PDA

View Full Version : Will there be iOS or Android? How about Windows 8?

MugenMusou
05-11-2013, 08:53 AM
I could be totally wrong on this but generally speaking the digital TCG that uses instant like mechanics don't tend to show up on mobile platform. This may be due to the complexity or relative chance of prolonging the game play. Both of which apparently are not what mobile platform developers believe in. Obviously, currently HEX is listed for PC/Mac only.

Do you think there is potential that they will push this to mobile platform? I don't want to see the game to be simplified or stripped off because of the attempt to support mobile platform, so I like the way its currently going. But may be in the future, they can perhaps support part of PvE on mobile so we can HEX throughout day?

Devaux
05-11-2013, 08:58 AM
I'm too lazy to find the quote but Kyle said that the infrastructure they use will support iOS and its something they want to do eventually but not at launch.

Kami
05-11-2013, 09:00 AM
iOS will be there first mobile if they do it. As for Android... well, they're only considering it at this point (which I find to be a bit disappointing). I'd say the chances of it coming to more devices being slim at best atm.

Shoubushi
05-11-2013, 09:05 AM
If the amount of work needed to port to either iOS or Android is the same, then Android seems like the better choice. Seeing as there are more Android users than iOS.

http://techland.time.com/2013/04/16/ios-vs-android/

Kami
05-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Except with Android you have to factor in all the different types of devices (a la PC/Macs). There's also various versions of Android too. This is probably why they'd focus on iOS first as it's easier (despite my loathing for it, lol).

Xenavire
05-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Personally I hate that everything is for iOS. Android needs a few powerful exclusives, and this would be perfect, but it is healthier for the game to get as much saturation on handheld markets as it can, being an MMO.

I hope android gets some love though, at least 30% of all smartphone users have to be on android these days, and thats a big chunk.

MirriCatWarrior
05-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Convertiong to iOS will be definitely easier for a start because its basically closed system with couple of device types supported.
Android is like Windows/PC - developer hell. :)

But i want to see this game on Android too... i dont like Apple so its personal. :P

hehe

I also think that very complex game like HEX will not be a real hit on Apple platform (no offence but its just not a game that is targeted in typical Apple stuff user) so Android is very valid and more profitable (overtime) option here - imho. ;)

Xenavire
05-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Actually, I agree Mirri, I see the draw being larger on Android - every time I see an apple users, 90% of the time they are flat out stupid, and would have no patience for this kind of game, while Android is the exact opposite - mostly used by the more intelligent people, who would be likely to invest time into it.

Those aren't hard and fast rules or anything, but it is a pattern I see.

WWKnight
05-11-2013, 09:37 AM
lol, stereotyping FTW.

What do you say about people who dont have an andriod or an iOS?

Xenavire
05-11-2013, 09:51 AM
I say they probably don't have a smartphone? (Blackberry is inherently awful, and Windows phones I dont know, do they run on android?)

For those without smartphones, PC is an option. I will be playing 99% on my PC, even if my phone can handle it.

Daer
05-11-2013, 09:52 AM
They are poor.

:p

MirriCatWarrior
05-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Apple customer stereotype have deep roots in reality (like all stereotypes) but please dont go further with this... it will derail this thread and have high flame potential. :)

Blare731
05-11-2013, 09:59 AM
lol, stereotyping FTW.

What do you say about people who dont have an andriod or an iOS?

Seriously lol.

First I am using my Macbook Pro to type all this and guess what guys I own a Android. I will be SWITCHING to iPhone because I believe it has a much more sleeker design and I love the feel of the iOS much better than droid. I miss my iPod that broke a couple years ago and I've been using Google play but it's just not the same. Finally I will be building an exceptionally high powered tower over the summer to play all games on but will always keep my Macbook Pro around for travel.

So tell me again how all your stereotypes fit me again?

Edit: And I'm graduating with a CS degree next year. So feel free to call me stupid for wanting an iPhone I guess =] *cough* Hire me CZE *cough*

Honestly I love both systems and I don't think either one of them is "better" than the other. I think there are differences that help you pick which one is better for you. I just don't think people, who probably have owned both products, should comment about people who use them.

