PDA

View Full Version : Question about illegal cards in a deck during a tournament

gedruspax
03-11-2012, 07:04 AM
So recently we had a situation come up where we were doing a draft and somebody drafted a Horde Paladin. We played the first round of the draft and everything went fine. The results were put in and the round 2 pairings were printed out. I ended up playing this person and during our first game of our 2 of 3 he played Mcloud the Fox. He didn't see that it was a Hunter card when he put it in his deck I think he thought it was just a pet card but not associated with a class.

I made him take an automatic game loss for our first game and made him fix his deck out of his sideboard. I ended up winning the 2nd game so we were done. When we finished he pulled me aside and said that he felt bad because during his first game he played that card against the person he was paired with and that it more than likely was a large reason he won his first game against that person.

Obviously we couldn't go back at that point and change his win against that person to a loss because that would have changed all the pairings/standings.

What was the appropriate thing to do in this situation because I honestly wasn't sure.

jinxed8602
03-11-2012, 11:22 AM
If this was a battleground, the correct penalty would be a warning, not a game loss. As long as he fixed his deck it's fine.

benjibot
03-12-2012, 08:21 AM
You made the correct call for a competitive level event, but as jinxed said at a Normal level (Battlegrounds) event the correct penalty is a Warning.

If no decklists are being used, and this is a Normal RL event, the player must remove all illegal
cards from all zones and replace them with legal cards. Those legal cards are then shuffled into
the randomized portion of their deck. Then, based on where the illegal cards were found, the
player will perform one or more of the following actions:
• If an illegal card was found in play, the Deck, the Graveyard or the RFG zone, then nothing
more is done and play continues as normal.
• If an illegal card was found in the player’s hand, then that player will put cards from the top of
their deck into their hand until they have replaced the same number of illegal cards. (This is not a
draw event.)
The penalty for Illegal Deck is a Warning at the Normal RL and a Game Loss at the Competitive
RL.

I've seen the exact same thing happen during a draft myself. Folks just miss McCloud's Hunter icon.

behemothdan
03-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Folks just miss McCloud's Hunter icon.

He's just that sneaky.

generalbrat
03-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Mcclouds tag should be star fighter pilot!!!! GO STARFOX!!!