PDA

View Full Version : Any worries regarding interference from WOTC?

cboyd_1976
05-10-2013, 09:33 AM
Hi There,

Recently we saw Wizards of the Coast significantly delay the launch of Ubisoft's Might & Magic: Duel of Champions in North America. Is there any fear that Hex will be another WOTC target? I hope not, because this game looks amazing and I don't want any issues or delays :)

Xenavire
05-10-2013, 09:54 AM
How exactly can they interfere? They don't own any part of this IP.

If you just mean them generally being jerks to anyone else, then I will shut up right now. (I hate that they cycled out DnD 3.5 without making a game better than NWN2, which did not do it justice. I am displeased with them.)

Daer
05-10-2013, 09:55 AM
They own a bunch of TCG patents

WWKnight
05-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Im SURE Cryptozoiacs legal team would have been all over that before they proceeded to the kickstarter stage.

cboyd_1976
05-10-2013, 09:59 AM
WOTC has filed lawsuits against multiple companies that are creating or have created games that are similar to their products. They filed suit against Ubisoft and Ubisoft was unable to launch their new digital trading card game in North America for many months.

cboyd_1976
05-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Im SURE Cryptozoiacs legal team would have been all over that before they proceeded to the kickstarter stage.

That is my hope as well WWKnight.

Xenavire
05-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Owning TCG patents is pretty vague, and I doubt they could substantiate it. The concept itself is far beyond anything they would have a patent for, so I think it is somewhat of a non-issue.

Mehlo
05-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Patents are kinda vague to begin with. I know that there is a patent for not having to click inside of a screen before using the program for computer programs, so it's really up to the legal team. We can all plainly see that this game is VERY close to MtG in mechanics, so we have to hope their lawyers were careful as can be.

JMFD
05-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Crytpo has already produced several large card games, something tells me they have been through this process before.

Mehlo
05-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Yea, more so then the might and magic first timers. It's an issue, but i trust they thought of it already.

thx42
05-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Patents are kinda vague to begin with. I know that there is a patent for not having to click inside of a screen before using the program for computer programs, so it's really up to the legal team. We can all plainly see that this game is VERY close to MtG in mechanics, so we have to hope their lawyers were careful as can be.

WotC's patent is very specific in its claims (http://www.google.com/patents/US5662332) - and it seems like HEX infringes on practically all of them...even when they don't have to. They didn't have to include tapping (exhausting) cards, but they did anyway.

This makes me think that they worked something out with WotC to pay them royalties. Or maybe they believe that they've made sufficient additions (sockets, gear, achievements, etc) to qualify as an improvement on an existing patent.

Xenavire
05-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Well, considering this is digital, and can never be a physical game, I think that is a big enough change to dodge practically everything.

Time will tell though, but I am confidant the devs have thought it through before acting.

houjix
05-10-2013, 11:25 AM
There have been previous cases dealing with these patents and I know one judge ruled that many of them are unenforceable because they were too vague, especially the "tapping" of a card. There is are only so many ways to orient a card to show it has done something.

Erebus
05-10-2013, 01:40 PM
I'd like to point that almost every piece of patent-arguable material can be found in their WoW TCG. Seeing as how it's been around for nearly 7 years, I think they probably have it out.

Exhaust
Atk
Defense
Resource

Are all used in WoW TCG. Perhaps Cryptozoic has their own patents, or exclusions?

Storm_Fireblade
05-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Well, since the overall mechanics are sooo close to MtG, I'm sure Cryptozoic covered themselves enough to not have to face legal actions here. Its almost impossible they came up with this almost identical approach to the basics without checking other games (especially MtG) and I would be surprised to see those guys, being veterans of the industry, fail to make sure they don't copy anything in a way, that might come right back at them.

Thanisse
05-10-2013, 03:19 PM
I am really curious how they can pattent "tapping" and "attacking"/"defending" .
I mean , that is like someone would have mouse aiming pattented for shooters ...