PDA

View Full Version : Will we see such great deal for booster pack price again?

MugenMusou
05-10-2013, 08:28 PM
So if we pledge King Tier, we are essentially getting 80 cents/booster pack. In a high quality digital TCG this is really a great price. Only game I can think of costing less is Shadow Era, which does not have the depth of HEX.

Sony Online Entertainment every once and a while does double cash back campaign during which time you can essentially purchase in game currency for half price.

Since Cryptozoic is doing this once, do you think we will see this great price again in the future?

Daer
05-10-2013, 08:41 PM
They are going to have a soft subscription for $4/month were you get 1 booster a week. That's obvious limited but its a small steady supply of $1 boosters.

WWKnight
05-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Soft sub 3 times and get 3 packs a week for $12 a month!

MugenMusou
05-10-2013, 09:13 PM
I would do $48 a month to get 48 packs. It's like a buying a new video game a month. :)

Boojum
05-10-2013, 09:46 PM
If they do large periodic sales, players will start to expect that, and just wait and buy huge quantities whenever there's a sale on, which would screw with the economy. In other TCGs, booster prices generally only drop if there's a glut of supply of a set that needs to be cleared out. Obviously that wouldn't apply here, and I'd think that they would want to keep the prices fairly stable. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they had some sort of "box discount" of 30 packs for $50 or something along those lines.

I kind of hope that any volume discounts and the subscription discount are relatively modest (and that you can't stack multiple subscriptions on an account). If they bring prices too far down, then any time you wind up buying at full price, it feels like a bad deal. And selfishly, if packs are routinely available for $1, then the value of the free draft per week goes down.

I would think that the extreme discounts available in the Kickstarter are a one-time thing to entice backers and reward us for taking a leap of faith by putting substantial money into a game that might conceivably (albeit unlikely) turn out to be bad or not to our tastes. People playing a game that's already established itself, by contrast, wouldn't be taking any sort of equivalent risk.

Travis
05-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Hopefully pack prices stay at 2 dollars. If they go much lower the cards overall will become worthless as anyone can and will be able to buy all of them and the trading, collecting, investing will stop.

Hibbert
05-10-2013, 10:47 PM
If they do large periodic sales, players will start to expect that, and just wait and buy huge quantities whenever there's a sale on, which would screw with the economy. I

That is what it kinda "feels" like would happen. But from reading about Steam and Steam sales, periodic sales actually increase revenues both during the sale period and after the sale ends. It's counter-intuitive, but after big Steam sales, games tend to sell better than they did before the sale(even if they don't sell as well as they did DURING the sales). I admit game sales are a bit different from TCG booster packs, but I think the same principle would apply here.

Big sales are the perfect chance to get new players interested in the game(or lapsed players re-interested in the game), and if they stick around, they are very likely to purchase more cards in the future.

Blare731
05-10-2013, 10:52 PM
That is what it kinda "feels" like would happen. But from reading about Steam and Steam sales, periodic sales actually increase revenues both during the sale period and after the sale ends. It's counter-intuitive, but after big Steam sales, games tend to sell better than they did before the sale(even if they don't sell as well as they did DURING the sales). I admit game sales are a bit different from TCG booster packs, but I think the same principle would apply here.

Big sales are the perfect chance to get new players interested in the game(or lapsed players re-interested in the game), and if they stick around, they are very likely to purchase more cards in the future.

I believe that is the... "Oh damn you see this game, it's awesome and you should get it." Affect it has on people and the way things travel and then afterwards people get the games from influence. There is a little bit of difference here because there is nothing new about making sales of booster packs. It would definitely lead to pro players that didn't kick start to purchase a large bulk of their future packs on the sales every sale.

MugenMusou
05-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Personally, volume discount is nice. If they are going to do special sales the frequency is the key. If they do it every month, I agree that most people would just wait until the sales. If they do it once a year, then not so big deal. Though it would be nice to see sales right before the new set.

Blare731
05-10-2013, 11:06 PM
True once a year doesn't sound bad except that with some quick math, if you wanted to play for an entire year and spend as little money as possible playing in tourneys. For instance you wanted to play once a week for a little price (almost identical to Pro tier incentive)

It would be 3 packs x 52 weeks = 156 x price. Normally at $2 per pack it doesn't even come close to Pro tier of 250. But if they were to introduce a sale of .80 cents like the way 150 packs is going in king tier. Thats much less than the Pro price.

