PDA

View Full Version : Specific Card Rulings and Clarifications

Pages : [1] 2 3

blackroseyagami
12-29-2012, 03:56 AM
So, I'll Take the Liberty of starting this, I will try to compile most questions asked already in the forums and get their answers alongside. Also provide a specific area so players can post questions regarding specific cards and gameplay.

QUESTIONS PENDING ANSWER

SPECIFIC SUPERHERO RULINGS

BATMAN: Batman gains +1 Power for EACH Equipment card played, no matter if they are named the same.

SUPERMAN: Superman gains +1 Power for EACH DIFFERENTLY NAMED Super Power Card played this turn.

GREEN LANTERN: To get the power bonus 3 DIFFERENTLY NAMED CARDS must be played.

AQUAMAN: Aquaman's Superhero ability is an "always on" type, it doesn't need to trigger like other cards, which means you can place cards on top of your deck using triggers before triggering something to draw from your deck.

SUPERVILLAIN & MAIN DECK CARDS RULINGS

Q: Can I Play cards, then buy something and Play a card after buying again?
A: There is no "Phase" to buy or play cards, you can do it at any moment during your turn.

Q: I play out 12 power to defeat Parallax and i used aquaman's trident to put him to the top, then i used Kid Flash to draw him and play him afterwards do I get 12 Power Again?
A: Parallax does not double any of the power you have spent already. ( Source (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=21360&p=193100&viewfull=1#post193100))

Q: Can I return Ra's Al Ghul to my deck if I discard it?
A: Only resolve a cards powers when you play it from your hand. ( Source (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=21356&p=193080&viewfull=1#post193080))

Q: When an player plays Starro does he gain the discarded card?
A: You only get to play the cards. You do not gain them. They go back to their owner's discard pile. ( Source (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=21188&p=192098&viewfull=1#post192098))

Q: After the First Appearance Attack from Anti-Monitor, Will the Line-up stay this larger amount the rest of the game, or will the extra cards just replace bought/gained cards instead of flipping from the main deck until the Line-up becomes less than 5 cards?
A: Rulebook page 11, under the Anti-Monitor entry: "Note that after his First Appearance—Attack, the cards each player adds to the Line-Up will often leave the Line-Up with five or more cards, so don’t fill a seemingly empty slot without counting the total first." ( Source (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=21265&p=192454&viewfull=1#post192454))

Q: Can "Suicide Squad" effect of playing 3 copies be defended?
A: It is not an Attack, thus it cannot be Defended Against

Q: If I play Parallax on my turn and then play a Clayface after it, what happens to my Power?
A: Playing 2 Parallax cards would result in 4x power (2x2). ( Source (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=21414&p=193556&viewfull=1#post193556))

Q: If I have a location and play and I play a card of the type requested by that location to draw a cards do I draw 2 cards?
A: If this was your first card draw of the turn, then Yes

Q: Also when I discard a card as a defense does it count as playing a card (to trigger his ability)?
A: On a Standar Game it won't work as Flash reads: "The First Time a card tells you to draw one or more cards during each of your turns, draw an additional card". So it only happens in your turn. ( Source (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=21427&p=193494&viewfull=1#post193494))

Q: Can I activate Suicide Squad's Effect using 2 cards and a Clayface or a Single card plus 2 Clayface?
A: yes, copying one of the 2 Suicide Squads you have already played with Clayface does trigger their discard effect ( Source (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=21409&p=193431&viewfull=1#post193431))

Q: If i play Clayface to Copy a Super Power and my Hero is Superman, do I get the bonus power for his Efect?
A: Clayface says you get to play a card you've already played this turn again. It's considered playing another card (to trigger effects like Martian Manhunter), but would not trigger Superman's power since it is not a "different" superpower. The reminder text is there to remind you that you still get effects from the first time you played the card (i.e. the +3 Power). ( Source (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=21404&p=193426&viewfull=1#post193426))

Q: Say I'm playing Aquaman and I have Arkham Asylum out. I play Cheetah to gain a card costing 4 or less. Now, which happens first, me being able to put the card I gained on top of my deck, or me drawing a card?
A: Aquaman's Superhero ability is an "always on" type, so it's not a triggered effect like Arkham Asylum is. Place the gained card in the desired spot before resolving the Asylum. ( Source (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=21486&p=193980&viewfull=1#post193980) )

Q: What happens to the cards revealed and played using Brainiacs Effect?
A: The cards played by Brainiac go back to the hand of player they were revealed from. ( Source (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=21560&p=194424&viewfull=1#post194424) )

Q: Can Anti-Monitor's ability be used to destroy as many cards in the line up as you want? Let's say that you destroy the first 5, put 5 new cards in the lineup, you don't like those, can you destroy the 5 new cards that were added to the line up?
A: You only resolve his ability once. So, you have to choose which cards you are destroying at the same time and can only choose the current cards in the line-up.

Q: If you use Jonn Jonz ability and he takes over the Supervillain for you, can you still buy the supervillian if you have enough points?
A: Yes, as JJ says to put it back, not put it back at end of turn like some other cards do. ( Source (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=21376&p=195075&viewfull=1#post195075))

Batmobile: To use this cards Discard Effect NO OTHER CARD must have been played in the turn already. So, if you use Starro, X-Ray Vision or some other card that lets you play other players cards, you cannot use the discard ability cause it will not be your first card played in the turn.

blackroseyagami
12-29-2012, 03:57 AM
*Taken Thinking ahead of space requirements*

blackroseyagami
12-29-2012, 03:57 AM
*Taken Thinking ahead of space requirements also*

blackroseyagami
12-29-2012, 03:58 AM
*Taken Thinking ahead of space requirements again*

blackroseyagami
12-29-2012, 03:58 AM
*Taken Thinking ahead of space requirements for the last time*

Ssobaekil
12-29-2012, 06:14 AM
the suicide squad's effect is NOT an attack and thus can not be defended against. If your opponent gets 3 suicide squads in a turn without placing them to the bottom with Zatana (or however you spell it), then they are just lucky and they get another turn.

sivartalappes
12-29-2012, 08:36 AM
^^ what he said. Suicide Squad does not say "attack", and therefore cannot be defended.

aoineko
01-03-2013, 04:56 PM
OK, if this thread is going to be stickied let's keep it clean.

chuu
01-19-2013, 09:46 AM
Can Anti-Monitor's ability be used to destroy as many cards in the line up as you want? Let's say that you destroy the first 5, put 5 new cards in the lineup, you don't like those, can you destroy the 5 new cards that were added to the line up?

thanks,

aoineko
01-19-2013, 11:34 AM
You only resolve his ability once. So, you have to choose which cards you are destroying at the same time and can only choose the current cards in the line-up.

chuu
01-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Ok, another question that came up today. If you use Jonn Jonz ability and he takes over the Supervillain for you, can you still buy the supervillian if you have enough points?

Matt_Hyra
01-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Ok, another question that came up today. If you use Jonn Jonz ability and he takes over the Supervillain for you, can you still buy the supervillian if you have enough points?

Yes, as JJ says to put it back, not put it back at end of turn like some other cards do.

DaddyMan
01-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Can you buy Weaknesses?

Love the game btw!

Matt_Hyra
01-24-2013, 12:39 AM
Can you buy Weaknesses?

Love the game btw!

No, page 4 of the rulebook says: "Weakness cards are never bought; they are gained only through unfriendly card effects."

Glad you like it!

ishd819
02-13-2013, 03:22 PM
After having too many arguments over this, I need an official ruling. In the rule book, Anti Monitor's card destroying ability states that Super Villains, Kicks, and Weaknesses are not legal targets because they are not in the Line Up. Our problem is that his first appearance attack just says any card 1 or greater get put back in the line up. Some want to put a kick and I argue no because it doesn't originate in the Line Up and is a cop out. It just doesn't make sense to be able to put a card in a place it didn't originate from, it's like a circle fitting in a square shaped hole. Then the argument came up with 4 punches and a Super villain and Anti Monitor came out. I claimed the player was safe, the others wanted him to add the villain to the Line up....I try to explain to them that Anti Monitor is a villain and his attack is to disrupt and make your life miserable. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw that he comes out early and you have a weak hand. Please, some help with this or I may be forced to stop playing this wonderful game.

Matt_Hyra
02-13-2013, 04:13 PM
You can put a Kick or Super-Villain into the Line-Up by way of a card effect. But the stacks of them are not in the Line-Up.
So, yes, Anti-Monitor can make a player put ANY card with cost 1 or greater from their hand into the Line-Up, Kicks and Super-Villains included.

The mention of Super-Villains, Kicks, and Weaknesses not being in the Line-Up is not meant to say that they can't end up there by way of a card effect. Some cards break the rules of the game and you can't spell out every single interaction that might play out in the rulebook.

ishd819
02-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Okay, so I guess I am wrong. Thanks for the reply, I know they'll be happy to hear this....and I can already see the kick stack being bought out, lol...Great game, can't wait for the "official" expansions....

LunarKnite
02-19-2013, 10:42 PM
I just wanted greater clarification on Deathstroke's First Appearance-Attack. The card effect seems pretty straightforward, but the additional clarification in the rulebook makes me rethink what Deathstroke really does, which is you must destroy a Hero, Super Power, or Equipment from your hand first, if you don't have one in your hand THEN you can choose from your discard pile.

Matt_Hyra
02-19-2013, 11:24 PM
Lunar,
You can choose one in your hand or discard pile, and you don't have to look to your hand first. The hand part was just listed first. The hand reveal is to make sure you aren't hiding a target for Deathstroke's wrath. But if you have a target in your discard pile, you can choose that instead.

LunarKnite
02-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Okay, thanks for the response!

dcgirl75
03-02-2013, 01:53 PM
I have a question about Swamp Thing. It says it's worth 5 power "If you control a Location." Let's say that I just bought a Location, so it's in my discard pile and not yet in play. Does the effect of the Swamp Thing card get triggered? In other words, does owning the Location mean you control it, or do you only control it once it's been played (and therefore sitting out for the duration of the game)?

Matt_Hyra
03-02-2013, 02:39 PM
It needs to be in play for you to control it. Just being in your discard pile isn't good enough.

B.Larkdighter
03-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Do cards you've played count as being "in your hand"? Penguin's card says you draw two cards and then discard two cards from your hand. I played with someone that played Penguin, drew two cards, and then one of the cards he discarded is Penguin. I didn't think you could do that since once you play a card, it's no longer in your hand.

Matt_Hyra
03-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Do cards you've played count as being "in your hand"? Penguin's card says you draw two cards and then discard two cards from your hand. I played with someone that played Penguin, drew two cards, and then one of the cards he discarded is Penguin. I didn't think you could do that since once you play a card, it's no longer in your hand.

You can only discard cards that you have not played.

LunarKnite
03-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Question about Cyborg's Superhero ability: is the draw from playing an equipment triggered immediately after the first equipment he plays? Because of the wording on his card, it's almost as if Cyborg can choose after which equipment he plays when to draw.

