PDA

View Full Version : PvE progression?

WWKnight
05-11-2013, 07:50 AM
As I have said numerous times, I am very excited about the PvE aspect of this game, teh dungeons and the raids. However, I can imagine scenarios and boss decks and puzzles and whatnot, the TCG aspect of the game quit well. What I am having trouble wrapping my head around is... how hard will it be?

Will it take multiple failures to learn the mechanics of fights? Will raids be cleared on the first day of its release, or will we be struggling to get through all the encounters and race for world firsts?

I plan on playing competitively, but I dont know really know if that just means more of the same in pvp all the time, or if I can be competitive with me and two friends against a raid boss.

Mushroom_C1oud
05-11-2013, 07:57 AM
I think the best scenario would be boss fights that are very difficult until you figure out a deck to counteract that specific boss. This would encourage players to develop different deck building strategies.

Jaydawg6958
05-11-2013, 08:07 AM
I figure the first two or three dungeons will be a faceroll ramping up in difficulty, then moving on to building your deck to beat a boss. That would make the most sense to me, because at dungeon one or two most players won't have a massive collection to do such a thing like creating a whole different strategy.

My biggest question is what are the puzzles that have been referred to? Is it like Magic the Puzzling? If anyone still remembers what that is.

Eldryth
05-11-2013, 09:55 AM
I figure the first two or three dungeons will be a faceroll ramping up in difficulty, then moving on to building your deck to beat a boss. That would make the most sense to me, because at dungeon one or two most players won't have a massive collection to do such a thing like creating a whole different strategy.

My biggest question is what are the puzzles that have been referred to? Is it like Magic the Puzzling? If anyone still remembers what that is.

Been wondering that too. I'm kind of expecting something like the puzzles (can't remember the name) in Duels of the Planeswalkers (those were fun, even if the game itself wasn't without deckbuilding). You and your opponent are given preset hands, field cards, and decks, and you have to complete an objective within a time limit- usually winning the battle in a number of turns or surviving long enough.

Of course, I could be completely off, but that's my guess.

Daer
05-11-2013, 09:59 AM
Been wondering that too. I'm kind of expecting something like the puzzles (can't remember the name) in Duels of the Planeswalkers (those were fun, even if the game itself wasn't without deckbuilding). You and your opponent are given preset hands, field cards, and decks, and you have to complete an objective within a time limit- usually winning the battle in a number of turns or surviving long enough.

Of course, I could be completely off, but that's my guess.

Those could be like the traps and puzzles they are talking about, that go along with the normal battles.

Thanisse
05-11-2013, 01:50 PM
I think the best scenario would be boss fights that are very difficult until you figure out a deck to counteract that specific boss. This would encourage players to develop different deck building strategies.

raid bosses that require you to build a deck containing card X< Y < Z will just be hard caps for players until they get said cards ... and will also be BORING AS HELL once you get there .

I played carte , and we formed a strategy for the hardest raids like that ... the first time we beat it it was ok ... after that it felt like a horrible grind ... all players burning mana each turn to keep boss from playing good cards , and when we ammased 3 cards that could kill him we played them , passed turn and the next turn we killed him .
it became stale and boring , and the boss had little to no chance against us .

Kami
05-11-2013, 01:55 PM
I doubt it would be a requirement to build a certain deck-type.

Chances are, it will be a tough deck and perhaps the 'boss' will have special bonuses like drawing X cards per turn or drain you 1HP per turn or something.

Remember, there is an RPG aspect and you do gain 'talents' as you level that influence the gameplay beyond just cards.

They are touting the most advanced TCG AI to date so I'd imagine it wouldn't be something so... mundane.

Socks4615
05-11-2013, 02:06 PM
On the champion page (http://hextcg.com/game/champion/), they talk about mercenaries (hang on, I'm getting to my point):

Mercenaries are available for hire should you know the right man, woman, shroomkin, or astral monkey to call. They allow you to shake up your PVE experience with new decks, strategies, and charge powers. You can enlist them to help you through tricky dungeons, or you can just decide that you’d rather be a gang-running mushroom instead. If you’re having problems with a dungeon designed around quick attackers and damage, you can call up Mooof. His shroomkin buddies will keep you high in health while you collect all the loots.

So it sounds to me from "If you're having problems with a dungeon (...) you can call up..." that you won't be required to have a specific deck type for a specific dungeon. Some decks will be better suited to certain dungeons and then may perform poorly against others, but you can tweak to try and adapt if your current deck isn't cutting it.

