PDA

View Full Version : Drafting in HEX

Shaqattaq
05-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Ben Stoll introduces you to Booster Draft, a way to make a game out of opening packs!

http://hextcg.com/drafting-in-hex/

Rapkannibale
05-09-2013, 02:28 PM
This is the part I look forward the most I think. Having drafted MtG the concepts presented here were very familiar but obviously very useful to people who are new to drafting or TCGs. In the future it would be great to see some articles on more specific strategies.

Cheers!

Storm_Fireblade
05-09-2013, 03:18 PM
In this article it says at some point "Follow the exact same procedure (choose one card, pass the rest to the right) as outlined in the previous paragraph." Thats a typo, because "the rest" is passed to the left like its mentioned in the previous sentences and not to the right.

Fireblast
05-09-2013, 03:29 PM
1st booster is left, 2nd is right, 3rd is left.
That's what he explained/tried to explained.

~

Storm_Fireblade
05-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Well, it isn't a typo really I guess, yeah. Maybe just a bit confusing at first. It is 1st left, 2nd right, 3rd left for the whole booster, yes :)

Priest
05-09-2013, 07:45 PM
it would have been nice to have seen some UI for the drafting in the segment the fact that they didnt means that it either isnt ready or they didnt want to show it at this point

Thanisse
05-10-2013, 04:16 AM
maybe they just don't want to spoil too many cards :P
in any case , it was a good read .
seems the draft format will be simmilar to magic , not so much wow with the "unlimited" basic lands and nr or cards / deck with the same name.

can't wait to learn more.

agentstinky
05-12-2013, 07:05 AM
What does "void" mean on the Zombie card?

Fireblast
05-12-2013, 07:22 AM
What does "void" mean on the Zombie card?

Guessing Exile/Remove from the game

~

Showsni
05-12-2013, 08:44 AM
I'm hoping the deck builder will be set up with drafting in mind; easy ways to arrange the cards you've drafted by cost, by shard, and so on. When I'm drafting in real life I'll normally sort by colour and then by cost spread across the table so I have some idea of my mana curve; I'd like it if the digital deck builder allowed you to do something similar, so you can see at a glance if you're low on four drops or whatever.

Devaux
05-12-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm hoping the deck builder will be set up with drafting in mind; easy ways to arrange the cards you've drafted by cost, by shard, and so on. When I'm drafting in real life I'll normally sort by colour and then by cost spread across the table so I have some idea of my mana curve; I'd like it if the digital deck builder allowed you to do something similar, so you can see at a glance if you're low on four drops or whatever.

Yeah. Or like to let you start sorting/setting aside cards as you're still picking.

Thanisse
05-13-2013, 06:37 AM
Yeah. Or like to let you start sorting/setting aside cards as you're still picking.

that would be a wee bit timeconsuming if you're doing that while picking .
you'll end up missing a pick or something /

Fireblast
05-13-2013, 06:42 AM
You can check MTGO draft interface on youtube.
It works like that and it's still smooth.

˜

Devaux
05-13-2013, 07:03 AM
that would be a wee bit timeconsuming if you're doing that while picking .
you'll end up missing a pick or something /

The new mtgo client does it and its not time consuming at all. as you pick cards you can drag and drop cards from your pool into the sideboard.

Pretty much as you're going if you are forced to pick a card you know you won't use you can move it away so that you can have a better idea of what you're working with.

Maligance
05-14-2013, 04:56 AM
Will there be an option for "phantom" drafts? That is a cheaper to enter tournament where you do not keep the cards afterwards, the only incentive to play is for practice and the prizes?

clorox
05-14-2013, 09:01 AM
From a design perspective, I am so glad this feature is included. It keeps players investing in the playing of the game, even though they've got a ton of the same cards in their collection already. As long as the rewards for draft events are part of the meta game and not additional content that most players will already have from boosters, I see a well funded future for this game.

NemesiN
06-09-2013, 07:55 PM
What will the entrance fee be to play in the drafts? Will it just be 3 Boosters or will there be an additional fee to enter the draft as well?

