PDA

View Full Version : No prizes at Release Event?

Stevie
09-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Hi there,

At the weekend my friends and I attended the Icecrown Release event at Kingdom of Adventure in Kirkcaldy, Scotland. After finishing the tournament, we were told that they had not been supplied with any prize support in the form of boosters, only the foil promo cards. As a result, we made the long drive home with no prizes but a handful of promo cards between us.

As you can imagine this news was disappointing, both since we did well in the event and would have received a decent amount of boosters as prizes and since the tournament was advertised as prizes being supplied.

If someone could please address this issue with regard to how it may be resolved.

Thanks, Stevie.

mozu
09-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Sorry Stevie, but CZE never said that they were suppling boosters for this, all product and prizes was on the shoulders of the LGS.

Damio
09-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Sorry Stevie, but CZE never said that they were suppling boosters for this, all product and prizes was on the shoulders of the LGS.

this is true, the LGS should have charged a price that would have enabled them to supply booster prizes if that is what they intended to do

anser0520
09-20-2010, 09:34 AM
but you should of recieved the foil aderyn lightborn the common 1 banger(alliance)from icecrown. i think that is her name , something along them lines.m as far as boosters your store should of definitly supplied the prizes i.e booster packs or whatever.

skey23
09-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Lol...her name is Bronwyn Lightborn...

And yes, that was the only prize given out for these events supplied by CZE.

tpuefol
09-20-2010, 12:07 PM
I've witnessed that LGS's efforts in running the event and know how they work.

The store had held off pricing the event until they found out if they were to receive price support or not. At some point they ran the event at the cost that they did because they believed they were to receive price support - this is reflected in what Stevie has said.

I wouldn't blame the game shop so much here but would also not blame CZE.
I would stress that there is probably a breakdown in communication somewhere - probably with the distributer - and the players have suffered as a result.

Please don't view this as a negative post. I'm just trying to be as defusing as possible whilst being informative.

Stevie
09-20-2010, 03:13 PM
The LGS had confirmed that "prize support" was being supplied, that was part of the reason for travelling to the tournament. It obviously wasn't made clear to the LGS at the time that "prize support" was in fact unplayable promo cards and not anything actually worth winning.

From speaking with the LGS owner after the event, they seemed surprised that they had not received any boosters as prize support too.

If this is the way CZE intend to run these events by throwing out a few promo cards and saying "get on with it", that isn't much incentive for stores and for players to participate in these tournaments.

CCGsCards
09-20-2010, 04:22 PM
If this is the way CZE intend to run these events by throwing out a few promo cards and saying "get on with it", that isn't much incentive for stores and for players to participate in these tournaments.

For something the stores didn't have to pay for, there's not much more that CZE could put out. Previous Sneak Peek/Release events have cost stores money to get the product from (at the time) UDE. This cost was for the product to run the event as well as prizes/promotional items. This time, stores were instructed to make sure they got product from their distributors in time to run the event.

Having said that, it was up to the stores to set a price for the event.

DarkSeverance
09-20-2010, 05:13 PM
The store that I run events received an email outlining what the prizes they supplied were. It also stated what format they suggested for it and it was up to the store to price accordingly.

The store knowing that cost was an issue for many local players did a different format but set the price to at least cover a few boosters for prizes. I picked up another 14 boosters myself and added that into the prize pool for the players. Normally I try to get other things to raffle out deck art boxes, archives, etc but since i was picking up a chunk of boosters I didn't this time around.

anser0520
09-22-2010, 09:25 AM
my store charged 30$ and we played two pack however only 3 rounds. i was fun ,but sort of not worth it . when everything was said and done i got two packs for going 1-2 . so during the game i got 6 packs for the 3 rounds and 2 when we where done so that is 8 packs which would cost 30$ . so my bonus was the foil lightborn cards. maybe crypto should of did something more special for its stores and maybe more people might show to these and make it better for everyone.

cWoW
09-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Our store wasn't that bad.
We did 6 pack sealed, prize support was from the stores WoW minatures collection..