Matt_Hyra
03-07-2013, 01:44 AM
Immediately after the first.

IAmTheGreat
03-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Say a player plays Brainiac. If they choose a Bane from one players hand and a weakness from another players hand, if they use the bane can the player with the weakness discard it? Does it depend on the order the Brainiac player chooses to play the cards?

Matt_Hyra
03-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Say a player plays Brainiac. If they choose a Bane from one players hand and a weakness from another players hand, if they use the bane can the player with the weakness discard it? Does it depend on the order the Brainiac player chooses to play the cards?

Yes, he can discard the Weakness, but you get to play it anyway. The order in which they are played does not matter. The cards are revealed/predetermined before you play them in the order of your choosing.

IAmTheGreat
03-22-2013, 01:04 PM
So say instead of a weakness the brainiac player picks a kick. If the bane is played first and they discard the kick that was picked by brainiac, can they still play the kick despite it being in their discard?

Matt_Hyra
03-22-2013, 02:44 PM
So say instead of a weakness the brainiac player picks a kick. If the bane is played first and they discard the kick that was picked by brainiac, can they still play the kick despite it being in their discard?

Yes. All of the cards are revealed from opposing hands. Then the Brainiac player chooses the order in which he wants to play them. Each card has already been determined that it will be played, so it won't matter if the owner of the Kick discards it to Bane. The Brainiac player will still play it even though it is in the discard pile. And it will stay in the discard pile.

Crimsongrail
03-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Say I X-ray and I chose a player's Starro. Does the starro get discarded from the top of that player's deck and we start the cycle all over again?

Also, Do you have to play the card you get from X-Ray immediately or can I buy a bunch of kicks before I play another player's Man of Steel off the top of their deck?

Crimsongrail
03-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Also, If I have a Bulletproof and have no cards in deck, can I still destroy something before I draw a card?

Matt_Hyra
03-26-2013, 01:37 PM
The Starro is temporarily removed from the top of deck. That is why X-Ray says to put it back back on top. So Starro is not there to discard himself.

You have to resolve the X-Ray Vision immediately. The X-Ray card must fully resolve before you can move on to playing other cards. Naturally, X-Ray-ing a card like Starro will set up further cardplay during the X-Ray resolution, but that is still part of the X-Ray resolution.

Say I X-ray and I chose a player's Starro. Does the starro get discarded from the top of that player's deck and we start the cycle all over again?

Also, Do you have to play the card you get from X-Ray immediately or can I buy a bunch of kicks before I play another player's Man of Steel off the top of their deck?

aoineko
03-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Resolve text in order, so you draw a card and then destroy a card in your discard pile. If you have no cards in your deck you have to shuffle your discard pile to draw a card and will then have no cards to destroy.

Also, If I have a Bulletproof and have no cards in deck, can I still destroy something before I draw a card?

Blackbird_13
04-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Okay.. so on Atrocious... are the cards to be returned to the owners of the cards.. or the owner of Atrocious, after he's defeated?

Matt_Hyra
04-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Owners of the cards.

sirthomas
04-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Does the Cyborg superhero only trigger once for power and draw per turn or per equipment/power played? Does Brainiac played by a player return the cards to the players hands or discard pile?

Matt_Hyra
04-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Does the Cyborg superhero only trigger once for power and draw per turn or per equipment/power played? Does Brainiac played by a player return the cards to the players hands or discard pile?

Cyborg: Once for Power; Once for Draw. Not once for each and every.

Brainiac: Returns them to their hands.

gbryantlucas
04-15-2013, 05:59 PM
So... can you continually loop Robin and The Bat Signal and buy the board?

aoineko
04-15-2013, 07:30 PM
Cards you play don't go to your discard pile until the end of your turn. Robin grabs an Equipment from your discard pile and Bat-Signal grabs a Hero from your discard pile. They can't be used to play another card you have already played this turn.

sirthomas
04-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Martian Manhunter Superhero (the promo) does Martian Manhunter the hero playing the top card of super villain deck count as 1 hero and 1 villain for the superhero effect? If said villain is Parallax and the other requirements were met for the +3 +3 would parallax double the superhero bonus too?

Matt_Hyra
04-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Yes and yes.

swigmonkey
05-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Didn't see it, but want to make sure we are playing Aquaman correctly. As soon as you buy the card with cost less than 5 you place it on top of your deck, so if you have a card that allows you to draw it you can effectively draw it then correct?

That is how we have been playing it and its made for some interesting board plays so far on grabbing things such as a bat signal, suicide squads, etc.

aoineko
05-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Yup. The card goes on top immediately.

swigmonkey
05-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Cool thanks for the fast reply aoineko.

N-Finite
05-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Could we get an example of Joker's First Appearance attack and someone using a defense against it. I believe that it just defends from losing a card from your hand. Meanwhile a foe can still put a card in your discard pile. Or am I wrong?

Matt_Hyra
05-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Could we get an example of Joker's First Appearance attack and someone using a defense against it. I believe that it just defends from losing a card from your hand. Meanwhile a foe can still put a card in your discard pile. Or am I wrong?

Page 12 of the rulebook, in the Specific Card Clarifications, under The Joker, and next to The Joker's picture: :cool:
If a player avoids The Joker’s First
Appearance—Attack, that player does not pass or
receive a card. The card he would have received is
placed into the discard pile of the next player to the left.

lightsout
05-14-2013, 11:43 AM
Page 12 of the rulebook, in the Specific Card Clarifications, under The Joker, and next to The Joker's picture: :cool:
If a player avoids The Joker’s First
Appearance—Attack, that player does not pass or
receive a card. The card he would have received is
placed into the discard pile of the next player to the left.

(I'm now curious as well) So if it's just 1-on-1 does that mean the non-defending player "accepts" the card they themselves passed (since the other player cannot receive)?

Matt_Hyra
05-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Yes indeed.

Ironfist
05-14-2013, 10:46 PM
If you play a 2 player game and you have to put a card in your opponent's discard pile, but he plays a defense to block the attack,t hereby making you the only person to do so, does that basically negate the attack for you also as there is no discard pile to put it in?

Matt_Hyra
05-14-2013, 11:32 PM
If you play a 2 player game and you have to put a card in your opponent's discard pile, but he plays a defense to block the attack,t hereby making you the only person to do so, does that basically negate the attack for you also as there is no discard pile to put it in?

You just put it into your own discard pile.

Ironfist
05-19-2013, 07:26 PM
Black manta comes up, and i discard my hand to save my drawn card which is also discarded. The next villain (say atrocitus) says to take a random card from my hand and place it under my hero. Do I draw a new hand and do this, or do I do nothing because I have no hand.

aoineko
05-19-2013, 08:54 PM
If you have no cards in your hand when something tries to interact with your hand nothing happens. You do not get to draw a new hand.

lightsout
05-19-2013, 09:26 PM
Black manta comes up, and i discard my hand to save my drawn card which is also discarded. The next villain (say atrocitus) says to take a random card from my hand and place it under my hero. Do I draw a new hand and do this, or do I do nothing because I have no hand.
I am assuming you are the player who bought the villain before Manta? ("player A") and the other player (B) is the one who bought Manta to reveal Atrocitus? If so, then yet, at that time you would not have a hand to place under your hero. However if Player A bought the first villain but Player B exercised the discard option for Manta, then if player A buys manta the next turn both players will have a hand by the time Atrocitus is flipped over.

Ironfist
05-19-2013, 10:48 PM
I am assuming you are the player who bought the villain before Manta? ("player A") and the other player (B) is the one who bought Manta to reveal Atrocitus? If so, then yet, at that time you would not have a hand to place under your hero. However if Player A bought the first villain but Player B exercised the discard option for Manta, then if player A buys manta the next turn both players will have a hand by the time Atrocitus is flipped over.

Player A buys villain and black manta comes up. Player B discards punch he flipped. Player C flips Ra's and discards his hand. Player B buys Black Manta and flips Atrocitus. Player C has no hand, thereby we ruled did nothing.

lightsout
05-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Player A buys villain and black manta comes up. Player B discards punch he flipped. Player C flips Ra's and discards his hand. Player B buys Black Manta and flips Atrocitus. Player C has no hand, thereby we ruled did nothing.

Yea, that sounds right (I completely didn't think of a 3+ player situation though, haha)

burntrubber120
05-23-2013, 09:47 AM
I can't remember the card name, but the text reads, "Gain any card under power of 4". Now does that mean you draw all cards or just one card.

lightsout
05-23-2013, 09:55 AM
I can't remember the card name, but the text reads, "Draw any card under power of 4". Now does that mean you draw all cards or just one card.

If you're thinking of Cheetah - she lets you gain 1 card cost 4 or less from the Line Up

burntrubber120
05-23-2013, 10:00 AM
If you're thinking of Cheetah - she lets you gain 1 card cost 4 or less from the Line Up
Okay that is what I assumed as well. Why didn't they just print Gain 'a' card instead of 'any'? Because I just now thought of it like this you can gain one to all, so if there are 3 but you only wanted 2. The card is technically printed to allow that.

lightsout
05-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Okay that is what I assumed as well. Why didn't they just print Gain 'a' card instead of 'any'? Because I just now thought of it like this you can gain one to all, so if there are 3 but you only wanted 2. The card is technically printed to allow that.

I'm no language-expert but that is curious why they didn't say "a". With the "Princess Dianna of Themyscira" card, it says "Gain all Villains.." (ie: specific) so I would say Cheetah's is vague but doesn't necessarily allow for "all cards" under cost-4. My gut would just be that if you could pick all, it would say all (because I can't think of a situation you would only want 2 of 3 cards (or w/e)...more VP for you).

boba_fouts
05-23-2013, 11:33 AM
I can't remember the card name, but the text reads, "Gain any card under power of 4". Now does that mean you draw all cards or just one card.

I boldfaced the important word here...it is singular in nature, which means only 1.

burntrubber120
05-24-2013, 12:51 PM
When counting points using Utility Belt. Text reads if you have four or more 'other' Equipment in your deck. Does one need to have 4 different equipments. For example you can't have 3 + 2(utility belts). Same with Green Arrow.

Matt_Hyra
05-24-2013, 02:03 PM
When counting points using Utility Belt. Text reads if you have four or more 'other' Equipment in your deck. Does one need to have 4 different equipments. For example you can't have 3 + 2(utility belts). Same with Green Arrow.

"Other" just means "other than this." You still get to count duplicate Equipment. In fact, if you have 2 U-Belts, they will each count the other.

kmonarq7
05-28-2013, 10:31 AM
When playing the Batmobile first in your turn, therefore drawing a new hand....

1) Does it count toward bonuses such as The BatCave or Cyborg's extra drawn card?
2) Does that card also get tosses with your discarded hand?
3) Does it count toward later-played cards such as High Tech Hero?
4) If its played first, do you HAVE to discard, or can you ignore and take the +1?

