PDA

View Full Version : VARIANT: Location, Location, Location...

Schubacca
12-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Location cards are shuffled separately and placed in their own stack to the right of the villain stack and the first location is revealed. This is where the team members travel to fight Ra's Al Ghul. ALL characters benefit from the current location and it cannot be purchased.

Once a villain is defeated, the winning hero decides whether to reveal a new location or stay at this location to fight the next villain.

---

Initially, I thought of having the location change with each defeated villain and re-shuffling them once exhausted, but it seems to add more strategy and player involvement by allowing the winning hero to choose. The reactions ranged from guffaws to giddy laughter depending on how long a location stayed or was switched by heroes. :)

Feel free to provide feedback and/or tweaks to this variant!

Ssobaekil
01-01-2013, 06:46 AM
This is a neat idea. I kinda like it.

Ssobaekil
01-01-2013, 12:59 PM
This can be bad.... here is the case.

Player 1: Owns from the location, buys super villain and other cards, leaves the location.

Player 2: Does not benefit from the location, forced to beat super villain to change it before they want to beat super villain.

Thus, player 2 is at a disadvantage.

This seemed like it had potential...

They just need to have ways of blowing up locations.

StormKing
01-02-2013, 01:59 AM
I actually really like this idea. Going to try it now. :)

FuriousMILK
01-02-2013, 04:58 AM
So, I just tried this play type out hours ago. It worked fairly well, in my opinion. It forces you to decide if you want to buy for strategy or "good stuff." Personally I played for strategy and when a new locale flipped, I changed up my buys a bit to accommodate it.

Advantages and disadvantages are part of any game Ssobaekil, not to offend or seem like I'm attacking you, but that's just how it is. And by your logic, some lands flip that no one was really banking on.

If I were reviewing this officially, I'd give this type a stellar review, don't actually plan on playing Vanilla DC anymore. Brings a little flavor to the game as well.

darkjawa103
01-02-2013, 05:36 AM
Would it make it better if you changed the location with each villain?

Ssobaekil
01-02-2013, 10:42 AM
I dont like the each villain idea. Also FuriousMILK, I stated in the 2nd post of this thread i liked the idea. After talking it over with my brother who plays as well, we thought of the down flaws to this idea. If a neutral location hits like Titian Tower, then it it fair. If someone is superman and going for super powers with The Fortress out, then GG.

FuriousMILK
01-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Ah, well, I did not see that, but still, unless it's a co-op game, which DC isn't, there will be disadvantages, that's how you play them. It might suck if you're sitting across from the person with the bonus, but it happens. Just makes you work harder and think more about your plays to get the Fortress of the field.

Clavaat
01-02-2013, 10:10 PM
unless it's a co-op game, which DC isn't,

There's a co-op variant in the rulebook which is actually a lot of fun. Just saying.

Also, this seems like a fairly cool variant, except I feel like the Flash would be at a pretty significant advantage because he would be able to draw an extra card pretty much invariably, especially if Titan's Tower is out. I haven't gotten a chance to try this yet, but that would be my only qualm. Otherwise, cool idea!

Ssobaekil
01-03-2013, 04:13 PM
The team variant is fun, EXCEPT that your "not allowed to discuss your hands." We took that part out. We play Team 1, player 1. Team 2 player 1. Team 1, player 2. Team 2, player 2. -> Team 1, player 1... etc.

Teammates sit by each other and talk about their hands and work together.

Other than that, it's pretty fun.

FuriousMILK
04-02-2013, 07:43 AM
Oh, it's been a while, but I just wanted to say, this is the only format we play now.

Vilesin
04-05-2013, 02:46 PM
So what do you do about Swamp Thing? We decided to make him a 6 cost / 2 VP card. Wondering what others did.

Zuty
04-05-2013, 08:06 PM
@ Vilesin - Our group made him +3 Power. Gorilla Grodd costs 5, gives +3 Power, and is worth 2 VP at the end. Swamp Thing costs 4 and costs 1 VP, so we decided on +3 Power since if we did +2 Power, he'd be a worse Catwoman.

~Zuty

FuriousMILK
04-06-2013, 01:39 AM
So what do you do about Swamp Thing? We decided to make him a 6 cost / 2 VP card. Wondering what others did.

In our group I added in the Steel card from the Homrbrew thread. Just put in two Steels and took out the Swamp Things.