PDA

View Full Version : Card Clarifications

Akkim
02-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Hey Gang :: Been having a blast playing the game, but there's a few cards I've found to be potentially ambiguous, so I figured I'd come here to get some clarity!

1) Foes on your Left and Right ::
- If you are down to just one foe left, do they get targeted twice?

2a) Beard 'O Blasty's (Source) - This card copies the text of the Delivery of your spell.
2b) Disco-Mirrored (Quality) - This card copies the text of a Source or Delivery of a spell.
- In copying the Text only part of it means you do not copy the glyph, but if you have other glyphs that match Beard 'O Blasty's (Arcande) or Disco-Mirrored (Illusion) you get additional power dice for the cards accordingly, correct?

3) Ben Voodoo's (Source) - Each for rolls a die and takes that much damage. Destroy one of your Treasures if you have any.
- This means the CASTER (You) destroy one of your own treasures, not the foes, correct?

4) Dicey (Quality) - You roll two dice. Each of your foes rolls one die. Foes who match one or more of your dice rolls each suffer damage equal to that roll.
- If you roll doubles (4 & 4) and a foe rolls a 4 - he suffers 8 damage, correct?

5) Pact With the Devil (Delivery) "10+ 2 Damage, and if he has a delivery in his spell, steal it and resolve it as part of your spell"
- Once another wizard fully resolves his spell it is immediately discarded, they are not kept until the end of the round, so it's possible if your target has already cast his spell this round his Delivery (if he had one) would already have been discarded and cannot be stolen, correct?

6) Vorpal-Trap (Delivery) "10+ 3 Damage, and the target must choose and destroy one of his Treasures or suffer 3 more damage"
- If the player does not have any treasures to destroy, they still suffer 3 more damage, correct?

7) Exorcism (Delivery) "5-9 2 damage, or 4 if he has a Last Wizard standing token / 10+ As above, but double the damage"
- If you roll 10+, your foe suffers 4 damage, or 8 if he has a Last Wizard standing token, correct?

8) Power Vortex (Delivery) "1-4 You discard a card / 5-9 2 damage, and you discard two cards / 10+ As above, and you also gain a treasure.
- If you roll 5-9, your foes take 2 damage, but the CASTER (You) discards two cards, correct?
- If you roll 10+, your foes take 2 damage, but the CASTER (You) discards two cards and gain one treasure, correct?

I know some of these seem logical and self-explanatory, but there's a hint of ambiguity in them and I want to make sure we're playing correctly =)

Thanks!
--Micah

Matt_Hyra
02-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Hey Gang :: Been having a blast playing the game, but there's a few cards I've found to be potentially ambiguous, so I figured I'd come here to get some clarity!

1) Foes on your Left and Right ::
- If you are down to just one foe left, do they get targeted twice?

No, just once.

2a) Beard 'O Blasty's (Source) - This card copies the text of the Delivery of your spell.
2b) Disco-Mirrored (Quality) - This card copies the text of a Source or Delivery of a spell.
- In copying the Text only part of it means you do not copy the glyph, but if you have other glyphs that match Beard 'O Blasty's (Arcande) or Disco-Mirrored (Illusion) you get additional power dice for the cards accordingly, correct?

Correct

3) Ben Voodoo's (Source) - Each for rolls a die and takes that much damage. Destroy one of your Treasures if you have any.
- This means the CASTER (You) destroy one of your own treasures, not the foes, correct?

Yes. The words "you" and "your" in a spell refer to the caster.

4) Dicey (Quality) - You roll two dice. Each of your foes rolls one die. Foes who match one or more of your dice rolls each suffer damage equal to that roll.
- If you roll doubles (4 & 4) and a foe rolls a 4 - he suffers 8 damage, correct?

Correct!

5) Pact With the Devil (Delivery) "10+ 2 Damage, and if he has a delivery in his spell, steal it and resolve it as part of your spell"
- Once another wizard fully resolves his spell it is immediately discarded, they are not kept until the end of the round, so it's possible if your target has already cast his spell this round his Delivery (if he had one) would already have been discarded and cannot be stolen, correct?

Correct

6) Vorpal-Trap (Delivery) "10+ 3 Damage, and the target must choose and destroy one of his Treasures or suffer 3 more damage"
- If the player does not have any treasures to destroy, they still suffer 3 more damage, correct?

