PDA

View Full Version : Best Character?

LRoq617
02-21-2013, 11:33 PM
Hello. I'm new to the forums. I've had the game for a couple of weeks, and my friends and I are definitely having a blast with it. Right now, I'm wanting to conduct some research on who the generally accepted best character in the game is, for multiplayer mode. Call me a statistics nut if you must, but bear with me, I enjoy this stuff. I'll share some personal experience and thoughts, but if they are to be disproven, by all means, speak up.

A couple of things first, though:

1) I'm not asking who everyone's favorite character is here. Batman can be your favorite character of all time (he's up there for me, personally), but that doesn't necessarily mean that this opinionated fact (heh) means he's the best in this game.

2) I'm also aware that this game really doesn't exist in a vacuum, therefore variance is always going to be a factor, no matter which character(s) you're playing. However, I'm also a firm believer in that a higher level of variance for a given character will generally mean that they can be significantly less good in the long run, due to an inherent level of dependancy. Then again, this factor may be why I'm bringing up this discussion anyway.

I'll list them alphabetically here, and where I think they are in a tier breakdown, and why.

Aquaman: Probably has the best early game of any character, due to being able to setup his draws better than anyone else, even in the longer game. The drawback here is that in the later portion of the game, you aren't getting immediate access to the really powerful stuff like high-end Villains (Lobo, Doomsday, etc.) and, by proxy, Super-Villains. Still, it doesn't take much for him to get an early lead, and can blaze ahead from the start faster than anyone.
My placement: Mid to High Tier

Batman: I really want to love Batman, but while there is some tremendous equipment out there (Nth Metal, Power Ring, Green Arrow's Bow), the issue is that other people want these cards, too. Remember: just because they're insane for Bats doesn't mean other people can't utilize them either. So his ability is definitely pretty good, but sadly, the well can dry up faster than one would normally like.
My placement: Low to Mid Tier

Cyborg: This is a weird one. He has a lot less variance than other characters, and the fact that he benefits from two specific card types only helps him in the long run, especially when he has access to one of them at all times (in this case, Kick). That being said, he just doesn't seem to have the oomph required to go in the long run, barring some specific locations. Draw power is great and all, but I've just never had a game with Cyborg where he gains more than he has to put into it.
My placement: Low Tier

The Flash: Speaking of draw power, this guy easily runs away with the grand prize. Unlike Cyborg, Flash is a pure card-drawing engine in himself, and while he's a little on the high-variance side, the way I see it is this: Flash is someone who's particularly good when he's just doing what he's doing anyway, but give him something like a location and suddenly he becomes nigh-untouchable. The difference with someone like Batman or Wonder Woman is that you're struggling if you don't get exactly what you want, whereas Flash can benefit from having something like a location, or just pure card drawing with cards like Super Speed, Kid Flash, or The Fastest Man Alive.
My placement: High Tier

Green Lantern: Here, however, is where the buck stops. In my play experience, no one character has had the ability to just absolutely take over a game like Green Lantern does. Main strengths include: +3 Power printed on the ability, which is a duh, and the fact that you're not looking for specific cards to get momentum. You're fine just as long as you're not buying doubles, which means that it's probably best to be skimpy with the Kicks. He's also probably the 2nd best abuser of locations in the game (behind Flash), because with that kind of draw power, you're that much more likely to get your ability triggers. GL's a total monster in this game, from everything I've seen.
My placement: High (probably Top) Tier

Martian Manhunter: I finally got my copy this week, but haven't gotten the chance to play him yet. On paper, MM seems to fall somewhere between Cyborg and Green Lantern on the scale of effectiveness. Like Cy, he's looking for 2 specific card types to gain momentum, which is better than looking for only 1 (Batman, Superman, WW). However, he's also the only character in the game that can gain +6 power in a single turn from his ability alone, and that's nothing to sneeze at. With the right locations, he's obviously nuts, but again, variance. Still, an obvious powerhouse.
My placement: High Tier

Superman: The only other character I haven't played yet, only due to having never had him be dealt to me. From notes I've gathered from friends who have played him, he seems to be on the same wave as Batman, with the added bonus of always having a card available to buy to trigger (again, Kick), but therein lies the HUGE difference. Now I know multiples Kicks in a turn won't trigger his ability that many times, but just the option of having them and having them be better than anyone else's Kicks (except for Cyborg) is still a valuable commodity. The only game changer for him seems to be Man of Steel, but that card's broken as hell anyway, so that's like saying plants are better when they have sunlight. Supes, overall, just kinda seems to be in a weird place where he just makes the already insane cards better, rather than making the decent ones really good, and I think the latter is where you want to be in this game.
My placement: Low Tier

Wonder Woman: Oddly enough, this character might be my reason for writing this up in the first place. When it comes to high variance, look no further than the Amazon. From what I've played, Villains just don't seem to show up that often, and some of the ones that do just aren't that interesting. Sure, taking out someone like Bane, Scarecrow, Grundy, or Doomsday and getting a card just for doing so is obviously awesome, but what about the lower end stuff like Poison Ivy or Penguin or Riddler. Once you nail them, sure, you get to draw another card, but then they're in your deck, and for characters like that, that's not really where I want them. Sure, Arkham Asylum is insane, but that blends into exactly what I'm talking about. Drawing more cards is all well and good (see: Flash), but if I have to buy cards I don't want just to get them, I don't see enough of an upside.
My placement: Low Tier, though I did read the thread about how she's insane in 2v2, and I'm inclined to agree.

