PDA

View Full Version : Judge harassment before events

Harkas
04-09-2012, 12:17 PM
To any top level judge I would just like to know out if a player tries to harass a judge by threatening his credibility as a judge weeks before a major event can any sanction be given to that player? If yes or no what actions can be taken?

Viteh
04-09-2012, 12:20 PM
What do you mean by threatening his credibility?

Harkas
04-09-2012, 12:25 PM
What do you mean by threatening his credibility?
The player tells him that all of his bad calls would be made public via forums, group discussions and etc.. This way people would know what type of judge he is. However as we know judges do make bad calls especial if we are just starting out or for other unwanted reasons.

blackroseyagami
04-09-2012, 12:26 PM
If by threatening his credibility you mean he accuses the judge of not being capable or fair enough for the job... although I might find it annoying I see no fault in the player, AS LONG as its just a comment made directly to the judge and not being used as gossip to inflict misstrust in the players.

If its a direct threat to the judge... then there should be appropriate warning done.

cervidal
04-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Just call the person out, very publicly. Dancing around with vague forum posts doesn't help.

If you have some kind of actual direct evidence, post it up, don't wuss out using some forum 'hypothetical' thread.

People, collectively, are giant wimps in person to person contact. Call them out on it face to face, in front of the group, whatever. Folk who make threats on this thrive on your desire to be polite and not cause a scene as a figure of authority.

Harkas
04-09-2012, 12:34 PM
If by threatening his credibility you mean he accuses the judge of not being capable or fair enough for the job... although I might find it annoying I see no fault in the player, AS LONG as its just a comment made directly to the judge and not being used as gossip to inflict misstrust in the players.

If its a direct threat to the judge... then there should be appropriate warning done.

1) Sadly the player did start a topic to inflict mistrust. He did claim at first that it was not personal but as how he reacts to the response given to him its more of a mistrust issue.

2) What type of actions are we allowed to give as a judge just to be clear?

Harkas
04-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Just call the person out, very publicly. Dancing around with vague forum posts doesn't help.

If you have some kind of actual direct evidence, post it up, don't wuss out using some forum 'hypothetical' thread.

People, collectively, are giant wimps in person to person contact. Call them out on it face to face, in front of the group, whatever. Folk who make threats on this thrive on your desire to be polite and not cause a scene as a figure of authority.

I do have screen shot evidences and I am willing to post it but it is written in our dialect and I don't think it would help at all since most won't understand it.

blackroseyagami
04-09-2012, 12:46 PM
1) Sadly the player did start a topic to inflict mistrust. He did claim at first that it was not personal but as how he reacts to the response given to him its more of a mistrust issue.

2) What type of actions are we allowed to give as a judge just to be clear?

1) This is a delicate issue, as I said I do believe players have the right to call out judges and TO's but to do so in a fair way, we make mistakes, that is a reality. Pointing it out in a public forum I believe is taking it too far, and should be done only if the situation has been tried in person with the judge and the judge has opted to ignore, and even like that I have my doubts.

2) There is no specific Penalty Guideline for this, unless it can be proven to be in an agressive manner

UC3 - Severe Unsporting Conduct
This penalty is appropriate for extreme examples of unsporting conduct, and results in a
disqualification without prize. A statement must be sent to the address at the start of this
document outlining the incident leading to this penalty.

A player does not need to be enrolled in the tournament to commit this infraction. If a spectator or
a player no longer in the tournament commits this infraction, the judge should enroll them into
the tournament and disqualify them.

The penalty for Severe Unsporting Conduct is a Disqualification for both Rules Levels.

Examples:
1) A player writes on tablecloths or defaces the tournament area. The player should be
Disqualified without Prize.

2) A player verbally threatens a judge. The player should be taken aside and Disqualified without
Prize.

3) A player intentionally causes damage to the tournament site or someone else’s belongings. The
player should be Disqualified without Prize.

Harkas
04-09-2012, 12:55 PM
1) This is a delicate issue, as I said I do believe players have the right to call out judges and TO's but to do so in a fair way, we make mistakes, that is a reality. Pointing it out in a public forum I believe is taking it too far, and should be done only if the situation has been tried in person with the judge and the judge has opted to ignore, and even like that I have my doubts.

2) There is no specific Penalty Guideline for this, unless it can be proven to be in an agressive manner

Thanks for your great help!

Viteh
04-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Well, I'd try to talk to him. There's no point in shaming a judge. I am guessing he's mad because the judge's bad calls made him lose. Show him that the judge is trying to improve, and that at the big event, he'll prepare more.
Also, if you are just starting as a judge, I'd try not to make calls I am not sure of at a big event. Ask the other judges, or just take a minute to check the rules. The players may get mad if you take too long, but they would get even madder if they lose because of your bad call. Besides, you can always give them more time in the round if you took too long.

cervidal
04-09-2012, 01:03 PM
I do have screen shot evidences and I am willing to post it but it is written in our dialect and I don't think it would help at all since most won't understand it.

Forget the internet crap. Call them out face to face at the event. Print out a copy and bring it with you.

The internet is the ultimate forum for anonymous bullying. Stand up for yourself.

Harkas
04-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Forget the internet crap. Call them out face to face at the event. Print out a copy and bring it with you.

The internet is the ultimate forum for anonymous bullying. Stand up for yourself.

I'll do that this coming event to clear things up with him. Thanks for your advice!

ngphil
04-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Hello Harkas.

You have to go into this with a clear head. Even if the manner in which the player mentioned was wrong in the manner in bringing up the issue, let's not add fuel to the fire. Our goal is still to grow and keep the community and not to start alienating people by infighting. I need to know you're going into the event with a clear and level head for me to allow you to continue being a judge for the event. I wish you had been there last Tuesday so we could have discussed what I propose we do regarding the issue on the event day. Rest assured the rest of the judging team and me as the TO have your back. I need to however be reassured that you are going into this with a level head.

Thanks.