PDA

View Full Version : Pricing outside of US

deucebag
05-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Im worried about the pricing outside of US, since the dollar is usually translated directly into euro, which practically makes boosters twice as expensive outside of the US. Will this be the case in HEX, or will we get to pay in $ as well?

MirriCatWarrior
05-11-2013, 09:59 AM
1:1 currency ratios are just evil.

Dont do this :)

Make everyone equal and we all will be pay in USD or make FAIR currency (NA/EU) pricing ratios.

Thx.

Kami
05-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Everyone paying USD would still be unfair due to currency exchange rates.

Xenavire
05-11-2013, 10:11 AM
It would be more fair than 1:1 though - for example, in WoW, the player wanting to buy something off the Blizzard store gets screwed if they are from EU, it costs much more than in the US (not to mention shipping on the non-digital products, but thats a seperate issue.)

Fireblast
05-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Everyone paying USD would still be unfair due to currency exchange rates.

The editor of the game being american, they get paid in USD, so we should pay in USD and currency exchange rates will either be good or bad, but life is unfair.

~

MicZeSeraphin
05-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Yes, I really hope we can pay things in USD. If Europeans have to pay in EUR, I already know who's gonna get the short end of the stick.

djlowballer
05-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Agree with Fireblast. There is absolutely no reason for overseas players to pay in any currency but USD unless the dev starts opening subsidiaries overseas. The exchange rate may favor some nations, but it gets cancelled out by the fact Americans hold USD to begin with.

Fireblast
05-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Most europeans in TCG buy cards overseas, sometimes you get 1.5 USD for 1€, sometimes 1.2 USD.
But who cares, it's still cheaper than buying in the EU :p

~

Kami
05-11-2013, 10:18 AM
The problem with that is that USD exchange rates fluctuate.

Whereas if you offer other currencies for payment, it will be stable in your currency.

Even if they take other currencies, do you really think they wouldn't take into account currency rates? Chances are that they would lose nothing.

Considering how fluid 'cash' is, jumping from one currency to another is easy. The main issue is stability of pricing.

If 1 USD = 0.98 CAD one day and 1.03 CAD another day, that type of fluctuation is annoying.

Of course, it would only be limited to currencies which have a large difference. For example, Euro or Pound, or even RMB, etc.

Xenavire
05-11-2013, 10:19 AM
I certianly would feel the burn if they did 1:1. I am seriously looking at the king tier right now, and that is 90 euros for me (120 USD). If it was 120 euros, I wouldn't even bother.

Same with boosters and entry fees, I don't have enough money to spread around as-is.

Besides, we can buy in-game currency, if US players can pay 2 dollars on platinum, and a european player spends 2 euros and they both recieve the same amount of currency, it will cause a huge amount of hatred and distrust in the playerbase. EU players would have to invest so much more, and receive less bang for their buck.

Fireblast
05-11-2013, 10:24 AM
We'll open bank accounts in the US to pay in USD :D

~

deucebag
05-12-2013, 10:13 AM
would appreciate some official information on this

Blare731
05-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Why would there ever be 1:1 ratios? Are you telling me Blizzard charges 15E and 15$ for the same mount or something?

I've never heard of that, but I guess I never have to deal with it. If it says will you pledge $120, I don't think they care whether you pay them in Euros that are exchanged to dollars or anything else. And if they do, go to the bank ask for $120 and put it in a prepaid visa or paypal account and buy it.

Rieper
05-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Can´t remeber if blizzard does it. But i promise 1 to 1 for dollars to euro happens often! I prefer paying in $ that might be a bit higher one day because currency difference. Since i paid with €, it would most likely cost more then everytime compared to $.

Xenavire
05-12-2013, 10:35 AM
We mean in the ingame shop - the fear is not huge, but WoW and a few others do 1:1 between US and EU pricings, which screws EU over thanks to the exchange rates.

Having them share the same rate is the logical thing to do, and thats what we have to hope for, for EU players sake.

GamerPET
05-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Why would there ever be 1:1 ratios? Are you telling me Blizzard charges 15E and 15$ for the same mount or something?

I've never heard of that, but I guess I never have to deal with it. If it says will you pledge $120, I don't think they care whether you pay them in Euros that are exchanged to dollars or anything else. And if they do, go to the bank ask for $120 and put it in a prepaid visa or paypal account and buy it.

Blizzard Does it... Valve does it. For us in Europe a game that in USA costs 50$ that's 50 euros. Totally not worth buying it.

To be honest if the boosters will be in euros I would kind of ... not play this. 2$ sound ok. 10$ sounds ok but when you convert this to euros it get's to pricey.

