PDA

View Full Version : VARIANTS: Who's got some?

FuriousMILK
01-02-2013, 05:04 AM
I'm sorry if you thought this was another game variant, because it unfortunately isn't. This is more like someone looking for others who have variants they've already made, or, ones they're thinking up. I'd love to hear about them, looking for ways to spice up the game a bit while waiting for DC2, LotR, and Capcom.

If you haven't seen it Schubacca's "Location, Location, Location..." variant, you should check it out, it's a very simple change but it makes the game a mess more fun, if you ask me.

FuriousMILK
03-31-2013, 06:08 PM
So, I've noticed that the creativity of this forum has begun to drop, as in, there haven't been any new custom heroes, bosses, deck cards, locations, gameplay variants, or anything, as of late. I was hoping someone might have come up with something? Personally I don't want things getting stale, y'know?

The reason I'm doing a bit of a bump here is because I have a bit of an idea in mind. My play group plays Resident Evil every now and then, and there's one thing I noticed there that DC doesn't have; custom decks. Decks built around the hero you play, not just the base deck that everyone gets strapped up with.

I wish I had more to offer, but I admit that I'm not the most creative with things like this.

Zuty
03-31-2013, 11:36 PM
I'm a bit of a recluse and, 9 times out of 10, a forum lurker. I'll bite and throw out the idea of a format me and a friend have been messing with.

We don't have a name for the format, so I'll skip that and just cut to the set up.

1. Players are given 20 "free" power to build a deck before the game begins.

2. Determine turn order by rolling a die or whatever method you can think of.

3. The person who goes first looks through the main deck and picks a card with cost 5 or less and puts it aside. The next person then goes and so on and so forth. Players may not pick the same card they have already picked. Sorry Suicide Squad.

4. This continues until each player has either built a deck totaling 20 power or has taken five cards from the main deck.

Example: Player A picks Batmobile (2), Robin (3), Catwoman (2), Emerald Knight (5), and Power Ring (3) giving him a deck of five cards totaling 15 power. The extra 5 "free" power he has is wasted. Player 2 picks Bane (4), Suicide Squad (4), Lasso of Truth (2), King of Atlantis (5), and Green Arrow (5) giving him a deck of five cards totaling 20 power. And Player Red picks Fastest Man Alive (5), Green Arrow (5), Lord of Atlantis (5), and Emerald Knight (5) giving him a deck of four cards totaling 20 power.

5. Each player is then given three Punch cards and two Vulnerability cards. Afterwards, if a player has less than 10 cards in their deck, they gain a Vulnerability until they have 10 cards.

Going back to my above example, Player Red would have his four cards which each cost him 5 power, three Punch cards, and three Vulnerability cards. Player A and Player 2 both get the normal distribution of three Punch cards and two Vulnerability cards.

6. Then, in reverse order from before (Step 2), each player randomly picks a Super Hero.

Again, going back to my example, Player Red would pick a random Super Hero first, then Player 2, and finally Player A. This helps prevent players from building a deck for a specific Super Hero. Although, sometimes you might be lucky.

7. The game then carries on as normal. However, at the end of the game the cards you picked in the beginning award ZERO victory points.

Optional House Rules:
-Suicide Squads cannot be picked with your "free" 20 Power.
-No locations can be picked with your "free" 20 Power.
-No unique card can be picked with your "free" 20 Power. This means ANY card that there is only one copy of in the main deck.

There are still kinks to be worked out, but so far it has made for some REALLY fast paced games with final scores from each player being no greater then 30 or 40. Still need to work on a name for it though ...

I'll get around to posting custom cards and what-not later if and when I find the time. My group is play testing heavily with some custom cards and have found that the variant format I suggested has been a FANTASTIC way of testing out custom cards.

~Zuty

FuriousMILK
04-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Very nice! Thanks for coming out of lurking for this, Zuty. I think I might have my group mix this play type with the Location one that was posted a while ago. I could see it being fun. My group doesn't play as often as I like, but when we get a chance I'll report to you any issues, or successes, that we run into.

But yeah, if you have more ideas, please, do tell. same to anyone else.

onlyonecannoli
04-01-2013, 03:10 PM
I'm sorry if you thought this was another game variant, because it unfortunately isn't. This is more like someone looking for others who have variants they've already made, or, ones they're thinking up. I'd love to hear about them, looking for ways to spice up the game a bit while waiting for DC2, LotR, and Capcom.

If you haven't seen it Schubacca's "Location, Location, Location..." variant, you should check it out, it's a very simple change but it makes the game a mess more fun, if you ask me.