Thanks,

KMQ7

Matt_Hyra
05-28-2013, 12:17 PM
1) Yes
2) No, it was played, so it is not discarded until end of turn.
3) Yes
4) You have to. If you don't want to, don't play it first.

kmonarq7
05-30-2013, 10:33 AM
We also had this situation come up last night.

I am playing as Aquaman, but Aquaman has been turned down thanks to Captain Cold.

During my turn, I play a bunch of points, and take Captain Cold, and a second card ("The Cape and Cowl", cost of 4) from the lineup. As part of my points, I played "Aquaman's Trident". So, my question is: Can I put both cards atop my deck, since Capt. Cold is now dead and Aquaman's power is back?

My girlfriend, also my opponent in this, insists that, its after the turn is over when the super hero comes back.

So, the question is more of "When does a superhero get flipped back into play? Can I buy Captain Cold, get Aquaman back, and then use his power when I am continuing to buy, or is it after my turn is over? If its the prior, can I spend points to beat Captain Cold, activate the power on Martian Manhunter, and then get the +3 bonuses for multiples heroes/villains?

Thanks!

KMQ7

houjix
05-30-2013, 11:01 AM
As soon as Captain Cold is defeated, heroes turn back over. You turn is not over at that point. You may continue to buy cards and have your hero's power be in effect for those buys. This is similar to the situation involving WW and Captain Cold.

kmonarq7
05-30-2013, 12:14 PM
So, in the same turn, I could realistically buy a card and play it through other card means, correct?

Something like: Buy Man of Steel (to discard pile), Play Bat signal?

Matt_Hyra
05-30-2013, 04:15 PM
So, in the same turn, I could realistically buy a card and play it through other card means, correct?

Something like: Buy Man of Steel (to discard pile), Play Bat signal?

Yes, you can do that.

dwang85
06-10-2013, 01:17 PM
2 questions:

1) If I purchase Solomon Grundy (and say I have enough power to purchase another card), does he go to the top of my deck immediately or at the end of my turn?

2) If there are 7 cards in the lineup (i.e. from Anti Monitor's attack) and let's say I Jon Jonzz the boss that replaces cards in the line-up (is it Anti Monitor as well?), do I get to flop 7 cards in the line up or just 5? I ask because the specific boss card that I'm referring to says "replace" the cards in the lineup so I assume each of the 7 cards needs to be replaced.

boba_fouts
06-10-2013, 03:08 PM
2 questions:

1) If I purchase Solomon Grundy (and say I have enough power to purchase another card), does he go to the top of my deck immediately or at the end of my turn?

2) If there are 7 cards in the lineup (i.e. from Anti Monitor's attack) and let's say I Jon Jonzz the boss that replaces cards in the line-up (is it Anti Monitor as well?), do I get to flop 7 cards in the line up or just 5? I ask because the specific boss card that I'm referring to says "replace" the cards in the lineup so I assume each of the 7 cards needs to be replaced.

1 - Immediately

2 - In your example, I'd say you flip 7. You are replacing existing cards, not filling the line-up due to acquisitions.

Matt_Hyra
06-10-2013, 04:01 PM
1. Immediately

2. You will replace all 7.

Mr11
06-26-2013, 07:00 AM
When a card has multiple actions to be performed as part of resolving it, in what order do they happen? Do you do them in order as they are printed or does the player get to choose? I ask specifically for a scenario where a player has an empty deck and plays Bulletproof as a defense, do they have to draw before they destroy a card because that is the order of the text on the card or do they get to choose to destroy before drawing? Since they will have to reshuffle if they draw first it makes a big difference.

boba_fouts
06-26-2013, 08:46 AM
When a card has multiple actions to be performed as part of resolving it, in what order do they happen? Do you do them in order as they are printed or does the player get to choose? I ask specifically for a scenario where a player has an empty deck and plays Bulletproof as a defense, do they have to draw before they destroy a card because that is the order of the text on the card or do they get to choose to destroy before drawing? Since they will have to reshuffle if they draw first it makes a big difference.

The bold part is correct.

Druidguy
07-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Card ruling questions:

1. When you play X-ray vision as the first card in your hand, and the opponent uncovers a clayface, does the X-ray visioning of a clayface become an illegal move because you haven't played any other cards in your hand yet (for it to resolve) or does it mean you can clayface any other card during the rest of your turn?

2. You are Martian manhunter and the supervillian out is parallax. You have jon jonz and a clayface to play. Since Martian manhunter bonus comes into effect before the parallax effect, does this mean the following:

At least two villains played (clayface, parallax, parallax) - 3 power
At least two heroes played (jonn jonzz, jonn jonzz) -3 power
Parallax effect twice = 4x6 = 24 power hand with two cards?

Makes sense to me, just clarifying

Thanks!

clay66
07-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Hi everyone Love the new DC Deck Building Game! I just had a quick rules question. After you defeat a Super-Villan and you still have more power left over can you still buy cards from the line-up or are you limited to using your excess power to purchase Kicks from The Stack? Thought I remembered reading a sentence in the rulebook that implied when using power to purchase/defeat cards you either had to do this from The line-up or from The Stack, meaning you couldn't do it from both. Just curious due to the fact that during recent plays, sometimes players have gotten 15 or 19 power late in the game and after defeating said Supre-Villian wanted to know if they could still purchase cards from the line-up? Wasn't sure what to tell them. Thanks!

Matt_Hyra
07-01-2013, 05:23 PM
You are free to buy additional cards from the Line-Up.

dwang85
07-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Card ruling questions:

1. When you play X-ray vision as the first card in your hand, and the opponent uncovers a clayface, does the X-ray visioning of a clayface become an illegal move because you haven't played any other cards in your hand yet (for it to resolve) or does it mean you can clayface any other card during the rest of your turn?

2. You are Martian manhunter and the supervillian out is parallax. You have jon jonz and a clayface to play. Since Martian manhunter bonus comes into effect before the parallax effect, does this mean the following:

Thanks!
Great questions druidguy. Hopefully you are able to shed some light on this Matt_Hyra as my friends and I have encountered the exact same issues.

Matt_Hyra
07-02-2013, 09:52 AM
1. You must play a card you have played this turn. The only option is X-Ray Vision. Note that the Clayface is removed from the top of deck when played, so the 2nd X-Ray will get the next card down.

2. 24 Power is correct.

Card ruling questions:

Thanks!

clay66
07-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Hi, been having a great time testing out different hero combinations and teaching game to new players. Love ease of game mechanics! During a recent playing of game a question came up after Black Manta was revealed in the Super-Villan stack. His first appearance attack states; each player discards the top card of his deck. If you discarded a card with cost one or more, chose one ;destroy it or discard your hand. The debate we had concerning his attack was if you chose to not destroy your discarded card and instead discarded your hand do you get to draw a new hand of 5 cards right away? In my opinion after referring to the rulebook which states that you only refill your hand at the end of your turn I would say no, due to the fact that Manta's attack does not happen at the end off any Players one turn. Meaning that if you discard your hand, when your turn comes around, you can only draw your new hand, end your turn and pass play to the next player. Since I wasn't sure I let people who chose to discard their hand draw a new hand, but was that the correct thing to do? My gut says no, but wanted to get an official clarification on issue. Thanks a bunch!

houjix
07-03-2013, 01:26 PM
You would basically miss a turn if you choose to discard. The attack technically happens after the player who defeated the last Super Villain turn ends and as next player's turn begins.

clay66
07-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Thanks a bunch, that's what I thought too.

Matt_Hyra
07-03-2013, 04:19 PM
You should trust your gut. You don't get a new hand until the end of your own turn. Getting to instantly redraw a new hand is no punishment at all!

totimd
07-04-2013, 08:39 PM
very good game
I'm playing in Lima-Peru
my questions are:
1) if I have on my to Blue Beetle, says (it stays in your hand)
** 1.1 in the whole game?
** 1.2 if i have blue beetle in my hand is not moving out of my hand anymore? in my new hand i need to put 4 or 5 cards (i have blue beetle in my hand nao)????

2) if in my hand I have harley quinn --------punch or vulnerability??
I understood: if 1 v 1 I put a vulnerability
if 2 v 2, i give my time to puch and i give to my enemies vulnerability?

Matt_Hyra
07-04-2013, 11:37 PM
1. It only gets discarded at the end of your own turn. And it must be discarded at the end of your own turn. It just doesn't get discarded like other Defenses when used to avoid an Attack.

2. When you play Harley Quinn, you do not get to give your opponent(s) a Punch or Vulnerability from your discard pile. It comes only from their own discard pile. In 2v2, each opponent puts one of their own P or V from their discard pile onto the top of their deck.

IAmTheGreat
07-05-2013, 07:04 PM
You would not draw a new hand

dwang85
07-08-2013, 11:42 AM
A few other clarifications needed.

1) My friends and I came across a unique situation this weekend. I was Flash and played the villain Joker. I killed a lot of my punches/vulns and had a ridiculously thin deck with a lot of draw cards. By the time I played the Joker, I actually had no more cards in my draw/discard pile. I essentially had my entire deck of cards in my hand. Since I had no cards to draw, does that force the opponent to discard a random card or can they elect to have me draw a card (despite me not having a draw pile)?

2) My friend plays x-ray vision and uses my Emerald Knight. He uses Emerald Knight to use super speed in the line-up. He then clayfaces his x-ray vision. At that point, does he get to use my Emerald Knight again or does he use the card underneath my Emerald Knight.

3) With heroes such as Cyborg and Flash that let you draw cards, do you have to draw a card immediately or can you choose to decide when you draw the card? For example, if I'm cyborg and play an equipment, do I have to draw immediately or can I draw later on but still during my turn. Had a situation come up where someone was cyborg, played their cards (one of which was an aquaman's trident), purchased man of steel and put it on top of their deck, then used the extra draw for playing an equipment to draw man of steel. Is that move allowed?

4) If you play high-tech hero and at the time you played it, you did not play a super power or equipment, but at some point later on during your turn you end up playing the super power or equipment, do you get the +3 bonus or just +1 still (since technically there were no super powers or equipment played at the time high tech hero was played). Same question with Mera, if your discard pile was not empty at the time of playing it, but at some point later on during your turn, it's empty, do you get the +4 bonus?

boba_fouts
07-08-2013, 11:54 AM
1 - They can make you draw.

2 - He'll get to Play The Emerald Knight again.

3 - You perform all the actions of the card you played, then you get the abilities that trigger from playing that card, prior to playing you next card.

4 - In your examples, you'll get the bonus from High Tech Hero, because it reads "you play or have played". You won't get the bonus with Mera, because your graveyard has to be empty when you played her. Her ability doesn't check for an empty graveyard later in the turn.

kmonarq7
07-09-2013, 06:43 AM
No lie...my girlfriend and I have put a pen and paper in our DC box so we can write down situational questions that come up during game play. At least once or twice per play sitting we come up with a scenario/conundrum to post up on the site.