Just so you see the difference for my real life currency:

1$ = 3.3 lei
1e = 4.3 lei

so a 10$ Starter Pack would cost 33 lei. Decent. But when you convert this to euro it's 44 lei which really goes on the high ground.

Fool
05-12-2013, 02:12 PM
From the British end we often find ourselves paying significantly more for boosters etc than our US counterparts. I'll live if i have to pay in dollars because Paypal etc make it pretty easy and while the exchange rate goes up and down its better than the horror i would face if (as tends to happen) the booster packs cost £2 in my native currency compared to the approx £1.30 - £1.60 i would pay in pounds if i'm actually paying dollars.

Xenavire
05-12-2013, 02:14 PM
I feel your pain PET. The number of games that get globally released these days are huge, and most of them are 1:1 prices at launch with US and EU prices. Down the line it can get better - or worse in some cases. Especially collectors editions.

JMFD
05-12-2013, 02:55 PM
I back this if you all tell your European counter parts to sell their stuff for dollars and not euros. I am looking at buying some 200 euro shoes. But thats not $200 for me ... thats $260 dollars.

We can call it even.

Xenavire
05-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Yeah, it goes both ways, and it sucks when you get the short end. But 1:1 does punish the higher currency - if we can pay the same, the devs get the same as they would from an American (which sounds fair, no matter where I live. I am not at all biased just because I get the short end of the stick, I have been on the other side as well before.)

Rapkannibale
05-12-2013, 03:49 PM
The moment you pre-authorize your card, it is being done in the currency listed there which is USD. They can't change the currency afterwards, pretty sure that is illegal. If they wanted to have 1:1 USD:EUR they would have had to pre-authorize the card in EUR not USD.

Xenavire
05-12-2013, 03:59 PM
...What? Are you talking about credit cards? Because that is not the issue here - the issue is the possible chance of 1:1 prices for booster sales (and decks) for US and EU currency.

They have said $2, but nothing about euro prices, so that leaves me assuming it will be dollar 100% of the time, but just to be on the safe side... Threads like this exist, hoping a dev will see it and answer.

Fireblast
05-13-2013, 03:29 AM
Exactly, some kind of an answer would be nice :)

˜

Rapkannibale
05-13-2013, 05:52 AM
...What? Are you talking about credit cards? Because that is not the issue here - the issue is the possible chance of 1:1 prices for booster sales (and decks) for US and EU currency.

They have said $2, but nothing about euro prices, so that leaves me assuming it will be dollar 100% of the time, but just to be on the safe side... Threads like this exist, hoping a dev will see it and answer.

Ah, apologies, I thought you were talking about the actual KS pledge. :) Yeah it would be good to know for the booster prices.

MtG Online charges in USD for everyone I believe. Valve has different tiers for different countries. For example they have Europe separated into three pricing tiers. They probably haven't finalized yet what they are going to do.

Even if they do 1:1 USD:EUR I wouldn't be surprised or upset. I pay the equivalent of 1.50 USD for a liter of milk in Sweden. Different countries, different economies. :)

Fireblast
05-13-2013, 05:54 AM
The thing is that wages are not 1:1 for USD and EUR.

˜

Xenavire
05-13-2013, 06:02 AM
We realise that Fireblast - but like I have said, I have been on both sides. It is the most fair way to handle it.

Although if there is a slight price change due to tax, I don't think that is unreasonable.

Fireblast
05-13-2013, 06:09 AM
@Xena, I was replying to that :

Even if they do 1:1 USD:EUR I wouldn't be surprised or upset. I pay the equivalent of 1.50 USD for a liter of milk in Sweden. Different countries, different economies. :)

My wage as an IT project manager is not 1:1 USD:EUR with an IT project manager in the US.
I cannot buy $2 boosters for 2€ and feel it's fair/have it represent the same % of my income

˜

djlowballer
05-13-2013, 06:10 AM
I back this if you all tell your European counter parts to sell their stuff for dollars and not euros. I am looking at buying some 200 euro shoes. But thats not $200 for me ... thats $260 dollars.

We can call it even.

Not really. Are the shoes sold in the US or are they a European only product? If so what is their USD price? Unless you can buy the same product in both regions without any difference you can't compare it to the 1:1 pricing of electronic goods.

Xenavire
05-13-2013, 06:13 AM
Ah, sorry Fireblast. More time wasted explaining something to someone who already knows it and agrees.

At least my tax point could be useful.

Fireblast
05-13-2013, 06:16 AM
There would be no international tax if we buy some digital ware that is in the US with USD.
The ownership of the pixels is CZE's and they are in the US.
(or am I totally wrong?)

