PDA

View Full Version : Who else would like to see a second currency incorporated into the new expansion?

Ssobaekil
01-07-2013, 08:53 PM
I think i would like a second option for buying cards that have a different cost type than the ones in the first set.

Take out the Vuln.s and add a new currency.

This way its not as much a dumb and buy kind of game anymore.

I like the game now, don't get me wrong people. My friends and I would not mind seeing this new addition so there is more skill involved with it than there already is.

cervidal
01-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Then what would distinguish it from Penny Arcade, beyond artistic license?

Ssobaekil
01-07-2013, 09:08 PM
penny arcade has set piles. i want penny arcade with a main deck basically then.

blackroseyagami
01-07-2013, 09:20 PM
I don't feel it needs another currency, not yet at least.

The one currency simpleness allows for easy entry into DB Gaming for anyone

houjix
01-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Two currency makes it basically Ascension with some tweaks. That game has higher instances of dead or extremely sub par hands late into games . No thanks.

Ssobaekil
01-07-2013, 09:59 PM
The "sub par" hands keep the game from snowballing like DC tends to do. Plus, again, it takes more thought and strategy.

houjix
01-07-2013, 10:26 PM
The "sub par" hands keep the game from snowballing like DC tends to do. Plus, again, it takes more thought and strategy.
Not really, it's just a different level of random that unnecessarily prolongs a game. Nothing in that game irks me more than having an all money hand and only monsters on the board or vice versa. Two currency with random buys is just bad.

DC is light, fast, and fun. Why does it need to be overly complex?

Ssobaekil
01-07-2013, 10:33 PM
to invoke a higher level of thinking...
to let someone go one direction and another player another...
to invite new aspects into the game...
all seem legit.

LexLuthorJr
01-07-2013, 10:49 PM
I don't think another payment type would be beneficial to the game. A new card type, maybe, but I dislike it when they start making games overly complicated with entirely new rule systems.

houjix
01-07-2013, 11:07 PM
to invoke a higher level of thinking...
to let someone go one direction and another player another...
to invite new aspects into the game...
all seem legit.

Some times I want to play checkers, other times chess. I don't feel the need to complicate checkers when I can just go play chess.

zimagic
01-08-2013, 07:33 AM
I'd like to see some sort of cards that give you benefit for staying within your Super-heroe's group of cards. For example, a superman card that gives you +1 VP for every Superman card in your deck and -1 VP for every non-superman card in your deck (Ok, I'm not sure how to define a "superman card" but things like Heat vision, super strength etc. are all obv Superman cards, all the Batman themed equipment are all obv Batman cards etc etc.).

Skinner
01-08-2013, 07:58 AM
I'd like to see some sort of cards that give you benefit for staying within your Super-heroe's group of cards. For example, a superman card that gives you +1 VP for every Superman card in your deck and -1 VP for every non-superman card in your deck (Ok, I'm not sure how to define a "superman card" but things like Heat vision, super strength etc. are all obv Superman cards, all the Batman themed equipment are all obv Batman cards etc etc.).

Wouldn't ever work. What about Green Lantern, for example? He has no specific card type which his card references. Same with Aquaman. And Cyborg or Martian Manhunter reference two card types, which would hardly seem fair to the heroes that only reference 1, let alone the 0s.

jbabel
01-08-2013, 08:29 AM
-1 OP
As others have said, if I wanted that then I would play Ascension. The checkers/chess analogy is spot on. I play DC when I want to play DC, if I want to play Ascension I would play that. There is no need to complicate this game needlessly.

jbabel
01-08-2013, 08:39 AM
@zimagic
I think cards that just genericly benefit specilization would work. Something like 'Tech Savvy- at the end of the game this card is worth 1 VP for every 3 equipment cards in your deck'. That would benefit most players but someone playing Batman or Cyborg more. I would also like specialized weakness cards, something like: 'Kryptonite-You cannot buy this card from the lineup if you are playing Superman (erratta-and your hero card is face up). When you buy this card: Attack:Place this card in a foe's discard pile. At the end of the game this card is worth -2VP for each Super Power in you deck.'
And one for each super hero. I like the attack since it can be defended if you get lucky, otherwise you need to destroy it.
One final card idea: Deus Ex Machina-play a card from the trash as if it was in the line-up.