These are all just one man's opinion, and I'd love to hear all of yours, which is why I started this thread. If you asked me to rank the characters in order, top to bottom, it would probably go something like this:

Green Lantern, Flash, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman, Cyborg, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman.

I must say though, I'm surprised no one else started up anything like this yet, and I've read through the whole forum a few times. Happy chatting! :)

jbabel
02-22-2013, 11:41 AM
you have flash way too high, he is possibly the worst hero IMO, close to superman. I feel cyborg is better then you have him and WW as well these are both mid tier at worst.

chiboloco
02-22-2013, 11:46 AM
I disagree with most of your rankings. GL is not that great. Early he does nothing and late he is decent. Manhunter is clearly better. It is way easier to get three power off him especially early. If you get 2 villains and 2 heroes you get 6 power. Batman is great. He gets +1 on each equipment including the batmobile when you ditch it to draw a new hand. There is also a ton of equipment in the deck to go around. The flash needs card draw to do anything. most of the card draw comes from defenses which everyone wants. There is also only 1 copy of each location in the deck.Cyborg is amazing. It is way easier to get card draw from him than it is for the flash. He also has two abilities. Wonder woman is also amazing. Most game she draws 6 or 7 cards a turn after the first few turns. Super man does stink though lol.

chiboloco
02-22-2013, 11:47 AM
I agree with everything you said jbabel. You snuck that poat in while I was typing my post.

Ssobaekil
02-22-2013, 02:28 PM
It depends on HOW you like to play. Also, it depends on what hits the board. Here is the positives to every hero (you decide which one you like)

Batman: Although he competes with Cyborg for the equipment, he gets a +1 beef from EVERY one he plays. In turn, snagging a few EARLY equipment means that you have more power on your early turns to buy other types of cards that are more powerful! This can snowball your deck faster than your opponent.

Wonder Woman: There are 33-ish villains in the main deck. This is more than any other card type. She does not compete over them except against the Manhunter. This can give her an early or late advantage with more cards to play. Also, turn 1 buying a villain and cycling your deck already can be huge depending on how much power was in your opening hand.

The Flash: He goes 1st! Plane and simple! He ALWAYS gets the most turns in a game. Make sure the game ends on your turn and you just got a 1 turn advantage over your opponent. Not to mention going 1st means that you have first pickins at the good stuff. Sure you might not get a great card on your 1st or 2nd turn, but cycling the deck 1st and having those cards bought in turn 1 and turn 2 can be huge!

Manhunter: He is good because there are a lot of heroes and villains in the main deck. Heroes that draw help him out a lot too! Two locations SPECIFICALLY help out the direction you want to build your deck (Arkham and Watch tower). He is good b/c getting 3 extra power is not a hard task to accomplish and you can still get 3 more power for a total of 6 extra power!!!!!

Superman: He is good b/c he always has the kick pile to start. You can opt. to not buy a card on the board and get a kick. This is good for 2 reasons, 1.) It helps your power and 2.) It keeps the line-up the same for the next players turn. You can effectively control how their early game will turn out! There are plenty of different superpowers too so getting +1 from each different is really good too.

Cyborg: He can also do the kick pile strategy same as superman. However, he only gets +1 period. That being said, when he plays equipment, he gets to draw a card! Having 6 cards most every turn is not that rare in a cyborg based deck. Again, other than batman, the other players are buying things toward their strategy leaving the equipment for you to take.

Green Lantern: Yes he is slow to start. Yes he needs 3 different cards. However, cards like Super girl, john jones, and the emerald knight can help you get the that 3 very quickly. Also, the cards that draw new cards are great with him. Once GL gets going, he is amazing!

Aquaman: One of my personal favorites! He can place 0 - 5 cost cards to the top of his deck! This effect allows for the most sneaky and strategic deck types. Drawing cards are amazing when you buy a card, put it to the top, then draw it and play it the same turn. He also allows you to set up your next turn! This allows a bad hand you know is coming to become an OK hand or a great hand.

Clavaat
02-24-2013, 12:59 PM
The problem is that this game is insanely situational. I love it for that reason, however that makes it difficult to pinpoint who is the "best". Batman, for example, is very much based on getting those early game equips and can be next to useless if he doesn't get them. Cyborg is very strong if he gets the Batcave and Batmobile.

The only Hero I consistently love using is Aquaman. He has so many options and combinations its amazing. Cheetah -> Card 4 or less -> Top of Deck -> Draw card to get it that turn, you paid nothing so far. Also, he doesn't cater to any one particular card type, so he can really make the deck his own, while everyone else struggles for specific cards. This also plays into his denial game. Cyborg really wants that Batcave? Oh well, I don't have much equipment, but I can build towards it, and, oh yeah, I play it next turn no matter what because it goes on top.

LRoq617
02-28-2013, 10:45 PM
I've read over a lot of the testimonies listed here, and after a few more games, my list has definitely changed, likely for the better.

I still feel Green Lantern is still as insane as ever. His ability doesn't do much until turn 5 or so, but the fact that he benefits from everything that isn't a Starter Card or Weakness means that you don't have the variance that other characters do, and you're still doing more over the long game than most characters will do.