Correct

7) Exorcism (Delivery) "5-9 2 damage, or 4 if he has a Last Wizard standing token / 10+ As above, but double the damage"
- If you roll 10+, your foe suffers 4 damage, or 8 if he has a Last Wizard standing token, correct?

Correct

8) Power Vortex (Delivery) "1-4 You discard a card / 5-9 2 damage, and you discard two cards / 10+ As above, and you also gain a treasure.
- If you roll 5-9, your foes take 2 damage, but the CASTER (You) discards two cards, correct?
- If you roll 10+, your foes take 2 damage, but the CASTER (You) discards two cards and gain one treasure, correct?

Correct on all.

I know some of these seem logical and self-explanatory, but there's a hint of ambiguity in them and I want to make sure we're playing correctly =)

Thanks!
--Micah

Your instincts were pretty darn correct. Or, as they say on Mt. Skullzfyre... pretty damn correct.

Zeenigami
02-22-2012, 08:46 PM
1. They'd get targeted once.

2-player targeting: Actually, you only get targeted once per spell effect. Some cards, like Thundering, can produce multiple effects and therefore can hit the same player more than once.

2. You are correct sir.

3. Yes, the caster destroys a treasure

4. Yes sirs

5. Yes, once a spell is casted, the cards would be discarded.

6. Yup, no treasures means that you must take the 3 damage.

7. You are correct.

8. Yes, you discard the cards and gain the treasure.
<edit>
Noo Matt! I even refreshed before posting to make sure you didn't post yet. Curses!

Matt_Hyra
02-22-2012, 09:07 PM
<edit>
Noo Matt! I even refreshed before posting to make sure you didn't post yet. Curses!

I am that epic.

Longs
02-25-2012, 10:43 AM
The "you" and "your" in some cards also make me doubt at the beginning.
Good to read a clarification!

Akkim
02-28-2012, 12:09 PM
It's nice seeing that I'm not the only one that had these questions, Longs - funny that you started a thread asking about one of my head-scratchers =)

--Micah

Akkim
03-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Additional Card/Rule Clarifications ::

1) It's known that you can intentionally play an illegal spell to be able to discard the extra card(s) - however, for determining initiative, does it still count as a spell with the number of cards you have placed?
- We have been ruling this as a yes (a risk to trying to discard)

2a) Festering (Quality) :: Your strongest foe who has not acted this round must discard the Quality of his spell, if any.
2b) Pact With The Devil (Delivery) :: 10+ 2 damage, and if he has a Delivery in his spell, steal it and resolve it as part of your spell
- If the target's spell has a WILD MAGIC card in the appropriate position, we have NOT been discarding/stealing it as it is a Wild Magic card and not actually a Quality or Delivery, correct?

3) Impatient (Quality) :: At the start of the initiative, reveal this card. Your spell resolves first this round. Deal 1 damage to each foe
- Even if other players have cast a spell with fewer parts, you still go first, correct?
- The 1 damage is not dealt until the Quality of your spell is resolved, correct?

Thanks again!
--Micah

Jypsy
03-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Additional Card/Rule Clarifications ::

1) It's known that you can intentionally play an illegal spell to be able to discard the extra card(s) - however, for determining initiative, does it still count as a spell with the number of cards you have placed?
- We have been ruling this as a yes (a risk to trying to discard)

2a) Festering (Quality) :: Your strongest foe who has not acted this round must discard the Quality of his spell, if any.
2b) Pact With The Devil (Delivery) :: 10+ 2 damage, and if he has a Delivery in his spell, steal it and resolve it as part of your spell
- If the target's spell has a WILD MAGIC card in the appropriate position, we have NOT been discarding/stealing it as it is a Wild Magic card and not actually a Quality or Delivery, correct?

3) Impatient (Quality) :: At the start of the initiative, reveal this card. Your spell resolves first this round. Deal 1 damage to each foe
- Even if other players have cast a spell with fewer parts, you still go first, correct?
- The 1 damage is not dealt until the Quality of your spell is resolved, correct?

Thanks again!
--Micah

Here is how we have interpreted the rules locally:

1. Yes it is a spell with three components until they are revealed

2. Since the component is not known until the player acts, you would get whatever card would happen to be in the slot, be it a wild magic, or invalid spell component as you suggested in question 1.

