PDA

View Full Version : API support for 3rd party tools?

elsimer
05-11-2013, 02:09 PM
I suppose this could be more of a stretch goal proposal, but I read on the KS comments that they were planning on having a tablet/mobile version available in the future. What about providing an API for developers to write tools for added value? Things like card lists, deck builders, deck management tools, an easy way to link your deck to another player, push notifications with important event times and dates for starters.

Kami
05-11-2013, 02:11 PM
I'd rather see them code it in if they have to rather than offer API support.

While if it was done right, there'd be no risk but if there was even a minor issue, the security risks of compromised accounts and more would be devastating.

For a game like this, I'd prefer no 3rd party scripts/helper tools. It will also leave me with the suspicion that someone is playing with 'added' advantages.

elsimer
05-11-2013, 02:46 PM
When I say API support, I think it gives some people images of bots and mandatory addons - especially WoW players. Speaking for myself, one of the great things about CCGs in general (and a digital CCG like this one in particular) is the community it can build. A lack of tools only leads to narrowing the audience. What if I'm at an age where I can't dedicate my life to remembering exactly how many of some card I have or what the new deck strategy is? What if I enjoy the social aspects of Hex and don't feel like opening up Notepad to write down the name of each card in my deck so my son can try it for himself (or vice versa, considering the age demographics involved). I'd like a game that doesn't cater to an elitist crowd, and that means tools to level the playing field. No company can do everything that a thriving player base wants - if they could then kickstarter wouldn't exist! What's the harm in tools for developers that allow:
*being able to pull up my account's inventory offline
*reading card lore from a mobile device
* participate in guild/lobby chat from outside the game
*guild management from my website

If I have a couple hundred or even a couple thousand active players in my guild, I probably don't want to spend all day doing nothing but promoting/demoting/inviting people when I could write a script to manage that for me!

By all means, security should be tight, the API should be thoroughly tested, and the functions should be limited but I think an API would benefit the game and the community. Don't want your winning deck revealed by some scripter to pull a counter deck? Make it an opt-in or even a double opt-in system. For others, having their decks and even stats available to the public would allow for not only bragging rights but interesting metagame analysis. Want a signature with your official ranking linked? If the API supports it, that could be accomodated with relative ease!

Erebus
05-11-2013, 02:59 PM
The problem I think Kami has is that these tools could be used to get an advantage in PVP tournaments, and thus make them required or exploitative.

If you could create an add-on that keeps track of every card your opponent plays, play patterns and thus likely hand information, it takes something out of the TCG experience.

mauvebutterfly
05-11-2013, 03:16 PM
The problem I think Kami has is that these tools could be used to get an advantage in PVP tournaments, and thus make them required or exploitative.

If you could create an add-on that keeps track of every card your opponent plays, play patterns and thus likely hand information, it takes something out of the TCG experience.

Realistically, unless you and your opponent are playing at a live venue of some kind, I don't see any way to prevent people from opening a notepad document or taking out a sheet of paper for card counting purposes. As such, I'm not concerned about people abusing a program to do the same.

As long as it doesn't compromise account security, I don't have a problem with API support.

Fireblast
05-11-2013, 03:28 PM
All has to be done by CZE, no 3rd party please

~

Erebus
05-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Realistically, unless you and your opponent are playing at a live venue of some kind, I don't see any way to prevent people from opening a notepad document or taking out a sheet of paper for card counting purposes. As such, I'm not concerned about people abusing a program to do the same.

As long as it doesn't compromise account security, I don't have a problem with API support.

All which are legal in pretty much any TCG format. You can take all the notes you want.

But the focused computing power of an add-on is different. With a Constructed format, the number of archtype decks are limited and the play style is known, this allows a player with an add-on that records plays to more accurately return this information. This is a very important aspect of play that separates amatures from pros

mauvebutterfly
05-11-2013, 05:30 PM
All which are legal in pretty much any TCG format. You can take all the notes you want.

But the focused computing power of an add-on is different. With a Constructed format, the number of archtype decks are limited and the play style is known, this allows a player with an add-on that records plays to more accurately return this information. This is a very important aspect of play that separates amatures from pros

I actually didn't know that this was considered legal. I had a very competitive CCG group for a couple of years, and nobody ever tried to do anything like this. Interesting.

Seguer
05-11-2013, 05:35 PM
After seeing the Kickstarter I came to the site + forums specifically to see if there was some sort of API.

The API could implement things that have no effect on the game itself - maybe even just added information while spectating games, if Cryptozoic are looking at turning this into something bigger for the community (think "eSport" though I dislike that specific term).

As a developer myself, getting access to data and/or being able to modify and customise is one of my favourite things :D

elsimer
05-11-2013, 07:43 PM

A few possible answers to this though.
1) As I said earlier, make it an opt-in system so the 'pros' can have their illusion that nobody will screen scrape or go through any number of other loops to do so anyway. (Incidentally, wouldn't this also rule out any kind of spectator mode, since a pro doesn't want anybody to know how they play? What kind of a pro only plays one way with no adaptability??)
2) Specifically on the 'card counting' aspect, don't make the data live - delay it a few minutes or hours
3) Aggregate data that might be considered sensitive by the player (or default to aggregate data but allow the player to opt-in to individual data if they wish)
4) Along the same lines as the above, only push data in an anonymous fashion (by assigning a private guid to a player, and/or rotating that guid at some random interval) so that players have the option of disclosing their own information or analyzing it as they wish but that same data would only be available to developers who have access to the player's guid by permission.

On the other hand, allowing an API could give professionals access to powerful analysis tools that simply aren't practical in non-digital play. It could also elevate the community's play as a whole and engage those far more fond of the metagame than the actual game (some people just live for statistical analysis).

Fireblast
05-12-2013, 01:53 AM
On the other hand, allowing an API could give professionals access to powerful analysis tools that simply aren't practical in non-digital play. It could also elevate the community's play as a whole and engage those far more fond of the metagame than the actual game (some people just live for statistical analysis).

TCG is about how smart you are, not about how tooled you are

~

elsimer
05-19-2013, 09:20 AM
TCG is about how smart you are, not about how tooled you are

~
Traditionally, TCG is about how much money you can spend, not how smart you are OR how tooled you are.