PDA

View Full Version : HEX and region lock

Miracles
05-11-2013, 05:52 AM
Hi there! Couldn't stop myself from backing this game via KS as it looks just lovely.

But as this is going to be an MMO, that means there are going to be servers. Which is a matter of concern to me, as i come from Russia, a country some of the western content providers do not like to see on their servers. So, my question is - are there any plans about this game being region locked? Would really appreciate it if someone could answer that.

Sorry if this has already been asked - forum search turned up nothing.

Fireblast
05-11-2013, 06:08 AM
I'm guessing there won't be region servers
PvE will be instancied and tournaments will be worldwide.

~

Kami
05-11-2013, 06:16 AM
I think it'll be similar to Blizzard's US East, US West, Asia and similar 'gateways'.

It won't be a hard-lock but there should be a soft-lock. The reason is latency. We already know there will be a game timer. That is not to say you can't join an overseas region to play with your existing cards/decks, but you take the risk of having more latency (i.e. you lose more time per turn).

The other main reason would be load-balancing. Let's say this game becomes extraordinarily popular... having millions of players converge their data in/out of a single country also creates a single point of failure with high load. It makes more sense to spread it out through various major regions.

The only thing I could see being completely region free is AH and trading. Unless exchange rates/economy is impacted by actual monetary prices/costs.

Miracles
05-11-2013, 06:46 AM
Thank you for the replies, I really hope that there won't be any limitations as to who can play the game.

Latency is one thing, and in this game, I believe it will be even less of an issue than usual. But being unable to play a game because you have been straight out blocked from it is really disheartening.

Fireblast
05-11-2013, 06:49 AM
Asian websites relayed the info on HEX, the 1st producer is from China.
I'm pretty sure the game will be accessible worldwide

~

Miracles
05-11-2013, 07:02 AM
Thank you once more, guess there won't be any problems then.