Yep...we're hooked. Too bad there isn't an online/iOS version that us forum hounds could play with each other.

Cirdan
07-12-2013, 11:55 AM
If one player plays Brainiac and another player reveals Ra's Al Ghul, does Ra's Al Ghul get returned to it's owners hand or the bottom of their deck?

Druidguy
07-14-2013, 08:07 AM
Pretty sure ras goes back into that persons hand

Matt_Hyra
07-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Ra's will go back to his owner's (the person who first bought him) hand. When you play a card from another player's hand/deck/etc, it goes back to where it came from.

TYMONGER
07-16-2013, 04:13 PM
I would like to clarify a rule on Cheetah card is says " Gain any card with cost 4 or less from the Line-Up." I think it means any ONE card the cost 4 or less in the line up. Where my friend things it means ALL the cards in the line up the cost. Please clarify.

Matt_Hyra
07-16-2013, 04:52 PM
"Any card" means any one card.
If we wanted you to have them all, it would be written as: "Gain all cards in the Line-Up with cost 4 or less."
Look at Princess Diana (7) for an example of the "gain all" style.

dwang85
07-18-2013, 12:20 PM
I have a question regarding Aquaman and his abilities when a location is involved.

Lets say I'm Aquaman and I have the Batcave location. If I play a kick (2 power) and then Green Arrow's Bow (2 power) to purchase a Swamp Thing, can I have place that card on top of my deck and then draw it for the Batcave location? Or do I have to draw a card first (then put Swamp thing on top) noting that the location says draw a card after you play your first equipment? It's confusing in the sense that if you play the equipment, you should draw a card but Aquaman's powers state you can place the card on top of your deck at any time during your turn.

Matt_Hyra
07-18-2013, 12:51 PM
You can't make a purchase until after all triggered effects have finished resolving. So you play the Equipment, get 2 Power, then the Batcave triggers and you draw. Only now can you buy Swamp Thing.

Aquaman's wording isn't really saying you can do it "anytime." It is just replacing the "go to discard pile instead" with "go to top of deck." Since the "go to discard" is an immediate effect when you buy or gain a card, so too is the replacement effect of "go to top of deck instead."

Druidguy
07-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Hi Matt, just reading into your last comment about cards going to the discard pile after they are bought or gained. Does this mean that if you buy man of steel, he goes to your discard pile immediately, and if you stil have an unused bat signal in your hand, that you can immediately call man of steel to play in the same hand?

Same idea as if you gain an equipment, you can call it back with robin in the same hand?

And now were talking about with any character if going to discard is a universal rule

Thanks!

Matt_Hyra
07-18-2013, 03:38 PM
Yes, you can do all of that fun stuff. The rules do say that you immediately put it into your discard pile when bought or gained.

tpuefol
07-19-2013, 12:27 PM
1. You must play a card you have played this turn. The only option is X-Ray Vision. Note that the Clayface is removed from the top of deck when played, so the 2nd X-Ray will get the next card down.

2. 24 Power is correct.

Hi,

I don't really understand this. Can someone please explain it to me?

You'd play Jonn Jonzz and play Parallax which doubles your power (zero, which makes zero).
Then you'd play Clayface to copy Jonn Jonzz. When does Martian Manhunter trigger here? I can see how it is 12 power but not 24.

Do all existing instances of Parallax stay active for the turn or something?

IAmTheGreat
07-19-2013, 09:24 PM
Parallax doubles all current power or any power made during that turn. So Martian Manhunter will get the +3 from both 2 Villains and 2 Heroes, for 6. Then that number will be doubled twice.

Matt_Hyra
07-20-2013, 01:57 AM
Do all existing instances of Parallax stay active for the turn or something?

Yes, they do.

Ironfist
07-24-2013, 01:50 PM
If i buy Captain cold and put him into my discard pile, do my heroes immediately flip over? For instance I next buy riddler and penguin on my turn after i buy captain cold, would I draw 7 cards if using wonder woman, or just 5?

Matt_Hyra
07-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Flip your Super Heroes up immediately.
You would draw 7. You just don't get credit for defeating Captain Cold this turn.

atheist4thecause
08-09-2013, 03:26 AM
When playing teams, can a player defend against Scarecrow with a card such as Super Speed, draw 2 cards, and then defend for his teammate with 1 of the cards that was drawn off of the first defense?

Also, when a player attacks with Scarecrow, can he attack 1 player and not another, or does he have to attack either all players or none?

Matt_Hyra
08-09-2013, 06:13 AM
Technically, all Attacks resolve in clockwise order from the Attacker. So there is time to draw a Defense in between Attack resolutions. Your scenario works.

Attacks hit all foes. You can't pick and choose your targets.

blackroseyagami
08-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Technically, all Attacks resolve in clockwise order from the Attacker. So there is time to draw a Defense in between Attack resolutions. Your scenario works.

ah this is news for me... this changes team play a lot now

N-Finite
08-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Am I right in saying that Green Arrow's Bow does not work in the line-up if there is a Super-Villain in it.

Anti-Monitor appears. My opponent's hand consists of 3x Punch, a Vulnerability and Ra's Al Ghul. Ra's Al Ghul goes into the line-up. I take my turn. I have +6 power, with one of my cards being Green Arrow's Bow. Ra's Al Ghul is not an option because he has already been defeated and I would have to gain him normally, correct?

Matt_Hyra
08-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Am I right in saying that Green Arrow's Bow does not work in the line-up if there is a Super-Villain in it.

Anti-Monitor appears. My opponent's hand consists of 3x Punch, a Vulnerability and Ra's Al Ghul. Ra's Al Ghul goes into the line-up. I take my turn. I have +6 power, with one of my cards being Green Arrow's Bow. Ra's Al Ghul is not an option because he has already been defeated and I would have to gain him normally, correct?

It also works against Super-Villains in the Line-Up. The FAQ entry was written more as a flavor piece, so we can avoid "buying" Super-Villains. You defeat a S-V whenever you "buy" one. It doesn't have to be on the S-V stack to "defeat" one. We didn't want to mention that S-V's can end up in the Line-Up in the rulebook, as it is more fun if it's a surprise the first time Anti-Monitor appears.

N-Finite
08-13-2013, 09:32 AM
Is there a ruling for cards like Brainiac where you get to play a random card from each players hand when there are 3 or more players? Do you start from your left and go around? Do get all the cards, then play them in any order you choose or play them as you choose a card from each players hand?

Matt_Hyra
08-13-2013, 07:12 PM
You play them in the order of your own choosing, just like any card from your hand.

N-Finite
08-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Thanks again for the help!

IAmTheGreat
08-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Are there specific rules on order of defending in a multiplayer game? Someone plays Scarecrow, does the player on the left declare if they are defending or not before the others? Do they have to show with what they are defending before the others? Does it work clockwise from the turn player? Same applies to between turn attacks from SVs

houjix
08-14-2013, 02:05 PM
It goes clockwise starting with the player who played the ability.

IAmTheGreat
08-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Do they have to do the full defense procedure or simply declare if they are defending

atheist4thecause
08-18-2013, 12:45 AM
They have to do the full defense procedure. That's why when you play teams you can actually defend your teammate with a card you drew off of a defense card you played on yourself.

I have a question as well: What if there are Super Villains in the Line-Up for whatever reason, lets say Black Manta is in there, and someone plays a Green Arrow's Bow along with a Princess Diana of Themyscira. Does that mean that player gets Black Manta with Diana because Black Manta technically only costs 6 that turn (which is less than Diana's 7 restriction)?

Matt_Hyra
08-18-2013, 05:19 AM
No, the bow only allows you to buy Super Villains at a discount. It doesn't actually reduce their printed cost.

BatgirlNo.6
08-19-2013, 08:27 PM
This may have been covered already, but here goes. What happens when you play a card that generates a card draw, but also interacts with the top card of your deck? For example, with Cyborg as my hero, I play Nth Metal. I'm entitled to a card draw, but I also have the option of destroying the card on top of my deck. If I opt to destroy the card, have I nullified my draw, or do I get to draw the next card?

atheist4thecause
08-19-2013, 10:53 PM
My understanding from previous answers, and people can correct me if I'm wrong, is that you always do what the card says first. So in the case of Nth Metal with Cyborg, you do the Nth Metal's ability first, and if you choose not to destroy then that's the card you draw from Cyborg, but if you choose to destroy it then you draw the next card on your library.

boba_fouts
08-20-2013, 07:08 AM
My understanding from previous answers, and people can correct me if I'm wrong, is that you always do what the card says first. So in the case of Nth Metal with Cyborg, you do the Nth Metal's ability first, and if you choose not to destroy then that's the card you draw from Cyborg, but if you choose to destroy it then you draw the next card on your library.

You are correct with this example.

boba_fouts
08-20-2013, 07:14 AM
This may have been covered already, but here goes. What happens when you play a card that generates a card draw, but also interacts with the top card of your deck? For example, with Cyborg as my hero, I play Nth Metal. I'm entitled to a card draw, but I also have the option of destroying the card on top of my deck. If I opt to destroy the card, have I nullified my draw, or do I get to draw the next card?

When you play a card, you resolve that card 1st, in the order it is printed. Then you may resolve any abilities from other cards that may trigger from playing the previously noted card.

Example - I play Nth Metal, get +1 Power, look at the top card of my deck & choose to destroy or not. Once I've done all that, then I can draw cards from Cyborg's ability/The Batcave/Titans Tower/whatever.

BatgirlNo.6
08-20-2013, 06:58 PM
Thanks! Appreciate the quick responses.

LexLuthorJr
08-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Questions about the new SuperHeroes.

We did some play-testing at home with the text of the Heroes United Heroes, and we have some questions...

Shazam reads: "You may pay 4 power. If you do, gain the first card of the main deck. You may put it on top of your deck or the discard pile."

Can this power be used more than once per turn?

Red Tornado reads: "Once during each of your turns, if there are four or more different card types in your discard pile, +2 Power."

Are Starter cards a power type? Weaknesses? Are Villains-SuperVillains a different type than Villains?

Starfire reads: "Once during each of your turns, if there are no super powers in the line-up, draw a card."

Does this trigger at the start of your turn, or can you trigger it any time? For example, if the only Super Power in the line-up is X-Ray Vision, can I buy it and then say "Oh, there are no Super Powers in the line-up. I draw a card."?

Matt_Hyra
08-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Shaman: Yes, more than once per turn. This is mentioned in the new rule book.

Red Tornado: Starter is a card type. Weakness have no card type. Super-Villains are just Villains.

Starfire (promo): You can trigger it at any time. Your scenario works just fine.

LexLuthorJr
08-26-2013, 12:32 AM
Thanks for clearing that up!

Mr11
08-26-2013, 01:05 PM
I posed this on another thread but it was suggested that I move it here (rightfully so):

I just want to clarify because this has come up a number of times in our group:
1. Aquaman's Trident says:
+2 Power
You may put any one card you buy or gain this turn on top of your deck.

