PDA

View Full Version : TCG comparisons?

Xenavire
05-08-2013, 06:24 PM
From what I have seen, this game looks fantastic, and I just have to ask a nagging question, aimed mostly at the Devs (who are most likely to know)... How close is this to Magic the Gathering? I am an old hand at Magic, and it is one of my favourite TCG formats, and this seems to be a near-clone (which can only mean good things! I have already seen improvements!)

So my question is basically, what are the MAJOR changes? I see land/resources, what seems like 5-colour with artifacts, spells, and other permanents, legendary (in terms of mechanics), and more, but where do the similarities end?

I mean, the introduction information is rather lacking apart from what I have already mentioned. Will players have a life total like in Magic? (From what I gather, this is a given, but how much life? 10? 20? 50?)

And lastly, I am seriously considering helping with the kickstart, but with so few videos out at THIS point (I realise there will be more shortly), I can't see enough gameplay, or other features, to make my decision.
Sooo.... I have to say, a big deciding factor for me, right now, is when the Beta invites start, and how they will be handled? (If nothing is set in stone, I understand, but considering the rewards are listed as being delivered by September, I thought it can't hurt to ask.)

Lastly, I have 3 friends I would want to play with, will raids ever involve more than 3 people?

kirkwb
05-08-2013, 06:29 PM
The 2nd video here is a Gameplay video (http://www.dailymetagame.com/Articles/ArticleDetail/tabid/68/ArticleId/615/New-Game-Horizon-HEX-MMO-Trading-Card-Game.aspx). That should clear it up a bit.

I'll leave your other ?s to Devs.

OP_Kyle
05-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Hey Xenavire,

Let me fire over some answers for you :-)

There are some similarities to other games you've likely played, but there are some major differences as well. One thing that we've made sure to do is innovate with digital mechanics that just can't be done in a physical game. For instance: we an Inspire mechanic that can be seen here: http://hextcg.com/ruby/ on the Ryby Pyromancer. We also have mechanics like Escalate and Rage that we'll detail in the coming days. Additionally, the gems and gear that can inherently change the way a card works, and puts some design power into the player's hands is amazing.

As for needing more info, we hear you. There are so many incredible features of this game that we need to tell you about, but don't want to also overload you with, that we have to make choices on the flow of info so things don't get lost in the shuffle. Every day during the Kickstarter campaign we'll be giving you new info and expand on the detail of the features. Stay tuned!

Have you seen the gameplay video? You can watch it here: http://hextcg.com/howtoplay/
You'll see that you have a Champion that has a life total and special charge power it can use.

I can't lock down a certain Beta invite date for you, but if you back the Kickstarter campaign you will be in the Beta, and we'll send invites out to the email address that are collected from the Kickstarter pledges.

Currently raids can have 3 people, but we very well could have more than that in future raids.

Xenavire
05-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Wow, seeing that gameplay video, and my experience with MTG just let me follow it flawlessly. I am loving the obvious advantages it has over MTG - the mana and threshold is fantastic, the champion is a big change and much more dynamic.

I do want to ask about other permanents - I see that some spells have permanent effects, but do you have enchantment style cards (using MTG lingo, a permanent that is not an eartifact, cannot generally be tapped, and has a constant effect)?
I have seen you have atifacts, which could potentially cover the role anyway, but I didn't see any in-play during that demonstration, and it has left me very curious.

I am seeing this, in simple terms, to be Magic evolved - the bones of the game think the same way as magic does, then the whole concept is expanded, and fleshed out with ideas that Magic could never handle, to make something that looks amazing.

I do have another question, related somewhat to Magic - do the colours have a set role? From what I have seen, it seems identical, green about having lots of mana, lots of monsters, and some really big ones (evolution looks great!) and red with burning and hasty monsters - should I assume blue will be control, black about destruction and defiling the opponents monsters/cards in hand, etc, and white about protection and healing?

If so, I could make some educated guesses, and plot out ideas for what I might play already...

Fireblast
05-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Their website covers your questions :

Card types : http://hextcg.com/card-overview/

They explain all "colors" too on the subsections

~

Xenavire
05-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Yeah, I was just noticing that, I had sorta skimmed over that part, looking for differences rather than similarities, and it does look rather copy/paste (a huge benifit for someone like myself, making understanding how to construct a deck much easier).

But I am not convinced about my first question - unless constants are the direct equal to enchantments? I guess the new terminology is getting me a little confused.

I am only seeing positive things however, and it has even fixed some of my major gripes about MTG, so I think I will be supporting the kickstarter once I figure out my spending limit and the rewards I want to shoot for.

EDIT: Actually, I have something to ask on the topic of colours - I already see some staple MTG effects on cards (haste, first strike) and I see a few new ones (rage I think was around, but in a different form, and not as well done). Will other staples be back (trample, flying, immunities, etc)?

EDIT2: Another thought occurs to me, seperate from the colours question - could a card potentially have a high threshold, but a low resource cost? Say a wild troop needs one mana, but you can't play it until you have 3 wild threshold?

Fireblast
05-08-2013, 07:41 PM
The terminology is actually less confusing that the mtg one.
Constant stay there, Troop is a guy/girl/thing that attacks/blocks, basicaction is a sorcery, quickaction is an instant.

From what I've seen so far the wording is very clear and intuitive.

About your EDIT1 : Flight (Flying) and Crush (I'm guessing Trample) are already present on some cards' screenshots.
There will be the same basic keywords as in all TCGs and some new ones as new sets arise.

About your EDIT2 : It's technically possible, now the designers will surprise us for sure.

~

Xenavire
05-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I have been scouring every inch of the website looking for info, and I am finding out all sorts of interesting things. And I see already that one of the exclusive kickstarter cards can have zero cost, but has a threshold of 2 sapphire - so it could technically go into say, a blue/red burn/draw deck and go a little crazy.

Fireblast
05-08-2013, 07:49 PM
There is also the Princess that cost 0 on turn1 but still has a threshold of 1 diamond :)

~

Xenavire
05-08-2013, 08:14 PM
I am already plotting ideas - a good sign. That princess is pretty fancy too, not a bad little setup for first turn.

I do have one last question, I can't find a clear comment on where equipment is found - are they from booster packs, dungeons, quests, something else? Or even a mixture of all of the things I have mentioned?

It is especially interesting to me to know how to get the equipment for the exclusive cards from kickstarter - I am looking at a particular tier, and am interested in how much it will pay off, and how quickly, if at all.