PDA

View Full Version : Need answers before i pledge $120-$250

Hatelore
05-11-2013, 04:29 AM
I want to pledge but i need this answered first... I need to understand what value if any the cards have in real life.

Question: What is the reward for winning a draft? Why am i paying 8-9$ each draft?

My understanding is that this is a digital only game. Magic the Gathering Online charges 3 boosters and 1 ticket for a draft because the Digital cards that you receive have relativity the same real world value as the physical cards because you can redeem them. I.E. $$$$$$$$$ For example I can put together a set of cards and redeem them to get a physical set, or i can sell them to a trader using paypal (again because the cards have real world value because they can be redeemed for physical tangible cards that the traders can redeem and sell). They have to do this.. They cannot for example sell digital boosters for 99 cents because it would crash the value of the physical card game.

But if this game is digital only.. I don't understand why I am paying so much for a draft... If i win i just get more cards.. that i can't do anything with except auction house them for platinum? That seems like a horrible value to a competitive player if I already have a player set of cards.

Another example would be Hearthstone, they are only planning to charge 99 cents per pack and 3 packs to get into a draft. There packs are only 5 cards each but they are doubling the amount that you get when you draft! You buy 3 boosters for 3$, but you get to walk away with at least 30 cards. They are also going to let you earn packs though playing the game that can be used to play in drafts.

My understanding for Hex is that you cannot earn boosters though any kind of PvE time sink.

A comparison of the 3 games:

Magic the Gathering 3 packs + 1 ticket = 10$-13$ (but you can redeem cards for physical cards that hold value)
Hearthstone = 3$ to draft, walk away with 30 cards at least.
Hex = $8-$9 i'm guessing around 40-45 cards based on the 60 card decks in the demo videos.

Summary: If a pro player wins lots of drafts, then takes those excess cards and sells them all on the Auction house for platinum WTF does he do with the platinum? How does he "cash out" with out breaking the EULA? Do they just keep pooling?

Will there be any type of real world money auction house?

Fireblast
05-11-2013, 04:47 AM
Drafts will be $1 + 3 boosters (that you either already have or buy)

There will be Gold (IG currency) and Platinum (premium currency) Auction Houses.

The only thing that wasn't answered yet is about $$ withdrawal, because I guess it's legally complex to do something like that worldwide.

Boosters are 15 cards, so you'll walk away from a draft with 45 cards + prize (that's why you pay $1, for prize support)

Speaking of pro players, if they cannot checkout and don't want to use Ebay (wether it's legit or not from an EULA point of view) they'll still win cash prize during tournaments and basically play for free

~

Hatelore
05-11-2013, 05:05 AM
Drafts will be $1 + 3 boosters (that you either already have or buy)
Boosters are 15 cards, so you'll walk away from a draft with 45 cards + prize (that's why you pay $1, for prize support)
~

My point is if i don't need the cards.. then paying $8 to win more cards is of no value to me. And if I am going to use my winnings to just continue to play in more drafts where do i get the 1$ from if i already have the packs?

Example: I win a draft and get 10 packs lets say.. now i want to draft again.. I have the 3 packs but i need the 1$... do i go to the auction house and sell something to get platinum then use that to get in? in MTG this is easy because i can just cash all my packs out to tickets via the trade bots.

Fireblast
05-11-2013, 05:14 AM
If you don't need cards anymore and just wanna playtest draft you'll do it with guildies using a free draft with friends feature

No fee, no prize, your boosters

~

Hatelore
05-11-2013, 05:22 AM
If you don't need cards anymore and just wanna playtest draft you'll do it with guildies using a free draft with friends feature

No fee, no prize, your boosters

~

Is this a confirmed feature? I can make a zergling guild invite a hundred random people and just draft for free with out spending any $ on this game?

WWKnight
05-11-2013, 05:24 AM
If you win, you use the packs to do more drafts. You will be able to (most likely) purchase tickets off the AH using gold or platnium. I very much expect to see boosters and tickets become a 3rd form of currency trafficked through the AH.

Fireblast
05-11-2013, 05:30 AM
Is this a confirmed feature? I can make a zergling guild invite a hundred random people and just draft for free with out spending any $ on this game?

Probably not at launch but it's a planned feature if I understood correctly

~

Devaux
05-11-2013, 06:32 AM
My point is if i don't need the cards.. then paying $8 to win more cards is of no value to me. And if I am going to use my winnings to just continue to play in more drafts where do i get the 1$ from if i already have the packs?

Example: I win a draft and get 10 packs lets say.. now i want to draft again.. I have the 3 packs but i need the 1$... do i go to the auction house and sell something to get platinum then use that to get in? in MTG this is easy because i can just cash all my packs out to tickets via the trade bots.

They'll probably have every in game transaction use platinum(the premium currency) including draft signups so it'll functionally work just like tickets do in MTGO.

Mushroom_C1oud
05-11-2013, 06:34 AM
You can use a pool of cards from your guild to play against other guild members, not in a tournament. Also, they are undecided as of right now whether or not they are going to allow us to sell our cards for cash. It's not quite a make or break deal for me but it is likely to affect how long I will be playing. If they decide not to allow us to sell the cards for cash I will not be trying to collect them.