Link to Schubacca's variant for the lazy: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=21392

onlyonecannoli
04-01-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm a bit of a recluse and, 9 times out of 10, a forum lurker. I'll bite and throw out the idea of a format me and a friend have been messing with.

We don't have a name for the format, so I'll skip that and just cut to the set up.

1. Players are given 20 "free" power to build a deck before the game begins.

2. Determine turn order by rolling a die or whatever method you can think of.

3. The person who goes first looks through the main deck and picks a card with cost 5 or less and puts it aside. The next person then goes and so on and so forth. Players may not pick the same card they have already picked. Sorry Suicide Squad.

4. This continues until each player has either built a deck totaling 20 power or has taken five cards from the main deck.

Example: Player A picks Batmobile (2), Robin (3), Catwoman (2), Emerald Knight (5), and Power Ring (3) giving him a deck of five cards totaling 15 power. The extra 5 "free" power he has is wasted. Player 2 picks Bane (4), Suicide Squad (4), Lasso of Truth (2), King of Atlantis (5), and Green Arrow (5) giving him a deck of five cards totaling 20 power. And Player Red picks Fastest Man Alive (5), Green Arrow (5), Lord of Atlantis (5), and Emerald Knight (5) giving him a deck of four cards totaling 20 power.

5. Each player is then given three Punch cards and two Vulnerability cards. Afterwards, if a player has less than 10 cards in their deck, they gain a Vulnerability until they have 10 cards.

Going back to my above example, Player Red would have his four cards which each cost him 5 power, three Punch cards, and three Vulnerability cards. Player A and Player 2 both get the normal distribution of three Punch cards and two Vulnerability cards.

6. Then, in reverse order from before (Step 2), each player randomly picks a Super Hero.

Again, going back to my example, Player Red would pick a random Super Hero first, then Player 2, and finally Player A. This helps prevent players from building a deck for a specific Super Hero. Although, sometimes you might be lucky.

7. The game then carries on as normal. However, at the end of the game the cards you picked in the beginning award ZERO victory points.

There are still kinks to be worked out, but so far it has made for some REALLY fast paced games with final scores from each player being no greater then 30 or 40. Still need to work on a name for it though ...

I'll get around to posting custom cards and what-not later if and when I find the time. My group is play testing heavily with some custom cards and have found that the variant format I suggested has been a FANTASTIC way of testing out custom cards.

~Zuty

This is really similar to a variant I play. Inspired by the upcoming LotR DBG where each player gets one unique card to start the game, every player gets the option to exchange exactly one punch for a card in the main deck. Players get exclusive access to their own hero card (e.g., Batman gets to pick the "Dark Knight" card), and otherwise no one can draft a unique card (e.g., Lobo). Players also cannot pick cards that Attack other players.

To keep things balanced, this chosen card is not free but is "loaned". To indicate that a player has a loan to pay back, we keep the exchanged punch card in front of us--if the game ends and a player has not paid off his loan (if the punch card is still in front of him), he automatically loses. Don't mess with loans.

Loans must be paid back all at once, so no slowly pecking away at it with leftover power (otherwise the balance of picking an expensive card is broken). For example, if a player starts the game with "Man of Steel", at some point during the game, that player must spend 8 power (the card's cost) all in one turn to pay back the loan. Again, failing to do so means the player cannot win the game.

We do make an exception for Cyborg since he got kinda' screwed hero card-wise: he can exchange three punches for all three "High-Tech Hero"s, and these count as three separate loans (all of which must be paid back, otherwise he loses if the game ends).

I like your idea of using dice to determine a draft order. So far, there hasn't been any fights over cards, but I'll definitely use dice if necessary!

Zuty
04-01-2013, 10:11 PM
@ FuriousMILK - Will do. About to make a post showcasing how to make custom cards quick and easy with NO Photoshop or image editing experience.

@ onlyonecannoli - I like the idea of "loaning" Punches to grab a few cards and having to pay them back before the game ends. I think that punishment of losing the game is incredibly severe if you can't pay off the debt, but I really can't think of a better punishment. Also, as long as the game is long enough I can't imagine debt being a huge issue. I do think that starting off with 'Man of Steel' is VASTLY more powerful than 'Emerald Knight' or 'Fastest Man Alive', but it really comes down to how you use the loaned cards and what flips up. You may only manage to get 'Kicks', because no other Super Powers are popping up or aren't sticking around long enough for you to grab. Sounds like something I'll have to try out.

~Zuty

EDIT: I updated my post to include a house rules ban list. You can enable or disable any or all of them if your group so desires, but my group has found it optimal to keep them all enabled.