We only paid for the 6 packs sealed pretty much , got the foil Bronwyn and the mini's..

He also has a battleground kit!! Looking forward to going back.
(Def will not be playing the miniatures game tho)

KoA_Dave
10-09-2010, 02:36 AM
Hey all.

Just spotted this thread. I'm the owner of Kingdom Of Adventure in Kirkcaldy Scotland and had the pleasure of having Stevie and a few of the other Glasgow WoW players over for the release event.

WoW has always been a 2nd tier TCG for us in the store behind Magic and I, rightly or wrongly, always compare the support given to me by Upper Deck previously and now CZE with that given by WotC.

I assumed, incorrectly, that there would be a booster box supply FOC to support the event which is what happens with Magic Pre-Release tournaments which was partly the reason for the delay of announcing the pricing of the event. Although it's fair to say that for Launch Parties for Magic WotC do not supply boosters. When it became clear that the prize support was the promo card alone I decided to simply charge the 6 booster cost to cover my expenses of the product.

I had considered charging more to add a booster (or 2) into a prize pool based on attendance level however up til the morning of the event we were only expecting 5 players and as such I saw no real need in doing so. If we had had a clearer view of attendance level ahead of the event we could have re-priced accordingly.

Stevie - Not having a go at you here mate!

I don't honestly see how this could be anything other than a communications issue. There seems to be an expectation that boosters are available as prizes at release events yet the prize support never states that there will be. The distributor has no involvement in this whatsoever, in my view, other than meeting my pre-order commitments to ordering in product for the event.

I think it would make sense for someone, preferably CZE and their partners, to communicate more effectively with their retailers and player base to ensure that prize support is clearly defined for events which would hopefully result in a better overall experience for the players.

I've never been contacted by CZE in relation to product releases or indeed events to support those releases and I run a busy shop supporting multiple product lines which doesn't really give me much time to scan through thread after thread on the CZE forum, Zapped Giants or indeed this one to understand what's going on. Appreciate that CZE are a young company and don't have the resources of WotC to give the same level of support / information but a simple retailer communication would be great.

Cheers,

Dave

Stupnick
10-09-2010, 07:28 AM
I do believe that they sent out a information sheet with the promo cards to all stores with details of the event.

As has been stated in this thread elsewhere, The promo cards and the information were at a no charge to stores, unlike what UDE and i assume WotC does. Due to that it was up to the stores to supply there own prizes towards there stores support and build there community.

I do know my store charged 25.00 for the event. Each player was given the 6 boosters for the event and 2 boosters were put into the prize pool per player. They also gave a few of the older UDE promos as well as an additional playmat that the store had as prizes for the event. They actually are wanting to build there community and therefor did more to support the event and gave extra prizes to make sure people won a little something for coming.

KoA_Dave
10-12-2010, 01:20 PM
The promo cards and the information were at a no charge to stores, unlike what UDE and i assume WotC does.

I didn't receive any information until the promos arrived which was a few days before the event.
To be clear, WotC do not charge for Promos and neither did UDE. Also to be clear that WotC provide at least 1 booster box at no charge for Pre-Release tournaments.

I do know my store charged 25.00 for the event. Each player was given the 6 boosters for the event and 2 boosters were put into the prize pool per player. They also gave a few of the older UDE promos as well as an additional playmat that the store had as prizes for the event. They actually are wanting to build there community and therefor did more to support the event and gave extra prizes to make sure people won a little something for coming.

I would have done something similar if I had had a clearer indication of a decent turnout but the community here has shrunk dramatically in recent months. Something we're trying to resolve.

YetiGaming
10-13-2010, 10:47 AM
So, knowing you had a game on the decline, and advertised an event, you did nothing to entice the players who showed up to keep coming?

I know you describe WOW as a Tier 2 game in your posts, and that will most likely be enough to turn off a lot of your players reading this post.

I am a store owner, and WOW is not my top selling card game, but I would never treat the players "tier 2" and go out of my way to encourage them to keep coming and enjoying the game.

Sorry, just a few observations from a "Rookie" store owner.

V