PDA

View Full Version : Variants

sivartalappes
11-21-2012, 07:57 PM
I was just reviewing the rulebook online. I see a couple of variants (a 1-v-1 with 2 characters each, a normal game with a more frequently changing center row, and a 2-v-2 team game). I don't see one for solo play. Any suggestions for a solitaire variant?

I feel like the Ascension solitarie variant (where the "opponent" auto-acuires the 2 cards furthest from the center deck) would work well with this game... except for the Super-villain deck... not sure how to incorporate that.

Matt_Hyra
11-22-2012, 02:13 PM
The game could be played solo by putting yourself on a clock. Like:

~You have 25 turns in which to beat all 8 Super-Villains. When you complete that challenge, try to beat them all in 20 turns next time.

You should also use the "On Patrol" variant and have the Attacks that hit the Line-Up even between turns hit you. Otherwise you'll never get attacked except by the Super-Villains.

Give it a try and post any other methods you come up with.

chiboloco
12-06-2012, 08:42 AM
I like the clock idea. How about the super villain 1st appearance attack happens each turn.

Grish
12-08-2012, 08:10 AM
The game could be played solo by putting yourself on a clock. Like:

~You have 25 turns in which to beat all 8 Super-Villains. When you complete that challenge, try to beat them all in 20 turns next time.

21 turns. So close to 20 :|

houjix
12-08-2012, 03:24 PM
I did in in 20, barely with Flash as my Super Hero.

This is what I came up with for solo rules:

Choose you Hero (random or select your favorite) or 2 Heroes you want to do a team-up.
Super Villian deck as normal
Board set up as normal, except turn the Weakness deck facedown as it will be used as the game timer. You could use a D20 or any other way to track the turns, but the deck just happened to be 20 cards so it worked out perfect.
Begin the Game

At the start of each turn, flip over a Weakenss card. Play your turn as normal until the point right after you draw 5 new cards. Then choose one card from the line up and destroy it. Refill the line-up. If the card is a villian with an Attack treat it like the On Patrol variant where you suffer that Attack. Flip over a new Super Villian if needed, suffering their First Appearance - Attack like a normal game. Proceed until the entire Weakness deck has been turned over(20 turns) and total your score. Award yourself +5 points if you clear the entire Super Villian stack and +1 point for each remaining Weakness (turns).

Notes about certain effects:

Any of your cards that need to reveal or discard a card from your foe's hand or deck use the top card of the Main Deck as a substitute.

Using these rules, I scored 68 points which included +5 for clearing all Super Villians, but no remaining turns. Final turn consisted of having a hand with +6 Power(one of which was the Batmobile) and a Kid Flash and Deathstroke was the final Super Villian. So my options were play Kid Flash and draw two thanks to Flash's power and hope to get +3 Power in those 2 cards, or play the Batmobile and draw 6 new cards hoping to get +9 Power. I went the Batmobile route and ended up getting 16 Power which I used to defeat Deathstroke and grab a 3 and 4 cost card from the Lineup. I would have been able to defeat Deathstroke had I just used Kid Flash as a +3 power was on top of my deck, but I don't remember if I would have been able to gain any additional cards.

Give it a shot and tell me what you think.

Talon378
06-14-2013, 02:18 PM
I used a suggestion I found on Boarggame Geek and did a little altering to come up with a pretty cool solo variant. What I do is:

1) Start with a random five super villains placed face down above the lineup.

2) Then I deal out a lineup of 10 random cards from the main deck under each super villain, 10 each with the first face up.

3) Next, I create a deck of 7 punch and 3 vulnerability, just as normal.

4) The Kicks and Weaknesses are set out but are only used if cards reference them.

5) Randomly pick out a hero to play as.

6) Play as normal, five cards per turn, buying cards from the lineup. Once any card is purchased, the card underneath is revealed at the end of the turn and the Supervillain above that stack is revealed. Any cards containing an attack target the player as normal, meaning that if two attacks are revealed at once, the hero must then respond to both attacks in the order of their choosing. To add a layer of difficulty, the player MUST spend as many of his points as possible. This means that if you have two ppower to spend, and there is a 2 point card available, you must buy that card.

7) Any defeat of a Supervillain allows you to acquire any cards still left under that SV. Any cards not wanted can be placed into the destroyed pile.

8) Any pile that runs out of cards allows the Super Villain that is above to escape, which denies you you those points.

9) The object is to finish with as many victory points as possible, the more the better.

Give it a shot, and see what you all think.
Dallas Honeycutt