PDA

View Full Version : Superman VS Batman

sivartalappes
12-13-2012, 04:05 PM
So... I just realized that the Batman hero is more powerful than the Superman hero. Being a Superman FANATIC, this makes me sad.

Batman gets +1 power for every equipment played.
Superman gets +1 power for every DIFFERENT super power played.

So Superman could play 5 super powers, but only get +1 additional if they were all the same.

Batman could play 5 equipments, and get +5 even if they were all the same.

This does not seem right to me...

jollytothegreen
12-13-2012, 04:11 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kss7hrtHrc1qz8l7to1_500.jpg

"Get out of my cave."

LexLuthorJr
12-13-2012, 05:03 PM
So... I just realized that the Batman hero is more powerful than the Superman hero. Being a Superman FANATIC, this makes me sad.

I thought that at first as well, but after looking at the cards, I am not so sure.

First of all, Kick is always available even from the start. Superman is all but guaranteed a useful card on the first turn. Next, the Super Power cards are a little better in general, which is generally why they cost more. Their base powers are higher and they have slightly better effects. Another point is that Superman's signature card, Man of Steel, is much better than Batman's card, Dark Knight, at face-value.

I also found that even though there is a fair amount of Equipment, it is more difficult for Batman to grab it than it is for Superman to grab Super Powers. Many of the Equipment cards are just generically good for all characters, so many of the better ones would be snagged by other characters. The Cape and Cowl would be great for anybody, for example, and anyone could easily meet the Utility Belt criteria. I don't see many players finding Super Strength particularly worth it, though.

The only major competition for acquiring Super Powers is Cyborg. But he's also grabbing equipment, too!

I'm not saying Batman is bad by any means, I just don't think he is "better" than Superman.

LexLuthorJr
12-13-2012, 05:05 PM
"Get out of my cave."

I remember that fight. That was after Flash covered Superman with bombs, Green Arrow shot him with a kryptonite bomb arrow, and The Atom jumped in his head and started messing with his body, right?

jollytothegreen
12-13-2012, 05:35 PM
I remember that fight. That was after Flash covered Superman with bombs, Green Arrow shot him with a kryptonite bomb arrow, and The Atom jumped in his head and started messing with his body, right?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QjmvqlEwUl4/Tb3glrnYA1I/AAAAAAAAAHg/uofGJ4BF4_4/s1600/NOPE.jpg

JesusChristMD
12-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Though my favorite fight came during the first 'Hush' storyline.

k4m4c4usey
12-14-2012, 12:57 PM
I thought that at first as well, but after looking at the cards, I am not so sure.

First of all, Kick is always available even from the start. Superman is all but guaranteed a useful card on the first turn. Next, the Super Power cards are a little better in general, which is generally why they cost more. Their base powers are higher and they have slightly better effects. Another point is that Superman's signature card, Man of Steel, is much better than Batman's card, Dark Knight, at face-value.

I also found that even though there is a fair amount of Equipment, it is more difficult for Batman to grab it than it is for Superman to grab Super Powers. Many of the Equipment cards are just generically good for all characters, so many of the better ones would be snagged by other characters. The Cape and Cowl would be great for anybody, for example, and anyone could easily meet the Utility Belt criteria. I don't see many players finding Super Strength particularly worth it, though.

The only major competition for acquiring Super Powers is Cyborg. But he's also grabbing equipment, too!

I'm not saying Batman is bad by any means, I just don't think he is "better" than Superman.

I have played 20+ games of the game so far and I would have to agree with the other guy. Batman is much better than Superman. I would even go as far as saying he is one of the worst, if not the worst. There is like 3x the amount of equipment than super powers and even though kick starts in play you dont want a bunch of kicks clogging your deck down. The fact that they have to be different super powers is what is so brutal. The super powers are some of the better cards in the game so people fight over them. Heat vision anyone?

LexLuthorJr
12-14-2012, 05:36 PM
The only other thing I can think of is maybe a misinterpretation of the rules? Is it that Superman gets the +1 for each different Super Power card? Maybe because of the X-Ray Vision loop it needed to be worded that way. Is there a company rep who can comment on this?

Matt_Hyra
12-14-2012, 08:01 PM
+1 for each different name, not physical card. If X-Ray Vision reveals another X-Ray, it's +1 total for the two X-Rays.

JimL
12-14-2012, 10:26 PM
This may be the only place were this seems true Aquaman is way better than either superman or even batman by a huge margin. I have only seen batman, superman, cyborg and Aquaman in play thus far but man is getting quick use of what your buying is absolutely brokers and is not dependant really at all what cards come out.

LexLuthorJr
12-15-2012, 10:13 AM
+1 for each different name, not physical card. If X-Ray Vision reveals another X-Ray, it's +1 total for the two X-Rays.

Matt,

Was there any particular reason as to why Superman was given that restriction and Batman was not?

Matt_Hyra
12-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Matt,

Was there any particular reason as to why Superman was given that restriction and Batman was not?

Kick cards being always available means no one can deny Superman his bonuses, while you can scoop up all of Batman's Equipment. Also, Super Powers are more Power-ful than Equipment. Yes, the Batman player can deny Superman a Heat Vision or whatever, but then he's not feeding his Equipment theme, so they are both even at that point... except that Superman can still buy Kicks.

chiboloco
12-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Not only is Batman better than Superman but Batman decks with any super hero is good. There is a ton of great equipment. Combo this equipment with cards like Robin and it is awesome. One of the best cards in the game is Green Arrow's bow. The cards that give bonus points like utility belt are ridiculous good. Man of steel is probably the most powerful hero card and Cat woman maybe the best especially early.

bobtheguardian
12-18-2012, 07:06 PM
SERIOUSLY...
THIS IS MY SERIOUS FACE...
Aquaman is my favorite method of play.