The words "buy" and "gain" are future tense so we say that this card has to be played before you buy any cards that would be affected by it.

2. Dark Knight says:
+2 Power
Gain all Equipment in the Line-Up. Then, if you play or have played Catwoman this turn, you may put a card you bought or gained this turn into your hand.

The words "bought" and "gained" are past tense so we have always played it so that any card you want to put into your hand has to have been bought/gained BEFORE you play the second requirement for the Dark Knight/Catwoman combo.

Are these correct? It has come up many times because people want to use the power from Catwoman/Dark Knight to purchase the card to put into their hand but we have never allowed it.

Matt_Hyra
08-26-2013, 04:34 PM
I posed this on another thread but it was suggested that I move it here (rightfully so):

I just want to clarify because this has come up a number of times in our group:
1. Aquaman's Trident says:
+2 Power
You may put any one card you buy or gain this turn on top of your deck.

The words "buy" and "gain" are future tense so we say that this card has to be played before you buy any cards that would be affected by it.

2. Dark Knight says:
+2 Power
Gain all Equipment in the Line-Up. Then, if you play or have played Catwoman this turn, you may put a card you bought or gained this turn into your hand.

The words "bought" and "gained" are past tense so we have always played it so that any card you want to put into your hand has to have been bought/gained BEFORE you play the second requirement for the Dark Knight/Catwoman combo.

Are these correct? It has come up many times because people want to use the power from Catwoman/Dark Knight to purchase the card to put into their hand but we have never allowed it.

1. Yes, the Trident effect must be in play before you can put a (future) card you buy or gain on top of your deck.

2. You won't be able to use Dark Knight's +2 Power on a card you want to put into your hand via Catwoman. Feel free to play Catwoman before DK, so you get her Power before DK's effect.

Tacjunkie
09-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Is Greens Arrow's ability to reduce the Super Villain cost by 2 stackable?

Matt_Hyra
09-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Is Greens Arrow's ability to reduce the Super Villain cost by 2 stackable?

Yes, his Bow is stackable.

atheist4thecause
09-02-2013, 03:05 PM
I don't understand why one ruling is the way it is, so I was hoping for some clarification:
"Q: I play out 12 power to defeat Parallax and i used aquaman's trident to put him to the top, then i used Kid Flash to draw him and play him afterwards do I get 12 Power Again?
A: Parallax does not double any of the power you have spent already. ( Source )"

Parallax doubles all the power you gain this turn. If I play a Kick, and then I play a Parallax, I end up with 4 Power, right? And then on top of that all the power I produce after that gives me double as well. So how come if I play a Kick, buy a Cheetah, and then buy a Parallax, that 2 power spent on Cheetah doesn't double? It seems like an inconsistent rule application. I mean, even if I spend the power I gained before Parallax, it was still power I gained this turn so IMO it should still be doubled. Anyways, I'd love to hear a clarification on why this rule gets applied this way.

Matt_Hyra
09-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Main reason is that it's too much bookkeeping.

kmonarq7
09-03-2013, 11:36 AM
If its "All Power Generated" this turn, then I would agree with Athiest. Doesnt seem like you can have it both ways.

What is the actual text on the card, anyway?

Matt_Hyra
09-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Parallax game text is: "Double your Power this turn."

If you have spent some Power, you don't have that Power to double anymore.

blackroseyagami
09-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Parallax game text is: "Double your Power this turn."

If you have spent some Power, you don't have that Power to double anymore.

The beauties of grammar :D

atheist4thecause
09-03-2013, 11:53 PM
The beauties of grammar :D

Grammar actually doesn't clear up the rule at all. If it's for bookkeeping purposes then I understand.

basebalbuf
09-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Need a quick clarification on the superhero Superman. it says each different super power gets plus 1, if i play multiple kicks, does each kick get the plus 1 or just the first one i play.

Matt_Hyra
09-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Just the first one you play.

basebalbuf
09-06-2013, 02:59 PM
thanks for the quick reply. another question just came up. If a player has more power than what shows in the line-up and the super villian, can they flip over more cards into the line up and buy those additional cards or does the line-up not get filled up until the end of the turn and the player loses the extra power.

houjix
09-07-2013, 10:44 AM
thanks for the quick reply. another question just came up. If a player has more power than what shows in the line-up and the super villian, can they flip over more cards into the line up and buy those additional cards or does the line-up not get filled up until the end of the turn and the player loses the extra power.

The line-up does not refill untill your turn is over. You can try the On-patrol variant listed in the rule book. You may refill the line-up as soon as you buy a card, but you run the risk of suffering villain attacks.

IAmTheGreat
09-07-2013, 09:07 PM
It makes sense. Its power youve already spent, so you dont have it to allow Parallax to double. Where as you can consider the other power you have 'floating' power that he is still able to double.

Matt_Hyra
09-08-2013, 10:16 PM

It does not refill. But you can buy several Kicks if you wish.

atheist4thecause
09-10-2013, 11:49 AM
It makes sense. Its power youve already spent, so you dont have it to allow Parallax to double. Where as you can consider the other power you have 'floating' power that he is still able to double.

My issue with this ruling is then why does it double future power you generate? It's inconsistent. But I understand the bookkeeping aspect of it.

shen
09-17-2013, 10:24 PM
Hi I have a few questions:

1.) Can you explain how Super Hero abilities work if Captain Cold is defeated in the middle of your turn? For example, say Batman was flipped down and I defeat Captain Cold, so he is immediately flipped up. Prior to defeating him, however, I played some equipment cards. Do I get power for those cards or does Batman's power not work past tense? What about Cyborg's equipment draw, could he still draw a card after defeating Captain Cold even if he played an equipment while he was flipped?

2.) If you avoid an attack with Bulletproof, in what order do you draw and destroy cards? Do you choose?

3.) If I have no cards in my hand for Joker's first appearance attack, do I still receive a card in my discard pile even if I can't pass a card? Also, in a 1-on-1 game, if my opponent defends do I simply discard a card or do I keep it in my hand?

4.) When using two super heroes, does Cyborg's equipment draw trigger Flash's draw?

Thanks!

Matt_Hyra
09-17-2013, 11:45 PM
1. Does not work past tense. The specific card clarifications section of the rulebook mentions this with regards to the Wonder Woman Super Hero, and that also applies here.

2. You resolve them in the order as listed on the card.

3. You still get a card, even if you didn't pass one, unless you avoided the Attack. In a 1v1, you discard it into your own discard pile.

4. No, as Flash says the first time "a card" tells you to draw... The Super Heroes are not cards. They are Super Heroes. In the Heroes Unite rulebook we do not refer to Super Heroes as "cards" anymore to make that distinction.

LexLuthorJr
09-29-2013, 01:41 AM
Let's say I'm playing as Starfire and there is only one Superpower in the Line-Up: Super Strength. If I play Emerald Knight and choose Super Strength, removing it from the Line-Up, can I then use Starfire's power to draw a card?

houjix
09-29-2013, 09:46 AM
Let's say I'm playing as Starfire and there is only one Superpower in the Line-Up: Super Strength. If I play Emerald Knight and choose Super Strength, removing it from the Line-Up, can I then use Starfire's power to draw a card?
Sounds legit. You have to remove it from the line-up according to Emerald Knight's ability and it doesn't return until the end of turn. I would say it is effectively gone from the line-up for Starfire's ability.

Matt_Hyra
09-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Sounds legit. You have to remove it from the line-up according to Emerald Knight's ability and it doesn't return until the end of turn. I would say it is effectively gone from the line-up for Starfire's ability.

Correct.

bclemins
09-30-2013, 12:43 PM
Hello Cryptozoic,

As a former Magic: The Gathering fan (I played a lot in the 90s) I was instantly hooked by your DCDB game when a friend brought it by a couple weeks ago. We've now played several times, I now own my own copy of the game, and we can't wait for the HU expansion. Fantastic and fun game, thank you!

I do have some questions, please:
1) Do you have to play all cards in your hand? For example, if your last card is Penguin, but you don't want to draw two/discard two, can you skip playing him and just discard him at the end of your turn with all the other played cards? Is it possible to keep him in your hand until next round (only drawing 4 at the end of the current turn)?

2) Ra's al Ghul's ability says "At the end of your turn, put this card on the bottom of its owner's deck before drawing a new hand". Does this trigger when you first buy him? Or does he go to the Discard pile after initial purchase and his ability only triggers the first time he's played? Does his ability function at any other time, say if he's otherwise discarded or destroyed?

3) If Clayface copies Ra's al Ghul does he get to use the deck-bottoming bit too, and follow Ra's to the bottom of the deck, or is he only copying the +3 power? And *IF* he's only copying the +3 Power part, can a little detail behind that thought be explained further on why he doesn't get to copy all of Ra's card?

Thanks in advance!

Matt_Hyra
09-30-2013, 01:33 PM
1. No you do not. On the back of rulebook (and inside), it reads: Place all the cards you played and any remaining cards from your hand into your discard pile, and draw a new hand of five cards. You can't choose to hold onto a card until your next turn.

2. No. Abilities only trigger when you play them, unless it specifically says otherwise (Solomon Grundy).

3. Keep in mind that mechanically speaking, Clayface is not copying anything. He simply allows you to re-play a card you already played. Playing Ra's again gives you an additional +3 Power.

bclemins
09-30-2013, 02:32 PM
Thanks Matt_Hyra! I'm quite happy to hear that playing cards in your hand are optional.

I'm still a little confused about the Ra's/Clayface interaction... Would it be correct to look at it like this?

When Ra's is played he only gives +3 Power, his secondary feature doesn't kick in until the "discard phase", so when Clayface is played during the "play phase", the only part of Ra's abilities that Clayface can replay is the +3 Power that's currently on the stack.

Again, thanks!

Matt_Hyra
09-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Don't think of Clayface as another copy of Ra's. Here is the sequence:
1. Play Ra's... +3 Power, sets up end of turn trigger.
2. Play Clayface... choose Ra's.
3. Play Ra's again... additional +3 Power, sets up redundant end of turn trigger.
4. +6 Power total so far. Clayface is sitting in play doing nothing.

bclemins
10-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the answer Matt, I get it now.

I have one more question/situation that came up during play last night...

* Brainiac was flipped over on the SV stack, and his First Appearance attack reads: "Each Player chooses two cards at random from his hand and places them face down. Shuffle cards and deal two cards to each player."

It was only a two player game and I defended. We decided that meant neither of us had to choose/shuffle/deal any cards. Was that correct? Or if not, how should it be handled?

houjix
10-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the answer Matt, I get it now.

I have one more question/situation that came up during play last night...

* Brainiac was flipped over on the SV stack, and his First Appearance attack reads: "Each Player chooses two cards at random from his hand and places them face down. Shuffle cards and deal two cards to each player."

It was only a two player game and I defended. We decided that meant neither of us had to choose/shuffle/deal any cards. Was that correct? Or if not, how should it be handled?

