PDA

View Full Version : Deck Restrictions due to the factions?

Storm_Fireblade
05-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Its 1:15am here, so the answer might be obvious and I just need to get some rest, but are there any restrictions while building a deck due to the factions? Meaning, that you are limited to the cards of a single faction, because the story prevents a deck with ardent and underworld cards from making any sense?

Thanks a lot :)

kirkwb
05-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Hello, no, there are no restrictions for Factions in Deckbuilding. For example you can mix Bunnies with Orcs in a Blood deck, even though story wise they are enemies.

Fireblast
05-08-2013, 04:26 PM
It's the same restrictions as MtG it seems, since there is a threshold for cards, you need to have the right mana "color"

~

Storm_Fireblade
05-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Due to the similarities with MtG i thought so myself, yeah. But I still wanted to be sure, thanks :)

Sporky11
05-08-2013, 04:31 PM
I like the idea of all mana being colorless but cards requiring a threshold value. It should make deck building multiple colors easier.

Fireblast
05-08-2013, 05:02 PM
I like the idea of all mana being colorless but cards requiring a threshold value. It should make deck building multiple colors easier.

Should also avoid dual-lands shenanigans :)

~

kirkwb
05-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Well, there are Hex Versions of Dual/Multi lands. Like a card that when you play it, you choose which Gem Threshold you want, and it ups your Resource value for the next turn and turns beyond, but doesn't give you a mana to spend on the turn you play it.

(I probably mangled the game specific lingo for this, but you get the idea)

Storm_Fireblade
05-09-2013, 01:30 AM
I'm still wondering one thing though. Hex will provide us with a PvE-TCG experience and this does include storytelling etc. Are we going to see restrictions regarding the factions for PvE-decks maybe? I kind of could argue for both sides right now. On one side, it might not be a good idea to limit people in their deck building options, while on the other side it might feel strange to experience the story with a deck that does include troops of both factions.

Blare731
05-09-2013, 06:36 AM
Honestly, I think that it would be a good idea to have restrictions based on factions if you follow a true pve story. If you can only group up with people in your faction following the same story it would make sense. But if it is just a general story and then dungeons with bosses etc. It wouldn't really matter at that point, but I do hope for the former.

Storm_Fireblade
05-09-2013, 06:42 AM
I do hope so too, Blare731. If you advertise the game with the combination of TCG and MMO and highlight PvE / Storytelling, then you should - even in TCG-based gameplay - remember, that the story and its factions are important. I want all the options imaginable, while building my deck for PvP, but experiencing the story, while playing a deck of coyotles and shin'hares somehow seems absolutely strange to me :)

Fireblast
05-09-2013, 09:03 AM
CZE is producing WOWTCG which is faction based so don't worry about that :)

~

OP_Kyle
05-09-2013, 09:25 AM
I'm still wondering one thing though. Hex will provide us with a PvE-TCG experience and this does include storytelling etc. Are we going to see restrictions regarding the factions for PvE-decks maybe? I kind of could argue for both sides right now. On one side, it might not be a good idea to limit people in their deck building options, while on the other side it might feel strange to experience the story with a deck that does include troops of both factions.

There will be some dungeons and some reputations that are only available to one or the other faction, but for the most part we do allow both factions to do most of the PvE content. There is no division on the PvP-side of things.

Storm_Fireblade
05-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Thanks a lot for the clarification, Kyle. Its nice to hear that at least some dungeons/reputations are limited to a single faction, because this indicates there is a story behind it :)

Blare731
05-09-2013, 09:35 AM
So now that we know your faction is important to the story, is there going to be any restrictions on deck-building in terms of factions in PvE?

OP_Kyle
05-09-2013, 09:40 AM
So now that we know your faction is important to the story, is there going to be any restrictions on deck-building in terms of factions in PvE?

We don't want to create a situation where you don't feel you can complete something while playing the faction/race you love. So we don't want to put restrictions on deckbuilding to faction. There will be some cards that give benefits to faction, but no negatives/restrictions/penalties.

Blare731
05-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Thank you for the clarification. That seems like a good alternative as well. I could see how it is beneficial to not limit deck building but try to add perks to keeping within your faction.

ShaolinRaven
05-10-2013, 09:49 PM
For PvE I think that it should be more open for a champion just starting out, but as you start choosing sides and factions you should be rewarded with expanded faction cards for those factions and also be restricted from cards that are tagged for opposing factions. I like my choices to have some boons and some consequences.