I feel like I'm playing while stepping on the gas with Arthur.

sivartalappes
12-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Ok, it's official. The best SuperHero in this game is Cyborg. Whether playing a 2 player or a many player, whoever has Cyborg wins. And not by a little, but a big margin. Having 2 abilities that can both trigger on the same turn makes him just too damn good! My girlfriend argued that it wasn't the character, she was just better than me. So I refuted, first that neither of us would have Cyborg. I won that game. Then that I would have cyborg. I won that game by a 35 point spread.

If you have Cyborg, you win. Period.

JimL
12-19-2012, 12:59 AM
I still stand behind Aquaman. There are few turns or games that you will not get use of the card and is absolutely huge the first few turns were you get an immediate impact from the better cards you are putting into your deck.

vbui0803
01-27-2014, 06:43 PM

Batman gets +1 power for every equipment played.
Superman gets +1 power for every DIFFERENT super power played.

So Superman could play 5 super powers, but only get +1 additional if they were all the same.

Batman could play 5 equipments, and get +5 even if they were all the same.

This does not seem right to me...

I agree with u! I am fan of both superman and batman. But superman is my favorite hero alongside flash. I am bummed to see his ability be so limited.. Feel like he should have lil more to him cuz the different cards mess his ability up..

AaronH
01-27-2014, 08:40 PM
Batman's ability is better than Superman's on paper. In practice, Superman's ability blows Batman's out of the water, due to the presence of Kicks and Super Powers being far more powerful (and easier to get) than Equipment. Superman is far from the most powerful character in the game, but it's rare that Batman beats him.

N-Finite
01-28-2014, 11:17 AM
They are all good in there own way. It just depends on a lot of things:

1) how well you are able to abuse your Superhero ability
2) the cards that appear in the line-up
3) how good the player is at the game
4) how good your opponent is at the game
5) your hands
6) and of course luck

AaronH
01-28-2014, 12:36 PM
Very true. But given enough data, you will begin to see that some of the abilities are better in practice than others. My group has around 200 games logged (with recorded scores for every player/character per game) and Superman far outstrips Batman on average. I think we still need a few hundred more games (600 total, I believe, I'd have to double check) in order to eliminate player error.

Boon
01-29-2014, 03:04 PM
This game type is built on the idea of "Cerberus engine" Or whatever. Games will be close if everyone ramps properly and games will be lopsided if only one person ramps out and is able to keep his/her opponent's down. Its the nature of the game. I have won with every hero. I have lost with every hero. There's a bit of luck and a bit of skill and once everyone is on the same level, its back to luck.

No hero is more over powered than any other. Except for Martian Manhunter.. :o
I'm just kidding. I'm sure MM isn't the best.. maybe.

And always buy suicide squads.

jrhawk42
02-21-2014, 12:45 AM
While batman has a slight advantage early game late game superman ends up being much better. Most equipment cards are only worth 1-3 points with most of them being 1 point. The only 3 point card I can think of off the top of my head is a power ring which is only worth 3 if your top card is worth 2 buy. So if you have 3 equipment cards in your hand (which would be pretty good) then you're getting at the likely only getting 6-12 points (I'd say 8 is a safe average) from equipment, and relying on your other two cards to get your score higher.

Now if superman plays 3 kicks they're worth 7 points, and those are among the lowest of the superpower cards. Getting just two super strength cards puts him at 12 if I remember correctly. Not mention that pairing man of steel w/ superman is an amazing combo. Basically he's a free super villain assuming you didn't get him right when you shuffled.

On average super powers are worth more points than equipment so it makes sense that superman can't use his bonus for everything because he'd easily be better than Batman. Really the biggest downside to superman is that superpower cards are expensive, but if you can afford them they're the best cards in the game.

AaronH
02-21-2014, 07:52 AM
Two Super Strengths would be 11 (first one gets the boost, so 5+1+5). Superman is one of the highest-scoring heroes in the game on average, but he is still almost always beaten by Cyborg or Aquaman, because his lack of focus on other card types means he usually loses out on a lot of victory points (a la Utility Belt, Green Arrow, Suicide Squad). When he wins, it's usually because he was able to kill most of the Supervillains.

szuturon
02-25-2014, 09:14 AM
Superman > Batman in this game.

In my experience, equipments can be very hard to come by for Batman. Superman can buy 2 kicks in the first two hands and manage to buy a Super Strength or Man of Steel by third turn with enough luck. Equipments are cheap and powerful in effect, so they commonly get bought by other heroes. It's no secret that Wonder Woman can snowball fairly hard if you stick to buying villains. I would however, take an Aquaman's Trident or Power Ring over Poison Ivy or Penguin 9 times out of 10. Batman appears very powerful but the fact is he can be and is shut down very easily.

Back to Superman vs Batman. Here are some stats I've recorded from games my friends and I have played over the past year.
- Superman in 195 games played has won 53 times, lost 142 times of which he came in second place 62 times. He is ranked 6th out of 8 in winning percentage.
- Batman in 207 games played has won 36 times, lost 171 times of which he came in second place 63 times. He is ranked 8th out of 8 in winning percentage.
Most of these stats are recorded from 3 or 4 player games. Very few are from 2 player games and none are played with 5 players.