In the back of the rules it says each player receives back as many cards as they contributed on the off chance some one has a one card hand when Brainiac hit. So if one player gave two and the other none, the player who gave two would get two back and the other would get none. In a two player game, you don't have to go through the motions of putting 2 cards on the table, shuffling them and giving them right back if the other player defended.

Also the two cards you contribute are not chosen at chosen at random from your hand.

jumpygunz
12-04-2013, 03:47 AM
If I am Cyborg and I play an equipment card. Do I have to draw? Or say I have The Watch Tower and play a hero. Can I choose not to draw a card?

houjix
12-04-2013, 08:30 AM
If I am Cyborg and I play an equipment card. Do I have to draw? Or say I have The Watch Tower and play a hero. Can I choose not to draw a card?

Only effect that say "may" are optional. If it does not say "may" you have to do it.

beank
12-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Why are Locations triggered after the resolution of the card that triggered them?

aoineko
12-07-2013, 12:24 PM
All abilities that trigger off of a card being played resolve after the card resolves. This is not only true for Locations. It is also true for Super-Hero abilities.

beank
12-07-2013, 01:42 PM
I understand that it does....

I just dont know WHY it does....

Shouldn't they (the locations) be treated as a "cast" trigger that resolves upon a card that meets the requirements being played?

AaronH
12-07-2013, 02:14 PM
A card has to have its effect resolved in order for it to be considered "played." A card can't be played if you haven't actually used it.

beank
12-07-2013, 02:19 PM
then i guess the better question is: Does this game make use of a "stack" like MTG?

IAmTheGreat
12-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Its more logical for you to need the card to resolve before triggering a locations draw. I think your history of playing MTG is making it difficult to understand why it makes more sense this way. However I also play Magic and it is the more sensical order

houjix
12-09-2013, 08:31 AM
then i guess the better question is: Does this game make use of a "stack" like MTG?

No, this game does not really use a stack like in Magic. Play a card and resolve. Then resolved any triggered effects in the order of your choosing if there are multiple.

Most non-TCG's do not use the advance timing rules of a game like Magic.

aoineko
12-09-2013, 04:41 PM
There is no "stack"/"chain" in this game. Just resolve cards one by one as you play them.

gerrymul
01-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Just posted this in the Felix Faust thread, but it belongs here as well. What happens with Felix Faust's first appearance attack when some/all players have less/more/no cards than other players. Specifically if a player manages the 3 Suicide Squad forced discard for all opponents, buys the current super villain, then Felix Faust appears as the next villain what will happen? Only 1 player has cards in this case. Do all other players get to take a card in order from that player without contributing any cards, or would it be handled like Braniac's first appearance? Similarly, if players had more than 5 cards when the attack happens, can we assume some players who started out with 5 cards may end up with more than 5?

Matt_Hyra
01-04-2014, 12:43 AM
It is handled in the same way as Brainiac. You only participate in the draft if you contribute to it. Note, however, that you can end up with a different number of cards than you started with.

gerrymul
01-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Thanks Matt. Can't wait for the expansion!

Druidguy
01-25-2014, 02:26 PM

Similarly, if I'm flash and I play a super speed to draw, can I choose not to use my super power and omit the second draw? (Advantageous situations like keeping your discard pile for man of steel call backs or bat signal/robin). If it's my super power, why can't I choose not to use it, right?

Because if we say you MUST draw, then you get into the "oh I forgot to draw" situations

Matt_Hyra
01-25-2014, 08:18 PM
The second draw from The Flash does not say "may."
So you must draw. Either don't play the draw or play your Man of Steel first.

Warbossjerry
01-29-2014, 08:50 PM
Black Manta has a first appearance, I have a super villain come up in my discard pile. Is the Super Villain Destroyed?

Matt_Hyra
01-29-2014, 11:32 PM
Black Manta has a first appearance, I have a super villain come up in my discard pile. Is the Super Villain Destroyed?

If Black Manta made you discard the top card of your deck, and that ends up being a Super-Villain, you have 2 choices (since the S-V has a cost of 1 or greater): You can destroy that S-V in your discard pile; OR you can discard your hand. If you discard your hand, nothing bad happens to any Super-Villains or any other cards in your former hand/current discard pile.

N-Finite
01-31-2014, 04:05 PM
In a 1 on 1 game and Amazo is revealed as the next Super-Villain. With his first appearance attack, both players just swap two cards?

Matt_Hyra
01-31-2014, 10:03 PM
In a 1 on 1 game and Amazo is revealed as the next Super-Villain. With his first appearance attack, both players just swap two cards?

Correct.

haramaki
02-02-2014, 01:32 AM
1. Atrocitus' first-appearance attack makes each player hide a random card under his/her Super Hero, except players using defense. So those affected players only have 4 cards in hand, while some still have 5 or more (from the benefit of defense). My question is: those players with 4 cards in hand, do they get to draw 5 cards after their turm is finished (but before Atrocitus is defeated), or do they continue playing 4 cards until Atrocitus is defeated?

We currently play by the house rule that all affected players can only draw 4 cards until Atrocitus is defeated, but come to think of it, that hidden card doesn't come back to owner's hand but to the top of deck. So that makes me wonder after first round of Atrocitus' FAA, players should've been able to play with 5 cards.

That is to say, if a Super-Villain's ability is forcing all players drawing only 4 cards each turn until said SV is defeated, that's pretty challenging. (From our experiences dealing with Atrocitus :P)

2. About Hidden Villains variant: say after a turn, there are 4 open slots in the line-up, when the last player is filling the line-up for the next player, and 2 or more SVs show up. How do we resolve the FAAs? Do we resolve them one villain at a time, finishing attacking the whole group then resolve the next SV? Or each player resolves first SV then then second SV then so on, being attacked by all the SVs presented then next player gets attacked?

When Luthor shows up while filling the line-up, does he count for himself? Does villains showing up after Luthor is flipped count?

3. Hidden-Villains AND On Patrol variant: when playing On Patrol mode, only the player playing his/her turn will be affected by villains. But when playing On Patrol AND Hidden-Villains, does FAAs still affect all player?

4. There's a reply from Matt, stated that when in On Patrol mode and during turn, if all cards are played and Bane is flipped, the player should still choose a card from the cards already played (but not yet discarded) to be attecked, because the played cards are considered the extension of our hand-cards. But at the same time, one CANNOT use a defense card (already played before Bane shows up) to defense this attack. What if I have already used the power I got from all of my played cards? Say I bought 4 cards already, there is 3 points left from Super Strength, and one open slot...I try my luck but Bane shows up. What do I do? If I discard a card, can I still keep the cards I bought, or should I put it/them back? What if by putting the bought card(s) back, the line-up becomes more than 5/6 cards? Do I put Bane back to main deck? Or can I just ignore Bane's attack?

Enjoy this game a lot. Looking forward to the extension!

Matt_Hyra
02-02-2014, 03:37 AM
1. Players redraw back up to the standard 5 cards at the end of their turns. Your House Rule is great, though. Keep using it.
2. Refill the entire Line-Up, then choose one Super-Villain to resolve. Resolve it against each player. Then move on to the next S-V. Lex will count himself and any other S-V's in the Line-Up.
3. When playing both On Patrol and Hidden Villains, a First Appearance - Attack in the Line-Up should hit ALL players.
4. I don't recall posting that you should discard already-played cards. If I did, it was a mistake. If you have no cards in hand, you don't discard anything to Bane.

Glad you like the game. I'm sure you'll love Heroes Unite and the new Variant Game Modes in there.

haramaki
02-02-2014, 05:58 AM
4. I don't recall posting that you should discard already-played cards. If I did, it was a mistake. If you have no cards in hand, you don't discard anything to Bane.
I read it from here: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=21790
Thanks for the clearification. :D

Here's another two happened just now:

Q1. I got an Aquaman's Trident, I defeated Ra's in the same turn. Could I use AT's card-text to put Ra's on top of my deck? Or Ra's default text comes first (goes to the bottom)? Personally, I think AT's text resolves first, since Ra's text says "at the end of your turn" plus when Ra's gets defeated, he goes to discard pile first (no Lazarus effect); it's after he gets reshuffled and drawn back into your hand does his Lazarus ability start kicking in (always coming back to bottom of deck unless discarded), right?

Q2. Anti-Monitor in Hidden-Villains game: say I have A-M in my hand, there are one or more Super-Villains in the line-up, do I get to destroy one/some/all/up to my choice of them (since S-Vs in line-up are villains/cards)? Or the rule-book still stands true (S-Vs AND Kicks (weakness won't be in line-up) are not A-M's legal targets)?

Glad you like the game. I'm sure you'll love Heroes Unite and the new Variant Game Modes in there.
Yay for more variant modes! My current favorite is "Hidden-Villains on Patrol," it's exciting and sometimes excruciating, just like annual crossover events: when there are already Atrocitus, Sinestro, Anti-Monitor in the line-up to plague us all...coming up next: Lex Luthor! *Clancy Brown's evil laugh*

Thank you very much for fast reply. *bow*

haramaki
02-02-2014, 06:20 PM

Reading this makes me wonder...

3.) If I have no cards in my hand for Joker's first appearance attack, do I still receive a card in my discard pile even if I can't pass a card? Also, in a 1-on-1 game, if my opponent defends do I simply discard a card or do I keep it in my hand?

3. You still get a card, even if you didn't pass one, unless you avoided the Attack. In a 1v1, you discard it into your own discard pile.

Say there are more than three players (clockwise: A, B, C, D, E) here. Next player is A. Prior to Joker's FAA, player B has discarded all his hand cards. Now Joker is flipped, Player A discards a vulnerability to B, while B can't defense nor has any card to pass to C, C gains no card but gives D a weakness, E uses defense so D gives A a punch.

Doesn't Player C get benefit from Joker's attack this way?:confused:

Well, the Joker is crazy so it makes sense (?) either way.:p

Matt_Hyra
02-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Q1: You only get Ra's "bottom of deck" ability when you play him, not when you buy him.

Q2: Anti-Monitor can target Kicks and Super-Villains in the Line-Up. The mention of them wa just a reminder that you can't hit the stacks.

As for you second post Joker question... Yes, Player C may have benefitted. However, keep in mind that a player can give a player a real card in order to also give them a Weakness.

Matt_Hyra
02-02-2014, 07:09 PM
As for the Bane "On Patrol" question. I changed my answer in that thread just now. I was trying to keep the variant interesting, but I should have realized that it would only cause confusion later on.

kmonarq7
02-04-2014, 07:55 AM
Matt:

In the above statement, Aquaman's Trident can't be used that turn to put Ra's on top of the deck?

Boon
02-04-2014, 08:52 AM
If you use Aquaman's trident on the turn that you PURCHASE Ra's, then you can put him on top of your deck.

But when you PLAY Ra's from your hand and you finish your turn Ra's goes to the bottom of your deck.

N-Finite
02-05-2014, 02:21 PM
New Villain Questions:

Mongul - Destroying a card is NOT a may effect, correct?

