PDA

View Full Version : Questions: Ingame Currency

Storm_Fireblade
05-09-2013, 01:54 AM
On the Dungeons & Raids Page (http://hextcg.com/game/dungeons-raids/) it says you can gain an amount of gold depending on your success.

A: Is gold the only currency ingame? Or will we have silver, platin....as well?

B: Will it actually be possible to complete tons of PvE Dungeons & Raids, thereby collecting lots of gold, which then can be used to buy boosters and cards from the Auction House? Which means people could avoid to have to spend real money everytime they want to increase their collection, since thats something many people dislike?!

C: Is ingame currency only usable in trades / auction house? I guess we will see some form for official shop, where you can buy boosters for $2 etc. Will there be a gold-price for those as well or is gold limited to player transactions?

Thanks again :)

Littlejon24
05-09-2013, 11:02 AM
I'm highly curious on this as well

OP_Kyle
05-09-2013, 11:13 AM
On the Dungeons & Raids Page (http://hextcg.com/game/dungeons-raids/) it says you can gain an amount of gold depending on your success.

A: Is gold the only currency ingame? Or will we have silver, platin....as well?

B: Will it actually be possible to complete tons of PvE Dungeons & Raids, thereby collecting lots of gold, which then can be used to buy boosters and cards from the Auction House? Which means people could avoid to have to spend real money everytime they want to increase their collection, since thats something many people dislike?!

C: Is ingame currency only usable in trades / auction house? I guess we will see some form for official shop, where you can buy boosters for $2 etc. Will there be a gold-price for those as well or is gold limited to player transactions?

Thanks again :)

A: There is Gold (in-game currency) and Platinum (premium currency).

B: You won't be able to purchase boosters with Gold through the store. Gold will be able to be spent in the Auction House to purchase cards you need from people that list items for Gold. Additionally, you'll be able to grow your collection with PvE card and gear drops in dungeons and raids.

C: Gold can be used for vendors, auction house, trades, Keep defense, and a variety of other things we're working on. The in-game store requires Platinum.

CMCrossman
05-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Just a question on the subject of the two different currencies, in some games users are able to buy and sell their premium currencies for the in game currencies, does hex have something like this in mind as well ?

OP_Kyle
05-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Just a question on the subject of the two different currencies, in some games users are able to buy and sell their premium currencies for the in game currencies, does hex have something like this in mind as well ?

You can purchase gold with platinum, but not the other way around.

Devaux
05-09-2013, 11:42 AM
C: Gold can be used for vendors, auction house, trades, Keep defense, and a variety of other things we're working on. The in-game store requires Platinum.

Is Keep Defense like a dungeon or something?

OP_Kyle
05-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Is Keep Defense like a dungeon or something?

It is an offline play mode that will have a full write up in the next few days. Basically, you can attack another player's Keep, trying to win their treasure, if you lose, the fee you pay to challenge them is added to the treasure (and the owner of the keep gets a cut). If you win you get all the rewards they put in their treasure. It's a robust system that I'm just not doing justice to. Keep an eye out for the full article.

Soken
05-09-2013, 11:48 AM
So can you can sell your cards for premium and real money currency?

OP_Kyle
05-09-2013, 11:56 AM
So can you can sell your cards for premium and real money currency?

Yes.

Fireblast
05-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Yes.

But can you check out the real money currency back to your IRL account?

~

nearlysober
05-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Glad to hear multiple options are being considered. Being able to buy a specific card for cash is no different than buying it off another player or hobby shop at a physical tourney, and is important to people who may not be interested in the pve side.

Most competitive tournament (pvp) players will want to be able to buy cards with money. They theorycraft decks and buy the exact cards they need rather than buying boosters to try to find them, it's more cost effective. And these people may not be interested in running dungeons to collect gold, they might just want to compete only in pvp and be willing to pay out of pocket like they would a "traditional" tcg.

MaximumSquid
05-09-2013, 02:55 PM
I have no doubt this game will have success at a casual gaming level. . .