Flash is definitely worse than I anticipated. Without a Location, he tends to falter a tad. He can still do work with cards like Kid Flash and Super Speed, but outside of Locations, your deck is yearning too much for cards like Fastest Man Alive and Lex Luthor to take the wheel. Going first is great, but not offering any real inherent power just isn't going to do it in the long run.

Still haven't gotten to play MM, but he seems to just be on a Risk vs. Reward kind of pattern. He just seems to be a lot more dependant on his draws than other characters not named Green Lantern, though he does benefit from them more. Watchtower and Arkham are insane, obviously, but that just goes back to what I said about Flash being good with Locations period. Definitely looking to place him lower.

Aquaman is... definitely still good, but the issue I see is that he seems to struggle in longer games, to a point. The Trident is your best card for getting around this, since it allows you to put bigger cards like Doomsday, Lobo, Heat Vision, etc. on top of your deck ala your ability, but aside from that, he's almost purely an early game character. His primary advantage still seems to be that, much like Lantern, you don't have to rely on certain types of cards to do work. I'd probably leave him where he is.

Cyborg is definitely better than I gave him credit for. Even though half of his ability feels like a poor man's Superman at times, the inherent draw power can't be ignored, and Batcave is obv. nuts. Plus, much like Supes, Kicks are always good buys. I'd place him almost as high as 2nd, though I'm thinking 3rd is more likely.

After finally getting to play Superman... I can say that it definitely seems like I was right in his placement. Really though, it's not like Superman is just outright bad. He can definitely hit some nut draws, since some of the best cards in the game (Heat Vision, Super Strength, Man of Steel) are just plain better for him than they are anyone else. Two problems arise: 1) He's boring as hell to play (really, it was almost agonizing, even though I won that game); and 2) Super Powers have the second-lowest representation in the main deck (only beating out Locations) with only 16 cards, which I guess is what explains Kicks. It seems like he wants to do what Batman does, but even with Kicks always being at his disposal, he's just not doing it better due to the plentiful equipment available.

Speaking of Bats, I dare say he should be a bit higher as well, probably Mid to High Mid. He's fun as hell to play, and the Utility Belt is always going to be turned on for VP in even the not-so-ideal games. He does a lot of work, and he'd be better if he wasn't quite as high variance as he already is. 25 or so Equipment is a decent number, but you'll always be wanting more.

Finally, Wonder Woman is definitely being bumped up a notch or two. There are 35 Villains in the main deck, which makes her ability easier to turn on than some of the other type-dependent characters. Her big upside however, IMO, is the fact that in the mid game, she's always going to have someone to pummel from the Super Villain pile (with enough power, of course), and she's just better than everyone else at benefiting from doing this. I'd place her pretty close to Batman, maybe a bit higher, though she can still have a rough game or 3.

My new list would probably look something like Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter (I know what I said, but +6 power is still just way too strong), Cyborg, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Flash, Superman.

LexLuthorJr
03-04-2013, 03:55 PM
I think what hurts Superman and Batman is that only Super Powers and Equipment are defensive (with the exception of Blue Beetle). The two of them might be more effective if there were defensive Hero and Villain cards to take the slack off the high demand for those defensive Super Powers and Equipment.

IAmTheGreat
03-18-2013, 12:49 PM
#1: Cyborg

#2: Martian Manhunter

#3 (Tied): Wonder Woman/Aquaman

#5: Superman

#6: Batman

#7: The Flash

#8: Green Lantern

Clavaat
03-18-2013, 08:46 PM

Green Lantern and Flash at the bottom...you must not play very often.

LRoq617
03-18-2013, 10:57 PM

I felt like I was being trolled when I saw this.

I've played this quite a bit more over the past few weeks, and while I'm not sure I'd consider GL the "runaway best" any longer, he's certainly not the worst character in the game. Where does that logic come from anyway?

Clavaat
03-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Ya, that is by far the worst list I've ever seen. Not putting Supes and Bats at the bottom is the biggest sin. They have such a huge disadvantage...Flash can draw his deck if built right at all, GL has just a bit less options than MM, and Cyborg is definitely not better than the 2 of them. Seriously, read my post about Aquaman. He's a tricky character, but he has sooooooo many good options its amazing. WW is solid, and probably the only one on the list I might agree with.

LunarKnite
03-19-2013, 02:22 PM
I think lists depend on what kind of game they are being played in. My list for best Super Hero is different when comparing a 2 player game to a 4 or 5 player game. I see that previous list pretty as a possible 2 player list, despite my personal disagreement with it as well. My personal overall list would be this:

1) Aquaman
2) Cyborg
3) Green Lantern
4) Wonder Woman
5) Batman
6) Superman
7) Martian Manhunter
8) The Flash

IAmTheGreat
03-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Green Lantern is by far the worst, and me and my friends have played hundreds of games. It was Unanimous. If you can get trash effects early, then hes alright, but if you cant you're in trouble.

As for the Flash, going first can be good. However with the drawing, all the draw cards are bought up by others regardless of who they are playing (Locations, Super Speed, Fastest Man, Manta, etc.) The only one he benefits off of that other players leave alone (besides MM or GL) are Kid Flash. And the downside to Kid Flash is he clogs up your hands to leave less room for defenses, as well as being a target for Parallax and Sinestro. Drawing 1 extra card a turn (at most, and even then not every turn) is usually overshadowed by other characters getting 2+ power a turn or being able to manipulate their deck better.

