PDA

View Full Version : Analysis of the $250 tiers

Deckofmanythings
05-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Hey everyone, I know there are probably a lot of people out there who are looking at the different $250 tiers and deciding which one is best for them, so I figured I'd make use of the research/analysis/information gathering I did and give my thoughts.

The Collector

+ 6 exclusive Alternate Art PVP cards per year
+ Extra Set of King Tier Exclusives

This tier really was built with the collector in mind. You get more exclusive cards here than any other tier, both in the Alt Art and extra Kickstarter Exclusives. Since they have said that no KS reward will be available after the KS is over, then those 6 Alt Art cards that you get next year will be very valuable to people who missed out on the KS and got hooked on the game and "want to get them all". They should fetch a pretty penny on the AH, or be great trade cards.

Plus with 2x the King Tier's exclusives, you are halfway to having a full "play set" of 4x each card. You might be able to trade the Alt Art cards for more King Tier exclusives!

The Raid Leader

+1 Card in the opening hand of all players grouped with the Raid Leader
<Raid Leader>'s Blessing starting in play for all players

Ok, from a powergaming standpoint, this seems pretty huge. Although you need to realize that +1 card in the starting hand does NOT mean +1 hand size. If you don't play anything on turn 1 you will be discarding down. You also need to be cautious of having multiple Raid Leaders in a party. The bonus opening hand size stacks, so you might end up having to discard down at the end of Turn 1. I've learned that the constant card does NOT stack (which is understandable but unfortunate). Also note that these advantages ONLY are good in the PVE portion of the game.

From a vanity standpoint, you WILL be seeing a card with your character's name on it in play!

The Dungeon Crawler

+100% extra loot drop from dungeon bosses FOR LIFE!
20 random Rare/Lengendary pieces of equipment

At first blush this tier looks amazing. But let us analyze exactly what's in here. +100% extra loot includes the gold and cards dropped from dungeon bosses. We already know that dungeons ONLY drop PVE cards, which are unusable in PVP, so you'll be filling up your virtual cardbox with phat loots that are only good in half the game. If that half of the game is what appeals to you, AWESOME. If you ever plan on doing PVP you might regret not getting a more PVP focused tier instead.

As for the random Rare/Legendary equipment... obviously you want the legendary items, but the keyword here is RANDOM. We have no idea what the distribution of the rare/legendary will be, and since it's random the possibility exists of ONLY getting Rares, no legendary (hopefully the code for this reward tier has some sort of "streakbreaker" built into it to prevent this from happening, because I can see some rather disgruntled players if it did).

The Guildmaster

+10% PVE XP for the members of your guild
3x Code for 30 Booster Packs.

From a pure money-out-the-door standpoint this is THE tier for dollar value. You do not need to give away the Guild Codes, you can keep them for yourself. That's 90 extra packs ($180 value)! I know a lot of people who will pick this tier specifically for this, but let's look at the bonus XP. It's good for all the members of your guild, so it's an "evergreen" bonus, however it's not evergreen for YOU, the purchaser. (unless you want to make alts to fill your guild for some reason). Eventually your character will get to max level (getting your own 10% bonus along the way) but then the XP bonus does nothing at that point (or so we assume, it may be different in game).

With the "guild bank" having the ability to hold cards for use by all guild members, this might be the perfect "let's all chip in" tier. 2, 3, or even 24 people all chipping in to reach $250, and then divvying up the 240 packs amongst themselves. If you and a few friends want to get in on this, but don't want to outlay a ton of money on your own, I think this is the tier for you.

The Pro Player

+ One free draft tournament each week FOR LIFE
+ Entry into the exclusive Pro Player tournament for a chance at winning a 4x complete sets of release cards

Ok, this tier is getting the most attention and rightly so. You get free drafting every week. That means +45 cards added to your collection every week, for life. Of course, you want to try and WIN these drafts as well, so there is prize support to factor in! This is the best "evergreen" tier! There are already dozens of threads talking about this tier and it's potential (joining the draft to just draft rares for example), so I will leave that discussion to that thread. One thing to note is that your free weekly cards will be PVP cards by nature!

