PDA

View Full Version : PING: Staff who volunteer at Big events

Gwon
10-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Just a reminder, it is unprofessional to discuss gifts received for events. Anything beyond what is stated on the initial judge call varies between each staff person. There are a number of factors taken into account when determining additional gifts.

If you have a specific concern, please send an email to volunteers@cryptozoic.com.

cervidal
10-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Wow. That statement reeks of favoritism and potential ill will.

Y'all would've been much, much better served by making this private. Better yet, don't post something like this electronically at all, round up your judges at the start and tell them this.

CaptainWesker
10-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Im guessing that its not really favouritism, but more recognition. Someone who goes above and beyond the normal call, or steps up to the plate do do something not normally associated with Judge duties etc.

Patrigan
10-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Im guessing that its not really favouritism, but more recognition. Someone who goes above and beyond the normal call, or steps up to the plate do do something not normally associated with Judge duties etc.

This.

You know, not everything is a conspiracy to destroy this game.

cervidal
10-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Didn't say it was a conspiracy. It's bad management. Would you expect a similar notice like this to be mass e-mailed at work after pay day?

No one reading these forums would've had any public reason to think there was differing giveaways if this thread hadn't been made. By posting this publicly, it creates suspicion, justified or not.

Skinner
10-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Would you expect a similar notice like this to be mass e-mailed at work after pay day?

For 1, this isn't people's job, there are no paychecks and no ones livelihood is being debated or called into question; it's volunteer compensation for a hobby. It's not even in the same universe as your analogy.

For 2, there isn't a list of people that could be privately contacted. Volunteer staff is different for every event, and new people are applying all the time as events roll out. The most simple way to ensure everyone receives the same message is just a public notice like this.

cervidal
10-02-2011, 04:05 PM
It's 100% in the same universe. Just because they're not paid cash doesn't mean it's not a job.

Let's put it another way - if you work as a volunteer for a non-profit and they decided to give random potentially valuable item to half of the staff but not the others, would you expect them to release a statement of this ilk? Not a chance.

And there's absolutely a list of the volunteers. The event organizers know who was there. To think otherwise is naive.

Skinner
10-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Allow me to clarify, there's a list for each event individually, sure, but not a defacto list they could just contact right now and then wipe their hands and say "Yep, everyone knows, we can forget about this now". Much easier to just put a notice out to ensure that anyone who volunteers, past, present, or future, gets the same message.

And we'll just have to agree to disagree on the other point I guess. If the company providing me with a hobby determines that John Smith earned something extra for the work he wasn't required to do and want to recognize him for that, more power to them. I'm not going to bitch about it because I didn't get as much free stuff as the next guy. But I suppose thinking that everyone has that mentality, is as you said, a bit naive. :P

Argynt
10-02-2011, 04:28 PM
If you compare it to a job, it is fairly standard to forbid eomployees from discussing their wages and bonuses, because not everyone (even in the same position for the same amount of time) does the same things or has the same value to the company. Now, that said, this ISN'T a job, and conditions of why a person might be given "gifts" that others didn't get vary MUCH more. For example, if some one volunteered, but was accepted with a fully paid flight, meals, and room, and some one else paid for 100% of their own, they are likely to get a bit more for having forked out their own cash to volunteer. Or another person may be more experianced and be put in charge of something, while those working along side of that person are newer and taking direction from them. That experianced person might get a bit more. Or any of dozens of other reasons.

You're not supposed to talk about it, because that newer guy (who a few events down the road might be GREAT) IS new and gets a bit less. When they hear that you get more, they may be discouraged, and not volunteer anymore. Or it might sound like bragging to others, and make them less likely to want to work with you. Or, again, any of deozens of other reasons.

Most/all Volunteers are likely to come to this site regularly, so it's the most sure way to make sure everyone gets the message. I, for one, would not be shocked if I worked at a company and a similar memo was distributed.

Littlejon24
10-03-2011, 10:52 AM
i see no reason to attack CZE for something like this. its just a simple notice so that Volunteers do not get resentful toward others because they got a little more swag. in truth, some volunteers receive just a little more because it was noticed they went out of their way to make sure they did their best. other times it is completely by chance that someone got something extra.

when i volunteer, all i want to do is have an enjoyable experience. the comp is just icing on the cake.

Ogg
10-03-2011, 12:57 PM
For example, if some one volunteered, but was accepted with a fully paid flight, meals, and room, and some one else paid for 100% of their own, they are likely to get a bit more for having forked out their own cash to volunteer. Or another person may be more experianced and be put in charge of something, while those working along side of that person are newer and taking direction from them. That experianced person might get a bit more.

Argynt, I believe you hit it right on the nose. Personally, I would expect someone who came from several or more states away, footed their own bill for the event, to get something a little extra for their expense than the local volunteers or the ones that recieved a full ride on Cryptozoic's behalf. In the past, I noticed that most of the volunteers after the events talk amongst themselves about the swag, sharing what foils they recieved with much trading/haggling taking place....it really did not seem to be a problem.

martinezjkind
10-03-2011, 01:24 PM
I would think it would be more based on performance than anything else. Getting experience is its own reward, but stepping up to when needed to and going beyond what is needed should matter the most .I can see the reason why to be quite about it since no group can see everything extra a person does . We as judge and champions always get recognized for the good jobs we do and they do have the champion of the month program and also promotions among the ranks of judge-hood. So we already know that if you try hard and go above and beyond , it can get noticed. They might not be able to see how hard you might try , but if your only trying hard FOR recognition , your in the wrong field .

__X__
10-03-2011, 03:42 PM
I imagine something like this:

CZEV1: Did you see the extra X in our comp bags?
CZEV2: I didn't get that. I only got Y...
CZEV1: ...
CZEV2: ...
CZEV1: ...awkward

To play devil's advocate: Maybe the people discussing their gifts didn't know the gifts varied? At work, we all know that bonuses are based on performance and, as such, do not discuss them. I would not have expected the same precept to carry over in a volunteer setting.

Gwon
10-04-2011, 10:12 AM
There are a number of factors taken into account when determining additional gifts.

Re-quoted to make sure everyone saw it.

TwilightSeraph
10-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Anyone actually know the definition of Gift in this thread?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gift

BlueRider
10-04-2011, 12:58 PM
a special ability or capacity; natural endowment; talent
Cryptozoic is giving out super powers!

Eerion
10-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Ofc they do.

Johnson
10-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Yep, and they just told us not to talk about it... Yet we still divulged the information. They are going to have troubles now, and it'll be your fault, BlueRider.