Nekkron - With his first appearance attack, if your foes defend then you are considered the player with the highest total and must destroy a random card?

Arkillo - If two players tie for the highest, both gain weaknesses?

Matt_Hyra
02-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Mongul's destroy is a must
Nekron: If you are the only affected player, it hits you no matter what you hand cost is
Arkillo: Yes. That is why the card uses the word "player(s)"

mrlebarican
02-19-2014, 03:18 PM
I been playing This game NON STOP And I came Across This Situation

Man of steEl Pops Up On The Line, IBuy It, Goes Immediately To My Discard pile. then I play the bat signal to gain Man of Steel into my hand. I now then search my discard pile for every supeR power I have and then play them and then i play aqua mans Trident. since I have bought Man of Steel that turn can I take him from the play zone and put him on top of my deck to gain him next turn because of aqua mans trident?

I Really Like This game competitively And Want To Play The Most Correct way As Possible

Matt_Hyra
02-19-2014, 05:38 PM
As soon as you buy or gain a card, decide now if you want to use the Trident effect on it.
The Trident sets up an ongoing effect when played. It uses the terms "buy or gain," not "bought or gained," so you can't go back in time to put a card on top. The Trident effect must be currently waiting for a card to be bought or gained to use it.

mrlebarican
02-19-2014, 10:37 PM
if I have aqua man and I buy cards from the lineup and put it on top of my deck and then draw into them and then play Them can I still put them back on top of my deck, Since IBought TheM OnThe Same Turn?

Matt_Hyra
02-20-2014, 05:03 AM
if I have aqua man and I buy cards from the lineup and put it on top of my deck and then draw into them and then play Them can I still put them back on top of my deck, Since IBought TheM OnThe Same Turn?

I edited my previous answer, as I had forgotten that I had ruled on this previously in another thread. See below:

As soon as you buy or gain a card, decide now if you want to use the Trident effect on it.
The Trident sets up an ongoing effect when played. It uses the terms "buy or gain," not "bought or gained," so you can't go back in time to put a card on top. The Trident effect must be currently waiting for a card to be bought or gained to use it.

Long story short: You have one and only one chance to put a card bought or gained (after playing the Trident) on top of your deck. You can't all crazy with a card and then decide to put it on top. Once you have put it on top (or not), the Trident no longer looks at the card again.

mrlebarican
02-20-2014, 09:57 AM
Thank you for your help. I also have another question. If I played J'on J'oNzz after I already bought a boss do I flip up the next boss and play that super villain or do I lose out on J'onn J'onzzs ability?

Matt_Hyra
02-20-2014, 11:16 AM
You lose out. The next Super-Villain is not flipped up until after your turn is over.

szuturon
02-25-2014, 01:04 PM
Scenario:
I start my turn with a 2 kicks and 3 punches in hand. I have a Titans Tower in play. I play one kick and draw a card using Titans Tower. The card I draw is Fortress of Solitude, and I play it.

Question:
Fortress of Solitude says to draw for the first super power I play during my turn. I played kick before Fortress of Solitude came into play. Does my second kick trigger Fortress of Solitude? or is there no effect because I already played a super power prior?

AaronH
02-25-2014, 02:25 PM
No effect, because the second kick was not the first Super Power you played that turn.

vbui0803
02-25-2014, 08:20 PM
I have question about whole power rings effect. If I combine 1st power rings equipment card with new expansion. At end of game with the victory points, do the 1st power rings equipment from core set count towards victory points with the new power rings of heroes united expansion? And also do power rings from first set count with Kyle rainers effect of winning the game?

pergusus
02-25-2014, 10:23 PM
I have 2 questions.
I have been playing with the 2 DC games mixed together and I am wondering if ...
1 Power ring from the original game can trigger Kyle
2 how does clay facing a power ring or plastic man on a power ring work with kyle.

Matt_Hyra
02-26-2014, 01:45 AM
I have question about whole power rings effect. If I combine 1st power rings equipment card with new expansion. At end of game with the victory points, do the 1st power rings equipment from core set count towards victory points with the new power rings of heroes united expansion? And also do power rings from first set count with Kyle rainers effect of winning the game?

Yes and yes.

Matt_Hyra
02-26-2014, 11:21 AM
I have 2 questions.
I have been playing with the 2 DC games mixed together and I am wondering if ...
1 Power ring from the original game can trigger Kyle
2 how does clay facing a power ring or plastic man on a power ring work with kyle.

1: Yes
2: Clayface and Plastic Man both help Kyle achieve the insta-win.

mrlebarican
02-26-2014, 10:55 PM
What is this insta_win?
And Matt hyra, why you decide to make red tornado only plus2 power?

Matt_Hyra
02-26-2014, 11:49 PM
What is this insta_win?
And Matt hyra, why you decide to make red tornado only plus2 power?

Insta-win means that if you can pull off a certain amazing combo, the game ends immediately and you win.

Red Tornado is +2 Power because during the second half of the game he is rarely not giving you +2, with little effort on your part. Plus, you can often buy a small card (1 or 2 cost) just to trigger his ability, then continue with your turn as normal with no loss of Power.

Also-- We tried him at +3 for a good while and it was too good. :D

Do0shebag55
02-27-2014, 05:33 PM
1v1... Graves comes off the SV pile... My opponent defends his First Appearance Attack and I lay down a Punch... Do I get to draw 2? Would it be different if I laid down a card with cost 1+?

xanthamonius
02-27-2014, 07:10 PM
i don't know if this question has been answered already but in Heroes Unite, if starbolt is played and a card like Man of Steel is then played to remove the super powers from the player's discard pile, does Starbolt keep the additional power? or does it go back down to the automatic 2 power? for instance if i have 3 super powers in my discard pile, i then play starbolt to gain 5 power, afterwards play man of steel to remove the 3 super powers from the discard pile, does Starbolt keep the 5 power or go back down to 2 power?

lostsoul1313
02-27-2014, 10:30 PM
It keeps the 5 power. All cards give power at the time of being played unless specifically stated otherwise. As an example in the first game if you play Mera with an empty discard pile for +4 power, and then buy a card (which goes to your discard pile) her power still remains at 4 power.

Matt_Hyra
02-28-2014, 01:20 AM
1v1... Graves comes off the SV pile... My opponent defends his First Appearance Attack and I lay down a Punch... Do I get to draw 2? Would it be different if I laid down a card with cost 1+?

Your 0 is the highest cost card, so you draw 2. No different if yours cost 1.

AaronH
02-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Had a situation come up that I'd like clarification on.

One of the players pulled off the Mind Control Hat/Jervis Tetch combo, so got to play each Hero and Villain in the Line-Up. Granny Goodness was one of the Villains in the Line-Up. The question arose as to whether the player would be able to return the other cards to the Line-Up and then use Granny Goodness...I said yes, because Mind Control Hat's ability says the player can play "each Hero and Villain, then return them to the Line-Up." I felt that because it specified "each" rather than "all," that the cards would be played (and thus, returned) one by one, instead of all at once.

Is this correct, or would Granny Goodness be S.O.L.?

Matt_Hyra
02-28-2014, 02:20 PM
They return all at once, as they have no respect for Granny.

AaronH
02-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Awesome, thanks.

If someone plays Shazam, and the top card is a location, how would that be handled?

Matt_Hyra
02-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Awesome, thanks.

If someone plays Shazam, and the top card is a location, how would that be handled?

You play it, and then it returns to the top of the main deck before you can take advantage of it.

Tamahome
02-28-2014, 10:21 PM
H'el's first appearance attack, what happens if I only have two cards left in my deck when he is revealed?

Tamahome
02-28-2014, 10:22 PM
Mind control hat is too good.

Matt_Hyra
02-28-2014, 10:26 PM
H'el's first appearance attack, what happens if I only have two cards left in my deck when he is revealed?

Shuffle your discard pile to find a third. If all of your cards are in play or in your hand, just stop at 2.

boba_fouts
03-01-2014, 01:39 AM
Hey Matt & Nathaniel, with the First Appearance - Attack on H'el, the active player chooses which card is destroyed for each player, correct?

Matt_Hyra
03-01-2014, 02:01 AM
Hey Matt & Nathaniel, with the First Appearance - Attack on H'el, the active player chooses which card is destroyed for each player, correct?

No, each player chooses their own card to destroy.

Aberration
03-01-2014, 07:25 AM
Some friends of mine and I have always had a debate on a rule in team play. Team play says that attacks don't affect your team mates, but my question is, do cards that refer to foes doing things count towards them as well? Cards like X-Ray Vision and The Joker that have your foes do stuff, but are not attacks. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

kmonarq7
03-01-2014, 07:59 AM
When utilizing the power of a location in Heroes Unite, can I reveal a different card from my deck from each location?

So, I would reveal the card for New Genesis, and the type matched, then I drew it, but then I could reveal again for a second location that I had?

Matt_Hyra
03-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Some friends of mine and I have always had a debate on a rule in team play. Team play says that attacks don't affect your team mates, but my question is, do cards that refer to foes doing things count towards them as well? Cards like X-Ray Vision and The Joker that have your foes do stuff, but are not attacks. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

They will just affect the members of the other team.

Matt_Hyra
03-01-2014, 09:55 AM
When utilizing the power of a location in Heroes Unite, can I reveal a different card from my deck from each location?

So, I would reveal the card for New Genesis, and the type matched, then I drew it, but then I could reveal again for a second location that I had?

Yes.
You must say which one you are activating first, then reveal. Then activate the next Location and reveal again.

Tamahome
03-01-2014, 10:48 PM
Unfortunate scenario. Both versions of the game smashed together. Amazo on top of the stack. Play john johnz, copy amazo, can I then just continue copying john infinitely? If so, with riddler, that's literally buying the entire deck. 3 card combo? Does this work Matt?

Tamahome
03-01-2014, 10:53 PM
Riddler also, obviously.

aoineko
03-01-2014, 11:10 PM
Unfortunate scenario. Both versions of the game smashed together. Amazo on top of the stack. Play john johnz, copy amazo, can I then just continue copying john infinitely? If so, with riddler, that's literally buying the entire deck. 3 card combo? Does this work Matt?

This did come up during testing and it doesn't work. Amazo doesn't go back on top of the Super-Villain stack until after he has finished resolving. If he chooses J'onn the is no card on top of the Super-Villain stack for him to play.

AaronH
03-02-2014, 01:42 AM
Edit: Removed, apparently I cannot read cards properly. :p

BizzaroFTW
03-02-2014, 02:22 AM
Batgirl is your hero- you discard your 1 punch card and draw a Talon (BTW love the Talon card, especially when I am Black Canary)- you have no other starter cards in your hand now to play. So the question is... does discarding that punch to draw count for triggering Talons +2?

Matt_Hyra
03-02-2014, 02:26 AM
Batgirl is your hero- you discard your 1 punch card and draw a Talon (BTW love the Talon card, especially when I am Black Canary)- you have no other starter cards in your hand now to play. So the question is... does discarding that punch to draw count for triggering Talons +2?