˜

Xenavire
05-13-2013, 06:22 AM
Well we don't know American law, and digital products are hazy, but I would assume we pay no tax. I would understand if we had to however.

Patrigan
05-13-2013, 06:41 AM
I would rather not have my "euro" prices fluctuate. "Oh today can enter this tournament for 1.7€"

What i would prefer is a system where CZE lets players buy "Platinum coins" for a price and all ingame payments are done with platinum. You buy platinum up front.

This would allow for the following possibilities:
Americans buy 100platinum for 10$ (just throwing around random numbers here).
Europeans on the other hand, pay 10€ and would receive (with today's exchange rate) 129 platinum. They could then have a script that runs once a day/week/month that recalculates platinum based on the exchange rate.

I personally advise against daily recalculation.

I feel this to be the easiest approach to this system. However, god knows what the law allows and doesn't allow...

Fireblast
05-13-2013, 06:46 AM
I would rather not have my "euro" prices fluctuate. "Oh today can enter this tournament for 1.7€"

What i would prefer is a system where CZE lets players buy "Platinum coins" for a price and all ingame payments are done with platinum. You buy platinum up front.

This would allow for the following possibilities:
Americans buy 100platinum for 10$ (just throwing around random numbers here).
Europeans on the other hand, pay 10€ and would receive (with today's exchange rate) 129 platinum. They could then have a script that runs once a day/week/month that recalculates platinum based on the exchange rate.

I personally advise against daily recalculation.

I feel this to be the easiest approach to this system. However, god knows what the law allows and doesn't allow...

Not sure how changing the amount of plat you get for 100€ is any different than paying 100 plats for $100?

Anyway if they go for 100 plat = $1 = 1€ (which seems like the best conversion for cents) then I can see people selling 100 plat on PayPal for $1.10 so them and EU players profit from it

˜

Patrigan
05-13-2013, 07:03 AM
Not sure how changing the amount of plat you get for 100€ is any different than paying 100 plats for $100?

Anyway if they go for 100 plat = $1 = 1€ (which seems like the best conversion for cents) then I can see people selling 100 plat on PayPal for $1.10 so them and EU players profit from it

˜

But that's the whole point. by increasin plat per dollar, they can give european player a much more fair deal.
10$ for 100plat is today the same as 10€ for 129 plat. Basic currency conversion led me to that.

With that system, there is no need for an outside party.

I am fairly certain riot games uses a similar system (check: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Riot_Points and see how weird their riot points per euro are). I just can't find info how often riot updates this.

McKahlan
06-05-2013, 07:18 AM
I wanted to bump this subject as I haven't found any official announcement about that.
Does somebody know how the currencies will be handle? I'm not going to relaunch the debate but 1:1 is plain unfair for us, europeans. I'd rather go for the once a week update of currencies values. This way for 100$=100plat and 100e=120plat or something, depending of the current change.
Any update about that ?

madar
06-05-2013, 07:52 AM
mmm i don't see why they would not keep in USD... yes, other currencies than USD will get a converting fee. If there will be USD and EUR, there is still currencies what would get a converting fee, so only because this, pointless to change. And why they would sell anything for EUR? If they spend in USD, they want income in USD, else they can pay for the conversion...

I don't get this 1:1 conversion rate either... thats an evil thing.
The world of warcraft monthly fee is 15USD or 13EUR or 9GBP
The Scrolls Beta is 20USD or 15 EUR or 13GBP

I don't see why it would any other currencies affected in this game other than USD.

ssg13
06-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Only reason I am backing HEX is that I assume I can buy things in USD. Current exchange rates favors me. 120 USD King pack is only 90 euros and booster packs of 3 USD are 2.2 euros. You can't even buy cup of coffee with 2.2 euros in most of the places.

Edit: On side note I would accept system that 1 USD platinum is 90 cents or 80 cents in Euros. Not system like Steam has 40 USD game is 40 euros.

DjiN
06-05-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm pretty sure you will only pay in USD and will have to live with fluctuating exchange ratios.

Swordmage
06-05-2013, 09:38 AM
I'll happily take the flux, because I'm one of the people whose long term future in this game depends on being able to buy a draft for €5. I have limited discretionary funds, and this could make a difference of pretty much double the activity I have in a game.

shanDz
06-05-2013, 09:57 AM
lol I wish they would 1:1 with my currency, Id basically be getting boosters for free !

Keznath
06-05-2013, 10:06 AM
We were bakers in $, so we must buy boosters in $...otherwise it would be called discrimination !

Yasi
06-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Except Russians will use stolen Credit Cards to sell boosters, cards, etc...cheaper than everyone else in the Auction House as a way to safely launder money.