PDA

View Full Version : Matchmaking & Resources

MMO_Unforgiven
05-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Am I the only one who hasn't left this site since I found out about it?

OK so I got to thinking about how the matchmaking is going to work for Hex? I am sure they have it all worked out, but I know I have always hated it when I got matched up against someone way outside of my skill range. I am very new to this genre and it has been a major turn off for me to get matched up against someone who has some crazy deck that could win tournaments against my noob deck I made with the starter packs I just bought.

I also got to thinking about another frustration in past games. Being resource starved has driven me nuts in the past and I see Hex is still using a resource system. I hope there have been changes to make it less of an issue?

Mehlo
05-09-2013, 09:04 PM
On the first part nope, i'm the same way. I've quite literally made more posts in this forum since i found out about it yesterday then i have in the entire last year on everything else combined.

icyangelus
05-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Nope your not the only one, I want to play this so badly lol. As far as matchmaking goes i suppose they will have like a begginers area and an experts area.

Xenavire
05-09-2013, 09:05 PM
-Threshold - its like resources on crack. It is amazing how a tiny change will make things so much better.

Also curious about matchmaking.

I also am glued here, only stop to sleep etc.

WWKnight
05-09-2013, 09:48 PM
I actually welcome my \old resource overlords. Infinity Wars has a ramp up system that means that you never ever have to worry about resource screw or flood again, which is really great. But its also sort of boring. If I am talking about a serious tournament level mechanic, I guess I prefer that, because then it really coems down to skill and not luck of the draw. However, I really do enjoy sometimes getting frustrated and not knowing whats coming. There is a level of adrenaline and thrill that I enjoy hoping to topdeck a resource that I have missed.

I like that I will now have access to the best of both worlds online :-) I am waiting to see a display of a dual coloured deck. Im a little worried that it hasnt been shown yet. It is available to play that way isnt it?

Storm_Fireblade
05-10-2013, 01:23 AM
I really hope to see some form for player ranking depending on your success in constructed as well as drafting (seperate rankings). This could be used for both playstyles then:

1: In Drafting, instead of the way MtG does it with open "tables" you can join, the digital foundation of HEX should be used to let people enter a queue after choosing the set they want to draft and then the game matches you with people of similar drafting ranking like yourself. First AFTER a certain amount of time, should you be unlucky not to have enough players close to your ranking signing up right now, you should be matched with players of a much higher drafting ranking.

2: Same goes for constructed matches. You can still open up the possibility to challenge people directly, if you choose so.

Dralon
05-10-2013, 03:11 AM
I also hope for some ranking system for helping set up PVP matches with people of similar skill. While also having open tournaments that any ranked player can enter. I do enjoy playing against higher skill players at times, but getting facerolled everytime you play (which could and well happen to a lot of new TCG players that Hex hopes to attract) is not fun.

Storm_Fireblade
05-10-2013, 03:20 AM
We need to have open tournaments everyone simply enters, I agree, but especially when playing constructed matches I would prefer an option to join a queue and get paired with people of a similar rating. That way you have a lot more chances to win and learn from your experiences without dumping the game after getting facerolled several times in a row due to unfortunate picking of opponents.

Don't get me wrong. I love a challenge and I'm not new to the genre, but I want to see this community grow as well and a lot of newcomers and well veterans too, dislike a matchmaking system like MtG provides online (unless they changed it recently).

Fireblast
05-10-2013, 03:41 AM
I really hope to see some form for player ranking depending on your success in constructed as well as drafting (seperate rankings). This could be used for both playstyles then:

1: In Drafting, instead of the way MtG does it with open "tables" you can join, the digital foundation of HEX should be used to let people enter a queue after choosing the set they want to draft and then the game matches you with people of similar drafting ranking like yourself. First AFTER a certain amount of time, should you be unlucky not to have enough players close to your ranking signing up right now, you should be matched with players of a much higher drafting ranking.

2: Same goes for constructed matches. You can still open up the possibility to challenge people directly, if you choose so.

In RL tournaments and draft the people are randomly matched, don't know why it should be any different.
Also good drafters will "farm" random tables and test with friends when they are about playtesting

So basically, I hope they don't implement your suggestion :D

~

Xenavire
05-10-2013, 04:33 AM
In real life we had weekly tournaments and tons of friendlies, and the players had greatly varying skill and resources to buy cards, and it was something of a free for all - if you were lucky, you could place higher than the good players simply by who everyone drew.

There were always one or two spot prizes too, and I think hex should use that as incentive for new players - always having a chance to walk away with something.

Storm_Fireblade
05-10-2013, 05:10 AM
It should be different because in RL Tournaments you don't have the same options as in a digital game. This is NOT a digital copy of anything physical, this is a game based solely on the possibilities the digital world provides.

There is absolutely no problem in having "open tables everyon can join" for drafts as well as constructed matches like Magic Online offers, while still implementing a queue you can join, if you want to make sure you are matched with opponents as close to your own current rating as possible.

I cannot understand why someone would be against this. As far as I can see there are three things that could happen:

1: Open Tables and Rating-Related Queues are used 50/50 --> obviously enough demand for both
2: Open Tables are still the only thing really used --> People against rating related queues would have nothing to worry about
3: Rating Related Queues are the only thing really used --> People against those queues are an absolutely minority and have to accept this.

WWKnight
05-10-2013, 05:19 AM
I believe they said that there is the higher stakes tables, where only the top 2 get (more) prizes, and the lower stakes tables, where its spread between the top 4 (and thus, less prizes). I think that in itself will create a buffer between skill levels.

JMFD
05-10-2013, 05:38 AM
I believe they said that there is the higher stakes tables, where only the top 2 get (more) prizes, and the lower stakes tables, where its spread between the top 4 (and thus, less prizes). I think that in itself will create a buffer between skill levels.

I read this somewhere as well. That they two different prize payout tiers, and tournament styles. One is geared more towards the pro players due to less payout slots ie higher rewards for winning.

Storm_Fireblade
05-11-2013, 01:28 AM
Just to highlight this post once here as well:

We will have a way to match players up according to skill.

Boojum
05-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Yeah, there are three separate draft queues, so less experienced players can gravitate toward the Swiss format (always play all three matches, prizes to everyone with at least 1 win) and the more competitive ones will go for the single elimination formats.