Also note that this is going to be a button next to the tournament entry that says "use my free tournament for this", you will NOT get 3 extra boosters per week to do with as you please. Also, I would bet that if you miss a week you are OUT OF LUCK, and that the "use my free" button doesn't remember that you have 2 saved up. Keep that in mind when you plan a week long trip to Disneyworld.
That Pro Player tournament looks pretty tempting as well, but consider that there will be around 2,000 players in it (Backers of Pro Player + backers of Grand King). You should also take into account how well you have done in tournaments in other CCGs. Do you regularly make it to the final table? Then I'd say you have a shot at the grand prize. If you've never placed in a tournament, or have never even PLAYED a tournament before, then do not think you will have a shot at this. CCGs are not like poker where anyone can win on a lucky enough draw.

The Grand King ($500)
Now obviously for twice the price of any tier, the Grand King includes ALL of the bonuses so this might sound like something you and a friend (who was also willing to go in at $250) chip in on. STOP. Many of the bonuses for these tiers are ACCOUNT BOUND and if the EULA is like any other MMO's EULA sharing accounts is against it. Also realize that at Grand King you only get 4 starters and 150 boosters one time!

However, if you are a single person and are torn between two tiers (and can afford it) the Grand King makes ALL THE SENSE. You get both perks you wanted PLUS three more! This last bit of logic is what pushed me into Grand King after doing all my analysis.

Hope this helps, and if I got anything wrong, please let me know and I can edit this post.

-Deckofmanythings

Daer
05-11-2013, 10:04 AM
They said the Raid Leader +1 opening hand bonus does stack.

Fireblast
05-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Raid leader +1 card stacks, the constant doesn't, it's been said somewhere on these boards

Guildmaster is part of the guild, so he gets +10% EXP too.
You also don't have to be the leader of the guild, being a member gives the non stacking to the guild

~

JoonYoungK
05-11-2013, 10:06 AM
The raid leader's blessing also does not use any resources and gets you 1 health a turn. no reson to not drop all of them first turn

Deckofmanythings
05-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks guys, I edited the original post.

Fireblast
05-11-2013, 10:10 AM
The raid leader's blessing also does not use any resources and gets you 1 health a turn. no reson to not drop all of them first turn

It doesn't stack, one blessing per game for each player

~

Daer
05-11-2013, 10:10 AM
For the Pro Player Tournament they have only announced the Grand Prize, there could be other prizes in it.

Fireblast
05-11-2013, 10:14 AM
For the Pro Player Tournament they have only announced the Grand Prize, there could be other prizes in it.

And there won't be 2K attendees, more like 500 invited, 200 showing up

~

Deckofmanythings
05-11-2013, 10:16 AM

I'm sure there will be, but that's not solid enough information to swing someone's judgement on the tier. I would bet that at least 75% of the participants don't get any prize whatsoever.

Fireblast
05-11-2013, 10:18 AM
It's easy to value Pro Tier, you get $7 a week, the $130 upgrade pays for itself after 19 weeks
The Pro tourney is icing on the cake

~

Daer
05-11-2013, 10:21 AM
My personal opinion is:

1. Pro Player
2. Dungeon Crawler (Assuming you plan to play the PVE portion of the game)
3. Guild Master
4. Collector
5. Raid Leader

Guild Master and Collector are close and probably interchangeable.

Ashenor
05-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Nice breakdown, i was torn on trying to decide which King tier to go with, i did the same and finally just settled on Grand King. In the long run it was the simple decision to go with for what it offered, and the fact all those bonus's will not be available again.

Fireblast
05-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Collector is better if you assume the Exclusive cards will be worth something and you plan on playing for several years.

~

Deckofmanythings
05-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Nice breakdown, i was torn on trying to decide which King tier to go with, i did the same and finally just settled on Grand King. In the long run it was the simple decision to go with for what it offered, and the fact all those bonus's will not be available again.

I think it's nice that the game is SO similar to M:TG that it makes analysis easier. If it was a game we were all still trying to wrap our heads around the rules of, this would be a lot harder.

Ashenor
05-11-2013, 10:26 AM
I think it's nice that the game is SO similar to M:TG that it makes analysis easier. If it was a game we were all still trying to wrap our heads around the rules of, this would be a lot harder.

I agree completely being very similar to Magic is a good thing imho.

Fireblast
05-11-2013, 10:33 AM

I don't see how this is relevant.

The Collector
+ 6 exclusive Alternate Art PVP cards per year
+ Extra Set of King Tier Exclusives

Here you have to speculate on how much will those cards cost.
you get 10 cards + 6 cards per year + 1 Lotus per day for $130
If Lotus are $0.5 you'll break even in 260 days and keep your collection.

