PDA

View Full Version : Some questions

tiborvadovan
03-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Hi,
We tried playing this today for the first time. Nice game, simple ruleset but fun and interesting to play.
Some questions did pop up during play though:

1- Do you account for 0 point ties in sucessfully resolved challenges? e.g: what happens if a single player beats the challenge (and no other player has any points of the appropriate color). Do you resolve ties for the 0-point players normally, or does nobody win 2nd place (or does the winner take 2nd place reward too)? I think the rules suggest you must have points to score, but i'd like to be sure.
2 - Some key cards can be played "in your turn", while others may be played "during a challenge". It is not very clear what (if any) difference there is between these terms (there is no "challenge" in the game play flow). "your turn" seems reasonably clear (but see bellow anyway), but "during a challenge" is fuzzier... does it mean anytime during (any?) player's turn and challenge resolution?
3 - Just to be absolutely clear: in the last page of the manual, first you have the players turns then resolution. I suppose that revealing played cards is already a part of "resolution" and not "player turn"? this is important, for example, for determining exactly when you can play the Omega Key (i.e: as written I believe it must be played before revealing cards).
4- Philosophoreus (?!) Key - this card almost certainly needs an errata, right? it states "at the beginning of your turn (...) played this turn.", and, well, since it is played at the beginning of "my turn" then my opponent won't have played any cards in it,... It is clear enough, I guess, that the intent is "played on his last turn." or "played this round", right?
5 - Resolution: I think we got this right but anyway: first you resolve the challenges in play order, after that, at the round end, you resolve any other effects (i.e: combos) , right?
6 - On the money combos: the rules state that we should account for the values of cards when revealed: Does this mean that if I change the value of one of the revealed cards with a key, it won't impact on combo resolution? Or, that I can trigger the effect of the combo, then pump one card and still collect the reward? Generically speaking, when do you actually check to see if the conditions (of the combo) are met?

I'm sorry if these are apparent from the rules as written...
Thanks for the help anyway
Take care,
Jorge

Matt_Hyra
03-26-2012, 01:07 PM
1. Players who don't play cards are not eligible for rewards. If only one player is on a Challenge, the 2nd Place reward is not given out.

2. Keys can actually be put into play at any time, but some have specific times when they resolve. The phrase "during a Challenge" just means you can get the benefit of your Key whenever you want during the current round of play. Anytime up until the final resolution of the Challenge.

3. You must play the Omega Key during your own turn. No one reveals the cards they have played until the end of the round.

4. No errata needed. Let me explain more. With the Philosophoscope Key, at the start of each of your turns while you have it, you get to peek at another player's face-down cards. If you are going first in the round, the other players won't have any cards face down yet. If you are going 2nd, you can look at player 1's cards. If you are going 4th, you can look at player 1, 2, or 3's cards. It doesn't matter when you play the Key. Now you have valuable information to help you decide what to play. Does that help?

5. First you determine if the Challenge was successful or not, then resolve all effects (including scoring the Challenge) in turn order.

6. You don't check the conditions until you are resolving your cards in turn order. So if you play a Key to add 5 to your Strength value, that will increase your total. If that puts you too high for the On the Money Combo, it fails. If that makes your total Strength right on the money, then it works.

Good questions. Glad you are having fun!

tiborvadovan
03-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Wow that was fast and crystal clear! Thanks :)
I think i'll just have a good long reread of the Philosophoscope key again, maybe I misread it... but your explanation is quite clear anyway as to how it should work.
Thanks for designing this little gem :)
EDIT:
Ok, i understand my confusion now... the text is
"At the start of your turn, chose a player. You may look at any face-down Strength cards he has played this turn.". I read it like "At the start of your turn, chose a player. You may look at any face-down Strength cards (he has played this turn)." but it actually means something like "At the start of your turn, chose a player. This turn, you may look at any face-down Strength cards he has played.". That pretty much clears it ;)

tiborvadovan
03-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Hi,
Sorry just one more quick clarification:

- "1. Players who don't play cards are not eligible for rewards. If only one player is on a Challenge, the 2nd Place reward is not given out."

"don't play cards" is not the same as "don't play any points of the appropriate color". Do you mean strictly the former, or the later? In the former case, a player that only played an off-color card might be eligible?

thanks,
Jorge

Zeenigami
03-27-2012, 11:22 AM
If you played cards, but none of your cards are worth points, you still are ineligible for the second place prize. In your situation, where the other players played cards but they are worth no points, nobody gets the second place prize.

Matt_Hyra
03-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Off color only plays would not be eligible for 2nd place. I guess I could have written: Players who don't play any on-color cards are not eligible for rewards.

Hi,
Sorry just one more quick clarification:

- "1. Players who don't play cards are not eligible for rewards. If only one player is on a Challenge, the 2nd Place reward is not given out."

"don't play cards" is not the same as "don't play any points of the appropriate color". Do you mean strictly the former, or the later? In the former case, a player that only played an off-color card might be eligible?

thanks,
Jorge

tiborvadovan
03-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Thanks!
(10 char filler)