PDA

View Full Version : Rules Questions

PhoenixCNY
11-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Got to play for the first time last night, and while I enjoyed it, my group had a number of issues. Hoping to get some clarification.

Political Agenda - Is this an "action" card simply because there's no better place to put it?

Leg Sweep - Text says "target hero". Would there ever be any more than one hero in combat?

"Sacrifice" and "Discard" cards on action card piles - (Ex: Rampage, Berserk, Shield) Can a player simply move the card from the stack to the sacrifice pile and gain it's benefit during their turn? Similarly, can a card be "discarded" for its effect by moving it from the stack to your own discard pile?

Desperation - Strangely worded. Do I play the card to the "Field of Play", then choose to sacrifice it later? Or, do I have to decide whether or not to sacrifice the card when it's "played"?

Flame Basilisk - States that "no additional action cards may be played this combat", but the rules state that action cards may not be played until after the encounter card is revealed. Am I missing something? Why is "additional" used if I couldn't have played any yet?

Ooq - States "If your hero is Peepohu, your scouts have +1 damage". When would this effect ever occur? Am I wrong that you can't play scouts in your own combat, nor can you play allies to block/aid?

Also, I feel like the rules could use a revision. It's odd to see only one term in the "Game Terms" section, and to read about rules here on this forum that aren't mentioned in the book, especially with regard to things like action/reaction timing, "negating" cards not negating the entire card, and end-game conditions which seem way to fundamental to the game to be left off.

Thanks for the help.

Matt_Hyra
11-06-2012, 10:58 AM
PAgenda: Yes

Leg Sweep: No

Sac & Discard: If you sacrifice a card from the action stack, it goes to the sacrificed pile. You can't discard a card from on top of an action stack. Discarding may only be done from your hand.

Desperation: You have to decide as soon as you play it.

Flame Basilisk: You can play cards prior to combat. The rules under Assembly Phase say you can play the top 2 cards at any time and you can "play any Action cards from your hand or keep them hidden until after your opponents have decided whether or not to help or hinder you in combat."

Ooq: You can play Scouts during your own combat, but not to Aid or Block. So they only do anything during combat if you have Ooq or some other Scout-booster in play.

Actions can be played during your turn. Reactions may literally be played at any time. There is no mention of a chain, so a card played is a card resolved, unless a card specifically says it can negate the effects of another card. Negating the effects of a card won't negate a built in gold value.

Top of page 12 has the end-game conditions.

Thanks for the questions and comments!

PhoenixCNY
11-06-2012, 03:43 PM
PAgenda: Yes

Seems like a different type of card would have been useful, like "Trophy" or some such.

Leg Sweep: No

Perhaps in expansions?

Sac & Discard: If you sacrifice a card from the action stack, it goes to the sacrificed pile. You can't discard a card from on top of an action stack. Discarding may only be done from your hand.

This sort of thing ought to be in the "Game Terms" section, as this is not mentioned anywhere in the rules. I know some might say "It's obvious", but that's the point of rules clarifications.

Desperation: You have to decide as soon as you play it.

Maybe it's a quibble, but it seems like "Play this card for effect A, sacrifice it for effect B" would make more sense.

Flame Basilisk: You can play cards prior to combat. The rules under Assembly Phase say you can play the top 2 cards at any time and you can "play any Action cards from your hand or keep them hidden until after your opponents have decided whether or not to help or hinder you in combat."

Combat Phase Part 3 seems to contradict this. "After you have satisfied any conditions required by the encounter, you may play any cards in your hand". Why make it explicit in this phase's directions and not in the other ones? I think that's where our confusion came from.

Ooq: You can play Scouts during your own combat, but not to Aid or Block. So they only do anything during combat if you have Ooq or some other Scout-booster in play.

Where in the rules is it mentioned that Scouts can be used in any capacity outside of Aiding or Blocking? Perhaps the text of Ooq should state "If Ooq is your Hero, Scouts have strength 1 and can be treated as allies during this combat."

Actions can be played during your turn. Reactions may literally be played at any time. There is no mention of a chain, so a card played is a card resolved, unless a card specifically says it can negate the effects of another card. Negating the effects of a card won't negate a built in gold value.

There's no mention of a chain or stack, but calling a card a "reaction" might lead some to believe it can be used to "respond" to an action. During our game, someone played "Fresh Recruits" as a "reaction" to "Luck Spirits", which seemed to make sense. Also, the "negate" rule could be helpful to include on the text of the card, or in the rules.

Top of page 12 has the end-game conditions.

..but doesn't mention anything about whether the game ends immediately, or whether the rest of the turn is played out, as presumably combat would be the only phase during which experience is gained (in the current set), yet renown can be purchased.

Thank you for the clarifications posted in this and other threads. I hope to see an errata posted somewhere soon!

Finally, one other quibble: the font used in the game text of the cards makes it easy to mistake a 1 for a 2 across even just the distance between players on opposite sides of the game board. I'm old, but my vision is still pretty good and it struck me as odd.

Thanks again!