PDA

View Full Version : Hex deck idea - Over powered cards already?

brockit
05-09-2013, 07:15 PM
So just looking at some of the Hex cards on the main site and in videos I can already see some powerful cards. like Time Bug and Replicator's Gambit. just these cards alone could be used together to potentially gain you 3 free turns. And from my experience in most TCGs a card that has the effect: "take an additional turn after this one" can be game breaking. Now that being said, these decks can also be alot of fun but my question is, will strong cards like this be limited to pve or included in pvp. Taking extra turns seems alittle OP for the first meta of any card game. I could be wrong.

What powerful deck ideas do you have?

Xenavire
05-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Replicators gambit is one of the PvE exclusive rewards right? OP versus an AI is fine. Against a player, not so fine.

I think it should be OK, just use those in a raid and get some good loot!

brockit
05-09-2013, 07:20 PM
ah, I figured it was probably PvE only :)

OP_Kyle
05-09-2013, 07:29 PM
ah, I figured it was probably PvE only :)

Replicator's Gambit is a PvP card. There is also an alternate art version as a Kickstarter reward.

Xenavire
05-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Oh, must have got it mixed up with the other reward on the same tier. The does mean those bugs might be rather nasty, especially with multiple copies of the gambit in-hand to set up with.

Boojum
05-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Actually, Replicator's Gambit is listed as being a PvP Alternate Art reward, so it should be legal.

Taking four turns in a row is a pretty huge payoff and should win the game, but I don't see it as being more broken than combo decks in a bunch of other games.

Pulling it off requires getting a two-card combo, then drawing a single card out of the 40-ish left in your deck, which makes it even harder to get than a typical three-card combo. And of course you've invested resources and cards into something that gives you no board presence, so you'll be falling behind a more traditional deck. Then you have to wait a whole turn hoping that the opponent doesn't have any board sweepers before you finally get the payoff.

OP_Kyle
05-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Oh, must have got it mixed up with the other reward on the same tier. The does mean those bugs might be rather nasty, especially with multiple copies of the gambit in-hand to set up with.

"I play Heat Wave and do two damage to all your troops."

Xenavire
05-09-2013, 07:37 PM
I did say might haha. I doubt every colour of card can fire off an easy board cleaner either, so some decks might be rather vulnerable.

Boojum does raise some good points of course.

Devaux
05-09-2013, 07:42 PM
I'm not sure I'd throw around the word "over-powered". I mean you need to draw both, cast both without the bug getting destroyed, then draw the (same) bug again, and then cast it and still have the swarm survive til your next turn and then get in with them. All assuming your opponent doesn't have any flying blockers? Its a sweet interaction but it sounds like the payoff is probably about right for the work you put in/risk you take.

Then again I've never played the game and I'm not sure how much quick-removal/sweepers/fliers there are so maybe this'll end up being kind of busted. Hard to say right now.

brockit
05-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Pulling it off requires getting a two-card combo, then drawing a single card out of the 40-ish left in your deck, which makes it even harder to get than a typical three-card combo. And of course you've invested resources and cards into something that gives you no board presence, so you'll be falling behind a more traditional deck. Then you have to wait a whole turn hoping that the opponent doesn't have any board sweepers before you finally get the payoff.

This is very true, these combos would take time to go off. Then could just end up getting Heat Waved lol. I still think this deck could only get more competitive in time tho..

Devaux
05-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Actually, Replicator's Gambit is listed as being a PvP Alternate Art reward, so it should be legal.

Taking four turns in a row is a pretty huge payoff and should win the game, but I don't see it as being more broken than combo decks in a bunch of other games.

Yeah he beat me to it. What he said.

WWKnight
05-09-2013, 07:45 PM
What is Heat Wave?

BlueRider
05-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Apparently something that does two damage to opposing troops.

S117
05-09-2013, 11:43 PM
Plus Gambit targets...i.e. if there is a Quick Action insta-gib or or 2+ damage card you can hit the bug before Gambit resolves and it'll fizzle...

I know there are ways around it but, I dunno, I just hate getting my opponent down to 1 or 2 life and then..."Guess what? I drew my last combo card the turn before I die...I win!"

WWKnight
05-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Whats wrong with that? Thats what combo does. Its like the aggro deck killing off the control player before he gets the lock down, or the control player locking down the combo player before he gets a chance to go infinite.

Its just what those styles try and do.

S117
05-09-2013, 11:52 PM
Oh I know...It's just kind of frustrating...

EDIT: Would you be able to tell, then, that I am an aggro player?

WWKnight
05-10-2013, 12:03 AM
I had an inkling :P