What I'm really interested in now is if it can bridge the gap into competitive play without losing too many players in the process

To be more blunt, I've seen tons of games offering PvP that are unbalanced jokes with pay2win schemes on top of that
With the level of complexity Hex is offering balance is immediately on the minds of many

Guess we'll have to wait and see. . .
...and hopefully before the Kickstarter ends

nearlysober
05-09-2013, 03:08 PM
As long as they don't let you buy specific power boosts... then "pvp" should be like any other real-world TCG game.

For example, in the first block of WoWTCG there were some rare cards that were very powerful in certain decks that were popular. Those cards were going for crazy prices on eBay at the time due to their rarity and power. Players willing to shell out the money could build those popular powerful decks... or you could just try to get lucky with boosters.

So... there will always be advantage available to those willing to pay for a rare powerful card that someone else pulled out of a booster... it's part of the reality of any TCG. But those cards are not "must haves"... you could just build a different deck.

Fireblast
05-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Balance in TCGs come from the metagame.
It's a pay2win game as it is a TCG...

~

WWKnight
05-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Yeah, the nature of the TCG beast is Pay2Win, and there really isnt anything that can be done to avoid that. If it bothers you, you arent in the right hobby :-(

Fireblast
05-09-2013, 04:17 PM
The plan in a TCG is to Pay2Win and get the investment back thanks to prize support, as in poker :)

~

Xenavire
05-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Well, thats where you guys aren't looking at the big picture - for PvP players, most of them will try to Pay2Win, but we haven't seen what PvE might do to change that. There are avenues to get what you want that a normal TCG do not have, and we have yet to see what kind of effect that might have.

It might just be that the person who puts the most time in, may end up with the better stuff, and better stuff means better chances to win.
It also doesn't take into account how you get gems etc - if the only way to earn those are through PvE for whatever reason, a lot of people will have to play PvE to earn it and keep up with the rest, and wont just be able to buy victories (unless they luck out on the AH).

There is also levelling and all sorts of other dynamic things we haven't seen in action yet. I have hope that it wont be pay2win.

OP_Kyle
05-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Well, thats where you guys aren't looking at the big picture - for PvP players, most of them will try to Pay2Win, but we haven't seen what PvE might do to change that. There are avenues to get what you want that a normal TCG do not have, and we have yet to see what kind of effect that might have.

It might just be that the person who puts the most time in, may end up with the better stuff, and better stuff means better chances to win.
It also doesn't take into account how you get gems etc - if the only way to earn those are through PvE for whatever reason, a lot of people will have to play PvE to earn it and keep up with the rest, and wont just be able to buy victories (unless they luck out on the AH).

There is also levelling and all sorts of other dynamic things we haven't seen in action yet. I have hope that it wont be pay2win.

Couple quick answers. PvP is isolated from PvE. Things you earn in PvE will not impact your PvP experience as we want to make sure PvP is well balanced and people are on an even footing. Also, Gems are not something you have to collect, they are like the resources in that you just have access to all you need during deck construction.

Hope that helps.

Ashenor
05-09-2013, 04:56 PM
People have to get it out of there mind that free2play is free. This is a card collecting TCG with draft sets and different formats. If you are looking for a totally free game, look elsewhere!

Mehlo
05-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Not exactly Ashenor. If all you want is the pve mmo aspects, it's free. If you want to pay for a booster or two to get some new cards for your pve, that's that. And if you want to play pvp or competitive it's a pay game, just like any other ccg.

Xenavire
05-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Ah, but it is free to play, and no-one has to pay subscriptions, no-one has to BUY boosters, etc... And if boosters packs are ever for sale in the AH for in-game currency, not real money, ANY player could participate just by being dedicated, and even beat those paying for it.

It is just up to how the devs are handling it.

Speaking of Devs, thanks for the clarifying Kyle, I wasn't aware of the gem thing, and knowing cards you earn in PvE aren't eligible in PvP (ever, barring the exceptions for fun) is handy. Too bad you can't earn some PvP stuff by playing PvE, I won't know how to divide my time to get the most out of the game.

WWKnight
05-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Which is an excellent business model, if you ask me!

Im really a bit upset that some PvE only cards are PvE only. Like the 2/1 knight that mills the opponent when it attacks and summons something out of thier GY when ti dies. What is the reasoning behind that being PvE only? Seems like an amazing card!

