PDA

View Full Version : Updates and Evolution of the Game

Venom_424
05-08-2013, 08:05 PM
So I've never been a very dedicated TCG player but I've learned how to play a few and gave them a shot and I thoroughly enjoyed them.

My issue comes into play with how updates to game play will be handled. To clarify, what I understand with a lot of card games, cards can be retired or can become too powerful and be banned from use in competitive play.

Will cards be toned down or nerfed / buffed if needed?

Will my digital cards I buy ever become useless in PvP?
If so will I be reimbursed with some credit or something?

Soken
05-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Im curious about this as well. Is there going to be a ban/restrict list, or is the format going to rotate out, will all cards always be available.

S117
05-08-2013, 09:25 PM
From what I've seen there are cards legal for PVE that are not for PVP...Including (for the most part) equipment...

Venom_424
05-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Yea I don't mind the specific PvE cards and the lack of equipment in PvP ... I get the need to keep things balanced, but if I buy a card for PvP (whether individually or in a booster pack) I don't want it to be taken from me by it becoming useless.

Basically will cards that are Legal PvP cards opening game day be legal a year or two later?

It'd just kill me to think a digital card I own becomes nothing more than a picture to look at when I log on to the game. I'm really not interested in a lot of PvE so even if they retired some cards from PvP to PvE only I'd still be pretty bummed out.

Soken
05-09-2013, 10:20 AM
I would really like to know this as well. Hope to get a rsp, its a pretty important part of the game

heatzz
05-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Well that may comes to crafting or merchant it, some games do it by crafting as means of dissemble it to components and craft it to another card or selling it to trading house or instant sold to merchant for quick in-game cash.

OP_Kyle
05-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Yea I don't mind the specific PvE cards and the lack of equipment in PvP ... I get the need to keep things balanced, but if I buy a card for PvP (whether individually or in a booster pack) I don't want it to be taken from me by it becoming useless.

Basically will cards that are Legal PvP cards opening game day be legal a year or two later?

It'd just kill me to think a digital card I own becomes nothing more than a picture to look at when I log on to the game. I'm really not interested in a lot of PvE so even if they retired some cards from PvP to PvE only I'd still be pretty bummed out.

Right now we are planning for a two-block format, and an "everything" format. We do plan on revisiting this as we get closer to the third block. Your cards will always be usable in PvE :-)

ModernDarwinist
05-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Can't help but wonder if we couldn't get a digital checklist for the blocks. Playing WoWTCG for so long it gets very disappointing to have to get new quest cards, low level minion cards or just very basic cards with every new set. Would it be possible to just have the blocks enable and disable certain cards instead of removing the entire set? This could also avoid having to reintroduce cards later on like the WoW class starter decks and the Archives set did.

Fireblast
05-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Rotative format pros :
- Mix things up and keep the metagame interesting
- Powercreeping is not as necessary
- New players can catch up easily

Rotative format cons :
- I don't get to use anymore my "old cards"
- My favorite deck/combo doesn't exist anymore

If Classic is dead in WoW TCG it is because
- It was very hard for new players to get the cards
- Only OverPowered cards were usable, as all the rest was powercreeped anyway
- They wanted to adjust the pace of the game, bad quests and good abilities / allies
- (and the fact that CZE is not UDE :p)

To sum up, I hope HEX will not powercreep as much as WOWTCG did!

~

Fireblast
05-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Can't help but wonder if we couldn't get a digital checklist for the blocks. Playing WoWTCG for so long it gets very disappointing to have to get new quest cards, low level minion cards or just very basic cards with every new set. Would it be possible to just have the blocks enable and disable certain cards instead of removing the entire set? This could also avoid having to reintroduce cards later on like the WoW class starter decks and the Archives set did.

I'm guessing the Deck Building interface will tell you what you can or can not play :)
Reprints are used for new players to catch up.

~

OP_Kyle
05-09-2013, 12:46 PM
I'm guessing the Deck Building interface will tell you what you can or can not play :)

~

Yea, you'll just need to click a button and it will show you the available cards for the format you're building for.

I <3 Technology!

Makaiya
05-09-2013, 01:56 PM

~

I think the question Darwin was trying to ask was if they will just be selective with cards that are phased out from legal play. Will we be able to use all of our old cards as long as they do not conflict with the current themes of the game or will it be based only on the last two blocks that have been released? It can be very annoying to have spent money on cards and then come back months later to find that nothing you have is useable in tournament play. While I understand this as a business model for card games, it does seem to be dated for a digital format.

