PDA

View Full Version : Theorycrafting Combos!

Kami
05-12-2013, 08:58 AM
So, some of the existing ideas already:

Replicator's Gambit + Pack Raptor = Tons of Raptors

http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/ReplicatorsGam_Gear_Web.png
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/PackRaptor_Alt_Gear_Web.png

Infusion of Ruby + Claw of the Mountain God = Increasingly powerful troops

http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/InfusionOfRuby.png
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/ClawoftheMountainGodWeb-215x300.png

Replicator's Gambit + Time Bug + Research Librarian = Potential for infinite turns

http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/ReplicatorsGam_Gear_Web.png
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/TimeBug-215x300.png
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/ResearchLibrarian-215x300.png

Anyone else have any great/fun ideas? :P

SriSyadasti
05-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Don't think we've enough of the PvP cards to really start building yet, having said that I have been eyeing up Cerulean Mirror Knight with turreted wall. Solid defense, free card draw every turn. Maybe with Volcannon for more of the same and Journeyman Technician to get things out quicker, potentially a great and seriously underpriced card if there are any decent artifacts out there

http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/CeruleanMirrorKnightEquipment_WEB.jpg
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/TurretedWall-215x300.png

WWKnight
05-12-2013, 09:34 AM
I was thinking the same thing. A Diamond Sapphire stall deck with Mariner to pump up all teh defense, Knight to trigger th card draw combo (and admittedly, I didnt think of the turreted wall) but I was planning on using Volcannon! im adding the wall to my deck though!

Xenavire
05-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Can we theory craft PvE too?

Just curious.

Also - http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/KingGabriel_Gear_Web.png
The green equip and gambit his dog/wolf, and he will be hard to remove without board clear, nice for boss fights. Assuming you draw the dog again, but sapphire/diamond decks could probably combo off.

Kami
05-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Theorycraft PvP and/or PvE as you want. This thread will only get more interesting as more cards are revealed.

Right now, we still don't know a few of the mechanics yet though such as hand limit, how temporary 'created' cards would affect RNG in library size, etc.

SriSyadasti
05-12-2013, 09:50 AM
PvE I'm thinking Burgamot Ebonrock as Champion,

4x Lotus Sapphire, fully equipped
4x Journeyman Technician
Lots of cheap 1 cost troops

Burgamot makes all your troops artifacts in all zones (assuming this includes deck), starts with lots of charge and can transform an artifact into any other artifact (including normally non-artifact troops in your deck) in either player's deck. Makes Jace look pathetic in comparison. So put out a bunch of 1 cost dudes, transform them into Lotuses, dig through the deck for technicians, 2 of them give you infinite card draw (and life gain with the Lotuses equipment) by reducing the cost of playing a tiger and transforming it to 3 resources. That draw should also allow you to find the third pretty easy for infinite draw, life, and mana... gg

Xenavire
05-12-2013, 09:51 AM
I think temp cards will act like real cards unless there are effects around to remove temprary cards (and only temporary cards).

I assume hand limit will be the same as the starting hand - that is usually a staple in TCG's.

Can I theory craft everything in the game + lotus? Because lotus is broken, and just so awesome.

WWKnight
05-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Research Librarian should help with that!

Xenavire
05-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Hell, theory crafting lotus with itself. It turns into a 2/1 beater with 2 card draws for free.

It isn't an infinite combo, but it sure is mean.

SriSyadasti
05-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Potentially very nice card, if artifact affinity becomes an archetype. Think here you'd still be better off with even a lame 1 cost though, bear in mind that with a single technician they can be played and transformed at a profit, and even without are cost neutral (and give a card back, two if you count the tiger, and there's a Lotus equip which lets you throw anything you don't want in your hand away to get new cards).

SriSyadasti
05-12-2013, 10:02 AM
3/1 Beater, potentially with life drain, and free threshold, do you get to choose the colour?

Fireblast
05-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Just for the record, you're aware that the replicator's gambit will upgrade and shuffe ONE raptor, the other X in your deck would be inchanged?

I don't see Replicator's Gambit being viable in PvP without a good troop tutor

~

Blare731
05-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Just for the record, you're aware that the replicator's gambit will upgrade and shuffe ONE raptor, the other X in your deck would be inchanged?

I don't see Replicator's Gambit being viable in PvP without a good troop tutor

~

Yeah it is completely viable with something like a "tinker" that let's you pick and find a card.