The Raid Leader
+1 Card in the opening hand of all players grouped with the Raid Leader
<Raid Leader>'s Blessing starting in play for all players

This is worth nothing except you'll get invites to raid easily

The Dungeon Crawler
+100% extra loot drop from dungeon bosses FOR LIFE!
20 random Rare/Lengendary pieces of equipment

This could be worth alot depending on how are PvE stuff valued and how much you farm :)
Best bet for PvE junkies

The Guildmaster
+10% PVE XP for the members of your guild
3x Code for 30 Booster Packs.

Flat $180 and useless perk later in the game

The Pro Player
+ One free draft tournament each week FOR LIFE
+ Entry into the exclusive Pro Player tournament for a chance at winning a 4x complete sets of release cards

$7 a week, break even in 19 weeks

~

Mehlo
05-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Quick notes

For guild master: People keep saying it's useless later on, but dont forget that you can level as many characters as you want, plus the mercenaries. That can shave off quite a bit over time.

At the end of your post you mention if you're stuck with deciding between two, go for the grand king and get two more, it's actually three more. Just a quick little edit on that :P

Sci3nce
05-11-2013, 10:57 AM
However, if you are a single person and are torn between two tiers (and can afford it) the Grand King makes ALL THE SENSE. You get both perks you wanted PLUS three more!

Remember though, for those 3 "extra" perks, you give up 4 Starter Packs and 150 Booster packs you would get if you just bought 2x $250 Tiers. If you didn't care about those perks in the first place it's probably not worth giving up that much. Just a thought.

Mehlo
05-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Well, starters and packs are a one time investment, and honestly the first set packs will probably be a bit flooded due to kickstarter, while the other benefits can last a lot longer

Sci3nce
05-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Well, starters and packs are a one time investment, and honestly the first set packs will probably be a bit flooded due to kickstarter, while the other benefits can last a lot longer
Ya, there's already well over 100,000 booster packs already going out from the Kickstarter. First set of cards are looking to be a dime a dozen. On the other hand, 150 more boosters is 50 more drafts, and 50 more shots at prizes, whatever they may be.

Boojum
05-11-2013, 11:41 AM
From a pure money-out-the-door standpoint this is THE tier for dollar value. You do not need to give away the Guild Codes, you can keep them for yourself. That's 90 extra packs ($180 value)!

It's actually not great for pure dollar value if you're looking at upgrading from King. You could take that $130 upgrade cost and register another King account for $120, getting 150 boosters instead of 90, plus an extra set of all the other exclusive stuff.

Fireblast
05-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Again : 100K boosters is nothing

~

Socks4615
05-11-2013, 11:53 AM
With the "guild bank" having the ability to hold cards for use by all guild members,

Last I'd heard, the guild bank only has the ability to hold Decks that the members build, not individual cards for trade. And then you can "check out" a particular guild bank deck to play your own deck against. I think one of the Devs had said they were looking into something more like this, but right now at least, the guild bank is just for decks to play against.

Also note that this is going to be a button next to the tournament entry that says "use my free tournament for this", you will NOT get 3 extra boosters per week to do with as you please.

Well, you will if you actually ENTER and PLAY the tournament. You get to keep the individual cards that you play with and can trade them/sell them/do as you wish with them later. But no, it's not "here's 3 free booster packs" right up front.

Deckofmanythings
05-11-2013, 11:54 AM
It's actually not great for pure dollar value if you're looking at upgrading from King. You could take that $130 upgrade cost and register another King account for $120, getting 150 boosters instead of 90, plus an extra set of all the other exclusive stuff.

That's an excellent point. I wonder if Stretch Goals would only apply to $250 tiers and up then, that would make Guild Leader more attractive in the long run.

Storm_Fireblade
05-11-2013, 04:35 PM
I pledged for the Grand King right away and felt "awesome deal". But to be honest I do realize more and more, that this is a mistake. As someone who will enjoy the PvE a lot and is going to complete the whole campaign, bus doesn't have his focus here, guildmaster / dungeon crawler / raid leader are worth almost nothing. At least the bonusses that are kept inside the Grand King.

Now, I do get the collector items, but only the additional perks. Not the basic values. I will absolutely have to pledge for several tiers here, because I do wan't the 150 boosters and the exclusive cards etc more than once and I see the best deal for me coming from the pro player tier. I think thats where I by far am getting the most value in terms of fun (drafts / opening boosters) and money value.

So its going to be two or three pro player tiers instead I guess.