PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Lvl 2 judge

darthbaal
08-12-2012, 05:08 AM
Hi I am from Yukon Territory, Canada. We are starting to get many active players at our tournament grounds and I am feeling that it would be beneficial to upgrade my Judge level. I live quite far away from many of the larger events, so i am hoping that I can get a recommendation over the internet. I have over 3 years experience with the wow trading card game. I have also been head judge at most of our local battlegrounds. I look forward to a reply from someone who is able to help.

Patrigan
08-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Might I ask a few questions? These could help other Experts and Artisans to assess your quality. I will not personally recommend you at this stage, since I like to meet someone in person. This is sadly enough not possible...

Why do you feel it is beneficial to upgrade your judge level? Similarly, what do you feel being an Expert will contribute to your judging quality?

How often have you properly read the CR?

What is the most difficult rules question you have ever had?

darthbaal
08-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Hello,
Thank you for a prompt reply. I am aiming for level 2 because wow tcg is my passion. I love everything about this card game. I am very knowledgeable as it is for the card game, I just feel that taking my judge skill would help myself to grow further. I am very active with helping players at local battleground and have been head judge at all local events since May 2011.

I read through all the wow tcg official documents on a regular basis. If I see a play that I feel I need more info about I will reference the comprehensive rules when I get home so that I can better understand the rulings for said play.

The most difficult question is a tough one to remember. I am called over to games quite often. It would have to be regarding the hero flip of Amaxi the Cruel. Player 1 plays pygmy pyramid and passes the turn, player 2 flips Amaxi and player's 1 end of turn, player 2 then plays boundless hellfire for 6 damage saying that pygmy pyramid is removed from play due to hero flip. I am called by player 1 he asks if his pygmy pyramid's destroy effect will still work, I tell player 1 that because the Pygmy is removed from play the effect will not trigger as the card was not destroyed it was removed from play. The question certainly is not a real tough one.

I can understand if I can't do the level upgrade online. I am thinking about playing in RC, DMF, NACC, and WC next year if possible. I may just talk with some of the judges at those events and get everything figured out.

Patrigan
08-19-2012, 10:46 AM
I can understand if I can't do the level upgrade online. I am thinking about playing in RC, DMF, NACC, and WC next year if possible. I may just talk with some of the judges at those events and get everything figured out.

If you manage this, then you would certainly have a better shot at becoming level 2.

Judging by your answers, I can not formulate a definitive answer upon how good I feel you are. However, judging by your passion I do sense a lot of potential. For that reason I hope you take the time to grow and try to become even better than you are already. Talking with a higher level judge at a higher level event will certainly pave your road to judgedom.

I hope to be hearing more from you in the future and apologies I can not be of much assistance. I hope another Canadian might be able to help you out in the near future :)

Aaric
08-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Sorry, I was playing MoP beta.

If you are planning on travelling to those events you mentioned, why not send an application in when the judge call goes up? Observing you judging a major event for the weekend is the best way to get a reccomendation, and I would be happy to do so if you performed well (assuming I got to judge at the same event).

Patrick asked some good questions, but could you please elaborate a little further on your answer to his first one? If you would prefer to discuss it in private please send me a pm.

Patrigan
08-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Sorry, I was playing MoP beta.

>.<

Thanks for taking over Aaric, as a Canadian you're more suited to handle his request.

darthbaal
09-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Thanks guys. I plan to apply for roll calls and also attend the larger tournaments as a player. I was head judge at the state champs for our local store. It was a very good experience, I had to issue a game loss but other that that the tournament went well.

Aaric, if you can keep me up to date on any large level tournaments being held in Canada I would greatly appreciate it.

Shirik
09-16-2012, 09:32 PM
If I may ask, what was the game loss issued for?

Aaric
09-16-2012, 11:54 PM
Thanks guys. I plan to apply for roll calls and also attend the larger tournaments as a player. I was head judge at the state champs for our local store. It was a very good experience, I had to issue a game loss but other that that the tournament went well.

Aaric, if you can keep me up to date on any large level tournaments being held in Canada I would greatly appreciate it.

Canada doesn't get large tournaments any more. The first and last one we had was a nats in '07.

darthbaal
09-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Game loss was issued for Major Unsporting Conduct. Player was aggressive to opponent, banging his own cards on the table, very rude behavior. I took him aside and told him that I will be issuing a game loss to him and that his behavior needs to improve. He returned to the table and apologized to his opponent. His was much better for the rest of the tournament.