Xenavire
05-12-2013, 10:08 AM
The raptors aren't the best example, except for when you draw the modified one. There are far more impressive combo's that would make the gambit broken with a tutor.

Although with a tutor the raptors are very nasty. It is just not amazing without a tutor, unless you are very lucky.

At least I expet there to be better combos.

Blare731
05-12-2013, 10:10 AM
I mean to be honest having 6 copies on the ground will give u 6 6/6 raptors + any others that are already in play from the pack. It's almost an instant win at that point if they dont have any clearing cards or control from attack.

For instance:

Let's say you played 3 raptors early game. like by round 3, round 4 rep gambit it back into the deck and then round 5 tinker it back and play. At that point, you have 8 raptors on the field, where two of them can attack right away with 8/8 stats.

That's some serious power.

I don't mean to say it is the "Best" combo with reps gambit but definitely one I will be trying because even when you don't get the card back there are still advantages of the pack raptor itself.

Kami
05-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Well, part of the reason some of these combos may seem lackluster is that we don't really know of the other cards that may exist yet. We're just theorycrafting as we get more info. This is just for fun really.

Besides, some of these 'combos' could be re-adapted. :)

SriSyadasti
05-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Replicator's gambit might be good for bouncing cheap troops with good "on entering battlefield" effects, turning them into a jackpot bomb back in your deck, or if you can get temporary control of an opponents creature could be a fun way to get it off the table and again maybe set yourself up for a lucky draw later. The "draw a card" helps give it some possibilites, still not a huge fan though, unless like you say it can be paired with some good tutoring

Xenavire
05-12-2013, 10:19 AM
I agree, when we know more cards this will thrive as a topic.

As for the cat, I forgot it was a potential lifedrainer, and I also forgot it was 3/1 - much more powerful that I thought. Still fair in PvP if the effect was 'played from hand' but a lot better than I thought, and being threshold free, it can slot into any deck. Would be a permanent staple in many decks.

SriSyadasti - Being a card draw for one mana makes it potentially a freebie card (I mean it is one mana, but instant cast at the end of an oppnents turn when you had saved mana for counters etc you could get some card advantage.) A lot of good control cards have an effect plus 'draw a card' for a low cost, and this is a very good one, even if the main effect is largely luck based.

It is lackluster in the wrong situation, but it is far from bad as a card draw.

SriSyadasti
05-12-2013, 10:40 AM
If it was quick action I'd like it a lot better for just that reason, that's only an option for it in PvE though (could be good there with the right setup). And yeah, the card draw is what gives it some potential as a PvP card (freebies are always nice :)), but what is it really accomplishing for you if you don't have any way of getting the card back from inside your deck? The odds of drawing that card again naturally are very low even if it would be an instant win condition and no doubt there will be other cards available that will do more to help you win in a greater range of situations

Xenavire
05-12-2013, 10:48 AM
It isn't a quick action? My bad, need to pay closer attention. That does limit it a little more. It is still powerful however.

Drafts, however... It will be a first pick for a lot of people.

SriSyadasti
05-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Definitely makes it a whole lot better. 32 cards gives you a much better draw chance than 52, less coordinated decks make it easier to stall and sapphire's likely to have a lot of draw cards, could be pretty powerful with a little support

Xenavire
05-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Exactly what I mean - it is one of those cards that are draft gold, where other cards that are staples in constructed may get passed over due to being less useful in drafts.

I am really interested how the drafting metagame will be different to the constructed one.

Xenavire
05-12-2013, 11:25 AM
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/PrincessVict_Gear_Web.png and
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/PetulantWylde_Gear_Web.png

Those together in an opening hand could lead to a large lifedrain hit in the early turns, which doubles the effectiveness of Petulant Wyldebeest (a 6 life advantage is a lot better than a 3 life one) plus even if you get chumped you get some benefit. And later it becomes a crazy 6/6 lifedraining beater. Not too shabby.

Fireblast
05-12-2013, 11:36 AM
How do you get both white and green threshold? :D

We don't know if savanah exists yet

~

Malakili
05-12-2013, 11:38 AM
We just haven't seen enough of the set to know. I guess it is fun to come up with some basic stuff from what we've seen, but it's all provisional at best until we know more.