LRoq617
03-22-2013, 11:05 AM
I think lists depend on what kind of game they are being played in. My list for best Super Hero is different when comparing a 2 player game to a 4 or 5 player game. I see that previous list pretty as a possible 2 player list, despite my personal disagreement with it as well. My personal overall list would be this:

1) Aquaman
2) Cyborg
3) Green Lantern
4) Wonder Woman
5) Batman
6) Superman
7) Martian Manhunter
8) The Flash

I'm still not so sure Aquaman belongs that far up there. Middle of the road seems more appropriate, like 4th/5th place. His early game is definitely the best, but over the course of any game, other characters are just doing much bigger and better things, i.e. Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, etc. He would have to consistently get a nut buy/draw of 1st turn Location into card that works with it (example: Watchtower into Catwoman, Arkham Asylum into Two Face) for him to really be considered the best character in the game.

Also, Martian Manhunter being that low definitely isn't correct. Triggering either of his abilities puts him on par with Lantern, plus he can double it, and to top it off, Heroes and Villains are the two most commonly represented card types in the main deck, so you should be good to go with your build, as long as you avoid the crappy ones like Zatanna.

Green Lantern is by far the worst, and me and my friends have played hundreds of games. It was Unanimous. If you can get trash effects early, then hes alright, but if you cant you're in trouble.

As for the Flash, going first can be good. However with the drawing, all the draw cards are bought up by others regardless of who they are playing (Locations, Super Speed, Fastest Man, Manta, etc.) The only one he benefits off of that other players leave alone (besides MM or GL) are Kid Flash. And the downside to Kid Flash is he clogs up your hands to leave less room for defenses, as well as being a target for Parallax and Sinestro. Drawing 1 extra card a turn (at most, and even then not every turn) is usually overshadowed by other characters getting 2+ power a turn or being able to manipulate their deck better.

Sadly, going first is probably the best part of Flash's hero card overall. Without Locations, he just isn't doing enough, and his ability might as well read "If you're winning, win more." That, to me, is not a great character.

Also, I agree that Hal wants trash cards more than any other character, but I wouldn't go so far as to call him "all right." He's definitely better than that, easily up there with Manhunter, Cyborg, and Wonder Woman.

LunarKnite
03-22-2013, 11:24 AM
I'm still not so sure Aquaman belongs that far up there. Middle of the road seems more appropriate, like 4th/5th place. His early game is definitely the best, but over the course of any game, other characters are just doing much bigger and better things, i.e. Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, etc. He would have to consistently get a nut buy/draw of 1st turn Location into card that works with it (example: Watchtower into Catwoman, Arkham Asylum into Two Face) for him to really be considered the best character in the game.

Also, Martian Manhunter being that low definitely isn't correct. Triggering either of his abilities puts him on par with Lantern, plus he can double it, and to top it off, Heroes and Villains are the two most commonly represented card types in the main deck, so you should be good to go with your build, as long as you avoid the crappy ones like Zatanna.

Well, it's my personal overall list. However the way my friends and I play isn't exactly going straight for the Super Villains as soon as possible, so we like to build our decks, and power isn't that hard to come by except in the early game. Aquaman gives the best control for that. Also, Aquaman, along with Green Lantern, are the best Super Heroes to deny other players. Admittedly, Aquaman loses his power in a 2-3 player game as it's harder to deny one person by yourself, but his versatility lets you strategize towards the cards that come up and your opponent, rather than solely your Super Hero.

That's the reason why I have Martian Manhunter so low. It's tremendously hard to get Martian Manhunter going, much harder than Green Lantern as it's specific cards that may or may not be available. Also if he's denied by a Wonder Woman often or other Super Heroes wanting the hero cards, he's shut down much like The Flash can be. My top three of Aquaman, Cyborg, and Green Lantern are that high because of their versatility in cards they can buy. The power to deny other players while still building according to your Super Hero's power is what I find most important to their overall strength and ranking.

LRoq617
03-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Well, it's my personal overall list. However the way my friends and I play isn't exactly going straight for the Super Villains as soon as possible, so we like to build our decks, and power isn't that hard to come by except in the early game. Aquaman gives the best control for that. Also, Aquaman, along with Green Lantern, are the best Super Heroes to deny other players. Admittedly, Aquaman loses his power in a 2-3 player game as it's harder to deny one person by yourself, but his versatility lets you strategize towards the cards that come up and your opponent, rather than solely your Super Hero.

That's the reason why I have Martian Manhunter so low. It's tremendously hard to get Martian Manhunter going, much harder than Green Lantern as it's specific cards that may or may not be available. Also if he's denied by a Wonder Woman often or other Super Heroes wanting the hero cards, he's shut down much like The Flash can be. My top three of Aquaman, Cyborg, and Green Lantern are that high because of their versatility in cards they can buy. The power to deny other players while still building according to your Super Hero's power is what I find most important to their overall strength and ranking.

It's funny you list Cyborg under "versatility," when the 2 card types he's looking for are the most uncommon card types in the main deck, aside from Locations (not counting Kicks). In fact, I think it's because of this that he's even less versatile than someone like MM. Count up the cards in the main deck sometime: trust me, the numbers don't lie. Yeah, MM has variance issues, but so do all of the characters not named Aquaman or Green Lantern.