Now of course Pro is for life and I'm not trying to argue that it truly diminishes the value of it. I was using it as a reference really and my point is that You could play the entire year for relatively cheap amount. So idk, it seems to me that a constant sale of boosters is not the way to go. Not to mention the boosters are already pretty cheap comparatively to other TCGs.

Although, something like kickstarting the new set sale might be a good idea. Which yeah I guess in turn has the same flaws so *cheers* to arguing for both sides.

Fireblast
05-11-2013, 01:24 AM
Sales are bad
Bulk discount is required

~

d00dz
05-11-2013, 04:05 AM
I have to agree with Fireblast. I don't like the idea of sales but I can stand by promotions if they come sparingly, something like "Free random loot card (which may give gold, cards, xp or whatever) with every X boosters".

Devaux
05-11-2013, 06:19 AM
Personally, volume discount is nice. If they are going to do special sales the frequency is the key. If they do it every month, I agree that most people would just wait until the sales. If they do it once a year, then not so big deal. Though it would be nice to see sales right before the new set.

I find it difficult to imagine that they wont have booster box sales.

Sales are bad
Bulk discount is required

~

How in gods name do you figure sales are bad?

Fireblast
05-11-2013, 06:26 AM
Sales are meant to lower stock (because stock costs alot).
In a Digital game there is no stock so there is no need for sales except to make full price customers feel bad and screw the second market.

If CZE is in need for cash flow they'd need to do pre-orders discount, but not sales on old / current product.

~

WWKnight
05-11-2013, 06:29 AM
So why do Steam do sales then? To screw with the secondary market, or to make people feel bad?

Fireblast
05-11-2013, 06:32 AM
I don't know how Steam works, but I'm guessing they order games from editors, having some kinda stock, the more they sell, the better their margin, they could also need advertisement/cash flow.

Here the issue about stock is void and the issue about cash flow should be resolved with pre-orders and not sales.

~

Kami
05-11-2013, 06:33 AM
So why do Steam do sales then? To screw with the secondary market, or to make people feel bad?

Because they take a cut of what the publisher's make. It's in their best interest to make people want to buy, even on sale.

d00dz
05-11-2013, 06:33 AM

There is no secondary market in Steam video game sales (you can't trade or sell video games you buy). Instead, they do that to regenerate waning interest in older games and accrue revenue. In contrast, Hex will have an in-game economy and having sales constantly would put that out of whack.

Whenever there would be a sale, there would be a sudden influx of supply then market needs some time to recorrect.

Mushroom_C1oud
05-11-2013, 07:07 AM
I like the idea of pre-order sales and bulk discount like get one free booster with the purchase of 10 boosters.

Dralon
05-11-2013, 07:23 AM
pre order sales are a great idea and the discount for "box" purchases I strongly support, and is a mirror of real life TCG buying patterns for many people. When a new set comes out that I want I will pre-order to save the extra 25-20 dollars and get a base collection going for that set, either online or through my local gameshop depending on cash and game store support I have/wish to provide. I'll then buy boosters here and there or individual cards as I wish.

Blare731
05-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Sales are meant to lower stock (because stock costs alot).
In a Digital game there is no stock so there is no need for sales except to make full price customers feel bad and screw the second market.

If CZE is in need for cash flow they'd need to do pre-orders discount, but not sales on old / current product.

~

Steam is a fully digital provider for digital download games on PC and Mac. The reason it is really popular is because you can go anywhere (install steam if it isn't) and login and start downloading them to that machine or just play if they are already there. No need to keep track of cd's and cd keys and all you need to know is your username, password, and your email info to confirm a new computer if that is the case.

Fireblast
05-11-2013, 10:44 AM
So Steam "buys" games from editors and resell them. That's why they have kinda stock and need for sales

~

Daer
05-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Publishers sell their games through Steam and Steam takes a cut, they aren't reselling games they have bought.

Fireblast
05-11-2013, 10:47 AM
But they don't care about the game's value, they just want their share

Anyway we already debated that and we agreed :p

~