ShaolinRaven
06-09-2013, 08:06 PM
What will the entrance fee be to play in the drafts? Will it just be 3 Boosters or will there be an additional fee to enter the draft as well?

Its 3 boosters and $1 (in platinum).

alpha5099
06-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Its 3 boosters and $1 (in platinum).

And you have flexibility on how many boosters you provide. You can bring 3 boosters you already own plus the $1 entrance fee. Or you can buy boosters alongside your entrance fee: you can bring 2 boosters and pay $3, bring 1 and pay $5, or just pay $7.

Omniloathe
06-09-2013, 08:38 PM
you can bring 2 boosters and pay $3, bring 1 and pay $5, or just pay $7.

No you can't. Bought boosters have potential to be primals. You can only draft with non primal boosters (which are worth less than $2). You can only enter draft with 3 boosters you already own.

You have to spend the money to buy the boosters beforehand, only when you are certain you've received 3 non primals will you be able to enter a draft by paying $1.

alpha5099
06-09-2013, 09:47 PM
No you can't. Bought boosters have potential to be primals. You can only draft with non primal boosters (which are worth less than $2). You can only enter draft with 3 boosters you already own.

You have to spend the money to buy the boosters beforehand, only when you are certain you've received 3 non primals will you be able to enter a draft by paying $1.

You are incorrect. And it's not like they could just adjust the Primal Pack Generation Algorithm to say "When you buy boosters as part of a draft entrance, never generate a PP."

You can do one of the following... $7, $5+1Booster, $3+2Boosters, $1+3Boosters (or press your shiny "FREE DRAFT OF THE WEEK" button).

THREAD SPECULATION KILLA!

Link: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23983&p=222509&viewfull=1#post222509

Rins
06-09-2013, 09:49 PM
So its imposible to be in draft tournament without paying real money?

ShaolinRaven
06-09-2013, 09:51 PM

Correct, in fact I believe most tournaments are going to have a minimal, such as $1 fee to cover some of the prize cost. However, nothing is stopping you from getting your boosters from the AH for gold or saving up your KS boosters to give you a few free drafts and just paying the $1. Even the $7 is cheap for a TCG draft considering most TCG boosters are $4 or more.

alpha5099
06-10-2013, 05:06 AM

Well, the dollar amounts will presumably be in the equivalent amount of platinum, Hex's real-money currency. But there should be ways to secure platinum other than buying it directly from Cryptozoic, such as selling boosters, single, or perhaps even rare PvE drops if there's enough demand. You'll probably end up needing to put some money into the PvP side of things, but theoretically you could manage without.

Omniloathe
06-10-2013, 05:48 AM
You are incorrect. And it's not like they could just adjust the Primal Pack Generation Algorithm to say "When you buy boosters as part of a draft entrance, never generate a PP."

Link: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23983&p=222509&viewfull=1#post222509

Except if you do get a primal you have to rebuy another booster, since you cannot draft with it. so you still can only enter when you have 3 non primals.

alpha5099
06-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Except if you do get a primal you have to rebuy another booster, since you cannot draft with it. so you still can only enter when you have 3 non primals.

What are you talking about? Did you not read the post from OP_Kyle (who would know how this works) that I quoted? He specifically said that you can use the draft entry interface to purchase any number of booster packs to use in drafts. If you can buy boosters specifically to use for drafts (which you absolute can, as proved by Cryptozoic's official spokesperson telling us you can), and primals can't be used in drafts (which you can't), then it only stands to reason that the process of buying boosters through the draft entry interface WILL NEVER generate a primal

Arbiter
06-10-2013, 04:32 PM
What are you talking about? Did you not read the post from OP_Kyle (who would know how this works) that I quoted? He specifically said that you can use the draft entry interface to purchase any number of booster packs to use in drafts. If you can buy boosters specifically to use for drafts (which you absolute can, as proved by Cryptozoic's official spokesperson telling us you can), and primals can't be used in drafts (which you can't), then it only stands to reason that the process of buying boosters through the draft entry interface WILL NEVER generate a primal

