PDA

View Full Version : How many Starter Decks will there be?

alpha5099
05-12-2013, 07:26 PM
I haven't pledged yet, and I'll probably be aiming for one of the lower tiers (probably Captain, maybe Knight). One of the questions I've had is how many different Starter Decks will be available at launch. How are they divided up? Are they race-based? In which case, there could be 8 starter decks, or maybe just 4, as the website seems to indicate that the first set will focus on the humans, orcs, dwarfs, and shin'hare. Or are they color-based, so five decks, one for each of the domains of magic?

Regardless of my backing, I'll receive a starter deck and booster on account creation, correct? So with Captain backing or higher, would I be looking to have five starter decks total?

(And apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. The search function didn't turn up the answer.)

Socks4615
05-12-2013, 07:47 PM
The art for the Starter Decks in the rewards tiers makes it look like the starter decks are split by faction (that is Ardent or Underworld) but I'm not sure if that's CZE's "final answer" on that or just placeholder art they put in there. More than that right now, we don't know, and I'd love an official answer on this, too!

Also, yes, you will get the starter & booster for free regardless of which tier you pledge at, so at Captain or higher, you'd get your 4 starter decks + 1 free.

alpha5099
05-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Hmm, I noticed that the included Starter Decks for the Squire and Warrior tiers lists them as "2 Starter Decks (your choice)" and "3 Starter Decks (your choice)." Every other tier offering 4 Starter Decks makes no mention of "your choice," so I guess that might mean that there'll just be four decks at launch. And does that mean you will always get one of each decks, or could you choose to get multiples of the same deck among your four?

Socks4615
05-12-2013, 07:53 PM
The ones with 4 Starter Decks say "Your Choice" - at least in the reward tier *images*. Maybe they just ran out of text room with all the other stuff they had to put in.

Tyrfang
05-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Just speculation, but they'll probably start off with 1 of each gem type/magic type, so five total. Mono decks are easier to tinker with for people who haven't played any sort of TCG before.

Kurasa
05-12-2013, 08:28 PM
I think it would be nice to have a starter deck for each race. Seems like that would mesh well with the PvE side of things.

mauvebutterfly
05-12-2013, 08:36 PM
In magic a starter deck is a random assortment of cards, right?
Maybe you get to choose between random ardent and random underworld cards.

Tyrfang
05-12-2013, 08:51 PM
MtG starters are constant sets of cards set around a theme.

ShaolinRaven
05-12-2013, 08:57 PM
MtG used to have starters that were just random cards, then they had constructed starters that had specific themes and a set of cards that ended up being a base themed completed deck. I wonder if Hex is going to use the "random cards starter" or the "themed starter" approach. I'm hoping for the second option with the focus of random cards being boosters, because that would also help get into expansions with "themed starters" for the different races or factions being pre-made with the expansion themes in mind.

Tyrfang
05-12-2013, 09:11 PM
Considering they are making the starters the freebie set for newbies, playable out of the box, theme decks would be the way to go. Although maybe they'll offer an advanced random one for purchase?

Erebus
05-12-2013, 09:13 PM
The 60 card packs of random cards don't really exist anymore in pretty much any TCG, normally it's pre-constructed decks and Booster packs.

I've seen fat-packs which are normally a bunch of lands and a bunch of boosters.

But Hex's starters are almost definitely pre-constructed themed decks.

alpha5099
05-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Received an answer from CZE. Four decks, centered around the featured races (which I believe are Human, Orc, Shin'hare, and Dwarf in this first set).

Cryptozoic Entertainment says:
Hello,

We are currently planning on four starters, each centering around one of the featured races.

Thanks.

Tyrfang
05-14-2013, 01:06 PM
Makes sense, then, why they stop giving out more starters after the 4th.

Turtlewing
05-14-2013, 01:29 PM
MtG used to have starters that were just random cards, then they had constructed starters that had specific themes and a set of cards that ended up being a base themed completed deck. I wonder if Hex is going to use the "random cards starter" or the "themed starter" approach. I'm hoping for the second option with the focus of random cards being boosters, because that would also help get into expansions with "themed starters" for the different races or factions being pre-made with the expansion themes in mind.

MTG has "theme decks" which are pre-consucted decks, and "tournament packs" which are random cards (basically 3 boosters + 5 of each basic land and an extra uncommon card). "Starter Sets" have been anything from a pair of theme decks and random swag to a single tournament pack depending on when in the lifetime of the game you asked.

Since there is an ability to choose a starter I'd bet on starters being more like Magic's theme decks. Though there's no reason they could do something different in Hex