The other good thing about Manhunter is that no other character is really gunning for Heroes. Hell, if I'm not playing Flash or if I didn't acquire a Titans Tower/Watchtower, I wouldn't even bother getting a Kid Flash most of the time, but that's not the case with MM. Drawing into more Heroes is exactly what you want to be doing. Sure, WW can hurt your chances of getting Villains, but the good thing for MM is that the pendulum swings both ways, and it's even more disadvantageous for her. Look at it this way: in a 3 or 4-player game, MM is likely at less of a disadvantage than she is, especially if he's in turn order right before her. If it's the other way around, then you still have Heroes to purchase.

You do have a good point about Green Lantern, though. One of the things that's so effective about playing Hal is that you can deny your opponent(s) their strategy and still be in a winning position due to his low variance policy. Same with Aquaman, though GL is just overall more powerful, I feel.

P.S. Example nut draw last week: as GL, first 2 buys are Aquaman's Trident and Super Speed. Turn 3, draw both, play Trident + Punch, buy Kick, play Super Speed, draw Kick, play Kick, ability triggers, add Punch for 6 power, buy Heat Vision. Let's see Superman or Batman ever do something insane like that.

LunarKnite
03-22-2013, 01:13 PM
I've counted up the cards, I know exactly what's the number of each type. I just don't believe late game power is that important if playing with standard rules. That +1 power Cyborg can get from Kicks that are always going to be available for at least the first 3-4 rounds, and will be triggered more often than MM's power, if he can even get the cards. And Heroes aren't as neglected as you may think. The 8 unique Hero cards are all worthwhile cards to buy, even if some are more dependent on your Super Hero. Also, if anybody picks up a Green Arrow, (which they should) they'll go for more Heroes, and I find Kid Flash to be a card that's rarely on the field for longer than a full rounds because of his cheap cost. Mera and Supergirl (both late game) are the only Hero cards I see consistently getting ignored by everybody else.

Cyborg has the always available Kick stack which makes him a mini-Supes, as well as the draw power, making him a better Flash. Combine the two and that's why I have him so high. Equipments as draws outnumber The Flash's draw cards, they are also all relatively cheaper than most cards, thus easier to obtain, despite being sought after by more players. What puts him over is the combination of power and draw. I put very little emphasis on pure power, especially the late game power of Superman and MM.

As for your Green Lantern example, Aquaman is the only Super Hero able to get 7 power on his 2nd turn. He can consistenly get 6 power on his second turn as well. First buy, 3 power, get Kick, place it on top of your deck. New hand, Kick and 4 punches, get that Heat Vision a turn before anyone had a chance. That possible, though admittedly improbably 7 Power 2nd turn happens when there's both Catwoman in the line-up and Aquaman has 4 power. He places both on top and draws both Catwomen, and 3 punches, giving him 7 power. Enough for a Super Strength or a Lobo.

Clavaat
03-24-2013, 09:38 AM
I'm so confused as to how nobody ever goes for the Super villains apparently. Why not? If you know you can block it, it is by and large the easiest way to get ahead of the game and get amazing effects, like Anti-Monitor. That's not to say I'm going for Ra's right away, as a matter of fact, that's the only reason we may wait awhile. The more you buy for your deck, the larger it gets, and that's just poor strategy. You should be trying to end the game faster...

LunarKnite
03-24-2013, 11:17 AM
I'm so confused as to how nobody ever goes for the Super villains apparently. Why not? If you know you can block it, it is by and large the easiest way to get ahead of the game and get amazing effects, like Anti-Monitor. That's not to say I'm going for Ra's right away, as a matter of fact, that's the only reason we may wait awhile. The more you buy for your deck, the larger it gets, and that's just poor strategy. You should be trying to end the game faster...

Personally, for my group and I, winning isn't exactly analogous to having fun. Sure, it may sweeten the play a little, but it's actually playing that's fun, not the end result. It just so happens the way we all play is to neglect the SVs from time to time. Especially Ra's al Ghul and Captain Cold. Others like an early Atrocitus/Darkseid or Parallax and especially Lex Luthor are popular quick buys, but they aren't necessarily the best way to get ahead in the game. If you can get a 3rd Suicide Squad, you've already racked enough points equal 2 SV in 12 power. Green Arrow and Utility Belt are always snatched up because of their 1:1 cost to VP ratio, despite you having to obtain other cards first.

But I find it cool that everybody plays the game a little differently. I mean, I do like winning as much as the next, but sometimes I'd sacrifice setting up a really large combo involving The Riddler and a bunch of power for setting up the Suicide Squad combo and see how they all react when their hands go bye-bye. Also, the Hidden Super Villain variant is a lot better in pushing everybody to buy the Super Villains, which has become our default way to play lately.

Rtsands45
04-02-2013, 10:11 AM
From my personal experiences with these are my rankings. The first person to play and activate locations will most likely win. My playgroup finishes a game in 15-20 min playing a 3 or 4 player game with all of the super villains. The heroes are ranked as follows:

Playdeck consists of:
16 superpowers
28 equipment
5 locations
33 villains *
32 heroes *

*can't remember if 33 heroes and 32 villains.
totaling 114 cards

The argument that Flash is better with a location is null since all characters are better with locations. People should not pass up locations with few exceptions. In MTG we have what are called win more cards. Meaning if you are already winning and you play this card you should still win, but by a greater margin, and locations are win more cards.

1) Cyborg- he +1s a super power and draws for the first equipment each turn. In most deck building games extra draws tend to equate to more plays/power. 28 equipment and 32 superpowers means he has 60 cards for his strategy 16 of the 32 superpowers are from the kick pile which can allow Cyborg a 6-7 power 3rd turn. The added benefit of cyborg are the Nth Metal, super-speed, bullet proof, lasso of truth, heat vision, and cape and cowl are all in his game plan.

