PDA

View Full Version : X-ray Vision and clayface

arien
01-12-2013, 03:38 PM
This situation came up in a game already and I thought I should share it.

Situation: An X-ray vision i played revealed a clayface on an opposing player's deck.

Questions:

1. Does the game end if I decide to play the revealed clayface via x-ray vision and copy the x-ray vision, rinse wash and repeat for an infinite loop? Or is their a point because of game text/rules that this ever would happen and why?

2. If the game does end, does everyone lose; or do I win because I created the loop; or do we still decide who wins based on victory points? And why?

Grish
01-12-2013, 05:24 PM
It says 'You may play' you can choose to stop it.

JimL
01-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Generally speaking with indefinite repeatable effects you can do it as many times as you like until you want to change one of the variables to continue on with the game. As this loop can be broken by you no matter what the game state is i would have to believe you at some point would need to choose to not play clayface at the very minimum. I am sure this rule has not really come up as this combo is 100% trolling. As this game is intended for fun and I was one of the opponents to watching this and you were getting no further benefit from repeating the process I would say hey cool that you find that now would you mind stop playing with yourself and let us finish the game. If for some reason this would actually unpredictably end the game I would have to say the winner would still be the one with the most victory point in the same vein as the guy who buys the last super villon thus ended the game does not win the game off it but I trully do not believe this would end the game in any imaginable scenario.

arien
01-13-2013, 11:33 AM
I ask this not as a troll but because this situation did come up on my turn and I chose the more logical, sure-fire out of buying everything on the board via copying other things. I am pretty sure the game was meant not to be that way and see if there was any game mechanic that forces that particular situation to be resolved.

Can we indeed get a clarification on this? Some infinite loops in MTG and VS have cards that say "may" in their text but yet if one can show at least 2 successful iterations of it the game would end. It does indeed make sense if the game is geared towards to VP but for people who choose this "easy" way out, opponents need a convincing reason why this loop is indeed not game ending.

The game is intended for fun yes, but there are competitive people out there regardless of the game and the situation.

houjix
01-13-2013, 12:16 PM
WOw has rules for optional loops as well. You chose a number and the opponent chooses either to run the loop that many iterations plus or minus one, I can't recall exactly which it is, and ythe game continues.

Matt_Hyra
01-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Since the loop does not generate any victory points or any end-game condition, you may just end it whenever you choose to and continue the game.