All of the official graphics for draft cost have shown 3 boosters plus Platinum. The thread you posted mentioned dollars throughout (even the MtGO references where MtGO uses its currency, Tix), so we can be fairly certain that the post was just continuing in that vain. Remember the platinum price hasn't been set (because there is an AH, it is very likely that $1 will equal more than one platinum, as it will be too hard to use the AH in one dollar increments), so it is much easier to say $1 as it will be $1 of platinum, however much that is. What the post there inticates is that you will be able to use $2 platinum in place of a booster if you want. However there should be many boosters (at least of the first set) at under that on the AH.

There are too many issues (especially through tablets) using real money transactions in the game, so everything will be done in platinum, which you will be able to make in game so you will be able to fund your draft entry fee.

Also why anyone would want to buy a booster and have it guaranteed to be a non-primal is beyond me. If you get a primal the amount of time it will take to exchange that for a booster will be essentially limited by your typing speed. Indeed, at a minimum you would get your booster for the draft and enough for 2-3 more drafts at a minimum.

alpha5099
06-10-2013, 06:16 PM
All of the official graphics for draft cost have shown 3 boosters plus Platinum. The thread you posted mentioned dollars throughout (even the MtGO references where MtGO uses its currency, Tix), so we can be fairly certain that the post was just continuing in that vain. Remember the platinum price hasn't been set (because there is an AH, it is very likely that $1 will equal more than one platinum, as it will be too hard to use the AH in one dollar increments), so it is much easier to say $1 as it will be $1 of platinum, however much that is. What the post there inticates is that you will be able to use $2 platinum in place of a booster if you want. However there should be many boosters (at least of the first set) at under that on the AH.

There are too many issues (especially through tablets) using real money transactions in the game, so everything will be done in platinum, which you will be able to make in game so you will be able to fund your draft entry fee.

Also why anyone would want to buy a booster and have it guaranteed to be a non-primal is beyond me. If you get a primal the amount of time it will take to exchange that for a booster will be essentially limited by your typing speed. Indeed, at a minimum you would get your booster for the draft and enough for 2-3 more drafts at a minimum.

As I said elsewhere in this very thread, yes, this will probably all be in platinum. When any of us says $1, we should realize we mean whatever the equivalent amount in platinum is.

Well, the dollar amounts will presumably be in the equivalent amount of platinum, Hex's real-money currency. But there should be ways to secure platinum other than buying it directly from Cryptozoic, such as selling boosters, single, or perhaps even rare PvE drops if there's enough demand. You'll probably end up needing to put some money into the PvP side of things, but theoretically you could manage without.

As for why you'd buy packs for drafting when you could do it through the store for a chance for a primal? I dunno, it's probably better to get them where there's a chance for primal. All I know is that there is an option to pay $7 (ie its platinum equivalent) and get everything you need to draft.

Keznath
06-11-2013, 02:01 AM
Do you think there will be a mean to trade platinums for $ via AH or game itself ?

alpha5099
06-11-2013, 04:46 AM
Do you think there will be a mean to trade platinums for $ via AH or game itself ?

Unknown. One assumption I've seen is that there won't be a direct cash-out method in-game, as it simplifies some legal matters if we're all playing with a pretend currency. But there will also presumably be a third-party market for such exchanges, which CZE may not be able to officially endorse but which they would tacitly allow.

Keznath
06-11-2013, 06:10 AM
Even the $7 is cheap for a TCG draft considering most TCG boosters are $4 or more.

Yes but in real life there are real cards colored printed, and there are logistic costs (transports)...and in real life i can play with my brother at home without be forced to have 2 different computers...actually hex drafts shouldn't have fee and the booster should cost 1$ max !
Producing costs of this game would be covered anyway....