3. Correct, this spell resolves first before anyone else, and we have played it where the damage is done immediately. (The damage portion I am not 100% confident on however)

Matt_Hyra
03-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Jypsy is correct. Further clarifications:
On #1: If you played 2, but only 1 is legal, you announce a 2-card spell. That is the "cost" of hand improvement.
On #3: The damage from Impatient waits until the Quality portion resolves.

Stupnick
03-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Jypsy is correct. Further clarifications:
On #1: If you played 2, but only 1 is legal, you announce a 2-card spell. That is the "cost" of hand improvement.
On #3: The damage from Impatient waits until the Quality portion resolves.

So just to clarify on number 1.

If you play 5 cards, you announce a 5 card spell? even tho only 3 of those cards are legal?

LordMagnus
03-03-2012, 11:49 AM
I believe it was said in another thread you can only ever play a maximum of 3 cards in your spell.

Matt_Hyra
03-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Stupnick: Keep in mind that the actual limit is 3 cards. The rules of the game say you may play a 1, 2, or 3 component spell. The example of an illegal 4 card spell was a bad idea. It should have called that out as an impossible spell. So if you play 3, but only 1 will be legal, you call it a 3-card spell. As that is what you are showing.

Stupnick
03-03-2012, 09:47 PM
So the most number of cards you can ever play is 3..

however in that 3 cards you can play either

1 S, Q, D

or

1 S, 2 Q (discard a Q when attempting to resolve the spell) and end with a 2 card spell

or

3 S (discard 2 S when attempting to resolve) and end with a 1 cards spell

is this correct?

Matt_Hyra
03-03-2012, 09:57 PM
So the most number of cards you can ever play is 3..

however in that 3 cards you can play either

1 S, Q, D

or

1 S, 2 Q (discard a Q when attempting to resolve the spell) and end with a 2 card spell

or

3 S (discard 2 S when attempting to resolve) and end with a 1 cards spell

is this correct?

That is correct.

Akkim
03-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Yet Another ::

Lady Luck's Panties (Treasure) :: Whenever you roll only one die, add 2 to your roll.

Combination with ::
- Dr. Rooty Bark's (Each foe rolls a die, each foe who rolls a 6 heals 3 HP) - do you need to roll a 4? Does a 4-6 heal you for 3HP? We've simply left it "throw a 6, heal 3 HP"
- Sir Lootzor's (Each foe rolls a die, each foe who rolls a 6 gains a treasure) - same as Rooty Bark's
- Cat-A-Strophic (Each other player takes damage equal to his roll) - you take the Roll +2 damage (whether you have Lady Luck's Panties OR if you are the caster)
- Dicey (Each foe rolls one die, foes who match one or more suffer damage equal to that roll). Caster throws 4 and 5. You throw 3, panties make it 5. You take 5, correct?
- Old Scratch's (Roll a die. If you roll 1-3, you suffer that much damage. If you roll 4-6 you heal that many HP. So you roll a 5 (which becomes 7) - we have been having them re-roll until they roll a 1-4 and take the results of 3-6 instead of healing 7 or 8.

Thoughts? =)

TONS of gameplay so far..

--Micah

Matt_Hyra
03-14-2012, 04:54 PM
It is to be taken literally... a double-edged sword if you will.
Rooty & Lootzor: You need to roll a 4.
Cat-A: Add 2 to you roll if you aren't the caster. Add 4 to your roll if you are the caster (hard to not be high roller here).
Dicey: Yes, but more than likely, you will outroll them.
Old Scratch: If you roll too high, no effect. Pretty unlikely that you'll take damage with the +2, but you might miss the healing if you roll too high.

Glad you're having fun and finding all of the really wacky interactions you just don't see on your first few plays. :cool:

Darkitechtor
04-22-2012, 09:27 AM
1)If I play Professor Presto with 2 Wild Magic cards may I get 2 treasures?
2)Pact with the Devil makes me give a Delivery from my spell to my opponent. But if I have Wild Magic placing a Delivery should I do it?

