PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice for a new Judge.

GeekyRyan
10-03-2011, 01:14 PM
I have ran two events now and looking for some advice from veteran judges and TO.

First event went well, a couple hiccups but over all it was good. I have learned some new things I need to apply next time since then and have already handled a problem with one player very professionally and respectfully. With this location I have a continuing issue that I am looking for insight on. The store didn't carry any WoW product before hand and is still not quite there. A small store with limited funds, so understandable. They were happy with the first event and have decided to continue and try to get some product for their shelves. My issue is communication. I let them know what I need from them and I get an ok. Then it never happens, example it took almost 2 weeks for them to email asking for more CZE id cards. I try to get them to advertise that we are now holding events, but the make no effort. Nothing in store even suggest that there is an event coming up. They think as long as it it is listed on Meetup.com it is good enough. I am trying to help them grow a new community in their store, but it feels like I am getting no help back. How do people tend to handle this situation?

On to my second event. It was at a store that had events previously and had a small player base already. I more or less was stepping in because their previous judge was no longer available. This one isn't so much an issue but question on how to conduct myself as a judge. With my first event I actually played so this did not come up, but the second one had 4 players. That left me out from playing so to keep the draft with even amount of players. In this case, what do most judges do with their time during the event when not actually playing in it. These players were great, and new exactly what they were doing. Honestly, I learned a bit from watching them. The result was they didn't really need me more than recording the results. I was constantly unsure what I should be doing. I didn't want to walk off but at the same time felt I wasn't do something right by sitting there and just watching from the sidelines.

I appreciate any insight people can give me. I want to take this very seriously and want to really help grow my local community. Thank you.

martinezjkind
10-03-2011, 01:46 PM
My main store I judge has a steady 10-12 people every week and 2 totally new players signing up for CZE IDs each week. Lot of rotation happens since some are in college and some have family's and what not so the number has fluxed as low as 4 players given on a holiday weekend. I take the extra time at a location to talk about upcoming events with the shopkeep, inform him of products/new releases coming up and when to order, and also players interest in sealed/constructed. I was able to get the shopkeep involved in the game by doing this and also helps that we have players of all skill levels at my place. I only play at an event if there are an odd number of people since I do not want to have someone miss a round each time, but only at the Battleground level since I believe that TOs/champions should never play in any higher level event in there area.

As the other issue , I have advertised with posters on there outside window and on there facebook . I made sure each store employee knows when the events are and what we do in case someone buys boosters when I am not present or wondering about events .I help with deck building both before and after events. Last Battlegrounds I made a deck with only 12 booster packs ,since a lot of new players were worried that having more cards is all that matters, the deck went 2-2. As a TO we generally are the driving force behind an event, a store is just a location that we try to have a good relationship with. My local place understands if they do not have the product i will suggest other stores in the area while they are out of stock.Last draft rally I made sure I personally had back up plans if they did not get product in time and they informed me they would reimbursed me . It might take you a bit of leg work to get a relationship that close with your local store . I try to run and promote a good event first , stores should realize that by allowing a champion to do this it will bring in business as a side effect.

GeekyRyan
10-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Thank you for the response. In regards to building a better relationship, I am/was already friends with 2 of the owners before they bought into the store. I have trying my best to work with them, keep them posted, running ideas by them, making suggestions. I suggested posters or signs so their clients would know they are running events, and the importance and benefit of carrying product outside of events. I have even offered to handle the communication with Cryptozoic so they could focus on the store. That offer was turned down. So I am lost at this point.

martinezjkind
10-03-2011, 02:54 PM
If the place allows free play I would suggest becoming a TO and setting up events on your own . If they dont seem to be getting the job done and have refused help constantly, it might be time to take it off there plate but still allow them the benifit of being the host. Since if you can bring in more business by having bigger events and more of them , they can't really get mad at you lessening there load of work and increasing there profit.

GeekyRyan
10-03-2011, 04:17 PM
I already am the TO, my schedule is pretty limited and they don't have a lot of space so it is always a plan and schedule with them deal.
Going back to the what to do with my time thing also. You suggested discussing with the employee about up coming events and product, correct?
I have communicated with the store's inventory manager extensively through email and already have next event scheduled. During the event the only employee present was really more there to operate the register and knew very little about the happenings. Part of the reason I think no discussion about future events took place. I want to make sure I am presenting myself properly. Make sure the player's know I am there for them and the event, but not just staring from the side either.

Blackbladeshade
10-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Getting stores, especially smaller ones to get on the ball sometimes can be a challenge. Your best bet, is to bring them all the information they need, and pretty much do it for them, so they don't have to spend a lot of time working on what your trying to do. Like martinezjkind said, sometimes you just have to do all the leg work, like putting up your own posters and whatnot to show that something is going on.

As for what to do with your time. Personally when I am at events where situations like yours arise. I like to demo for some of the other people around. Especially the Magic players. If you bring some lazy peon decks, and show them how to play you might get a couple of converts over and increase your player base that way. The best way to get more recognition from the shop is to get a better player base. Long story short, it often becomes a circle and you just need to connect one end to the other.

Skyhaven_Games
10-04-2011, 02:58 PM
I appreciate any insight people can give me. I want to take this very seriously and want to really help grow my local community. Thank you.

You should volunteer and become a Champion of the Black Flame, sir. You have the right attitude already. ;)

GeekyRyan
10-04-2011, 04:05 PM
You should volunteer and become a Champion of the Black Flame, sir. You have the right attitude already. ;)
That is my game plan. :) I know I am not ready yet though, and I think that is part of taking things serious is knowing your limits and capabilities. Thank you for the vote of confidence. I must say that is one thing I have found pleasant with my recent lurking, a lot of support and not so much trolling.