Mushroom_C1oud
05-11-2013, 02:22 PM
raid bosses that require you to build a deck containing card X< Y < Z will just be hard caps for players until they get said cards ... and will also be BORING AS HELL once you get there .

I played carte , and we formed a strategy for the hardest raids like that ... the first time we beat it it was ok ... after that it felt like a horrible grind ... all players burning mana each turn to keep boss from playing good cards , and when we ammased 3 cards that could kill him we played them , passed turn and the next turn we killed him .
it became stale and boring , and the boss had little to no chance against us .

Pretty sure there will be many types of combos to counteract a boss, not any specific card. What's the best way to counter a zerg deck, a counter spell deck, a direct damage deck, etc...

Blare731
05-11-2013, 02:24 PM
On the champion page (http://hextcg.com/game/champion/), they talk about mercenaries (hang on, I'm getting to my point):

So it sounds to me from "If you're having problems with a dungeon (...) you can call up..." that you won't be required to have a specific deck type for a specific dungeon. Some decks will be better suited to certain dungeons and then may perform poorly against others, but you can tweak to try and adapt if your current deck isn't cutting it.

I agree, after the video on the new update on KS they seem to have certain deck types and what not that the AI can play very well. If you feel your deck is just getting hard countered you can hire a mercenary and get the job done.

Beastmaster
05-11-2013, 11:59 PM
I dont think that we should be so quick to dismiss dungeons that require specific deck types to beat them or pose specific challenges like burn, deck wipe, control etc. I admit that the replay value would be low once conquered but they could be an invaluable tool for teaching new players about the different types of play and experience the making and breaking of different awesome combos. But they should be limited to a small percentage of dungeons with low level rewards to avoid farming once you have built the type od deck required. Deck building is an awesome part of tcg's that gets lost amongst the high level net decks of FNM.

Kurasa
05-12-2013, 02:14 AM
As far as I can tell CZE has a few of ways to create difficulty curves. One is the AI. Maybe early enemies have more forgiving AI, while late-game enemies are brutal and ruthless. Another would be deck composition. Stronger decks for harder enemies, and maybe cards that are unique to certain enemies. There's also the RPG aspect that's already been mentioned. I'm sure that there will be bosses with some hard to handle abilities. They could also modify the mechanics of fights for certain bosses, or even whole dungeons.

I like the idea of challenges that encourage players to try different deck types. I suspect some of the story interactions will encourage/discourage certain types of play depending on your choices, although not to the point of requiring a particular type of deck.

Aisriyth
05-12-2013, 03:19 AM
If they function like the WoW TCG raid/dungeon decks there are a lot of ways to make them easier and harder. Even some combo's of what bosses are picked can be incredibly brutal!

WWKnight
05-12-2013, 05:07 AM
Id like to see challenges taht have games starter with a bunch of troops in play against you and your friends, and you need to survive and handle them and turn teh game around. :)

Blare731
05-12-2013, 09:38 AM
As far as I can tell CZE has a few of ways to create difficulty curves. One is the AI. Maybe early enemies have more forgiving AI, while late-game enemies are brutal and ruthless. Another would be deck composition. Stronger decks for harder enemies, and maybe cards that are unique to certain enemies. There's also the RPG aspect that's already been mentioned. I'm sure that there will be bosses with some hard to handle abilities. They could also modify the mechanics of fights for certain bosses, or even whole dungeons.

I like the idea of challenges that encourage players to try different deck types. I suspect some of the story interactions will encourage/discourage certain types of play depending on your choices, although not to the point of requiring a particular type of deck.

They also said there will be non-card mechanics in some puzzles and also sometimes they will give you a deck instead of using your own. So it looks like it will be both interesting and challenging.

WWKnight
05-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Im stoked about this! My vote for stretch goal is a time machine to jump us to September!

JMFD
05-13-2013, 05:37 AM
You have to keep in mind at the end of the day we are talking about PvE mechanics. Essentially a thinking, learning, evolving human being ... against a math problem on steroids.

Once you learn the answer to solve the problem it then becomes repitition and a grind. CZE has stated they will have hundreds of hours of PvE content to clear and with an achievement system being implemented on top of that, there is bound to be loads to keep us entertained. However, I don't expect to see myself beating the same dungeon 100 times "for fun". I can see it being very similar to running heroics in WoW. You didn't do them all day every day because you wanted to, you did them all day everyday because you had to in order to get better gear, etc.