Xenavire
05-12-2013, 11:43 AM
I said early turns - not first turn. It doesn't need the Wyldebeest to be in your opening hand, but would you mulligan with those 2 and some resources? I probably wouldn't.

But turn 2 you could drop 2 Wyldebeest with life drain. That would hurt.

Fireblast
05-12-2013, 12:21 PM
I don't think I'll play either of these cards tbh
1/2 even for 0 might not be good, and a recurring bad blast is bad.

~

Xenavire
05-12-2013, 12:57 PM
In what world is it a bad card? You really surprised me there. I would play it even at a 3 cost - buff it a few times and watch the life gain stack up each turn, plus every troop after it gains lifedrain too? It is not a bad setup by any stretch of the imagination.

I wouldn't say it would be a staple however. Just a good card.

LargoLaGrande
05-12-2013, 01:04 PM
It depends entirely on how aggressive constructed turns out to be, as well as the quality of removal. Seeing as Extinction is 5cc, and we've seen 2 damage for 1cc in Ruby I'd guess that cards are going to be costed slightly less aggressively than MTG so its possible she will be good.

She's pretty nuts in limited though.

Xenavire
05-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Yeah, and she isn't the only one with potential - and we havent scraped the surface of what the game will offer. It just adds to my hype!

Storm_Fireblade
05-12-2013, 02:25 PM
I'm still holding back regarding the judgment about certain combos, because as far as we can tell right now, we will have to get used to a different power level in HEX. The permanent upgrades and stuff will go a long way to ensure that. So its still hard to tell how much something like a 5/5 troop is worth in the end.

I do have to play the Petulant Wyldebeest (http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/PetulantWylde_Gear_Web.png) though. Its awesome :D

Xenavire
05-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Good point, but from what we have seen, certian cards are looking more attractive than others.

Erebus
05-13-2013, 12:36 PM
I have my PVE combo.

I planned to play a Mephistophelius Based champion deck, taking advantage of his level 5 and 10 powers mostly.

I intended to make a Sapphire/Artifact dwarf deck, but I think I'll included 4 copies of Ascetic Aspirant.

Make my deck Sapphire/Diamond/Artifact.

With Mephisto getting him to the Transcendent is easy, and then you have a free tutor every draw.

I know that Mephisto doeesn't get a draw phase, but with his level 5 ability and other Sapphire based draw engines, you can skip around his health lose effect.

Suddenly Replicator's Gambit is really easy to pull off in my PVE deck.

StormKing
05-13-2013, 04:15 PM
PvE I'm thinking Burgamot Ebonrock as Champion,

4x Lotus Sapphire, fully equipped
4x Journeyman Technician
Lots of cheap 1 cost troops

Burgamot makes all your troops artifacts in all zones (assuming this includes deck), starts with lots of charge and can transform an artifact into any other artifact (including normally non-artifact troops in your deck) in either player's deck. Makes Jace look pathetic in comparison. So put out a bunch of 1 cost dudes, transform them into Lotuses, dig through the deck for technicians, 2 of them give you infinite card draw (and life gain with the Lotuses equipment) by reducing the cost of playing a tiger and transforming it to 3 resources. That draw should also allow you to find the third pretty easy for infinite draw, life, and mana... gg

It doesn't look like Burgamot transforms artifacts, Burgamot starts with a card "Reverse Engineering" that is Pay 2, look at all the equipment cards in all players' decks and "inscribe" it onto Reverse Engineering, then at any point you can pay X to turn Reverse Engineering into that artifact where X is the cost of the card. Essentially, Reverse Engineering is a slightly glorified Artifact Tutor... it doesn't look like it lets you turn all of your artifacts into other artifacts. The idea is that he's finding an artifact and then making it himself.

SriSyadasti
05-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Ah, that makes sense, cheers for the clarification. Thought it seemed a bit OP'ed

Tyrfang
05-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Does anyone know if you can only have one piece of equipment equipped on a card at a time, or if you can have as many as there are slots?

Also, whether or not equipment always be paired with a single card, or will they work with several cards, each with a slightly different effect?

Kami
05-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Does anyone know if you can only have one piece of equipment equipped on a card at a time, or if you can have as many as there are slots?

Also, whether or not equipment always be paired with a single card, or will they work with several cards, each with a slightly different effect?

You can only equip as many as there are slots and I'm not sure if equipment is limited to a specific card or if you can use any equipment on any card.

