PDA

View Full Version : MMO so maintenance day?

Blare731
05-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Please for the love of God do not make your maintenance day tuesday. I BEG OF YOU. I understand why it's a good day to do it. I really really do. BUT PLEASE DO NOT DO IT ON TUESDAY.

The reason for this is that when Blizzard started doing it, I noticed a trend with other companies that they would all follow suit and have theirs on tuesdays as well. Well guess what, now every tuesday EVERYTHING is in maintenance so I played xbox or something those days. I really don't want this to fall into the same pitfall.

For people that don't know why tuesday may be a good day is that:

Monday people get to come in and warm up and make sure everything is ready for the next day. Then tuesday comes and they have the rest of the week to fix bugs. That is why tuesday is a good day for maintenance. It is early in the week but has that day buffer so that everyone from friday can check that things are good to go.

And you don't want it on like a saturday or sunday morning because no1 is going to be in the office so no bug fixes. Or you have to pay people overtime to do it.

Jinuyr
05-11-2013, 05:59 PM
That's very true. They could always do the EVE Online downtime of 30 minutes each day everyday so you don't have 8 hours in one day like World of Warcraft...

Rieper
05-11-2013, 07:51 PM
So far "mmo" is really missunderstood word....

MMO do not need those long maintances if they are coded right, hell look at guild wars series. First game had almost no down time (longest was 10min and over 7 years they had something like 2 days downtime all together) and guild wars 2 a have a good bit more. It is still not much overall, most maintance here is for unexpected stuff(glitchs/bugs and exploits), hell patch/update you kicked off to download and can log straight back on.

Point is, if done right mmos do not need big weekly maintance if you make sure to coded to right.

(Last something else, is still feel MMO is rather wrong word for this game, because i have yet to see anything that makes it into a mmo. Rather call it a TCGRPG with online co-op)

Jinuyr
05-11-2013, 08:42 PM

MMO do not need those long maintances if they are coded right, hell look at guild wars series. First game had almost no down time (longest was 10min and over 7 years they had something like 2 days downtime all together) and guild wars 2 a have a good bit more. It is still not much overall, most maintance here is for unexpected stuff(glitchs/bugs and exploits), hell patch/update you kicked off to download and can log straight back on.

Point is, if done right mmos do not need big weekly maintance if you make sure to coded to right.

(Last something else, is still feel MMO is rather wrong word for this game, because i have yet to see anything that makes it into a mmo. Rather call it a TCGRPG with online co-op)

I'm curious, what elements are you looking for to define a game an MMO? Do you consider a game like Wizard 101 an MMOTCG?

It's a card game, so hopefully the downtimes minimal if any.

mauvebutterfly
05-11-2013, 10:00 PM

I agree with this. I'll grant it "multiplayer online" but it's lacking on "massively" imo. Raids with groups of three people, or even any 3v3 format that they come up with, seem like a normal multiplayer option to me.

This game looks like it's an MMO in the same way that something like StarCraft is an MMO… it's really not. There's a campaign with achievements, and there's a 1v1 competitive scene. While this game will likely have a much more interactive community than a lot of other games, the fact is that you're only interacting with a small number of people at a time while actually playing the game. A multiplayer game with an MMO-esque community?

To be fair, they haven't really shown the PvE at all, so it could be more MMO-like there. Really though, it looks like an RPG/TCG that supports some multiplayer options.

To me, an MMO involves some kind of mass action by a large group of people. Large group raids (maybe 20+ people simultaneously?) Objectives that need to be worked on as a group (guild-members must collectively defeat the monster 1000 times or inflict 100000 damage within a certain time period.) Different factions fight over the same objective (Ardent vs. Underworld perhaps, where a player selects their loyalty and then tries to complete an objective; once a faction has a certain threshold of victory over the other faction, something happens.)

I'll be honest, I don't actually play an MMO. These are just what the term suggests to me.