2) Martian Manhunter - Having a possible +6 power each turn is ridiculous. MM benefits from the easy draws such as two-face and kid flash not to mention Super Villains add further to the maindeck heroes and villains. He is hard to turn on early game but late he normally generates 12- 18 power easily. People in my playgroup rank him as number 1 but being a MTG player I am a sucker for card draw.

3) Wonder Woman - As I stated before extra draws mean more buying power. She can benefit a lot from an early game heat vision or Lobo if you are lucky. The added benefit that some villains have attacks for your opponents. 7 card hands each turn are not unheard of.

4) Aquaman- stacking any 5 or less card gained for the turn makes him amazing vs SV then buy a defense and stack. He is not pigeon holed into buying certain cards which makes him versatile.

5) Batman - again 28 equipments but +1 on each puts him far ahead of Supes. How does captain cold turn off being intelligent I just don't know.

6) The Flash - the problem is finding card draw. Going first doesn't mean you will have the first 5 hand to buy that location let alone a card draw will be on the field. The Flash sans locations is just a giant unflushed turd in the game toilet bowl.

7) Green Lantern - Yeah he can get you 3 power in a turn, early game is is utter crap, which is what matters for making or breaking your deck. He needs to find a super girl, J'on J'onz, or emerald knight in a 114 card deck to make him worthwhile early. Super girl being the one he can actually buy early game. Thumbs down green lantern.

8) Finally Supes - The worst of the worst. Lets see we can x-ray vision, super speed, bullet proof, kick, super strength, and heat vision for a +6 good luck with that since there are 16 superpowers in the playdeck of 114.

LRoq617
04-02-2013, 11:08 AM
From my personal experiences with these are my rankings. The first person to play and activate locations will most likely win. My playgroup finishes a game in 15-20 min playing a 3 or 4 player game with all of the super villains. The heroes are ranked as follows:

Playdeck consists of:
16 superpowers
28 equipment
5 locations
33 villains *
32 heroes *

*can't remember if 33 heroes and 32 villains.
totaling 114 cards

The argument that Flash is better with a location is null since all characters are better with locations. People should not pass up locations with few exceptions. In MTG we have what are called win more cards. Meaning if you are already winning and you play this card you should still win, but by a greater margin.

1) Cyborg- he +1s a super power and draws for the first equipment each turn. In most deck building games extra draws tend to equate to more plays/power. 28 equipment and 32 superpowers means he has 60 cards for his strategy 16 of the 32 superpowers are from the kick pile which can allow Cyborg a 6-7 power 3rd turn. The added benefit of cyborg are the Nth Metal, super-speed, bullet proof, lasso of truth, heat vision, and cape and cowl are all in his game plan.

2) Martian Manhunter - Having a possible +6 power each turn is ridiculous. MM benefits from the easy draws such as two-face and kid flash not to mention Super Villains add further to the maindeck heroes and villains. He is hard to turn on early game but late he normally generates 12- 18 power easily. People in my playgroup rank him as number 1 but being a MTG player I am a sucker for card draw.

3) Wonder Woman - As I stated before extra draws mean more buying power. She can benefit a lot from an early game heat vision or Lobo if you are lucky. The added benefit that some villains have attacks for your opponents. 7 card hands each turn are not unheard of.

4) Aquaman- stacking any 5 or less card gained for the turn makes him amazing vs SV then buy a defense and stack. He is not pigeon holed into buying certain cards which makes him versatile.

5) Batman - again 28 equipments but +1 on each puts him far ahead of Supes. How does captain cold turn off being intelligent I just don't know.

6) The Flash - the problem is finding card draw. Going first doesn't mean you will have the first 5 hand to buy that location let alone a card draw will be on the field. The Flash sans locations is just a giant unflushed turd in the game toilet bowl.

7) Green Lantern - Yeah he can get you 3 power in a turn, early game is is utter crap, which is what matters for making or breaking your deck. He needs to find a super girl, J'on J'onz, or emerald knight in a 114 card deck to make him worthwhile early. Super girl being the one he can actually buy early game. Thumbs down green lantern.

8) Finally Supes - The worst of the worst. Lets see we can x-ray vision, super speed, bullet proof, kick, super strength, and heat vision for a +6 good luck with that since there are 16 superpowers in the playdeck of 114.

This is closer to what my current list is, though I still think GL is #4 or 5 or so. Also, I'm starting to find Aquaman to be fairly overrated, despite having a better turn 2 than anyone else. The advantage you have to accumulate in the first 7-8 turns in the game has to be insurmountable for him to even be able to hold his own in the long haul, and very few cards will do this for him. Only Locations seem to really get him to go that extra mile, but as you said, that's the case with anybody.

Cyborg is definitely #1, no question. He has an easier time getting 6 power on turn 3 than anybody else not named Supes, and his draw power easily trumps that later. MM is great, albeit a bit sluggish to start, and I still think he has the most powerful ability, despite not being the overall best. WW at #3 is also fine. She benefits from beating Super Villains better than anyone else.