OP_Kyle
05-09-2013, 04:56 PM
I think the question Darwin was trying to ask was if they will just be selective with cards that are phased out from legal play. Will we be able to use all of our old cards as long as they do not conflict with the current themes of the game or will it be based only on the last two blocks that have been released? It can be very annoying to have spent money on cards and then come back months later to find that nothing you have is useable in tournament play. While I understand this as a business model for card games, it does seem to be dated for a digital format.

I believe it will be a true 2-block rotation. However, we'll discuss internally as we get closer to that point.

Xenavire
05-09-2013, 05:01 PM
I think the best model is probably to have core blocks, that stick around for a very long time, and cycle out expansion blocks.

That way, someone who bought all the core block cards can still play in the newer blocks, and can play catchup easier. It also has advantages, as you can plan out the expansions however you want, and not having to worry if it conflicts with the previous block - as long as it fits with the core block it will work, more or less.

WWKnight
05-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Well, we gotta try and figure out what the definition of a "long time" is dont we?

I think if you followed MtG's standard of block rotation (3 sets a year, 2 blocks per standard) as you seem to be doing, then there isnt a problem. Not only is this a TCG where this issue comes up a lot, but its also an MMO, where this issue is par for the course too.

You cant play WoW and take a break for 2 years and come back and still be ready to play with your current gear. Thats not how the genre works.

So when you merge the two genres that require frequent updates, you cant be surprised when you come back after a two year break and be behind the 8-ball. A few months is fine, at worst you will be behind a set or two, but all your cards will still be available.

I dont see this as much of a problem, personally.

Mehlo
05-09-2013, 06:39 PM
It keeps things fresh, and lowers the barrier on new players entering the game, they dont have some odd years worth of cards to find to be viable at all.

Xenavire
05-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Actually, I had a thought - they have different tiers of tournament already, could they just add a level of tournament with outdated blocks, and have a choice in rewards for the winner - new cards, or cards from that older block. Returning people would be able to work for it, and some people may not like the new blocks and choose to stay behind. They will miss out on current tournaments, but they have the choice.

Would this work? Or am I missing something important? (Before you say they need to buy new packs, it relies on WINNING, against 8 or more people, so it wont be something you can just farm.)

Or have some kind of low-end starter sets to get people started, per block, a one off freebie every block to keep you up to date.
That one means more of a free ride though...

WWKnight
05-09-2013, 06:56 PM
I think there should be some PvP cards available from PvE content, to create a bridge over teh void that would otherwise be very scary.

I am NOT one to champion freebies, as I like to EARN my rewards, but if you could earn in-game currency that allowed you a booster pack a week, or something similar, I think that would be a great way to do it.

nearlysober
05-09-2013, 07:03 PM
I would imagine that most cards earned from within the game (aside from equipment), will be eligible for all methods of play, PVE & PVP.

I think we're putting too much emphasis on how they've revealed some "PVE Only" cards with the kickstarter. But they're doing that so they don't give us kickstarters dont have an unfair tournament advantage because we shelled out extra money.

Xenavire
05-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Yeah, the freebie thing was kind of an afterthought, but if it is a few staple cards it might not hurt. I would prefer the first option really, working to catch up, but not being forced to invest moeny into a block of cards you may or may not like - perhaps you had stopped the PvP sode and did PvE while waiting fora new block, and you come back only to find out the new one os worse, and that took 50 euros to figure out?

Could be pretty discouraging.

But earning it? No downsides I can see so far.

EDIT: nealysober, they have already confimed in a few threads that they wll keep PvE cards out of PvP, although PvP cards can be used in PvE. Balance issues most likely, so PvE can be stronger and crazier without hurting PvP.

WWKnight
05-09-2013, 07:46 PM
I would imagine that most cards earned from within the game (aside from equipment), will be eligible for all methods of play, PVE & PVP.

I think we're putting too much emphasis on how they've revealed some "PVE Only" cards with the kickstarter. But they're doing that so they don't give us kickstarters dont have an unfair tournament advantage because we shelled out extra money.

No, its been confirmed that PvE cards are for PvE, and PvP cards for PvP (and PvE).

Yasi
05-24-2013, 06:17 AM
It's going to suck so hard if the updates only roll out once every few months.