PDA

View Full Version : Level 1 v. Level 2

Xeonio
03-18-2012, 11:12 PM
The difference between a level 1 and level 2 judge is simply knowledge of the rules? Would anyone care to expand on this (if there is more).

Thanks

coolsy123
03-18-2012, 11:24 PM
The player management.
This requires the accumulation of the judging experience.

Patrigan
03-22-2012, 02:48 PM
There are quite a few important differences

Not to be blunt, but basically anyone could be a level 1 judge. A level 1 is primarily for people that want to grow as a judge, or want to be able to run local tournaments.

A level 2 will have to prove up front that he can actually be a good level 2. In contray to the level 1 test, the level 2 is closed book. There is also an evalutation made by a level 2 or higher judge. Lastly, some experience at local level is advisable (but not required).

Xeonio
03-26-2012, 03:39 PM
You're fine Pat. That's the kind of information I'm looking for. I'm trying to make an article out of it. Give people more information on advancing through the judge ranks. A more in depth look at it if you will.

Thank you for the information.

cervidal
03-26-2012, 04:49 PM
It's a real PITA to get that level 2 recommendation. It ends up largely coming down to who you know.

vampy
03-27-2012, 02:00 AM
It's a real PITA to get that level 2 recommendation. It ends up largely coming down to who you know.

Not really, if you go to big events and make the effort , you will get a far evaluation off other expert judges or artisan judges
There most of the time a DMF close to you that you can try to get in on the staff team.
That is how the higher level Judges get the experiences to grow in the Judging community.

cervidal
03-27-2012, 07:38 AM
May be your experience. Isn't mine; have to get that nearby DMF and/or accepted to work a staff position first, which isn't as easy as you make it out to be.

vampy
03-28-2012, 01:16 AM
if you apply to a dmf without asking for sponsorship the chances to get in are not bad. But I'm from europe , I dont know how it is in the usa or other places.
We always have journeyman on the staff team.

demonfae
03-28-2012, 07:43 AM
if you apply to a dmf without asking for sponsorship the chances to get in are not bad..

I will confirm that this is true. If you're Journeyman judge with little to no large event experience, your best bet is to apply to work a DMF and cover your own travel. Mentioning in your application that you're looking for an L2 recommendation and have no one in your area who can provide it will also increase your chances.

The L2 recommendation is meant to be somewhat of a PITA to get--it's part of the screening process and demonstrates that you're willing to go out of your way for it.

vampy
03-29-2012, 12:33 AM
I will confirm that this is true. If you're Journeyman judge with little to no large event experience, your best bet is to apply to work a DMF and cover your own travel. Mentioning in your application that you're looking for an L2 recommendation and have no one in your area who can provide it will also increase your chances.

The L2 recommendation is meant to be somewhat of a PITA to get--it's part of the screening process and demonstrates that you're willing to go out of your way for it.

ty for clearing up what I was trying to say :)