MirriCatWarrior
05-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Im sure you like to brag so you fit pretty well m8.

Also:

"Apple customer stereotype have deep roots in reality (like all stereotypes) but please dont go further with this... it will derail this thread and have high flame potential."

PLZ.

Xenavire
05-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Hey, I never said it was a rule, just a pattern. I know intelligent people that prefer Apple products, but they are often in the minority.

As for being poor, I know the feel, yet I found a clever way, carefully searching plans and figuring out my overall spending etc, and got the best phone on the best plan I could safely afford - and walked away with a decent phone, and more 3G and texts I can even use, but the phone itself was cheap as dirt - the plan is bearable, and the use I get from my phone is worth it.

Sometimes being poor and being a savvy consumer lets you get by with things that would normally outside your means - I think most people without smartphones these days probably don't like them, rather than not being able to afford them. Which is perfectly fine.

Blare731
05-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Hey, I never said it was a rule, just a pattern. I know intelligent people that prefer Apple products, but they are often in the minority.

As for being poor, I know the feel, yet I found a clever way, carefully searching plans and figuring out my overall spending etc, and got the best phone on the best plan I could safely afford - and walked away with a decent phone, and more 3G and texts I can even use, but the phone itself was cheap as dirt - the plan is bearable, and the use I get from my phone is worth it.

Sometimes being poor and being a savvy consumer lets you get by with things that would normally outside your means - I think most people without smartphones these days probably don't like them, rather than not being able to afford them. Which is perfectly fine.

I don't know I can only talk for myself, but I think Android has its benefits. I personally like iOS better. And that's all I'll say on that subject.

Moving on, I think that is awesome and I was reading about your story on the other thread when you were asking about guilds and WWKnight said hell take care of you. I was def thinking of giving you one of those free 30 packs I get to give to friends, if I am able to upgrade to GK (fingers crossed). I am not sure how the mechanic works exactly if you have to be in the same guild but definitely when the game hits, let me know if that is something you want.

On a side note: I am not trying to derail this discussion, in fact, I would rather not have it. I can't wait for this game and that's why I am trying to fuel the community by asking questions and fueling speculation. I just don't think or maybe I should say the community should not be limited and by the iOS(Apple) vs Android(Windows) debate. They should both come out, I believe that what Kyle said was that they designed the game with porting to different platforms in mind. They used a good engine that will work for both iPhones and Android.

And on to the topic on this thread,
HERE (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23024) is the original mobile thread that Kyle comments on. Please read it, I know that threads will always get brought up again by new people that haven't read all the threads which is definitely understandable, but now that you know please read =].

Xenavire
05-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Damn, you guys really know how to make a guy feel valued as a member of the community. If I wasn't so manly, I would cry. Seriously. (Especially since I am likely sharing anything I get in-game with my girlfriend and other family members and the few friends who might try it out, so I would not even be paying for a tier for only myself.)

And I was already aware of their plans (I have been reading every post... EVERY POST.) I am so addicted and there isn't anything to 'jenga' so to speak.

I don't feel like discussing android vs apple or any other platforms.

Although I would love if this could be approved for 3DS/PSVita. More handhelds is better.

Blare731
05-11-2013, 10:34 AM
I really do hope it gets very portable. Though in the entire aspect of things most of the time (probably around 90%+) would be on my desktop not actually mobile. I mean this game is something that I would have to focus on so that I can anticipate opponents, execute my strategy and come up with contingency plans if necessary. I probably won't have time for a mobile outside world when I'm playing and I personally don't like to do that when I'm with people. BUT LONG CAR RIDES WILL BE FINE.

Driving 4 hours to my school, I guess I can do a tourney now =].

C-Drive
05-11-2013, 02:05 PM
I could be completely wrong, but I remember reading someone say it was coded in Unity, which is a great engine for multi-platform support:

http://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform/

Xenavire
05-11-2013, 02:26 PM
I am pretty sure I have heard that too C-Drive, but just because it is easy, doesn't gaurantee anything. I really hope it goes multiplatform though.
At LEAST the PvE side, to play when you can't access your PC, and let you sync your account with it, to update what you may have achieved. Probably would need major limits if it had an offline mode though.