CaptainPuppy
06-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Yes but in real life there are real cards colored printed, and there are logistic costs (transports)...and in real life i can play with my brother at home without be forced to have 2 different computers...actually hex drafts shouldn't have fee and the booster should cost 1$ max !

Well, MTG Online charges you the same price as the physical cards :D

ShaolinRaven
06-11-2013, 01:53 PM

So Crypto should take the time to hire, pay, and keep on staff a development team + all the equipment needed to program and create cards/pve environments/digital tournaments, plus work on expansions, plus keep up servers all without seeing any return on their work? Also they should pay the artists that do the card work out of their pocket, that isn't seeing any return on their investment in the game?

They are already giving us all the PvE for free and not gating content, and boosters are $2 which is fairly cheap all things considered.

jgsugden
06-11-2013, 05:27 PM
So Crypto should take the time to hire, pay, and keep on staff a development team + all the equipment needed to program and create cards/pve environments/digital tournaments, plus work on expansions, plus keep up servers all without seeing any return on their work? Also they should pay the artists that do the card work out of their pocket, that isn't seeing any return on their investment in the game?Hey, if they can swing it...

They are already giving us all the PvE for free and not gating content, and boosters are $2 which is fairly cheap all things considered.For you folks that think it costs too much - don't play. If you're willing to pay, it doesn't cost too much for you - by definition. There are a lot of people that would enjoy paying but will not be paying to do so because they can't afford it. I consider the cost of a sealed tournament - which is pretty much the same as the cost of a movie these days, to be quite reasonable in Hex if the game is as good as promised.

It looks liks ~ $17 a month ($4 for VIP, $10 for 5 boosters, $3 for tournament tickets) you'll be able to play in 3 limited tournaments. I'm betting you can trade some of the good stuff you get in those tournaments for enough to enter a fourth. And if you REALLY want to do sealed tourneys with your friends without paying more cash to buy boosters - just use random generators with your collections. Simple and easy.

mydragoon
06-11-2013, 06:07 PM
and in real life i can play with my brother at home without be forced to have 2 different computers...
actually... interesting point. there will be times where a few friends will gather together to play... i wonder if we'll have a hot seat option or everyone will need to have their own machines...

hmmm... now it'll be kinda sucky if physically-close friends find it difficult to play together... ya, i know, besides lugging a desktop or laptop, we can also carry tablet since this is now unlocked. but i believe tablet feature is not coming anytime soon... so...

Keznath
06-12-2013, 12:40 AM
So Crypto should take the time to hire, pay, and keep on staff a development team + all the equipment needed to program and create cards/pve environments/digital tournaments, plus work on expansions, plus keep up servers all without seeing any return on their work? Also they should pay the artists that do the card work out of their pocket, that isn't seeing any return on their investment in the game?

There will be 100 000 players at least, lets make a hypothese :
Each player will buy for instance 6 boosters a month (2 drafts...is it too much ?).
If there were no fee, and the booster was 1$, it will make 600,000 $ a month ...hum...but i'm wrong, a draft will cost 7$ not 3$.
For my mind, this game is a very lucrative project, and the starting investment is covered by the KS (7 times the amount asked...).

Moreover, i hope we could pay in $...cos i'm frightened that i could pay in € ...

This game is already a success...

ZacPhoenix
06-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Yeah I hope all the currency stays in USD. I always get stung living in Europe with the ... the NUMBER I have to pay is always the same as the $ number... but of course my currency costs more, so I'm paying more than people paying the $ number. In other words... $3 is NOT worth me paying 3.

Mokog
06-16-2013, 08:22 PM

Cryptozoic may not be paying to print and ship the cards but they have different costs. They have server costs, rental space and over head, technical support costs, direct sales and marketing, and community management costs. Then you have security and disaster management costs and a host of other costs. Running the game is not free, and running a dynamic synchronized server host is defiantly not free. They will make money but not from the beta. They will make their money on release and appealing to the broader market to sell boosters and starters. Cory will make his bail from t-shirt sales after the police catch up with him from his crime spree caught on kickstarter. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/widget/video.html