Will Hex use the ELO rating system?

Fireblast
05-10-2013, 04:35 PM
What for?
You'll be randomly matched during tourneys

~

Kami
05-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Because we won't only be playing tourneys?

Sometimes you also just want to know where you stand globally, nationally, regionally, or even amongst friends/guildmates, etc.

A proper rating system for a competitive game is important.

Fireblast
05-10-2013, 04:56 PM
There will be PvE, fungames/tests and tourneys.
In which case would you want ELO?

~

Kami
05-10-2013, 04:57 PM
I don't see how having an ELO system would hurt. It doesn't prevent unranked play.

kirkwb
05-10-2013, 05:00 PM
There will be PvE, fungames/tests and tourneys.
In which case would you want ELO?

In organized play, it's nice to have a rating system. It probably won't be ELO, but something similar.

Boojum
05-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Yeah, I haven't seen anything about them having a league/ladder system, but it would be nice. On-demand tournaments are great, but you don't always have a 3-hour block of time to commit to them, so being able to just be matched up for a single game as needed would be nice too.

Fireblast
05-10-2013, 05:08 PM
In organized play, it's nice to have a rating system. It probably won't be ELO, but something similar.

Agreed, but not ELO :)

~

Daer
05-10-2013, 05:15 PM
They hinted at leagues but said they can't reveal anything yet.

Blare731
05-10-2013, 05:32 PM
I think that having a rating system in tourneys is good. Not to place you in specific tournaments, but to just see your stats and how you fair against opponents and if you got crushed see if someone was ranked much higher and vice-versa. This sort of stat based ranking system wouldn't effect how the game is placed but is nice thing to have.

OP_Kyle
05-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Everyone here just loves your sig file Blare731. You've only seen like 20 cards and you're already deck building! Love it.

We will have a way to match players up according to skill.

Blare731
05-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Everyone here just loves your sig file Blare731. You've only seen like 20 cards and you're already deck building! Love it.

Haha thank you! I honestly have nothing to do until I take finals next week so I can't stop thinking about Hex!

We will have a way to match players up according to skill.

That sounds great! Can you elaborate on the specifics or generally how you might approach this issue?

Thanks for your knowledge Kyle the central hub of information on the forums =].

cronedog
05-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Because we won't only be playing tourneys?

Sometimes you also just want to know where you stand globally, nationally, regionally, or even amongst friends/guildmates, etc.

A proper rating system for a competitive game is important.

I agree. It is really useful to see how good you are. I'm going to make up some numbers to use as an example. Let's say they have yearly world championships that invite the best 64 players. You could be 70th best out of the thousands that play and never know it. Also it can be used as a learning too. Sometime you will loose from bad luck. If you opponent was really highly ranked, and seemed to make some bizarre decisions, you might pay more attention to their play style to improve your game.

Blare731
05-10-2013, 06:24 PM
I agree. It is really useful to see how good you are. I'm going to make up some numbers to use as an example. Let's say they have yearly world championships that invite the best 64 players. You could be 70th best out of the thousands that play and never know it. Also it can be used as a learning too. Sometime you will loose from bad luck. If you opponent was really highly ranked, and seemed to make some bizarre decisions, you might pay more attention to their play style to improve your game.

They say in the website how they do big tourneys. Scheduled events section (http://hextcg.com/game/tournaments/)

But to paraphrase: Small tourneys get you points based on how well you do. 10 points to participant in Qualifier for World Tourney (Quarterly) and if you Qualify at one of them you get to Participate in the World Tourney (Yearly).

cronedog
05-11-2013, 09:53 PM
They say in the website how they do big tourneys. Scheduled events section (http://hextcg.com/game/tournaments/)

But to paraphrase: Small tourneys get you points based on how well you do. 10 points to participant in Qualifier for World Tourney (Quarterly) and if you Qualify at one of them you get to Participate in the World Tourney (Yearly).

Thanks bud, I just missed that. The conversations on these forums are so helpful and civil I wonder if I'm still on the internet ;)

Blare731
05-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Thanks bud, I just missed that. The conversations on these forums are so helpful and civil I wonder if I'm still on the internet ;)

Np, I try and be as friendly as possibly. Even when I am infuriated by the ignorance of the internet as well hahaha. I definitely understand where you are coming from.

Dragkin
05-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I think it'd be awesome if we were able to simply see where we ranked compared to everybody. Still, I wouldn't like it for matchmaking.

Jinuyr
05-11-2013, 10:12 PM
+1 for ELO system. That would be nice to see where everyone is at.

JoonYoungK
05-11-2013, 11:02 PM
I would be highly surprised if there wasn't some system like this. IF not multiple. Probably one for gameplay ranks. one for trophy ranks. one for largest collection. one for largest ingame currency etc. etc.

JMFD
05-11-2013, 11:24 PM
Even if the idea of an ELO system doesn't affect matchmaking or tournament selection, it is still cool to know how you compare to the rest of the world.