PDA

View Full Version : Growing as a judge.

GeekyRyan
01-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas on how to study the rules in hopes of growing as a judge, possibly in levels. I have read the comprehensive rules at least twice and have them on my Kindle. I have a deep enough understanding for our local group, but would be in trouble with serious players if I worked a DMF or other large event.
I learn so much better through examples and actual situations then just reading the blunt rules.
I am always looking for ways to grow.
Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thank you

skey23
01-13-2012, 03:32 PM
The best way to grow is to get out there and work the larger events.
Put in for sponsorship to the DMFs!

I'll bet you'd do better than you think...;)

GeekyRyan
01-13-2012, 03:37 PM
I plan to put in for them. Unfortunately, I can't fly myself due to funds, and need to hope for full sponsorship. It won't discourage me by any means.

There are times even at my local shop I get asked a question that goes deeper into rules and I would like to be able to answer with confidence.

Patrigan
01-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Don't thnk that "pro-players" are that far above you. Most of them are also local players to some environment. Not to mention the rules mistakes I've seen some of the best players make. I don't remember who, but a DMF Top-8 level players once told me: "Why would I study the rulebook, isn't that why we have judges like you?"

And indeed, that's why there are judges. Especially note the plural form of the word. At a DMF level event, you're never alone. If you have doubts, there is a whole team to consult. And in the event that the players don't agree with you there's always the dude in red, who most often has an awesome understanding of the rules (but even they are not perfect).

Allow me to be even more elaborate on this interesting subject. A wise (and awesome) man once told me this: "I don't want a judge on my team who never made a mistake. Zat's the kind of judge zat probably never does anything." With other words, if you don't dare to make mistakes, you will never grow.

And like Simon said: You will probably be better than you yourself think.

Viteh
01-13-2012, 04:04 PM
I did my first big event recently, and I was pretty nervous about it. But it all went better than expected. I learnt a lot just by looking and talking to more experienced judges, everyone is really nice. They really want to help you become a better judge.

One thing to keep in mind is that you should also try reading about the penalties and tournament policy. Specially if you want to work in big events (and take higher level tests).