The rest, well... here's where it gets a bit blurry. As much as I don't enjoy playing Superman in this game, I can't list him as the worst character, just because he has ways of getting around variance, because of the Kick stack. Much like Cyborg, he can easily hit 6 power on turn 3 (Batman has a harder time with this, since Equips aren't always going to be there), and Kicks are also never a bad buy for him, no matter the situation. Either way, I think he ranks above anyone else not named GL.

Speaking of GL, I've dropped him significantly after seeing just how poorly he plays in games with more players, though I don't think he's the worst character either. He's one of the best characters at shutting out other strategies, since he's not locked into buying one or two specific card types, and his ability is still pretty consistent at triggering.

Batman, well... I want to say he's one of the best characters. SO much. But it's just not the case. The problem with Equipment isn't just that there's so little of it, though that doesn't help. It's that EVERYBODY wants it, with maybe a few exceptions. Cards like Aquaman's Trident and Power Ring are strictly better than Kick for everyone not named Superman, so naturally, everyone's going to want those, Nth Metal is the only Trash card available that costs less than 5, and Green Arrow's Bow is one of the best cards in the deck period. Good luck getting all of this past the whole table. Seriously, the only games I've won with Batman was because I got stupid lucky acquiring cards that weren't Equips, and that would be good for anyone (early Locations, 4th turn Lobo, etc.) If you're doing that, then it just doesn't feel like you're playing Batman. You could be winning with just a vanilla character in that case.

Flash... yeah, he sucks. There are only 16 non-Location cards in the deck that draw (including variable draws like Two-Face), and much like Batman, everyone else is gonna want most of them, especially Super Speed and Fastest Man Alive. He's lucky if he gets to do anything at all, really.

LunarKnite
04-02-2013, 07:18 PM
It seems a group's playstyles heavily affect the rankings of the Super Hero cards. For quicker playstyles the better heroes look to be those who get a lot of power quickly and consistently to take down the Super Villains as soon as possible. For slower playstyles, control and versatility/deny ability are what tend to win out.

Alfamodorz
04-14-2013, 12:09 AM
I've been playing a lot of heads up singles head up matches. For my singles-1v1 tier list I have the following champions in order left to right of strength:

Top Tier: Green Lantern, The Flash

Middle Tier: Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Cyborg, Batman

Low Tier: Wonderwoman, Superman

Ironfist
05-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Character rank is based on how many people are playing the game. 2 person is a lot different then 3-4 and it is also different based on knowledge of the people playing. People I play with buy cards to make sure you do not, so it is all based on luck, the entire game is based on luck of the draw. You get early cards like cheetah or dark knight, you can win easily based on the board. Just like card stacking using Paralaxx makes games go fast.

Ranks based on not having Martian Manhunter.
2 player ranking:
1. Aquaman-- so great early just due to card stacking, you can build up a big lead early
2. Cyborg -- Great versatility with power and equipment, very good since you can almost always buy a kick
3. Batman -- I put him higher up because for some reason, almost every game we play equipment comes up a lot.
4. Green Lantern -- fails early but picks up as you go along.
5. Wonder Woman -- falls behind early unless the board is stacked with low level villains...you get that, she is anywhere from 1-3
6. Flash -- Drawing power is not great for an ability, especially early on
7. Superman-- Easily the worst 2 player hero, almost every useful power is cost 4+ so makes early game hard and you lose ground fast.

3/4 player rank:
1. Aquaman -- again, deck stacking is way huge here. There's a reason the instructions say to put him and cyborg aside when you first start
2. Cyborg -- Has always been close to the top in multi player games due to power/equip versatility
3. Green Lantern -- most multi games last longer, as such he is better int he long run
4. Wonder Woman -- multi games put a lot more villains out letting you rifle your deck faster
5. Batman -- Same as ww, equipment comes out faster
6. Flash -- extra card draw only works well with locations, if people buy them before you, it is really mediocre
7. Superman -- Still the worst character, he has never finished higher then 3rd in any game we have played.

Aagain,t hese are all based on luck of the draw, but those are the ranks so far as we have seen them win. YOu get the odd board where wonderwoman gets 3 villains in a turn and then just rolls from there on out. The worst part is superman is just plain bad.

dwang85
05-15-2013, 12:03 PM
My friends and I have played well over 100 games and have recently started to keep track of our stats (i.e. points, margin of victory, and number of wins by a specific hero). Green Lantern has been dominating most games followed by Superman then Cyborg. We play in a 2-5 player setting. My overall rankings list goes like this:

1) Cyborg - Very versatile. Can focus on equipments and super powers and can take advantage of man of steel. Combine this with the equipment or superpower location card and it's pretty much a guaranteed win.

2) Green Lantern - Has a very good end game where pretty much every turn will net you +3. If you manage to get cards like x-ray vision or supergirl, you can utilize his powers very early on. Also lets you play in accordance to how you like instead of having to focus on equipments, superheroes, or villains etc.

3) Superman - I originally did not like superman much but over time he has grown on me. Having access to the kick stack is useful at the start and if you're lucky to get cards like bulletproof, super speed, etc, then he is very good. Super Strength is also very nice :)

4) Batman - Very close to superman imo. Many good defense cards and equipment cards are generally pretty useful (i.e. aquaman's trident, green arrow's bow). Lacks a big + card like a super strength.

5) Wonder Woman - Very good offensive card with many villains having an attack. The only thing is that you are prone to attacks as well since you won't have many defense cards.

6) Martian manhunter - The thought of a possible +6 on a turn makes this card seem very overpowered. When playing it, I find that he starts too slow for my preference. I find that I never get to utilize his power until my 5th or 6th turn at the very earliest and by then, other players are killing bosses already.

