PDA

View Full Version : 2 Player variants?

Jypsy
02-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Hey everyone

My wife and I are big fans of the comic, and have been playing the card game now with friends, but are wondering is there any house-rules anyone has come up with for 2 player games?

This would also be great for when I demo the game at work, (I work at a Local Game Store) in case there is only one person that is interested in learning at the moment.

Here is what I thought of:
Allow the play of 4 cards instead of 3 on a play action (since it might be more difficult to overcome the larger challenges)
Draw 2 cards every turn (keeps the game moving faster)

Hope to hear your great ideas soon!

Skinner
02-18-2012, 10:15 AM
I tried it with 2 people the other day and quickly learned that the Philosophosphorus (or whatever it's called, I've only played once and this is from memory ;)) Key should be removed. Being able to look at your only opponent's plays makes it pretty easy to play around things!

Jypsy
02-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Good call,

So far we have found these keys to be troublesome for 2 player games:
Philosophoscope Key (too one sided) Solution: Remove before playing, or house-rule it to be "one-shot"
Anywhere Key (can result in runaway leaders): I think this card should be house ruled to One shot: "Reveal this card when you win a challenge to draw two strength cards

The biggest culprits are the reusable keys that allow you to trounce your only foe, when normally you would have 2 or more players throwing curve balls at you. Making all reusable keys one-shot or having a limit on the number of active keys you can have may alleviate runaway leader syndrome.