PDA

View Full Version : Custom Card Rulings

FuriousMILK
05-05-2013, 10:26 PM
If you don't know, I am a big fan of custom cards. One that I recently found happened to be a Larfleeze card. He's an interesting little bugger and when he flipped up I happened to have Blue Beetle in my hand, so here's how it went.

Larfleeze, First Appearance - Attack: Take all the cards in the line up and place them under Larfleeze. Add up the cost of all the cards under Larfleeze and add that number to the cost of Larfleeze (printed cost 0). Each defense prevents a card from being put under Larfleeze. (Of course this is all summed up and not the exact wording, though the thought would be the right one, he takes cards, you can stop him from getting them with defenses.)

Now, with that explanation, I'm sure you might summarize what I tried to do, do you all think you should be able to play Blue Beetle for each card in the line up, seeing as he pops back to your hand, or should you only be able to use him once? On top of that, if I had multiple defenses that actually discard, such as Lasso of Truth and Bulletproof, should I be able to defend multiple cards?

Lastly, can you defend one attack multiple times?

lightsout
05-06-2013, 12:38 PM
I'm relatively new to this game, but I'll give my thoughts:

Seeing as there's no breakdown/clarification of the BB card's power in the rule book, I would assume he could be used as many times as deemed necessary. (He isn't a cheap card, so it wouldn't be crazy to think he could be more "powerful"). If you were using "normal" defense cards, yes I would assume you could block as many of the cards Larfleeze is trying to "steal" as long as you have enough of them. Regarding your last point, is there a situation with the non-custom cards where a single attack would need to be blocked twice? Off the top of my head I don't think there is, so in your situation it seems as if the stealing of each card is treated as a separate transaction you would be able to block each of them if you are able to.

Semi off-topic. You said you "found" this custom card - I'm curious as to where, because thinking of creating my own cards/rules was what brought me to explore this forum more. (Especially the choice of Villains/Super-Villians in the original game...maybe it's just me but Captain Cold isn't in the league of the other SVs. Reverse Flash would have been a better (/more powerful) representative of Flash's rouge gallery). I would love to be inspired by the tried & true creations of other players.

FuriousMILK
05-06-2013, 01:10 PM
In terms of the necessity of defending one attack multiple times, there's no NEED to, no, but if you have defenses that draw you cards... well, why not draw some more cards?

As for your latter point, you could check the thread here, http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=19824 along with the threads around here, http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/125678/dc-comics-deck-building-game#forums . BGGeek isn't as organized as the home brew stuff here, but there's a lot of it. There is a central thread, but there are some others with people's own complete sets in the mix as well. I believe I found Larfleeze on BGG, but the thread here has some damn fine cards too.

lightsout
05-06-2013, 04:37 PM
If you're proposing choosing to defend Larfleeze's stealing with multiple cards (to allow yourself to draw more cards), I'd definitely agree.

Thanks for the BGG link! Yea, I just finished going through the Homebrew thread & there definitely were some gems I'll have to print (after I buy enough sleeves, haha)

lightsout
05-06-2013, 07:20 PM
ignore this :D

FuriousMILK
05-06-2013, 09:04 PM
No, as for Larfleeze, I was specifically asking if people think Blue Beetle should be able to defend ALL of the cards in the line up.

In terms of defending an attack once to draw more cards, that was for an attack in general.

Very welcome. That is the only pain I have with this game... besides getting SV shafted, buying more sleeves.

lightsout
05-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Ah okay. Then yea, I think he should be able to defend & return to your hand & ready to defend again as many times as you want.

Yea, for now I'm going to just print some new super-heros since they don't have to be played in any deck.

LunarKnite
05-07-2013, 11:21 PM
As the person who created Larfleeze, I actually meant it that each player can only defend one card. Blue Beetle does complicate things, but essentially Larfleeze's attack is just one attack, not multiple. So while Blue Beetle isn't discarded like other Defenses, he's unable to be used to defend more than one card from Larfleeze.

The card does say "Each Defense protects one card in the Line-Up", but you can only play one Defense as a response to Larfleeze, so that's how I see things.

FuriousMILK
05-08-2013, 12:05 AM
Alright, I suppose that answers both of my questions then.