Mehlo
05-09-2013, 05:56 PM
Probably the sheer awesomeness for a two cost. A lot of the pve exclusives i seem have to have powerful effects for a comparitvly low cost, and the sheer OP awesomeness of the spectral lotus.....

Xenavire
05-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Well, to be fair, I think they could do PvE sets, and the siccessful ones could be reprinted in PvP sets - that way they can go a little crazy, and see what works.

So maybe that knight might be reprinted in a PvP set sometime!

MaximumSquid
05-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Plenty of "cosmetic only" pay models out there for F2P games. . . don't be so narrow in your views; it's counter productive

With regards to the split game would two accounts be preferable for most players then?
Selling off collections is a pretty common occurrence for TCGs anyway. . . might be good to be ahead of the curve on this one

...and by that I mean have support for account mergers and such when people are ready for a break and are selling off their lot

Boojum
05-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Things you earn in PvE will not impact your PvP experience.

Does this mean that when doing PvE content you will never get additional "normal" cards as a reward?

I understand that equipment and such are PvE-exclusive, and that nothing legal in PvP will ever be only available through PvE. But can someone who plays a lot of dungeons but doesn't buy boosters eventually build up a decent collection of normal set cards to build decks from?

Mehlo
05-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Hate to say it, but I'm kinda glad they dont give pvp stuff from pve. It would reduce the value of the pvp cards, and for people like me that like to do draft and limited, and then sell off the cards to fund my "habit" i like that value wont be affected by that.

OP_Kyle
05-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Does this mean that when doing PvE content you will never get additional "normal" cards as a reward?

I understand that equipment and such are PvE-exclusive, and that nothing legal in PvP will ever be only available through PvE. But can someone who plays a lot of dungeons but doesn't buy boosters eventually build up a decent collection of normal set cards to build decks from?

We want to make sure that cards you get in PvE are from PvE-features and cards you get for PvP are from boosters. We need to be sure not to cause confusion for players. The message of "Everything you need for PvP can be found in boosters" streamlines the communication and gives the players a clear direction to proceed. Once they have that clear direction, and start exploring things as they are comfortable, they'll learn where all the other bells and whistles come from. On the other side, being able to say "Go run some dungeons and raids and you'll get more cards you can play in dungeons and raids" is also a very clear message.

HEX is full of incredibly awesome features! Creating simple signposts for players to start will help make good experience for any player that is not as up to speed as all of you :-)

Daer
05-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Gold you earn in PVE could always be used to buy booster packs off the AH couldn't it? That would allow someone who mainly plays PVE to get PVP cards.

Mehlo
05-09-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm guessing it could Daer, just the rates would be kind of high, like any in game currency to real cash item comparison. plus even the fact that it's possible will draw in gold farmers.

WWKnight
05-09-2013, 06:19 PM
What will Gold be used for, then, really?

Im having a hard time marrying the concept of MMO and TCG together. Im sure the answers are obvious, im just not picking up on them yet!

Mehlo
05-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Same thing gold is used for a standard MMO i'm guessing, equipment, cards, rep rewards, plus the things like the keeps they've talked about.

WWKnight
05-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Oh yeah, I didnt mention how sweet that sounded! Im very keen on seeing that in action.

Doesnt sound like it from the description, but id love for them to find a way to marry Tower Defense gameplay and TCG's together (My initial thought when they said Keep Defense)

Mehlo
05-09-2013, 06:29 PM
It sounds more like how a couple of ccgs on facebook and such do it, where you set up a deck for other people to beat, and get prizes when they lose against it.

WWKnight
05-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Yeah, whcih still sounds awesome fun! What games do this? First ive heard of the concept!

Mehlo
05-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Warzone, Conquest, a couple others. And as cool as the concept sounds, these games re resoundingly meh at best, so i wouldnt bother with them. They are technically ccgs, but for the most part you just make a deck and it auto plays, and you can buy just flat better cards then any other.

WWKnight
05-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Yeah, thats my experience in general with dTCG. Which is why Im very excited in this new age of hex, IW and (maybe) Hearthstone. Kings and Legends was fun until I hit the pay wall and had no way of beating others who had climbed it (around level 40).