PDA

View Full Version : What PvE has to offer PvP

Beastmaster
05-11-2013, 12:46 AM
I am really excited by the deck building challenges that have been promised for the PvE dungeons as deck building is one of the most exciting things about magic and often lost through the need to be competitive and face 'net decks'.

Deck building is just one of many skills that I think (new) players can learn from PvE to improve their PvP game. It seems like it could also be an awesome way to expose them to different colours and more complex styles of play like control. There are so many articles on all elements of PvP such as resource distribution, casting cost grading and side boarding that could be so effectively taught through a dungeon built to do so.

Further it would be awesome if each starter deck came with a unique dungeon designed to teach the style of play associated with that race and in particular the race's strengths and weaknesses against other races etc. It could have a really awesome story with the player starting as a low level commander fighting with mostly common cards against an easy enemy and by the end of the campaign have unlocked all the PvP cards in the starter deck for use in that dungeon and fighting important battles against very difficult enemies.

After each major PvP tournament, it would be awesome to have a PvE campaign where players could compete using one of the top ten decks to learn the strengths and weaknesses of the current metagame and improve their skills and knowledge for the next tournament.

Sure, serious players can learn all these things and download the latest decks from the web but it would be so much more engaging to learn by doing and would encourage many casual players to try serious tournaments once they understand tournament play better.

S117
05-11-2013, 12:55 AM
Not to mention doing dungeons with more experienced players can help you see what works well. And hopefully, if we don't devolve into a League of Legends community (Dear God say it won't be so), they will likely help you out with tips on how to play better, how mechanics work, etc etc...assuming, anyway, that more experienced players have a reason to go back to lower level dungeons...

WWKnight
05-11-2013, 01:03 AM
I am making it my personal mission to be the light in the darkness and fight to keep this community from turning into LoL. *shudder*

I would love to have mini dungeons associated with premade decks! Thats a great idea Beastmaster!

Beastmaster
05-11-2013, 01:23 AM
Thanks, I really feel that the first experience of a game is a major factor in how successful it is and while im sure cryptozoic is already planing an awesome tutorial (or better a tutorial dungeon) you cant fit a game as complex and varied as this into one tutorial. You need a link to draw players deeper into the game and encourage them to explore different play styles and decks with the ultimate goal of getting more players into the awesomeness of PvP.

d00dz
05-11-2013, 04:08 AM
I will personally be dabbling in both PVP and PVE but I think most newbies to TCGs will focus on the PVE aspect. I think it would be a good idea for PVE bosses to occasionally provide random PVP cards to give the newbies an opportunity to dabble in PVP. I am pretty sure I will have a hard time convincing friends who have never played TCGs to run straight into PVP but if they get their bearings from PVE then they just might move towards PVP as well.