PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts and some suggestions for future expansions

thedesertkid
03-25-2013, 12:03 AM
So I've played the game now a handful of times. Bottom line? I LOVE this game.

It is so nice to see a sincere effort made for something from the world of comics instead of just expecting to rake in the money because people (myself included) go crazy for anything comic related.

I dabbled in M:TG for a while but grew tired of shelling out big bucks just to stay moderately competitive. So I latched on to Ascension.

Ascension is a fine game. But I feel no connection to what is going on i.e. the background story isn't up to snuff for me.

Anyways, after playing the DC DBG several times I found myself getting greedy and wanting just a wee bit more. So I humbly offer the following requests for future expansions.

1) Do more with locations - add more, give them different abilities, and maybe even have them do specific things if they are paired with their corresponding hero. Also villain locations would be awesome.

2) Vary point values. A vast majority of cards are only 1 point. This makes the game feel a bit shallow when it comes time to tally points. I know they really want to push pursuing the super villains as the main goal but by varying point values you allow for extra strategy.

3) If a player is Batman for example and he defeats a super villain corresponding to his "world" e.g. the Joker there should be a bonus or event of some sort that occurs in addition to winning points.

4) Create weakness cards with specific effects aside from -1 point.

5) For the love of God improve the quality, art, and functionality of the box. For quality I suggest looking at Ascension. The boxes feel sturdy, heavy, and of a FAR superior quality as opposed to the DC card game box.

6) More card removal. It isn't for a lack of trying on the players part. But it gets pretty frustrating when you have three or four players all complaining halfway through the game about punches or vulnerabilities appearing frequently.

P.S. - Thank you for the time an effort poured into this amazing game. This product really shines in a market that has been growing rather stagnant (creatively).

Skinner
03-25-2013, 05:50 AM
Always good to see more people enjoying the game so much. :) Several specific responses:

1) Do more with locations - add more, give them different abilities, and maybe even have them do specific things if they are paired with their corresponding hero. Also villain locations would be awesome.
I'm not sure if Lord of the Rings is your thing, but if so, you'll be pleased to know that the Fellowship of the Ring game (out this week) has locations which are more diverse, both in cost and effect they grant. Some reduce the cost to purchase certain card types, others draw, etc.

2) Vary point values. A vast majority of cards are only 1 point. This makes the game feel a bit shallow when it comes time to tally points. I know they really want to push pursuing the super villains as the main goal but by varying point values you allow for extra strategy.
I like the 1VP base line for most cards. As you said, it encourages players to progress the game by desiring Super Villains and not stagnate or drag games on longer than they need to. It also allows for some strategic decision making still in my opinion, because when a 2+ VP card hits the line-up, it comes with a definite choice: for example, do you take Gorilla Grodd at 5 cost/2VP as a vanilla +power card, or do you spend your 5 power on a powerful 4 cost card or across two 1VP cards that have lower +power but have synergy with your deck?

3) If a player is Batman for example and he defeats a super villain corresponding to his "world" e.g. the Joker there should be a bonus or event of some sort that occurs in addition to winning points.
Neat idea, but would be tough to execute. There's only so much space for text on a card, afterall! It would probably require a whole separate function printed on the cards associating characters together, like they have done in Legendary, and then have a standing bonus to cards that match your "faction", if you will. But wouldn't any member of the Justice League be glad to help take down the Joker, even if he is "Batman's" nemesis? And aren't some of the villains not really associated with a specific character?

4) Create weakness cards with specific effects aside from -1 point.
Another interesting idea, but not really one that could be implimented without a major change to how they work, I think. If they just had powers on them, players would just never play them from their hand. They would need to be a stack of randomized face-down effects, with "when you gain this weakness, do X" type of things I think, and then still how many different effects could they have before it would get a bit repetitive/time consuming, especially when lots are being given out? Examples, a) Discard a card, b) Destroy a card, c) Opponent's draw a card... and then varrying degrees of each of those (quantity of cards discarded, for example)? Some would be far more detrimental than others, and not very balanced. Would also skyrocket the power level of cards like Scarecrow through the roof, to a likely unfun level.

5) For the love of God improve the quality, art, and functionality of the box. For quality I suggest looking at Ascension. The boxes feel sturdy, heavy, and of a FAR superior quality as opposed to the DC card game box.
You're referring to the box its self, not the storage tray inside the box? Eh, never even really crossed my mind as an issue personally; can't say I've ever thought my Ascension games particularly stood out, either. It's just a box.

6) More card removal. It isn't for a lack of trying on the players part. But it gets pretty frustrating when you have three or four players all complaining halfway through the game about punches or vulnerabilities appearing frequently.
Again a matter of opinion more than anything I guess, but I think they struck a great balance with card removal. Nth Metal as an early option, Heat Vision for a later option, with a few other 1-ofs in the deck like King of Atlantis and Lobo, and then some extras randomly found on Super Villains. Not having it in your deck doesn't feel, to me or anyone I play with, like as much of a detriment to your game as it does in some others (I'm looking at you, Ascension). We've played plenty of games where the player with the most number of destroyed starter cards doesn't win, and instead the player who did little-to-none still hits the high score. So while it's nice to have if you can get it, those cards don't feel as much like auto-buys to me, which I think is a good thing for the health of the game overall, so that games don't become a repetitive series of no real decision making. Meanwhile if you do want them, they again are well spaced out cost-wise to be reasonable buys both early and late game.