7) Tie between flash and aquaman. Both do not give any +point bonuses and their late game play is horrible.

Ironfist
05-15-2013, 01:59 PM
3) Superman - I originally did not like superman much but over time he has grown on me. Having access to the kick stack is useful at the start and if you're lucky to get cards like bulletproof, super speed, etc, then he is very good. Super Strength is also very nice :)

7) Tie between flash and aquaman. Both do not give any +point bonuses and their late game play is horrible.

Superman has never won a game we have played. in 2 player, there is a good chance that your opponent buys the first 3 or 4 villains.

Aquaman's ability to card stack is phenomenal. Even if you buy just a kick, you start every turn with at least 2+ power. Not to mention the turns where the overpowered low cards come out like cheetah. Maybe everyone here plays Aquaman different but he is over powered as a hero almost as much as superman is under powered. There are no cost 2 power cards that help, the lowest good powers card is 3. You fall so far behind in 2 player games with Superman.

The multi player games work better for superman in general, but if everybody buys your powers, it is weak. Consider that there are certain cards that come up that anyone would take given the chance. Pray super strength comes out right before your turn, because that won't make it around.

B.Larkdighter
05-16-2013, 10:42 AM
I play regularly with two other people. We decided to keep track of the outcome of our games. We chose our superheros randomly until we had played with each character 10 times.

Here are our results. The top four were all very close to each other.

Superman - This was a surprise. I still don't think he's the best character, but while we were keeping track the person that played with Superman consistently won.
Green Lantern
Cyborg
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Batman
Martian Manhunter
Flash

This was the result of our statistical analysis, but I would still personally rank these different. For example, Martian Manhunter is better than #7. Some of the people in my group just didn't know how to use him; cards like Bat Signal (combined with Robin), Kid Flash, Fastest Man Alive, Clayface, and the card where you can play a hero, superpower, or equipment from the lineup (can't remember what it's called) are some of the key cards for MM.

I still can't figure out why Superman did better than Batman, but the one thing I've noticed is that Batman more at the mercy of what comes up in the lineup. Sometimes there aren't any equipment to buy, or someone else takes them first. But Superman can start buying superpowers right away no matter what.

dwang85
05-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Superman has never won a game we have played. in 2 player, there is a good chance that your opponent buys the first 3 or 4 villains.

Aquaman's ability to card stack is phenomenal. Even if you buy just a kick, you start every turn with at least 2+ power. Not to mention the turns where the overpowered low cards come out like cheetah. Maybe everyone here plays Aquaman different but he is over powered as a hero almost as much as superman is under powered. There are no cost 2 power cards that help, the lowest good powers card is 3. You fall so far behind in 2 player games with Superman.

The multi player games work better for superman in general, but if everybody buys your powers, it is weak. Consider that there are certain cards that come up that anyone would take given the chance. Pray super strength comes out right before your turn, because that won't make it around.
Depends on how your group plays I guess. As I said, Superman has won the second most games in our group since we started keeping track.

With Aquaman, I'm not disputing that he isn't good at the start. In fact, he's probably the strongest at the beginning. The problem with Aquaman is later in the game, you are struggling to kill bosses whereas everyone else is having 15-20 point hands.

I play regularly with two other people. We decided to keep track of the outcome of our games. We chose our superheros randomly until we had played with each character 10 times.

Here are our results. The top four were all very close to each other.

Superman - This was a surprise. I still don't think he's the best character, but while we were keeping track the person that played with Superman consistently won.
Green Lantern
Cyborg
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Batman
Martian Manhunter
Flash

This was the result of our statistical analysis, but I would still personally rank these different. For example, Martian Manhunter is better than #7. Some of the people in my group just didn't know how to use him; cards like Bat Signal (combined with Robin), Kid Flash, Fastest Man Alive, Clayface, and the card where you can play a hero, superpower, or equipment from the lineup (can't remember what it's called) are some of the key cards for MM.

I still can't figure out why Superman did better than Batman, but the one thing I've noticed is that Batman more at the mercy of what comes up in the lineup. Sometimes there aren't any equipment to buy, or someone else takes them first. But Superman can start buying superpowers right away no matter what.
Your stats are very similar to mine. Superman, Green Lantern, and Cyborg are my top 3 as well in terms of opinion and actual statistics. I agree that Batman requires a bit of luck with the line-up. Cards such as green arrow's bow, cape and cowl, and aquaman's trident are all very solid cards and get snatched up right away.

sc00bs
05-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Superman and Cyborg are both good because they can build fast off kicks, this is a regular staple in our house we usually play 3 times a week since it's release date, here's my $.02.

1) Aquaman
2) Superman
2) Cyborg
3) Flash
3) Green Lantern
5) Batman
6) Wonder Woman

I haven't had the chance to play with or against MM but +6 sounds pretty impressive!

Ironfist
05-16-2013, 10:15 PM
We all agree that any hero can win based on luck of the board. The boards we get never favor Superman. Rarely do they favor wonder woman, but when those villain boards start piling up she rolls. Overall, Aquaman can play any board , followed by cyborg because of versatility. It's also based on card luck, as I see Aquaman's trident devastate. Being able to put a just bought paralaxx on top of your deck is ridiculous. I see the trident as the most overpowered regular card, especially with cards able to get equipment from your discard pile.