Blare731
05-11-2013, 10:07 PM

So you are saying WoW is not well made? I don't play anymore but I'm sorry no mmorpg comes close. It is extremely well made, that is why it has so many subscribers. And yes the stress on the computers from an MMO (Massive) player base is that it puts a lot of stress on the servers and usually every week that means a reboot of them to clean them out and defragment all the discs. Now of course if let's say CZE is running full SSDs then there would be no need to do a defragment, but I highly doubt that because they cost a lot more money on a huge scale that you need to store information. Also there will always be maintenance for cleaning out the servers as well. So I'm 90% sure there will be a maintenance day and all I'm saying is please don't make it tuesday.

fyi: The reason to defragment is because after information in a system keeps being inserted, taken out, and replaced, the disc generally has parts of information scattered across it (fragmentation) and so it takes longer for the information to be read. By defragmenting it puts all the relative information together and as a whole groups it so it is faster to read. But this process can take hours especially on big systems.

Socks4615
05-11-2013, 10:08 PM
MMO refers to how many people are capable of being in the game at the same time, regardless of whether they're all doing the same thing at the same time. Even if WoW had no raids, dungeons or group quests, it would still be an MMO.

Blare731
05-11-2013, 10:11 PM
MMO refers to how many people are capable of being in the game at the same time, regardless of whether they're all doing the same thing at the same time. Even if WoW had no raids, dungeons or group quests, it would still be an MMO.

MMO part stands for Massive Multiplayer Online. That refers to the fact that 100s of thousands of people will be on playing at the same time. They can interact with each other if they choose to and play with each other that is why it is an MMO. This is true in Hex. But I'm sure they didn't want to say MMORPGTCG because that is ridiculous

Socks4615
05-11-2013, 10:32 PM
I think the post I was replying to disappeared...or else someone slipped some hallucinogens into my orange juice.

Blare731
05-11-2013, 10:37 PM
I think the post I was replying to disappeared...or else someone slipped some hallucinogens into my orange juice.

It's ok its 1:36 here and I catch myself every once in a while forgetting words and sometimes arguing a point totally not related to the topic of the conversation at this hour lol.

Rieper
05-12-2013, 01:28 AM
So you are saying WoW is not well made? I don't play anymore but I'm sorry no mmorpg comes close. Also there will always be maintenance for cleaning out the servers as well. So I'm 90% sure there will be a maintenance day and all I'm saying is please don't make it tuesday.

DId i say somewhere that WoW was badly coded, no all i was saying is there there mmos out there that shows weekly maintance isnīt needed in same way that wow has it.(hardcore in vanilla and stopped just before pandaria. Reason i donīt like wow anymore is because new action like MMO (GW2, neverwinters and soon wildstar) just has better combat for me)

Blare731
05-12-2013, 07:49 AM
DId i say somewhere that WoW was badly coded, no all i was saying is there there mmos out there that shows weekly maintance is needed in same way that wow has it.(hardcore in vanilla and stopped just before pandaria. Reason i donīt like wow anymore is because new action like MMO (GW2, neverwinters and soon wildstar) just has better combat for me)

Alright you got me, I need to start having a stop arguing point of the night where at a certain hour I may just be reading crap wrong.

But I'm sure the guys at Blizzard have their stuff in order and is well coded. They have a player base that is really huge and that's why it always requires huge maintenance. So you can't assume that because GW had low maintenance, every MMO out there will be able to achieve such a good goal.

Rieper
05-12-2013, 07:59 AM
Honest opion about blizzard and coding lately, is not a good one. They fallen from graze for me (still gonna play heartstone :P). So i am not sure they have they servers as good they can be.

Arenanet network stuff was made by one the old of blizzard guys and they are proud of it for a reason. Also i do not expect HEX to get WOW size anytime soon if it does. Hell donīt even expect launch of it to be close to GW2s in succes. So yeah still donīt see a reason for maintance other bad code or something i overlooked.
(Do hope HEx gets amazing succes, more people to play again is always better. And no maintance can be a nice selling point)

Xenavire
05-12-2013, 08:02 AM
Wow also does patches and hotfixes fairly regularly - adding new content so often can break older content, come with bugs, etc. They go down longer to fix it (a hazard of adding so much stuff) - on most weeks it is a rolling restart only, meaning a limited downtime of a few minutes.