zimagic
01-08-2013, 08:42 AM
@zimagic
I think cards that just genericly benefit specilization would work. Something like 'Tech Savvy- at the end of the game this card is worth 1 VP for every 3 equipment cards in your deck'. That would benefit most players but someone playing Batman or Cyborg more. I would also like specialized weakness cards, something like: 'Kryptonite-You cannot buy this card from the lineup if you are playing Superman (erratta-and your hero card is face up). When you buy this card: Attack:Place this card in a foe's discard pile. At the end of the game this card is worth -2VP for each Super Power in you deck.'
And one for each super hero. I like the attack since it can be defended if you get lucky, otherwise you need to destroy it.
One final card idea: Deus Ex Machina-play a card from the trash as if it was in the line-up.

Yep, that's kinda where I was going. Obviously there's less cards for some of the Superheroes so my concept wouldn't fly but I'd like to see some way to enforce the mythos of a particular character above and beyond the text on the Super-hero card.

aoineko
01-08-2013, 09:31 AM
'Kryptonite-You cannot buy this card from the lineup if you are playing Superman (erratta-and your hero card is face up). When you buy this card: Attack:Place this card in a foe's discard pile. At the end of the game this card is worth -2VP for each Super Power in you deck.'

-2 VP per Super Power?! Might as well say if this is in your deck at the end of the game you lose. That's pretty much subtracting 6+ points from a regular deck and 20+ from a Super Power deck.

arien
01-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Some times I want to play checkers, other times chess. I don't feel the need to complicate checkers when I can just go play chess.

lol thats a winning arg if I have ever seen one.

Clavaat
01-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Other currency is actually an interesting approach to the problem I posted in another thread: How will this game handle expansions? Making the MD double in size seems ridiculous. The odds of getting anything are really skewed then. So 2 separate lineups? 2nd currency? Obviously, this would be speculation unless a certain Matt Hyra feels like commenting.

Skinner
01-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Since Ascension is already a topic of comparison in this thread, I'll continue that here re: expansions: In Ascension they "suggest" you use no more than 1 regular set and 1 expansion (which are smaller in Ascension) at a time for your main deck. It does make the main deck larger of course, but never so large that it's unmanageable or too large to see X card over the course of a few plays.
CZE may suggest something similar, but really it's up to the players how big they want to make their main deck, or if they think something is too large or not. I trust that whatever CZE comes up with will be well tested and thought through, and they won't just dump cards on people without any consideration for the large main deck element.

LexLuthorJr
01-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Personally, I'd rather see frequent mini-expansions rather than wait long periods of time for a full one. Just a small pack every so often with one new SuperHero and about a dozen other cards.

Ferrier13
01-09-2013, 06:23 AM
The problem with a secondary currency is this.. This game engine runs so smoothly because there is only one currency. By adding an additional currency you are changing the game engine completely. I just don't this happening.

iceberg
01-09-2013, 06:54 AM
Personally, I'd rather see frequent mini-expansions rather than wait long periods of time for a full one. Just a small pack every so often with one new SuperHero and about a dozen other cards.

How sad is it that I was looking for the "like" button for this post?

I am a long time table top miniatures and pen & Paper RPG player. One of my favorite games is Heroclix until recently. The constant adding of different aspects of the game has made it nearly 5 times as complicated as when I first started. It's not fun anymore. It also detracts from new players getting into a game as too many variables in a game can be very intimidating especially to a young player watching a bunch of older teens and adults playing at the LGS. I taught my 8 yr old daughter to play heroclix using rules before everything became so cluttered and we have a blast nor does she feel any anxiousness towards playing.

All that said, I like to see more from a game, more characters/new powers/locations/maps, etc.... but leave the mechanics alone.