Matt_Hyra
04-22-2012, 08:44 PM
1. No, just one.
2. Pact with the Devil makes the target of the spell give you, the caster, his Delivery. You don't give the target yours. Yes, if there is a Wild Card in the Delivery slot, that card will go to the caster. And then you can choose to convert it to any of the 3 spell types. Once it leaves a spell, it becomes truly Wild again.

Darkitechtor
04-23-2012, 06:17 AM
Once it leaves a spell, it becomes truly Wild again.
Does it mean that WM card has to return to my spell after my opponent`s action? I think that it should be discarded

Matt_Hyra
04-23-2012, 10:03 AM
A WM is always discarded after it is converted. It does not go back to the original player.

Teemu
07-10-2012, 11:28 AM
You were able to answer a few of my questions before I even got to ask them in this thread, but I have a few more:

If two casters have an Impatient quality, who goes first? It is resolved normally (highest initiative between the two) or should it go straight to a dice roll?

I have Crown of the Meek (Dark cards cast by foe deal 1 damage to that foe before the card's effects resolve) and foe has Demon Shoes (counts as Dark card in each of his spells). Would that opponent always take 1 damage when he casts a spell, even if there are no other dark glyphs?

Matt_Hyra
07-10-2012, 01:21 PM
If 2 are Impatient, resolve it normally through Initiative numbers.

No. Demon Shoes is not a Spell, just an extra Glyph.

Archgoose
04-14-2015, 10:41 AM
Further question regarding Beard'O Blasty's, because this happened last night in a game.

A spell was played with Beard'O (Arcane), an Elemental Quality, and an Elemental Delivery. One player said that because the Source copies text and not glyph, that the Source spell would be rolling using Arcane rather than Elemental. Another player made the case that you still use the Delivery's glyph for Power Rolls because that's the glyph the Delivery was intended to use, and Beard'O makes no mention of changing the nature of the Delivery and clarifications specifically state Beard'O's glyph does not change so why would the Delivery's?

Which is correct? In the end the group decided the caster could roll two Elemental for Beard'O's spell rather than one Arcane (generally in any circumstance with ambiguous text we opt for the argument that permits the most damage, seems more in line with the spirit of the game).

Matt_Hyra
04-14-2015, 11:50 AM
Further question regarding Beard'O Blasty's, because this happened last night in a game.

A spell was played with Beard'O (Arcane), an Elemental Quality, and an Elemental Delivery. One player said that because the Source copies text and not glyph, that the Source spell would be rolling using Arcane rather than Elemental. Another player made the case that you still use the Delivery's glyph for Power Rolls because that's the glyph the Delivery was intended to use, and Beard'O makes no mention of changing the nature of the Delivery and clarifications specifically state Beard'O's glyph does not change so why would the Delivery's?

Which is correct? In the end the group decided the caster could roll two Elemental for Beard'O's spell rather than one Arcane (generally in any circumstance with ambiguous text we opt for the argument that permits the most damage, seems more in line with the spirit of the game).

Beard 'O Blasty would use his own Arcane glyph. He does not copy the glyph of the Delivery, just the text. The glyph is not part of the text. So he counts up the number of Arcane glyphs in the spell and rolls that many Power dice.

Archgoose
04-14-2015, 02:54 PM
Oh, well that's disappointing, kind of reduces his power/utility then because it's only really strong if you use an Arcane Quality and Delivery.

Vamic
07-06-2015, 09:05 AM
Ran into some trouble with the creature cards and keeping;

I use my disco-mirrored to copy the text on my creature card tentakiller, i then roll to Keep on both cards.
Do I keep both?
If so, does my disco-mirrored keep the copied text or do i copy again on my next spell?

Also, does my disco-mirrored count as a creature for "creature in play" and other card effects? I assume it counts as a normal illusion card.

Matt_Hyra
07-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Ran into some trouble with the creature cards and keeping;

I use my disco-mirrored to copy the text on my creature card tentakiller, i then roll to Keep on both cards.
Do I keep both?
If so, does my disco-mirrored keep the copied text or do i copy again on my next spell?

Also, does my disco-mirrored count as a creature for "creature in play" and other card effects? I assume it counts as a normal illusion card.

Once the Disco-Mirrored is done resolving, it no longer has the text it copied. It is not kept.
The Disco-Mirrored was never a Creature. It just had the text of the Delivery.