PDA

View Full Version : Clarify PvP/PvE relationship.

Xenavire
05-09-2013, 05:00 AM
The kickstarter rewards are mostly PvE based, but have PvP alternate art cards - I would just like to know, will PvP cards be usable in PvE? Or are the cards truly exclusive?

I ask because I will likely play both formats, and was wondering how much of my collection will see play in tournaments, and on non-tournament days.

Venom_424
05-09-2013, 06:35 AM
My guess is that the PvP cards will be available in PvE but with their sockets and equipment options while PvE cards will be PvE only. Just my guess again but I'm betting this would be the only way to keep the balancing maintainable.

Mehlo
05-09-2013, 06:52 AM
Well, since pvp cards have equipment, and equipment is pve only.....

Xenavire
05-09-2013, 08:48 AM
I was worried mostly about certain versions (like the 5 cost black kill all monsters card, seems like one that would be likely to be blocked in PvE).

I assume everything should just be allowed in PvE, including any cards that become legacy, and only new blocks for PvP, which I would be fine with.

Fireblast
05-09-2013, 08:52 AM
PvE doesn't need the same balance PvP does :)

Raids have to be challenges but once you have farmed/found the right combos to beat it, it's fine to enter farm mode... To me at least

~

OP_Kyle
05-09-2013, 09:31 AM
The kickstarter rewards are mostly PvE based, but have PvP alternate art cards - I would just like to know, will PvP cards be usable in PvE? Or are the cards truly exclusive?

I ask because I will likely play both formats, and was wondering how much of my collection will see play in tournaments, and on non-tournament days.

PvP cards --> Can be played in both PvP and PvE games
PvE cards --> Can only be played in PvE games*

*Except for the rare occasion where we do crazy PvE tournaments and let players go crazy with their super powerful cards.

We want to make sure the PvP experience is well balanced so everyone is on the same playing field.

Also, Gear (equipment) for PvP cards can only be used when you are playing your PvP cards in PvE dungeons and raids. Gems can be used in both PvP and PvE games.

Hope this helps.

Xenavire
05-09-2013, 09:35 AM
It does indeed clear things up, thank you.
I was expecting as much. I assume legacy cards will stay for PvE at all times, in the same way, but cycle for PvP? (Except for certain tournaments obviously.)

Blare731
05-09-2013, 09:37 AM
As I came to understand it, the whole point of making the first set a huge 350 was because you didn't want to just cycle the old cards out for new ones. Such that, the cards on release will be just as valuable in the future.?

Xenavire
05-09-2013, 09:47 AM
I understand it that way too, that this set will be the "core" set, but say, after a year, the first expansion set might need to be cycled - some might be allowed to continue play, some might be causing issues in PvP.

This is largely how MTG is handled, and it makes sense to keep certian limits in PvP - you don't want some kind of insane infinite combo to emerge, ruining PvP - I think cycling will happen at some point, but I doubt anything will stay permanently cycled - I imagine certain cards will be brought back to compliment X new set, another few cards for another set, etc.