The second question is more important to me, would I need to equip every single card in my deck individually with multiple sets of the same equipment or can I just equip what ever I have as many time as I need (like gems)?

StormKing
05-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Ah, that makes sense, cheers for the clarification. Thought it seemed a bit OP'ed

No problem, Spectral Lotus with that Merc is a great card (basically pay 2 to draw a card, gain 3 threshold and get a black tiger in your hand), but not quite as powerful as you thought. :P

Tyrfang
05-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Also curious as to whether or not equipment cards will be in booster packs. If not, how would you even get them in PvP? Crafting only?

LargoLaGrande
05-13-2013, 05:05 PM
I believe they've said that equipment is pve only.

StormKing
05-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Also curious as to whether or not equipment cards will be in booster packs. If not, how would you even get them in PvP? Crafting only?

Equipment is PvE only.

Xenavire
05-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Equips go on your champion, and theres 6 slots, one for each kind (shoes/weapon/gloves etc).

Tyrfang
05-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Are you sure about that?

http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/HEX_ASSET_48.jpg

The PvP cards will have gear, but will equipping it mean that you can only use it in PvE decks?

Xenavire
05-13-2013, 05:12 PM
The equips can only go on your PvE champs - that means the PvP cards can only gain the effects in PvE. PvP is unnafected.

StormKing
05-13-2013, 05:12 PM
Are you sure about that?

http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/HEX_ASSET_48.jpg

The PvP cards will have gear, but will equipping it mean that you can only use it in PvE decks?

What Equipment Does
Equipment is exclusive to the PVE campaign. Every piece of equipment in the game is associated with a card. Its effect is related to the card it is attached to, improving it in some way by reducing its cost or changing the way it functions to create different deck-building opportunities. As your appreciation for specific cards grow, you’ll definitely want to chase down the associated equipment to make your favorites even better. Each card has two or three pieces of equipment. Collect them all!

I would assume when it says "Equipment for the PvP cards" it's talking about "To use those cards in PvE".

LargoLaGrande
05-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Since equipment goes on your hero, and you don't use your pve heroes in pvp (you use a pre-defined set of champions) you can use pvp cards in both pve/pvp but if you have equipment for them they would only get the bonus when you're using the pve hero that has that equipment equipped. There's really no chance of card specific equipment in pvp, its hard enough to balance TCGs without including modifications to cards on the level of some of the equipment we've seen.

Tyrfang
05-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Thanks, that clears it up.

Weird that there's someone designing PvE-only equipment for the PvP card set.

Boojum
05-13-2013, 05:16 PM
http://hextcg.com/equipment/

You don't equip the equipment on the card, you equip it on your champion, and you have a total of six slots. If there's a card that has three linked pieces of equipment, you can equip all three of them to make that card incredible, but then you only have three slots left to allocate among the rest of your deck.

I haven't seen anything about equipment that improves multiple cards, and doubt that they would do that except possibly for some super-legendary.

Edit: Whoops, late with this response.

Also today's video talks about equipment in more detail.

Daer
05-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Equipment is PVE only and you can equip your hero with 6 pieces of equipment. Each piece of equipment only affects a certain card.

Edit: slow pony

ShaolinRaven
05-13-2013, 06:50 PM
I'm not theory crafting specific cards yet, especially since they might change once beta opens and the devs start getting feedback. That being said my first two decks are looking to be a Saphire + Ruby Dwarf and Artifact deck and my second a Wild + Blood (maybe with a facet or two from Saphire for Replicator's Gambit) Shen'hare deck. Both will be modified for a PvE and PvP version. Also for fun I might make a Shen'hare/Coyotle deck and try and theme it off the Redwall series.

I was initially looking forward to a Vennen race deck, but since they aren't going to be focused on in the basic set I'll wait on that one.

With every CCG I've played I always theme my deck names off of different types of references and I think I'm going to use quotes as my naming convention, using TV, poetry, books, and short stories for a sentence that fits the theme of the deck for the deck's name (depending on how long a deck's name can be).

Xenavire
05-13-2013, 06:53 PM
I just noticed looking at the Black Tiger, it seems to have the same rarity as a token/created creature. Will this impact our ability to put it into a deck? Could we only run it if we get it FROM the lotus during a game?

I hope we can run it anyway - and it must go in our collections to be tradable for a lotus. I wonder if other token creatures can be added to decks normally? Etc.