PDA

View Full Version : The Races of HEX

Shaqattaq
05-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Lead Designer Ben Stoll takes you through the 8 races of HEX and gives you a look on how you can expect each race to feel, behave within the game.

http://hextcg.com/the-races-of-hex/

Hexmage
05-14-2013, 11:41 AM
So looking at this article we can see that only 4 races will be in the first set.

houjix
05-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Those 4 will be the focus of the majority not all of the cards. And this only the PVP portion.

slipperyjoe
05-14-2013, 08:49 PM
I guess we can speculate what shards the other races will cover.

Wild and sapphire for Coyotle anyone?

mauvebutterfly
05-14-2013, 09:07 PM
If you go on the main page you can check each shard type and it tells you which races make use of it.

Looks like the coyotle are Sapphire/Diamond/Wild.

Hexmage
05-16-2013, 07:41 AM
Orc = Blood and Ruby
Human = Diamond, Ruby and Sapphire
Elf = Wild only
Coyotle = Wild, Diamond and Sapphire

Dwarfs = Ruby and Sapphire with an additional focus on Artifacts
Shin'hare = Blood and Wild
Vennen = Blood only
Necrotic = Blood, Diamond and Sapphire

Thanisse
05-17-2013, 12:33 AM
it's funny how these things are made , because the 1 color races will have some oddities .
I am still not sure how things will be played , but am I right in the assumption that you won't be able to play elves and shin-hare together , or will you be able to do that , and faction is just cosmetic xD ?

houjix
05-17-2013, 06:55 AM
It's five colors and artifacts. Factions are mostly cosmetic as it pertains to colors at least as it pertains to PVP. There could be some PVE instances that might preclude some combinations.

Kami
05-17-2013, 07:15 AM
I'm curious if Dwarves are the only ones who use artifacts or if the other races have their own artifacts as well.

Vengus
05-17-2013, 10:19 AM
I'm curious if Dwarves are the only ones who use artifacts or if the other races have their own artifacts as well.
Well it looks like Dwarves got all the Artifact support cards but the artifacts themselves seem to be pretty splashable apart from a few. I guess since it is possible to mix races in a deck there's no need for multiple races that support artifacts.

Kami
05-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Well it looks like Dwarves got all the Artifact support cards but the artifacts themselves seem to be pretty splashable apart from a few. I guess since it is possible to mix races in a deck there's no need for multiple races that support artifacts.

I had meant mostly in terms of the story/lore, heh.

Thanisse
05-17-2013, 12:03 PM

from what I gathered it's perfectly ok to have a blue coyotle , dwarf , human and undead in the same deck that uses blue shards .
the problem will be that the dwarf will try to powerup artefacts , the human will try to powerup other humans , the coyotle will try to do his thing and the undead the same (dunno about these 2, but seems each race will have a niche )

from what I gathered , shinhare have tokens and sacrificing tokens , humans have pumping up other humans with inspire effects , the orcs have rage and generally agressive alies and dwarves make artefacts do extra stuff :)

the other 4 races will be featured next block most likely xD .... but I am sure there will be plenty PvE cards related to those races.

again I am quite interested how drafting elves will work out if they have only one color , since it's extremely improbable to make a mono deck in limited , even if you were to blend it with shinhare :P

houjix
05-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Your going to need to divorce yourself from story theme a little bit when drafting and focus on cards that are good. You're not really drafting elves, humans, orcs, you're drafting Wild, Sapphire, Ruby. Even if I've drafted several Elf related cards, I'm not going to pass up a good Shin'hare card since I'm already invested in having a deck that will use Wild resources. Synergy and deck cohesion is way more important than story when it comes to draft. I don't care if the Elves and Shin'hare have been involved in a 1000 year war, they share a resource.

Thanisse
05-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Your going to need to divorce yourself from story theme a little bit when drafting and focus on cards that are good. You're not really drafting elves, humans, orcs, you're drafting Wild, Sapphire, Ruby. Even if I've drafted several Elf related cards, I'm not going to pass up a good Shin'hare card since I'm already invested in having a deck that will use Wild resources. Synergy and deck cohesion is way more important than story when it comes to draft. I don't care if the Elves and Shin'hare have been involved in a 1000 year war, they share a resource.

when it comes to draft I couldn't care less about their love for each other :P
but I am still not sure how much they want this faction LOVE to affect the cards .

I presume you've drafted the last block of wow tcg , and I am curious if they will make the faction matter as much as it matters in wow draft , especially humans and elves . it's waaay more powerful to have only humans or only elves for some reasons , or at least minimize the other race to the cards that are really all around good .

Erebus
05-17-2013, 01:29 PM
The Dwarven Drafting article brought this into light. The Inspire mechanic says nothing about "human" in the text, it just says troops.

This means you can run a dwarf deck and then splash in a couple suitable inspiring humans for effect.

Thanisse
05-17-2013, 02:21 PM
The Dwarven Drafting article brought this into light. The Inspire mechanic says nothing about "human" in the text, it just says troops.

This means you can run a dwarf deck and then splash in a couple suitable inspiring humans for effect.

noted :)

Vengus
05-17-2013, 04:27 PM
I had meant mostly in terms of the story/lore, heh.
In that case, keep an eye on the Elves, they might have something to do with the artifacts aswell judging from this excerpt on the lore page of the dwarves:

Like the elves, dwarves are master craftsmen. However, unlike the elves, who create objects of beauty, the dwarves create machines of devastation.
So maybe Elves got artifacts that are more supportive instead of destructive.

Thanisse
05-18-2013, 01:21 AM
So maybe Elves got artifacts that are more supportive instead of destructive.

good eye :)
it would go a long way to have at least some support for artefacts in the other colors as well

OrpheusOverdrive
08-13-2013, 08:16 AM
I'm curious about something. The Dwarven card Journeyman Technician Says "You pay [1] less to play artifacts". I'm assuming, because it doesn't explicitly state in the card text, that this means you can potentially bring the cost of artifacts down to 0. In his interview with Angry Joe(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VUn3gOclMc), at 12:31 in the interview he EXPLICITLY states that "Nothing will reduce the cost of a card to zero". What gives? Is there some overarching rule hardwired into the game that disallows ANY card's cost being reduced to zero? If not then what sounds like an over all design caveat it being broken almost immediately by this card. I apologize if this has been discussed before but it seems like this has somehow slipped through the cracks. Any enlightenment would be welcome.

Poolboy
08-20-2013, 08:57 AM
I'm by no means an expert but I would assume that costs can be reduced to 1 resource at the lowest. This allows it to still be very effective without breaking the game where you could theoretically drop a full hand into play due to no resources needed.

Also I thought artif,acts were colorless? While the majority are dwarven I'm sure there are a few for every race if not n the beginning then added later.

Zomnivore
08-23-2013, 08:15 AM
Necrotic = Blood, Diamond and Sapphire

I can't imagine the beings made out of the hex shards not also including the ruby shard at all.

I guess they might have limited them off ruby just for a higher distinction of style.

OrpheusOverdrive
08-23-2013, 07:07 PM
I'm by no means an expert but I would assume that costs can be reduced to 1 resource at the lowest. This allows it to still be very effective without breaking the game where you could theoretically drop a full hand into play due to no resources needed.

Also I thought artif,acts were colorless? While the majority are dwarven I'm sure there are a few for every race if not n the beginning then added later.

Yeah but there is a card spoiled right now(can't remember it off hand) that with the right equipment explicitly states in the text that it will reduce cost to "0". I wish they would clear this up.