PDA

View Full Version : Too many judges for a local event?

GeekyRyan
11-17-2011, 06:07 PM
I am currently the TO and head judge for my local shop. Aside from me there are two other level 1 judges. I like to only list one of them along side me for each event in the TO software, because it seems excessive to have 3 judges for a event of 8-12 players (counting us too).

Is there too many judges or am I just putting to much though in it? I feel like we would be milking Honor points if I listed everyone that happened to be judge regardless if we need them to judge or not.
Thank you

xbennykinsx
11-17-2011, 06:10 PM
I believe the rule is for every 24 players there needs to be 1 judge.

Toqtamish
11-17-2011, 06:11 PM
If they all judge at any event no matter the size give them credit, and the honor points, where due. We have 4 judges at our venue. Not all of us show up every week but it helps having others just in case.

gentlegiant303
11-17-2011, 06:36 PM
If they all judge at any event no matter the size give them credit, and the honor points, where due. We have 4 judges at our venue. Not all of us show up every week but it helps having others just in case.

I would agree with this. As long as they actually do judging like things and are not just trying to get honor. Give them credit for it.

Nydyne
11-18-2011, 12:26 AM
We have 3 judges including myself that run BG's. Having many active judges for small local events is very helpful and useful. It gives me a chance to step back and watch how the other two judges handle things, as well as have extra help when one or two judges are occupied in a match. I don't see much of an issue with having too many judges unless they aren't actually performing judge related tasks.

gentlegiant303
11-18-2011, 01:34 AM
Thank you Nydyne you said what I was trying to say much better then I did.

GeekyRyan
11-18-2011, 05:36 AM
I would agree with this. As long as they actually do judging like things and are not just trying to get honor. Give them credit for it.

That is basically what we had going. I only run events two weeks, while another judge does the other two weeks. So we both are getting our credit for running our own events. I like to but the 3rd judge down in my events and actually have him has the person to go to with rulings if I am unavailable. Rightfully so, I see him deserving honor then. The store owner was telling me he didn't care if I listed all 3 of us for honor, but as TO I cared.

gentlegiant303
11-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Geekyryan Sounds like you were doing the correct thing. In terms of mentoring another judge, never feel bad about doing it and also still putting yourself as the judge. It is important for the program to be healthy and grow.

RRzero
11-19-2011, 10:43 AM
also, if all 3 of you are playing in a Battlegrounds event (pretty much the only events judges can play and judge at the same time), there is not "extra" honor for being a judge. you get honor like a player if you play and only get volunteer honor if you did not play only judged.

gentlegiant303
11-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Yes. I was not trying to say you all were cheating the honor system. I was just making sure that if people are listed as judges, they are actually doing judging work.

GeekyRyan
11-21-2011, 05:31 PM
also, if all 3 of you are playing in a Battlegrounds event (pretty much the only events judges can play and judge at the same time), there is not "extra" honor for being a judge. you get honor like a player if you play and only get volunteer honor if you did not play only judged.

I didn't know that. So really in a Battleground event there is really no point in listing extra judges regardless and at same time no real harm. I still will only put acting judges.