the 17th as a player. If youare also attending we could talk then.

CaptainWesker
09-07-2011, 05:08 AM
Then lets start with Nats then (unless you classify Manchester as being in a different country...).

Lol, they do speak another language, so they might as well be :P

Doubt I will be at Nats, as I am running our Qualifier, and don't think I can get to another one. It kinda sucks when you can't drive :(

Stupnick
09-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Lol, they do speak another language, so they might as well be :P

Doubt I will be at Nats, as I am running our Qualifier, and don't think I can get to another one. It kinda sucks when you can't drive :(

That's why he suggested applying to work Nats... not go and play..