No, it does not.

AaronH
03-02-2014, 05:25 PM
This did come up during testing and it doesn't work. Amazo doesn't go back on top of the Super-Villain stack until after he has finished resolving. If he chooses J'onn the is no card on top of the Super-Villain stack for him to play.

I have a bit of a variation on this that I believe works. Say Amazo is in your hand, you play him for +3 power. You then play a Hero (any that gives power will work, let's say Swamp Thing, for example). Then, you play Clayface and select Amazo. Since Clayface and Amazo say "play it again this turn" it does not need to happen immediately and Clayface (who does not become a copy like Plastic Man, simply allows you to play the card you chose again) is fair game for Amazo to select as a Villain, and Swamp Thing for the Hero. Repeat as necessary for essentially infinite power. Combined with Riddler or Shazam, one could buy the rest of the deck in a single turn, with essentially 3 cards.

LexLuthorJr
03-02-2014, 10:24 PM
I'm sorry if these have been asked before. I tried to read through everything...

If a player defends against Amazo's First Appearance, is that player completely left out of the action? For example, if Players A and B both defend against Amazo, does Player C still pass one card to Player A and one card to Player B? Or does Player C simply keep his two cards?

Can Plastic Man copy Plastic Man, even if the card Plastic Man originally copied is no longer available?

Tamahome
03-02-2014, 10:38 PM
The player would not pass any cards.

I would assume if you are copying a plastic man in play which in case yes since the card specifically states he's an equipment when played.

Matt_Hyra
03-02-2014, 11:23 PM
I'm sorry if these have been asked before. I tried to read through everything...

If a player defends against Amazo's First Appearance, is that player completely left out of the action? For example, if Players A and B both defend against Amazo, does Player C still pass one card to Player A and one card to Player B? Or does Player C simply keep his two cards?

Can Plastic Man copy Plastic Man, even if the card Plastic Man originally copied is no longer available?

If a player defends against Amazo, they also do not receive any cards. Player C passes the cards to himself.

Yes, Plastic Man can copy a Plastic Man.

lostsoul1313
03-03-2014, 12:52 AM
I have a bit of a variation on this that I believe works. Say Amazo is in your hand, you play him for +3 power. You then play a Hero (any that gives power will work, let's say Swamp Thing, for example). Then, you play Clayface and select Amazo. Since Clayface and Amazo say "play it again this turn" it does not need to happen immediately and Clayface (who does not become a copy like Plastic Man, simply allows you to play the card you chose again) is fair game for Amazo to select as a Villain, and Swamp Thing for the Hero. Repeat as necessary for essentially infinite power. Combined with Riddler or Shazam, one could buy the rest of the deck in a single turn, with essentially 3 cards.

That doesn't work for the same reason the original scenario didn't work. You would play clayface, which would play amazo, which would play only be able to play swamp thing as clayface has not finished resolving.

AaronH
03-03-2014, 01:53 AM
Clayface specifically says "play it again this turn," which is far different than cards that require you to play immediately (Emerald Knight, Shazam!, and Granny Goodness all have different text which requires you to play the selected card immediately). It is a different scenario than J'onn.

I understand if Matt rules against this, but if so, it is an error with the card wordings. As I said, there are two very different types of "select and play" card texts.

Matt_Hyra
03-03-2014, 02:06 AM
You can replay Amazo with Clayface and choose Clayface. There is no "must finish resolving" rule for card selection.
We debated putting something on Amazo to avoid this. But in the end, it just happens so very infrequently (and only when you mix sets) that it wasn't worth the extra text.

vbui0803
03-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Ok so plastic man so since can copy a equipment, does that mean it works towards Batman and Nightwings superhero effects? And if he copys a defense equipment does that give booster gold extra power also?

Matt_Hyra
03-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Ok so plastic man so since can copy a equipment, does that mean it works towards Batman and Nightwings superhero effects? And if he copys a defense equipment does that give booster gold extra power also?

Plastic Man does count for them when he becomes an Equipment (or Defense for Booster Gold).

BizzaroFTW
03-03-2014, 11:54 PM
clarification on Deadman- first hand of the game, no discard pile, and you have 4 punches/1 vulnerability in hand. You play your 4 punches and use that power to gain Deadman. Are you allowed to destroy one of those punches you played to gain that card? or can you only destroy your 1 vulnerability?

Matt_Hyra
03-03-2014, 11:58 PM
Cards you play are not in your hand or discard pile.
If you can hold back some cards in your hand, that will give you more options.

dwang85
03-05-2014, 08:12 AM
If I'm Black Canary and I have Vandal Savage, do I essentially get +2 every turn or do I only get +2 the turn that I place Vandal Savage in front of me.

If I use forcefield and forget to leave the card in front of me, then end my turn and draw 5 new cards, can I go back into my discard pile and place him in front of me or am i SOL?

AaronH
03-05-2014, 10:16 AM
You would only get the extra +1 on the turn you play Vandal Savage.

Boon
03-05-2014, 11:01 AM
If I use forcefield and forget to leave the card in front of me, then end my turn and draw 5 new cards, can I go back into my discard pile and place him in front of me or am i SOL?

Depends on how nice your friends are..

Matt_Hyra
03-05-2014, 11:09 AM
If I'm Black Canary and I have Vandal Savage, do I essentially get +2 every turn or do I only get +2 the turn that I place Vandal Savage in front of me.

You only play Vandal once.
Yes, you can fish your Forcefield out of your discard pile.

dwang85
03-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Depends on how nice your friends are..
lol my friends and I play for money so every move is heavily scrutinized. Every incorrect move we make is a 20% deduction in winnings (if you win the game).

You only play Vandal once.
Yes, you can fish your Forcefield out of your discard pile.
Thanks Matt! I'm sure we'll have more questions the more we play so we definitely appreciate you responding so quickly.

dwang85
03-05-2014, 02:32 PM
Another question regarding Kyle Raynor.

Situation:
No cards in my discard pile and a power ring in the line-up.

I have two punches and a Kyle Raynor in my hand (5 points). If I use the 5 points to purchase the power ring in the line-up, do I now get the +2 bonus from the Kyle Raynor since the power ring goes to my discard pile?

Matt_Hyra
03-05-2014, 08:54 PM
No, you only get additional Power for additional Power Rings you play, not ones that show up in your discard pile.

Zindash2342
03-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Quick ruling question. Is it possible to loop with a Mind Control Hat/Jervis Tetch combo with Plastic Man in the line up? We had a friend play this and had no idea what to do. There doesn't seem to be any rulings that would stop the chain from occurring. Once Mind Control Hat is played, all hero/villains in the line up are played and then return to the line up. If Plastic Man copies the Mind Control Hat that was just played, would it not just continue endlessly? I don't know how I still pulled out a win with Red Tornado after this, but this was the craziest thing I've seen in the game so far.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Matt_Hyra
03-05-2014, 10:22 PM
Plastic Man is removed from the Line-Up when played. He is now in play in front of you, and you choose Mind Control Hat. Resolve the new Mind Control Hat. Plastic Man is not placed back into the Line-Up until PM/MCH and all of the other cards the original MCH played out of the Line-Up.

szuturon
03-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Amazo:
First Appearance--Attack: Each player passes one card to the left and one card to the right. Put cards passed to you into your hand.

In the event that 1 person defends this attack in a 3 player game, do the other two pass 2 cards to each other? Or just 1 card?

houjix
03-06-2014, 04:11 PM
Amazo:
First Appearance--Attack: Each player passes one card to the left and one card to the right. Put cards passed to you into your hand.

In the event that 1 person defends this attack in a 3 player game, do the other two pass 2 cards to each other? Or just 1 card?

You treat it like the person in the middle isn't there. It would be the same as if it is a two player game.

szuturon
03-06-2014, 04:13 PM
You treat it like the person in the middle isn't there. It would be the same as if it is a two player game.

Well the only other person taking the attack is the person to my left as well as the person to my left. So swap 2 cards with that person?

Matt_Hyra
03-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Well the only other person taking the attack is the person to my left as well as the person to my left. So swap 2 cards with that person?

You pass 2 cards to each other.

kmonarq7
03-07-2014, 07:16 AM
This situation came up last night. Glad to see we made the right call.

VM99
03-07-2014, 02:28 PM
When does Starfire's ability take place? Is it just at the start of your turn, or can you purchase the super powers from the line up and then trigger her ability after they're gone?

Monsoon
03-07-2014, 03:04 PM
When does Starfire's ability take place? Is it just at the start of your turn, or can you purchase the super powers from the line up and then trigger her ability after they're gone?
It says "once during each of your turns" so my group has been playing the second way. You can activate it at the start of your turn, or after you buy a superpower, or not at all. Really solid ability if you don't get held up by an early-appearing Teleportation or Super Strength.

haramaki
03-09-2014, 03:54 AM
Q1: Does Savage (already in play, ongoing) count for Killer Croc or Ocean Master (both require you play or have played another villain this turn)?

Q2: I have no defense in hand but I have a Plas in hand and a Skeet in discard pile. If I got attacked (not during my own turn), can I play this Plas as Skeet to defense myself?

And can I use Plas!Skeet's ability to get this Plas (originally Hero) back into my hand?

Q3: Got a Force Field. At the end of my turn, it stays on the table. For new hands, do I get to draw 5 cards, or should I only draw 4 cards (since there's already one on the table)?

Q4: Do all cards count for Larfleeze, including Starters and Weakness?

Q5: Amazo's FAA: "Put cards passed to you into your hand." Since Attacks happen clockwise, if I got a weakness from the right (put this weakness into my hand), can I choose this weakness and pass it back to the right or to my left?

AaronH
03-09-2014, 08:29 AM
1: No. He only counts as being played on the turn he was played, just like any other card.

2. No, Plastic Man requires you to play him in order for his ability to resolve, but you can only play cards during your own turn. (So no to your second part, even *if* you could play him out of turn, because he's still resolving the Skeets ability and therefore would not be in your discard pile.)

3. Draw five cards. It's no different than having a Location in play.

4. Yes.

5. The passing happens at once, you don't get to pass someone else's card along in order to avoid losing one of your own cards. You select two cards from your hand, do the passing, then receive the cards you were passed.

basebalbuf
03-09-2014, 01:24 PM
With Force Field, is the draw a card ability ongoing or only the first time you play it?

basebalbuf
03-09-2014, 03:25 PM
with mind control hat/jervis combo, larfleeze is in the line up as well as another villian or hero costing five or less, can i use the ability of the hero or villan with five or less then use larfleeze's ability and gain the other hero or villian that costs five or less that i already used and use it again.

Matt_Hyra
03-09-2014, 04:04 PM
With Force Field, is the draw a card ability ongoing or only the first time you play it?

Just when you play it. The word Ongoing does not appear before the "Draw a card," so it is not Ongoing.